facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Match Archive

Match Archive Relive the match-time passion (Read Only)

Old October 21, 2003, 04:27 AM
Cricket Legend

do you die hards never go to bed or did you just wake up as well? i am confused by the last bit in the crickinfo commentary - I thought this was the news form the beginning of the day but they have tacked it on to the supposed restart text:

and it starts to rain!!
the covers come on and the players walk away
it is raining quiet heavily now
more covers come on to the ground to protect the bowler's run up
area and the square

it's not raining ALL OVER AGAIN, is it?

anyway, I hope hannan and javed make the english slip slide around in the mud a bit, get them roughed up and depressed...

Old October 21, 2003, 04:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Default No, its not raining again!

And no, we die hard fans don't go to sleep!
Old October 21, 2003, 04:45 AM
Retired BC Admin

Good Morning Rafiq.
How you doing today?
Old October 21, 2003, 04:59 AM
Cricket Legend

mornin' china. the old knee hurts but other than that doing good. How about you?

Hadn't been to that BBC - England message board in a while so had to answer when I saw this post just now:

"A point which hasn't been discussed is the run-rate. By that I mean the manner in which England play the matches. Although I believe England could go out and demolish Bangladesh in three days there are a few reasons why I don't think they will.
The need to improve fitness in similar conditions that they will encounter in Sri Lanka. So spending more time in the middle, not less, will be beneficial.

To play within themselves, thus avoiding injury.

Not show too much of their hand viz-a-viz their playing strategies before they encounter Sri Lanka.

To provide a full five days entertainment for the public.

However, the problem with this "go slow" strategy is that, should rain interrupt play too much, a rain-effected draw could result. In which case, the media could blame them from not scoring quickly enough to get a result. What do you think will happen? [reply] [Complain about this post]

re: A low key series? mendicant - 8th post - 21 Oct 2003 10:51

That's truly a good one!!
So, if England win in 3 days you will be right that Bangladesh was "demolished". And if Bangladesh put up a fight then England will have have been gracious enough in adopting a "go-slow strategy" to stretch the game to 5 days because a. they didn't want to hurt themseleves b. they wanted batting practise and c. they were concerned the crowds would riot unless there was 5 days worth of cricket d. etc. etc. And you will still be right! Come on. [reply] [Complain about this post]
Old October 21, 2003, 05:03 AM
Retired BC Admin

Written by British Amit?
Not bad, not bad at all for a cheap laugh.
Old October 21, 2003, 05:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Haha!

I like the providing five days of entertainment idea. I wonder which teams has ever done that. Thought about the spectators and delayed winning a match at the expense of being able to get the hell out of the hot conditions, go back to the hotel and taking a nice dip in the pool!
Old October 21, 2003, 05:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Back out there
Old October 21, 2003, 05:18 AM
Retired BC Admin

Default Play just resumed!

Old October 21, 2003, 05:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Hannan just hit the first 4 of the Test!
Old October 21, 2003, 05:40 AM
Cricket Legend

And now Golla's gone
Old October 21, 2003, 05:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Sigh

I had a sinking feeling that Golla wouldn't last the day. Not after he swung and missed a couple with no footwork, not to mention that he had edged one before the rain but it fell short of second slip.

I seriously question Golla's ability to play high quality fast bowling. He is not very comfortable against the really quick stuff. I wish we had kept the option of Nafees for the second Test.
Old October 21, 2003, 06:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Bashar gone!

Out to Harmison for 2, caught at first slip driving at a short ball outside off.

Now we are in trouble. Why can't these guys just play out Harmison. I just dont get it. Do they have to drive?
Old October 21, 2003, 06:04 AM
Retired BC Admin

What's going on, Sham?
Old October 21, 2003, 06:06 AM
Cricket Legend

2/24 at stumps
Old October 21, 2003, 06:07 AM
Cricket Legend

Light offered to the batsmen who accept and walk off.

