facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 8, 2012, 02:44 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: The Champion
Default Just how popular is cricket in Bangladesh?

Okay, people must think this is a stupid question. But I have to ask this, I really think we aren't that crazy. Mind you, I am not saying we don't love cricket that much, but I think the passion is certainly less than India. Yes, there were journalists and media people who told the excitement was more in Bangladesh than in India during World Cup, but lets face it. In a day ODI match, you dont see full houses, in the recently concluded BPL, three quarters of matches were played in empty stands, crowds never come to see tests. Well, people will argue this is due to because we cant compete, but I have a counterpoint. During 2005 Zimbabwe home series, there was a local report which moaned the fact there wasn't a full house to witness the last day of the test we won. Even the last day of 2nd test, which was at an interesting point, there was barely anyone. And in matches where we put up fights, like in Fatullah, the last day had no one come in. So the point fails because people would have come to atleast see where we had a shot at winning. Compare this to India, or even Australia, where cricket is actually followed in large numbers, see their test macthes, the odis, and even their local domestic t20s or big bash. Its a big hit. What about BPL, Chris Gayle slamming those sixes into empty stands. I think people confuse our celebrations to think we are cricket crazy, but maybe we arent that passionate after all. A hypothetical scenario would be: suppose there was a 100,000 stadium in the busiest and most easily accessible place of Dhaka, and say Bangladesh is playing some attractive test cricket, and making a good comeback, but still I guess we wouldnt see the same numbers like how you can expect crowds in Kolkata when India is playing that sort of cricket, ofocurse given the oppsoition is a top quality team. So things like that kind of convinces me we still arent that obsessed with this game, as maybe say India, or Pakistan are. Part of the reason is the game is only a hit amongst the younger geenration. Probably, when this generation becomes old, then we'll have an entire population whose first choice will be cricket!

Old June 8, 2012, 03:13 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

We are crazy about "Bangladesh Cricket" but only few are crazy about "Cricket".
Old June 8, 2012, 03:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
We are crazy about "Bangladesh Cricket" but only few are crazy about "Cricket".
Well, I was talking about Bangladesh cricket actually if you referred my post, not about any other cricket match being played in Bangladesh.
Old June 8, 2012, 03:33 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

On the contrary, I believe the popularity level is already high. Don't take BPL as the yardstick since the ticket prices were too high and all of the games were played in two venues only. Also, people have day jobs and cannot afford to come to stadium always unless it's a holiday. Rest assured that doesn't mean they don't follow the games by other means. So your argument is void TBH.
Old June 8, 2012, 03:40 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of BD
Well, I was talking about Bangladesh cricket actually if you referred my post, not about any other cricket match being played in Bangladesh.
What I was trying to say is "Bangladesh" is the magic word here.
Old June 8, 2012, 03:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habib
On the contrary, I believe the popularity level is already high. Don't take BPL as the yardstick since the ticket prices were too high and all of the games were played in two venues only. Also, people have day jobs and cannot afford to come to stadium always unless it's a holiday. Rest assured that doesn't mean they don't follow the games by other means. So your argument is void TBH.
How come there are crowds in Australia for test matches, or in India in major cities for a big test match. West Indies used to have capacity crowds too when their team were good back even till late 90s. I remember the Australia vs West Indies 1998 series, where the test series was very well attended. Infact, the crowds were the reason why the series was so intriguing that added to the drama, including Lara's epic 153. So just the argument that people have day jobs is not a good enough reason, although it can be one of the reasons why you dont see bigger crowds generally in day games.
Old June 8, 2012, 03:45 AM
Street Cricketer

I think we are not that crazy about Cricket as some media say or is claimed. We are very much interested in Cricket currently because it is the only sport where we are performing in the international arena. If you look at the history of our country or the nature of Bangalis,you'll see that we are historically football fanatics. Our local football is in a very poor state right now,that's why we don't see crowd in football matches but most kids in Bangladesh play football most of the time in the year. The passion and madness for football (specially Abahani/Mohamedan) that existed during the late 70's and 80's was way more than the interest we show in cricket now a days.
Old June 8, 2012, 03:47 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: tamim,sakib

