facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old December 9, 2013, 12:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Sounds like you are invoking the Bangladesh version of Godwin's law.

I hereby consider my very first world problem OP now entirely hijacked.

Let us just invoke the Lord's Prayer and retire.
Yup, the thread has been hijacked. Seems like these discussions always evolve in this particular way.

**Reciting the Lord's Prayer in my head**

Old December 9, 2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah
If you disagree with the law you go after the "law makers" not the "lawyers".
You go after both in country like Bangladesh.

Here's why:

Both BNP and BAL employs their party loyal in all over the judicial system whenever they are in power to manipulate the law. Most of these "lawyers" are corrupt and do not even meets the minimum qualifications/criteria to be there...
Old December 9, 2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
True, but that is exactly what they are doing, aren't they. Both. And the third, fourth, fifth ad infinitum, ad nauseum.
Yes Zunaid bhai. ^^^ that's the unfortunate part.

We are all culprits and thus the sufferings...will continue unless we change ourselves.
Old December 9, 2013, 03:05 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahaz
I am in Bangladesh right now, and am stuck in an apartment with family. Not great.

What is worse is I do not see this ever changing. The problem is not the two evil "neta/netris". It is the millions who support the idea of there being only one type of politics existing in th ecountry, and that is their own type. If you are Awami supporter BNP should not exist. If you are BNP, Awami League should not exist. If you are Jamaat, democracy (and Bangladesh??) should not exist.

I fully condemn the disgusting violence and murder of 100s of people in the name of politics. However, I am 90% sure that the party in power will not do the same if in opposition. The other 10% is hope. Hope that the public rejects the violent brand of politics in this country.

I do not see the mass in Bangladesh as intelligent. It IS all of you who are responsible for those in power being total loonies. A true patriot with good intentions will never be able to rule this country, Because you, the public, do not support it.
I will InshahAllah visit BD soon. It will so frustrating to see these vile destruction politics live.

however I wouldn't mind staying at home as it will allow me to spend more time with family and refuse all the flood of dawats.
Old December 9, 2013, 10:37 PM
BC Editorial Team

Regards, the PC, I usually don't like saying this, but "I told you so!"
We are still on schedule to leave for end of December but will check with Emirates to see my options. I have the 3Zs and a wife in tow and can't take too much chances. Any ideas?
Old December 9, 2013, 11:49 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
All brown people smell like geera, roshon, and other spices.
It's roshun dude.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old December 9, 2013, 11:56 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

^^ and also, its not 'geera', its 'jeera'
Old December 9, 2013, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
It's roshun dude.
Well, if we're gonna be anal.

And jeera too.
Old December 9, 2013, 11:59 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Btw, a positive side of all these hartals is that less traffic on the roads. You can visit more places in a day if you want to.
Old December 10, 2013, 12:40 AM
BanglaCricket BPL Fantasy League Winner 2012

Favorite Player: To Bash = AshDaFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
Btw, a positive side of all these hartals is that less traffic on the roads. You can visit more places in a day if you want to.
If you can stay alive of course
Old December 10, 2013, 09:50 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
Regards, the PC, I usually don't like saying this, but "I told you so!"
We are still on schedule to leave for end of December but will check with Emirates to see my options. I have the 3Zs and a wife in tow and can't take too much chances. Any ideas?
SFO to DXB? Thats a long azz flight bro.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old December 11, 2013, 03:31 PM
Cricket Sage

AF-er desh koi?
Old December 16, 2013, 05:37 PM
BC Editorial Team

Put mine off too.
Old December 18, 2013, 07:26 AM
Cricket Guru

I'm in Dhaka now. It's actually quiet good. hahaha No traffic jams no nothing. I'm interning with BRAC so from Dhanmondi (where I am atm) to Mohakhali (BRAC Office) it takes me 10 minutes by car :P I've never been anywhere in 10 mins before in Dhaka. But, there is always that risk. everyone in my house is super concerned about me when I'm going to work and coming back, but to me it's like a super cool adventure. Trying to ensure I dodge them cocktail bombs if they go off, always being alert. It's a different experience and a pretty cool one if I must say so. HAHAHAHa (you all probs think I'm crazy).
Old December 18, 2013, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Stay safe everyone. Hoping sanity will prevail amongst the politicians.

But you know what - amazing country. The politicians are so concerned about your health and well being, that they have arranged for your representatives to be elected without you having to lift a finger, let alone leave the house. With more than 50% 'elected' one might as well call it done. That's democrazy for you.
Old December 18, 2013, 03:43 PM
Cricket Sage

Very confusing Situation. In one hand we see all the news of destruction and fire and people get killed on the other hand we see all those fabulous parties going on at night... when I open face book, looks like some one some where are always having some kind of parties...marriage, baby shower, gaye holud, anniversary, bou bhaat, other social gathering,,,,doesn't look they they are worries about their own safety or for the nation... looks like they are having really good time.

Is this a case of "inside green zone" and "rest of the country"?

Is this an ugly case of "haves" and "have-notch'?

Is this the case of " whatever happens happens - privileged people never suffer', the not so fortunate one's pay the price?

