facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Match Archive

Match Archive Relive the match-time passion (Read Only)

Old October 23, 2003, 05:59 AM
BanglaCricket Multimedia

Did I not tell we will rock

Yeah This is a great comeback... and I missed it all for my stooooooooooopid lectures.... but its cool... I am so happy.... Till now I am really happy with the performance shown by the bowlers... and I am sure the top order will come thru this innings

Old October 23, 2003, 06:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Stumps day 3 Bangladesh 12/1. We need to fight tomorrow... and fight hard...

p.s. I will be in brisbane for the next 3 days... so cya when i get back
Old October 23, 2003, 06:08 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Man whats wrong with Saleh after the Pak tour he hasn't scored any runs, thats bullshit. He really needs a kick.
Old October 23, 2003, 06:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Stop knocking Saleh!

Poor guy was made to go out and open the innings in failing lights and got a good short delivery from Harmison. Its not like he is getting out playing wild drives at balls wide outside the off-stump. If batsmen get out to good deliveries, thats fine, as long as they don't throw their wickets away.

We are too ficke as fans. After every innings, we make some sort of judgement about our players, most of the time without even watching the game. Last night, everyone was saying how ordinary Enamul Huq Jnr is. Today he took 2 wickets for 30 runs in 20 overs!! Thats fantastic bowling, and one of his victims was Trescothick!

Anyway, I thought England would be something like 450 for 7 or 8 at the end of the third day. Instead we bowled them out for 295! Thats a super performance. On the day, we took 10 wickets for 184 runs! How brilliant is that? Now if we can tough it out tomorrow, try to bat for most of the day, this game could be very intereting indeed. Especially if we can drag it to the fifth day and have some runs to defend. This wicket is already starting to misbehave. On the fifth day, anything is possible!
Old October 23, 2003, 06:41 AM
BanglaCricket Multimedia

Just believe in our players.... they are somehow managing to come thru... Even mushfiq played good... and who the hell was expecting a 51 from Pilot... thats saved our butt yesterday

And masri getting a comeback with the new ball... and then Enamul just got back good... the guy was getting hit all over... just look at his figures now... 23 overs/8 maidens/53 runs!!!!/2 wickets!!!.... he had econ of 7.33 yesterday.... thats a loooong way to come... and this is his debut... Rafiq as usual showed his class...

If Bashar clicks tomorrow.... dunno what he can do... and some support from a few other batsmen will lead to a score of around 300 at the end of the day is like almost posing a veeeeeeeery difficult task for the english team.... I know 300 looks hard to get... but really think abt it, its not impossible... and we have batsmen who can go for it

So lets keep our fingers crossed and pray whatever the outcome this is gonna be a fantastic test
Old October 23, 2003, 06:43 AM
BanglaCricket Multimedia

I just hope rain doesnt ruin the match.... and no more power failures... makes the whole of BD look stupid to the touring country.... thats something we can expect from Pakistan.... busted lights and a stadium full of insects :P
Old October 23, 2003, 06:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
On the day, we took 10 wickets for 184 runs!
Which means they should have been all out for 184... instead we let the get away yesterday. By the way, tresco and Vaughn should have been both out before the poms reached 50 yesterday... but the umpires got no less than 3 lbw disisions wrong...
Old October 23, 2003, 07:17 AM
ODI Cricketer

These are the regular insidence against BAngladesh(talking about Umpireing).We have to think about our opening pair.

Any opener can not play atleast 20 overs.This is now our regular problem score 30/40 with 3/4 wickets fall.If this problem we can overcome than bd always make 300+ in their first innings.

Old October 23, 2003, 08:28 AM
Club Cricketer

Can somebody provide some details on the bowling of the young LAS, left arm spinner ie. How does he bowl, his variations, does he flight well or flatter trajectory etc , in some detail please.
Old October 23, 2003, 09:08 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Score around 300 will give us a lead of only 200. That wont be enought.

We need score around 400. Cross your fingers.
Old October 23, 2003, 09:20 AM
BanglaCricket Multimedia

Quote:
Originally posted by Rajputro
Score around 300 will give us a lead of only 200. That wont be enought.

We need score around 400. Cross your fingers.
Scoring something like 400 will need more than one day... 2 days arent enuf then... the match is then sure to end in a draw unless a miracle happens and the whole England team just crash down in 2 sessions or so Well I wudnt really mind a draw either, guess am just aiming to high... But really a win isnt impossible from the situation where we are just need to play good cricket...
Old October 23, 2003, 01:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Default \"just need to play good cricket\"

oh i like that! but, we know better than to expect our team to come through for us. let's just pray that we can put on another 100 odd runs for the second wicket, and solid double digit scores from the lower order (20s and 30s). we need to post an innings of 250 (that's another 330 runs!). not impossible, but very, very difficult, especially given the pitch conditions, and our players' penchant for screwing up either the first or second innings. anyway, let us pray nonetheless...at least things are looking up, so no need to sulk even if we do lose.
Old October 23, 2003, 01:50 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default Cricketislife!