আমরা ক্রিকেট পাগল !! পাগল !! পাগল!!! পাআআআআআআআআআআআআআআ আআআআআআআআআআআআআআআআ আআগওওওল :l ove:
Old June 8, 2012, 03:51 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd
আমরা ক্রিকেট পাগল !! পাগল !! পাগল!!! পাআআআআআআআআআআআআআআ আআআআআআআআআআআআআআআআ আআগওওওল :l ove:
Greatest reply ever.
Old June 8, 2012, 03:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatsu-oga
I think we are not that crazy about Cricket as some media say or is claimed. We are very much interested in Cricket currently because it is the only sport where we are performing in the international arena. If you look at the history of our country or the nature of Bangalis,you'll see that we are historically football fanatics. Our local football is in a very poor state right now,that's why we don't see crowd in football matches but most kids in Bangladesh play football most of the time in the year. The passion and madness for football (specially Abahani/Mohamedan) that existed during the late 70's and 80's was way more than the interest we show in cricket now a days.
Very insightful statement you just made there. Well, yes, I get the same feeling too, although I have never experienced the 70s 80s era because I wasnt even born then.
Old June 8, 2012, 04:11 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of BD
How come there are crowds in Australia for test matches, or in India in major cities for a big test match. West Indies used to have capacity crowds too when their team were good back even till late 90s. I remember the Australia vs West Indies 1998 series, where the test series was very well attended. Infact, the crowds were the reason why the series was so intriguing that added to the drama, including Lara's epic 153. So just the argument that people have day jobs is not a good enough reason, although it can be one of the reasons why you dont see bigger crowds generally in day games.
We don't have big crowds in tests because we don't even go to winning position most of the time let alone win it. Once we start winning the people will go to the stadium in large numbers.
Old June 8, 2012, 04:12 AM
MLC World Series I

During my childhood whenever I used to sit down with my Dad to watch football, he always used to talk about Mohamedan-Abahani rivalry and how he and his brothers went to the stadium to watch the match. Never took my dad's word seriously at the time. As I grew up and did my research, found out it was quite a rivalry and passion back in the days.
Old June 8, 2012, 07:02 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

I really don't think you can separate the passion for cricket between sub-continental teams. The expressions are, however, different. Some are more likely to burn, others are more likely to stick together, or show more patience. Some might bring bigger flag at the stadium than other, but the passion is same.
Old June 8, 2012, 07:23 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: virat kohli

I am not from BD. but i just love the passion that Bd fans have. Despite their teams poor record , BD fans flock to to stadium to watch their heroes even though they went home disappointed most of the time, but their love for cricket brought them back. Although performance of BD in Asia cup were great to follow and it has raised hopes of the fans that now their team has started to realise their true potential, so more wins will follow this and cricket will just go more popular.
Old June 8, 2012, 08:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Bangladeshi's find test cricket too old and boring. They love ODIs because its exciting.
Old June 8, 2012, 09:03 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Test matches don't have high attendance in subcontinent. India pulls decent test crowds if its against Eng or Aus. On the other hand, Eng/Aus are more traditionalist and pulls more test crowds and they usually get sold out.

You are right that historically we have been football fanatics. The whole Bengal region (including West Bengal) were the football center of the entire subcontinent. Only when the quality went down, cricket started to pick up. But I don't agree with young generation not following. I grew up in the 90s, and at the time the state of football were as low as now. So I followed nothing but cricket and became a huge fan. The only time I saw BD football was when they beat India in some SAAF games final.