Last edited by Fazal; December 18, 2013 at 10:17 PM..
Old December 18, 2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Is this an ugly case of "haves" and "have-nots'?

Is this the case of " whatever happens happend - previledge people never suffer', the not so futunate one's pay the price?
^^^ that's always the case in Bangladesh, UNFORTUNATELY.
Old December 19, 2013, 03:06 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Very confusing Situation. In one hand we see all the news of destruction and fire and people get killed on the other hand we see all those fabulous parties going on at night... when I open face book, looks like some one some where are always having some kind of parties...marriage, baby shower, gaye holud, anniversary, bou bhaat, other social gathering,,,,doesn't look they they are worries about their own safety or for the nation... looks like they are having really good time.

Is this the case of " whatever happens happens - privileged people never suffer', the not so fortunate one's pay the price?
Why would people put off weddings, baby shower and gaye holuds and what not? Its not like we are in a middle of a war. Even if we were in a middle of a war there is no reason to put things off unless your life was threatened. My parents got married during '71 war. They were certainly not privileged. It has nothing to do with being privileged.

I think we are disillusioned and confused about the present situation because we are not putting things in to context. If my memory serves me right, whats happening in BD today in not much different than what happens in BD in every election year including the times when AL was an opposition party. As a matter of fact, if I remember correctly, AL had multiple month long continuous hartal and oborodh for caretaker government in the 90s.

The difference between those days and now is that we have many 24 hours live tv channels whose bread and butter is to sell you fear and controversy repeatedly. They have to fill their daily 24 hour quota with something.We also have people with camera phones and instant upload apps with 100% mobile and data coverage throughout the country.

If we had hartal and oborodh we know about it almost instantly.

But before we had to rely on word of mouth and the only way to know about extend of destruction going on was to hope that the few newspapers we had were there at the right time to take any pictures.

Things haven't gotten worse we just have more medium through which we are bombarded with (mis)information. As a matter of fact I just came back from office. Millions of people are going to their job just fine. Sure a lot of people are suffering too, but that doesn't mean the country is nonfunctional and is in a stand-still.

Its anything but.
Old December 19, 2013, 05:18 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:

Yes some people are arranging soical events, even after such turmoil maybe as there cirumstances didnt allow another time. You may also be aware that booking popular venues has to be done quite a few months in advance and many organisers might not have predicted such a cricitcal situation.

Photos usually will show a rosier picture and when people normally pose for a picture they normally tend to smile but I am confident that everyone is worried about going back home from the venue to some extent.

Also many people are going to work even during this hortal and oborodh period...would you still say that they are not worried about their own safety or for the nation??? Life has to go on.....But I understand the point you are trying to make though, anyone in their sane mind shouldnt host or attend soical events during such a crisis period.

Everyone suffers during such turmoil in the country in different levels. However the common citizen suffers more. If the situation worsens, the army will have to be called in to bring order to the country.

However I hope for everybody's sake, they are kept safe InshahAllah
Old December 19, 2013, 11:29 AM
Cricket Sage

Blah and Adamnsu,

Thanks for giving perspective to my loaded question. I am not there in Dhaka, so when we hear stuff from people (that we know) and news media, we may not get the real picture of what is happening in reality. Its very confusing situation for me from outside, that's why I asked these questions.
Old December 19, 2013, 12:48 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Blah and Adamnsu,

Thanks for giving perspective to my loaded question. I am not there in Dhaka, so when we hear stuff from people (that we know) and news media, we may not get the real picture of what is happening in reality. Its very confusing situation for me from outside, that's why I asked these questions.
Like you I also live abroad but keep constant touch with relatives and family memebers. However in my reply to your answer I know why you have had to put up the question.

This situation is a common phase of power struggle which happens in Bangladesh before an election. If I am not mistaken BNP did an election with Awami League not participating as their demands were not met.

Sometime I think maybe Allah had to ensure we had to equally 2 wretched and petty ladies in the forefront of BD politics to counter balance each other.
Old December 21, 2013, 11:20 AM
Cricket Sage

Everyone keeps on saying all this chaos will be over my January. I don't get that. If BAL participates in the election by themselves and win, I would think BNP will go on "hortal/oborodh" like there is no tomorrow. Why are people so sure about everything calming down by the end of January. Am I missing something?
Old December 21, 2013, 03:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajfar
Everyone keeps on saying all this chaos will be over my January. I don't get that. If BAL participates in the election by themselves and win, I would think BNP will go on "hortal/oborodh" like there is no tomorrow. Why are people so sure about everything calming down by the end of January. Am I missing something?
That's Bangladeshi Optimism. It's one of the reason behind our resilience.
Old December 21, 2013, 04:34 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajfar
Thats under the assumption that a fresh election will be called for and held the next week like last time when BNP won uncontested. Heres hoping things calm down so we can host SL. asia cup and wt20 will just get shifted so we wont lose games.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old December 22, 2013, 03:05 AM
Cricket Guru

Once the other influential countries and donor nations start putting pressure on our political leaders we will see a full fledged election.