facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 22, 2007, 03:10 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: AC Gilchrist
Default For those who thought Ponting was arrogant...

...I'd be interested to hear about what you think of Haydunce. :p

Though to be fair to Haydunce, he would only ever say this about two teams - SA and England. He would never say this about any subcontinental team, or the WI, or NZ.

Personally, I've had to eat a bit of humble pie regarding Haydunce - I thought he was finished after the 2005 Ashes series, particularly in the ODI arena. He managed to stay in the Test side by his fingernails by transforming himself into the second coming of Geoff Boycott, but I felt that approach would not translate well to success in ODIs. But he's proven me wrong.

Quote:
Opening batsman senses fear ahead of semi-final
We intimidate South Africa - Hayden
Cricinfo staff
April 22, 2007

Matthew Hayden has taken aim at South Africa before Wednesday's semi-final by saying they are still intimidated by Australia. Hayden noticed the familiar feeling during the 83-run win over Graeme Smith's side during the group phase and put it down to Australia's sustained success against them.

While Ricky Ponting's squad lost the last head-to-head one-day competition, Australia have not been beaten in a Test series since South Africa's international return in 1992. Ponting has also spoken over the past week of South Africa's poor record in major matches.

"Last time we played better than them and you could tell by the looks on their faces they were intimidated by us," Hayden said in the Sunday Mail. The fielders did have a reasonable reason to be unnerved that day as Hayden belted the World Cup's fastest century during his 101 off 68 balls as Australia reached 6 for 377.

"I definitely sensed that," he said. "It is an edge which came from many years of beating them. It was just body language. You could feel that they could feel it." South Africa finished fourth after the Super Eights while Hayden made sure Australia remained unbeaten with his third hundred of the competition against New Zealand on Friday.

Hayden has joined Mark Waugh and Sourav Ganguly with the most centuries in the same World Cup and he now has 580 runs at 82.85. He said there was no mystery to his success. "There's no replacing hard work," he told AFP.

"We've worked very hard throughout the summer on our one-day game and all elements of our game. It's no surprise that we are here at a World Cup at the height of our games. We are looking forward now to the next two games. All of what we've been able to achieve means nothing if we don't go all the way."

© Cricinfo

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/wc20...ry/291873.html

Old April 22, 2007, 03:27 AM
First Class Cricketer

I hope South Africa beats Australia.... and hopefully by a really big margin.... !!!
that only can stop Ponting and his gang from bad mouthing their opponents...
yea, i agree Aussies are playing good cricket... but that doesnt mean u have to be so arrogant!!!

Last edited by knightrider357; April 22, 2007 at 03:43 AM..
Old April 22, 2007, 03:41 AM
Club Cricketer

Hayden played superbly throughout this tournament. As Ponting pointed out, he is in the form of his career. Good luck to the aussies. I don't know which team will win the final, but there is no doubt that they are the best team in this cup.
Old April 22, 2007, 03:55 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider357
I hope South Africa beats Australia.... and hopefully by a really big margin.... !!!
that only can stop Ponting and his gang from bad mouthing their opponents...
yea, i agree Aussies are playing good cricket... but that doesnt mean u have to be so arrogant!!!
It's just a bit of fun before the game. When OZ lost 3 in a row against NZ last month we were hearing a lot of talk from Graeme Smith and Micky Arthur about how the OZ were past it and were has-beens.
Old April 22, 2007, 04:25 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZGOD
It's just a bit of fun before the game. When OZ lost 3 in a row against NZ last month we were hearing a lot of talk from Graeme Smith and Micky Arthur about how the OZ were past it and were has-beens.
yea... i understand that... hahahah...
its just that i wanna see some other team win world cup this yr... doesnt matter whether its SL, SA or NZ (i would be most happy if its Srilanka)... any other team beside Aus....

its getting too monotonous... AUs winning every single match... its time to bring a change....
Old April 22, 2007, 04:34 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Actually, i dont noe why many ppl made a lot outta that Aussie defeat coz Aussie werent playing their best team and also it was know Aussie players dint want that tour and also it was Hussey who was the captain,who jst dont have enuff experience to be a captain.

After my country Bangladesh, i have been fan of Australia. I would love to see Aus win the cup this time too. I have followed Aus since i strted following Bangladesh which was from 1999 world cup. Wht i appreciate about Aus cricketing system is that they value the player;s performance indifferent of who he is. Unlike in other countries its mostly by name. For instance, If Ponting doesnt perform now4a long time,Aus will drop him but if Ponting wld b in some other country they wldnt bother much doing it. Australian cricket system is simply great.
Old April 22, 2007, 07:56 AM
ODI Cricketer

I just Hope SA win full stop dont care how !!
Old April 22, 2007, 08:57 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quite frankly, players like Ponting and Hayden back up their mouth with their performance so I can accept they have the right to sound a little arrogant. Hayden is playing mind-games with the South Africans, but hopefully it won't affect them. I just want them to beat Australia no matter what.
Old April 22, 2007, 10:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

It takes only one game and the time is now. Come on South Africa.
Old April 22, 2007, 11:22 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

i actually don't have this loathing for the aussies and ponting that so many others tend to have i.e indians...