Bashar should be kicking himself for getting out at that stage. This is exactly why he shouldn't be captain. He can't play responsibly. He always has to come out blasting. Sometimes, as against Pakistan, it will come off and he ends up looking like a hero. At other times, he ends up looking like a fool and lets his country down.
Old October 21, 2003, 06:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Default It says delay,

dont know if they'll come back out. Hope they dont. Two out is bad enough, but if one of Hannan or Rajin were to go tonight, we'd be in dire straits.
Old October 21, 2003, 06:14 AM
Test Cricketer

i dont think play will resume today anymore......and tomorrow, it will br hard for BD to bat well......because of the rain....it may turn into bowling wicket
Old October 21, 2003, 06:23 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default A draw

A draw is not impossible with almost 2 days of no play (today and possibly Thursday or Friday), but it is also not possible if everybody doesn't play like a team.
Old October 21, 2003, 06:37 AM
ODI Cricketer

Pathetic start. I'm amazed Sarkar lasted this long. He looks confident though. Its funny how the BD players are smiling all the time. Esp Sarkar and Bashar...
Old October 21, 2003, 07:29 AM
Cricket Legend

As I said earlier, a batting callopse is inavatable, thanks to the rain. If Sarkar and Salah don't play sensibly, we are going to be bowled out around 100-150. But if they do, we might reach 200. If Kapali lives up to his expactaion after that, 250. But the chances are very slim... as the signs of batting callopse becomes all too ovious.
Old October 21, 2003, 07:55 AM
ODI Cricketer

You guys are too pessimistic! Javed Can't play top quality pace bowling? Follow Bangladesh's results...............Javed played well against Heath Streak, Played well against SA (Pollock, Ntiny)...And he was the one that stood out in the second innings collapse of Bangladesh A. You might point to his average; I agree he is not the top international. But then again except for Habibul, do we have a top quality batsman? (Don't show me Rajin, let him play some test). And Habibul will get out in this fashion...........that's the way he plays............If we find a better bat then we shall replace him.....And then Bangladesh will be world number one.
Old October 21, 2003, 08:53 AM
Cricket Legend

world number one - aren't we getting a bit carried away? what did you like about bashar's innings - the way he stood planted, with no footwork, and slashed outside the offstump? today is not a day to sing bashar's praises my friend.

let's blame those 2 goofball umpires for forcing the game on.

as andrew miller wrote in crickinfo, this would have happened to england as well because the conditions were completely in favor of the pacers. we would have taken a wicket or two if we were bowling - except, let's see, mushfiq qould be opening with masri so maybe not.

but the fact is it didn't happen to england, it happened to us. we went from the advantage of winning the toss on a batting track to suddenly being 2 down for practically no runs on a swiing/pace bowler's paradise. The sun better be shining hard tomorrow.

I'm really worried about this lineup. Two quick wickets now and another two tomorrow and the fragile late order will be up. Bit hard to be optimistic today.
Old October 21, 2003, 09:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Default I didn\'t say Javed can\'t play top quality pace bowling

I said he can't play really quick bowling. Big difference! Heath Streak and Pollock aren't express quick.
Old October 21, 2003, 09:39 AM
Cricket Legend

"Too much commotion before the match".
OK, I need to let this out of my system.

Partly,I think that because it is home ground things might turn out to be detrimental to our cause. Adding to the fire is the new found energy of the press. The rumour about Kapali and the excitement with Aftab and Nafis all just before atest match. We are not Australia or West Indies. Someone just needs to stabilize the team and get us back to our right track, that is ensuring the steady progress.
Quote:
Faruque however brushed aside the allegation that he was rooting to provide a place for Aftab in the playing XI.
The young players should keep their mouth shut (it only fueled unnecessary expectations). If Rajin keeps his word tomorrow I take it back but please deliver the goods first. If he does not, well?
The wrong sort of optimism that got us in trouble against Canada.
Old October 21, 2003, 09:41 AM
ODI Cricketer

Habibul is not the copy book player. He does not have the best footwork. But despite that he scored all over the world. He relies on hand-eye combination...So he does not have a sound defence. If he puts his mind on defending at the begining of his innings he will score fewer runs overall. That's the reason both Lipu (one of the best strategist in Bangladesh cricket) and Whatmore told him to play his natural game. He will look like irresponsible if he gets out......It happened to Mark Waugh all the time (I'm not saying Habibul belongs to the Mark Waugh class); And about optimism........I was in the Eden Garden during the WC semi between SL-India. The moment India lost Tendulkar, the whole stadium became eerily silent......As if india has lost the game, although India was still ahead. I was stunned.......this attitude makes it hard for the Indian battters.....Tension is sooooo pervasive. I will rather be a part of a supporters group that will motivate the players......This is where I like the pakistan cricket followers......Even when they were loosing the 1987 WC semifinal to Australia, they were shouting till the end. Cricket is a game after all!