I will try and answer your question as best as I can though I am no expert...sham here will probably be more reliable.

Anyways, he has two variations in his run-up from what I could see from the slide show (technically streaming live video). He comes rather straight when bowling around the wicket and more square of the wicket (in my opinion could be a little more angular) when bowling over the wicket. Nice smooth runup and nice smooth action. He has flight and can turn the ball prodigiously. This is where he differs from Rafique. Rafique is not a big turner as you surely know by now. Junior on the otherhand gets sharp turn off the wicket. In terms of his armoury, I noticed only two- the standard SLA spin and the arm ball like rafique but I am not sure. Sham should be able to comfirm that since he also "saw" the third day. However, one thing is for certain, this young fella is a gem. This is a highly impressive debut, given he is very very young. This augurs very well for the Tigers. One used to wonder what life would be like post-Rafique...so far life looks good.

[Edited on 23-10-2003 by pompous]
Old October 23, 2003, 02:10 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default This was a hugely impressive performance!

The match is not over by any means. There is a good chance England will emerge victors. One thing is for sure, no self-respecting english journalist or commentator will call Bangladesh push-overs again.
To get a team of England's stature all out for 295 after they were 137 for no loss is a tremendous achievement, keeping in mind that all umpiring decisions went England's way (some fair and others most definitely not!). Except for trescothick, who in an ideal world would have been back in the pavilion before his century, every one was forced to graft and scrap for every run.
Every one has mentioned Rafique and E Jnr's contribution, yet let us not forget our seamers.
In a wicket which obviously favoured spin bowling, Mashrafe's figures were outstanding. He sent down 23 tight overs, giving away only 41 runs and claimed 3 wickets including the vital one of Thorpe. Mushfique's contribution in this match has been superb so far. First he make a fighting 36 and then he comes out and takes 2 vital wickets. He has so far definitely justified his inclusion. He is a very commited player and has played his heart out in this match.
Like I said in the beginning, the match isn't over. Each of the above mentioned players have a lot to contribute still.
Let us now see some cricket from our top order. Bashar is due for a big innings and so is Kapali. Hannan looks in good nick, his cover drive with which he got off the mark in the second innings was a glorious shot, class!
Go Tigers!
Old October 23, 2003, 02:18 PM
Banned

Does anyone know why Rajin was opening?
Old October 23, 2003, 02:20 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Golla is injured, so Rajin opened.
Old October 23, 2003, 03:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Golla was off the field for quite a while at the end of the England innings. If you are off the field, you have to wait out a certain amount of time before you can come back out and bat. Golla will have to sit out that amount of time before he can bat (not sure how much time it is that the umpires have decided that he will have to wait)!
Old October 23, 2003, 03:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Cricketislife,

I agree with Pompous on Enamul Huq Jnr. Again, I only got very small periods of streaming video, and most of it was a slide show. But I got one full over of Jnr streaming. He does like giving the ball quite a lot of flight, and he turns the ball a lot as well. He looked really good. I didn't see enough of him to see what variations he has, whether he varies his flight and pace. I just saw the usual slow left armers delivery, but his flight and turn are impressive. The good thing is, he is different from Rafiq, so having them both in the same team actually makes sense in the end.
Old October 23, 2003, 06:27 PM
Banned

So, Sham, in a worst case scenario, Golla may not even get a chance to play, isn't it?
Old October 23, 2003, 06:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Default No,

he will get to bat. The worst case scenario is that he would have to come in at 11. But I think someone has written that he will come in at 7!
Old October 23, 2003, 08:02 PM
Club Cricketer

Thanks Pompous n Sham for the comments on the Junior LAS. First impression seems to be gud though obviously you will want to see more of him, but still u mention flight n turn. Basics are there atleast, not another Giles atleast! I recently witnessed Vettori bowl very very well in the second Test troubling Laxman and sachin. He has improved a lot and is now improving rapidly. Watching a LAS operate is always a great delight, pity this decade we have had such poor quality around. Giles etc.

CiL
PS: I should have asked this in another thread going on about the young spinner, but I didnt notice it, I am still coming to terms with the functioning of this board, after dealing with a ng for sometime, where the format is different. So apologies if I am messing the board a lil bit!