But nowadays, among the younger generation the trend of football is coming back in the forms of EPL, La Liga, Champions League. But all these kids also love cricket as well. In fact, Cricket is as popular as it ever has been.
Old June 8, 2012, 10:51 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

I think the football craze back in the 70's and 80's was simply because of no access to international sports. People back then didn't have ESPN, star sports or anything. The only source of entertainment was BTV and Abahoni, Mohamedan, East Bengal, Mohonbagan clash.
On the other hand people nowadays get to watch matches around the world, and realized the difference, There is no way BD can be a world power, forget world power not even an Asian power..so people stopped following Deshi Football.

Cricket on the other hand started gaining popularity simply because that's the only sports where BD has a realistic chance of becoming a major power in the world. And we are on our way there. Just take a look at the craze involving Shakib, Tamim nowadays. People from around the world love them. Can't say the same for Munna,Aslam,Shabbir,Rumi...
Old June 8, 2012, 01:07 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Indians

Dont know how popular "cricket" is but when its "bangladesh cricket' oh boyyy!!! it popular alright! NO sports can take over this beautiful sport called Cricket.
Old June 8, 2012, 04:17 PM
Cricket Savant

Cricket is popular in Bangladesh, but Bangladesh is not popular in cricket.
Old June 8, 2012, 06:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Actually the cricketing crowds are heavily decreasing (but this is for one day games). For test cricket there still are a 30,000 strong crowd usually
Old June 8, 2012, 07:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Aussies love test cricket. Test cricket is really good to watch only if strong oppositions are playing. Bangladesh arent a strong enough team in tests to attract crowds.
Old June 9, 2012, 02:40 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

actually without Bangladesh cricket team playing cricket i dont see any fuss about cricket...Europe league football is more popular then cricket in dhaka
Old June 9, 2012, 07:05 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

compared to Ind or Pak cricket isn't that popular in BD.
It's a religion in Ind or Pak, a daily topic in every house,played in every oli goli.
that's not the case in BD.
like I think I'm the only regular follower in my choddo gushti. :/

And the fact that we don't play too many cricket matches in a year and most of the matches are played in Mirpur,whenever BD is playing it's bound to be a full house.
Old June 9, 2012, 09:24 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: tamim,sakib