i just can't stand when pont or anyone makes anti BD statements or claims ("my mom could bat for bangladesh")

#OneTeam1Dream
Old April 22, 2007, 11:30 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Haha Hayden is funny.
Old April 22, 2007, 11:37 AM
Administrator

I have every respect for the Aussies for they have achieved their preeminence through hard work. They have every right to be arrogant - for arrogance to some is confidence for other. It is when the also-rans attempt to be arrogant or condescending that I get irked.
Old April 22, 2007, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
I have every respect for the Aussies for they have achieved their preeminence through hard work. They have every right to be arrogant - for arrogance to some is confidence for other. It is when the also-rans attempt to be arrogant or condescending that I get irked.
exactly. by being arrogant, they're really only speaking the truth. besides, i find this war of words pretty entertaining.
Old April 22, 2007, 11:53 AM
Test Cricketer

These are not just arrogant remarks! This is mental game before the game. Hayden is trying to disturb the mental condition of opponent before the game. This is not arrogance, this is smart.
Old April 22, 2007, 01:00 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

For those who think that SA beating Australia in the semis will stop this arogance, you guys are so wrong. Yea that would mean Australia won't be able to be the champions and will break their streak of world champs, they will still continue their dominance in world cricket for the next little while. This type of a team that Australia made, it's a dream team that anyone can think of. And when you have that, you have every right to say whatever you want, coz you've got the player to prove you right from every angle.

Just like ATMR said, I find it quite entertaining, but I have to watch out what they say for Bangladesh...coz anything that anybody says about Bangladesh, pisses me off like anything if it's not respectful. You know, inferiority complex
Old April 22, 2007, 01:52 PM
Test Cricketer

i wont mind if Aus wins the WC again. they are a fantastic cricket team and its always fun watchng them play (except when they are playing against BD :-( )
Old April 22, 2007, 02:04 PM
Cricket Legend

plz SA do the world a favor.....
Old April 22, 2007, 02:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Liton Das

lol....Yeah, I read that article last night. I actually enjoy these comments. Makes the games all the more enjoyable.
Old April 22, 2007, 09:20 PM
Cricket Legend

The mind game begins. This is quite enjoyable.
Old April 22, 2007, 09:55 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Hayden is not the captain. And he backs up his words with mind boggling performances. His criticism is never for personal gains. He does not open his mouth against Minnows or weaker team. Not like another non-captain Warne.

Whereas, Ponting the arrogant one, is not a diplomatic one for sure. He has no idea that a simple encouragement of his would work like wonders to the weaker teams and minnows. His positive speeches would mean like Bible to many. However, since he has no idea he never says those things and thus hated (at least my be). (no where near Waugh)

My 2 cents.
Old April 23, 2007, 08:06 PM
Cricket Legend

My 1st wish: Aus doesn't win the WC(preferably doesn't go to the finals)
My 2nd wish: Srilanka repeats their 1996 triumph.
Old April 23, 2007, 09:07 PM
ODI Cricketer

Basher has struck back.

Quote:
BRIDGETOWN, April 20: Former South Africa captain Ali Bacher on Friday said Graeme Smith's men can win the World Cup if they maintain the ruthless form they showed in their destruction of England. The Proteas swept past England with a nine-wicket win on Tuesday to set up a mouth-watering semi-final clash with defending champions Australia at St. Lucia on April 25.

Bacher, also a former South Africa cricket board chief and who knows how to beat Australia having recorded 4-0 win as captain in 1970, said South Africa can beat Australia. "If South Africa play as they did against England, I can't see any team stopping them, not even Australia," said Bacher.

After losing to Bangladesh in the Super Eights, South Africa crushed England in a must-win match. They bowled out Michael Vaughan's men for a paltry 154 with medium-pacer Andrew Hall returning career-best figures of 5-18. Smith then completed the rout with a blistering 58-ball 89 not out to see his team through in the 20th over, a display Bacher feels can help make the Proteas world champions.

"That is the way to approach a game. You shouldn't give your opponents any chance. The South Africans were clinical, and that is what will be needed in the semi-final," said Bacher, the man behind the successful World Cup management in South Africa four years ago. Bacher hoped Australia's unbeaten run in the World Cup comes to an end sooner than later.

"It is high time South Africa bring the Australian victory march at the tournament to an end," said Bacher of an Australia run which has them win the last two World Cups in 1999 and 2003 and bidding for a hat-trick here.

In contrast, the South Africans have never progressed to the final, losing to England in the 1992 semis, and then bowing out on slender run-rate after their semi-final against Australia ended in a tie in 1999.

They lost to Australia in the preliminary rounds in the current World Cup. In 2003, they misinterpreted the rain rules in a match against Sri Lanka and failed to get beyond the first round.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/T...ow/1931428.cms
Old April 23, 2007, 09:39 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Australia will win.
Old April 24, 2007, 12:03 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Basher has struck back.
hahhaha.....
its not Bashar... its Bacher.... ...
Former captain of south africa Ali Bacher made that comment... not Habibul Bashar... i think u mixed up with those two names....
Old April 24, 2007, 12:18 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone

ah think nothing of it.... it's all a bit of spice to liven up the game.if there wasn't any trash talk, then they wouldn't be aussies now, would they?