কমেন্টগুলো পড়ে অনেকেরই মনে হতে পারে যে মিডিয়া যতটা বলে আসলে ক্রিকেট বাংলাদেশে ততটা জনপ্রিয় না। অবশ্যই সবার নিজ নিজ মতামত থাকবে । বাংলাদেশে খেলাধুলার কথা তুলতেই অনেকে ৭০-৮০ এর আবাহনী -মোহামেডানের ফুটবলের কথা বলেন । আমার কথা হলো কোন খেলা যদি এতদিন ধরে এতটাই জনপ্রিয় হয়ে থাকে তাহলে রাতারাতি ওই খেলা একটা অজনপ্রিয় হলো কেন ? কেনই বা ফুটবল স্টেডিয়ামগুলো এখন দর্শক শুন্য থাকে ? মনে রাখতে হবে যে ৭০-৮০এর দিকে বাংলাদেশে ক্রিকেটের তেমন চলই ছিল না । ভারত -পাকিস্তানের ম্যাচ নিয়ে যা একটু হইচই হত আরকি। কিন্তু ৯৭এর আইসিসি ট্রফি জেতার পর থেকেই সবকিছু বদলাতে থাকে । আমার মতে দেশীয় ফুটবলের প্রতি মানুষের আগ্রহ ছিল একটা তাসের ঘর যেটা ভাঙতে বেশি সময় লাগে নি । যদিও দুই ভিন্ন চ্যানেলে একটিতে যদি বাংলাদেশ ছাড়া অন্য কোন দলের খেলা থাকে এবং অন্যটিতে বিদেশি ফুটবল খেলা থাকে তাহলে হয়তো ফুটবলটাই অনেকে দেখবেন । নিচের লিঙ্কে গেলে বাংলাদেশে ক্রিকেট খেলার জনপ্রিয়তা কিছুটা হলেও আচ করতে পারবেন
http://www.prothom-alo.com/home/date/2012-03-22
আমাদের দেশের ছেলেরা আবার সিজন বুঝে খেলে । শীতে আপনার মনে হবে যে ব্যাডমিন্টন বুঝি এদেশের সবচেয়ে জনপ্রিয় খেলা !! বর্ষায় বুঝি ফুটবল । কিন্তু বারো মাসই আবহাওয়ার শত চোখ-রাঙ্গানির পরও যে খেলাটা চলতে থাকে সেটা কিন্তু ক্রিকেট । আমার নিজের এলাকার মাঠেই আমরা ক্রিকেট খেলার জন্য পকেটের পয়সা খরচ করে পিচ বানিয়েছি । এই বর্ষাতেও নিয়মিত ক্রিকেট খেলতে মাঠে যাই সারাদিন ক্লাস করে । বড় কোম্পানির এক্সিকিউটিভ থেকে শুরু করে পানের দোকানদার পর্যন্ত সবাই একসাথে ক্রিকেট খেলি । WE CRICKET
Old June 9, 2012, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd
কমেন্টগুলো পড়ে অনেকেরই মনে হতে পারে যে মিডিয়া যতটা বলে আসলে ক্রিকেট বাংলাদেশে ততটা জনপ্রিয় না। অবশ্যই সবার নিজ নিজ মতামত থাকবে । বাংলাদেশে খেলাধুলার কথা তুলতেই অনেকে ৭০-৮০ এর আবাহনী -মোহামেডানের ফুটবলের কথা বলেন । আমার কথা হলো কোন খেলা যদি এতদিন ধরে এতটাই জনপ্রিয় হয়ে থাকে তাহলে রাতারাতি ওই খেলা একটা অজনপ্রিয় হলো কেন ? কেনই বা ফুটবল স্টেডিয়ামগুলো এখন দর্শক শুন্য থাকে ? মনে রাখতে হবে যে ৭০-৮০এর দিকে বাংলাদেশে ক্রিকেটের তেমন চলই ছিল না । ভারত -পাকিস্তানের ম্যাচ নিয়ে যা একটু হইচই হত আরকি। কিন্তু ৯৭এর আইসিসি ট্রফি জেতার পর থেকেই সবকিছু বদলাতে থাকে । আমার মতে দেশীয় ফুটবলের প্রতি মানুষের আগ্রহ ছিল একটা তাসের ঘর যেটা ভাঙতে বেশি সময় লাগে নি । যদিও দুই ভিন্ন চ্যানেলে একটিতে যদি বাংলাদেশ ছাড়া অন্য কোন দলের খেলা থাকে এবং অন্যটিতে বিদেশি ফুটবল খেলা থাকে তাহলে হয়তো ফুটবলটাই অনেকে দেখবেন । নিচের লিঙ্কে গেলে বাংলাদেশে ক্রিকেট খেলার জনপ্রিয়তা কিছুটা হলেও আচ করতে পারবেন
http://www.prothom-alo.com/home/date/2012-03-22
আমাদের দেশের ছেলেরা আবার সিজন বুঝে খেলে । শীতে আপনার মনে হবে যে ব্যাডমিন্টন বুঝি এদেশের সবচেয়ে জনপ্রিয় খেলা !! বর্ষায় বুঝি ফুটবল । কিন্তু বারো মাসই আবহাওয়ার শত চোখ-রাঙ্গানির পরও যে খেলাটা চলতে থাকে সেটা কিন্তু ক্রিকেট । আমার নিজের এলাকার মাঠেই আমরা ক্রিকেট খেলার জন্য পকেটের পয়সা খরচ করে পিচ বানিয়েছি । এই বর্ষাতেও নিয়মিত ক্রিকেট খেলতে মাঠে যাই সারাদিন ক্লাস করে । বড় কোম্পানির এক্সিকিউটিভ থেকে শুরু করে পানের দোকানদার পর্যন্ত সবাই একসাথে ক্রিকেট খেলি । WE CRICKET
Lol, like it, touching post