facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 21, 2010, 12:54 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default ICC wants UDRS in World Cup.

among other things, the ICC wants UDRS to be implemented in all test matchs and also during the 2011 world cup. i think its very good idea given how many ODIs we've lost since the last world cup due to shoddy umpiring. it will certainly help us more in the shorter format than the longer format.

#OneTeam1Dream

Old May 21, 2010, 02:55 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Thumbs up!!

Now the 3rd umpire roles expands. Please no Deshi ones in the WC!!
Old May 21, 2010, 03:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

Rod Tucker's life will be tasteless.
Old May 22, 2010, 08:59 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

ICC wants i understand, but who doesnt want ???
Old May 25, 2010, 10:47 AM
Banned

That is really great. If UDRS will be implemented then there will be very less chances of wrong decisions and every team will be saved by the treacherous umpires.

Last edited by Zunaid; June 14, 2010 at 02:36 PM..
Old June 30, 2010, 04:50 AM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ronaldo

Yeah it is indeed a good thing from club sports and sports center point of views if it gets implemented! It will straight away bring considerable decline in wrong decision making of the umpires.

Last edited by SportsGuru; July 5, 2010 at 02:20 AM..
Old July 1, 2010, 04:55 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

It definitely will ensure fairer results..
Old July 1, 2010, 06:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

Actually the use of UDRS is made inefficient by the rules that govern it. It gives the decision in favour of the field umpire even if it is a 1-99 decision. Field umpires often make erroneous decisions in favor of teams like Eng, Aus, Ind or SA. If it goes to the UDRS, the video umpire needs to be 100% certain that the field umpire is wrong, otherwise he has to go with the field umpire. So, benefit of doubt goes to the umpire's favor and eventually to the team the umpire is favouring.

Another weak point is using the guess work when the technology is available. For example, the LBW decisions should be straight-forward. If the ball does not pitch outside the leg, then just extrapolate the trajectory and see if it were going to hit the stump. The UDRS rules do not work that way. They let the video umpire guess and make biased mistakes.
Old August 3, 2010, 08:59 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: SAKIB AL HASAN

Hot Spot unlikely to be used in the World Cup
http://www.cricinfo.com/icc-cricket-...ry/470808.html

Shortage of cameras and heavy cost the reason
While the ICC is keen on using the Umpire Decision Review System (UDRS) at next year's World Cup, the tournament is unlikely to see Hot Spot, the technology most favoured by the players for its accuracy. Contrary to reports, a combination of a shortage of cameras, the high cost of acquiring and using the technology, and the sensitive nature of the equipment, makes it almost impossible for the technology to be in place by February.

"For the World Cup 2011, there is no chance for Hot Spot being available for all 50+ early round matches," Warren Brennan, the owner of BBG Sports, the firm that supplies the technology, told Cricinfo in an email. "At present we only have four Hot Spot cameras, this would limit us to providing Hot Spot for only quarter-final matches onwards.

"This would include two cameras for the quarter-finals and semi-finals, with the possibility of four cameras for the final in Mumbai."

According to Brennan, to have had enough cameras for the World Cup, an order for an additional eight to 10 Hot Spot cameras should have been placed in January or February this year. The cameras take four to six months to build and there are only four or five companies in the world that have the know-how to make them.

And each time BBG wants to buy a new one, it has to undergo a security check because the cameras are classified as military equipment. These checks can take up to three months to complete. "We have to go through various processes," Brennan said. "Are they good guys? Can we trust them? Have they sold any cameras to Al-Qaeda? You can't just go into a 7-Eleven and buy one. "

Brennan also said he needs help from the ICC and the boards to bring the cost of the system down. Hot Spot, which uses infra-red imaging technology to determine whether the ball has struck the bat, pad or batsman, currently costs $6,000 per day for a two-camera setup and $10,000 per day for a four-camera setup.

Under the current system, the broadcaster has to bear the cost of using the UDRS but isn't always able to do so. Pakistan, for example, opted not to have the referral system when they played Australia in England because it was unaffordable. "They [the ICC] know that if they want to take the system further, they have to figure out the funding models," Brennan said.

The absence of Hot Spot does not rule out the possibility of UDRS being used in the World Cup. The ICC's minimum requirements for the referral system only include ball tracking technology (Hawk-Eye), super slow-motion cameras and a clean audio feed from the stump microphone. Hot Spot is "desirable", but not a requirement at this point, according to an ICC spokesperson.

But some top players have spoken out in favour of Hot Spot, the most recent being Sachin Tendulkar. After completing his fifth Test double-hundred in the second Test against Sri Lanka, Tendulkar made it clear he prefers Hot Spot over the basic UDRS.

"I am not fully convinced with the referral system (UDRS)," Tendulkar said. "When I was here last time I was not convinced with many decisions. I did not feel comfortable; it was an experiment which I felt. I would rather go with the Hot Spot because that establishes the contact between the bat and the ball. That it is far better system according to me. The Hot Spot is much better."
Old January 7, 2011, 09:55 PM
ODI Cricketer

I just wrote this in another thread but it ptobably belongs here:-

We should have a strategy in place to make the best use of UDRS as I think this is the first time it will be used in ODIs. We all know that Bangladesh more often than not have been on the receiving end of bad umpiring decisions. As far as I can remember we used the system really poorly on the tour of New Zealand.

India's stubbornness and disregard for UDRS should be used to our advantage. As we will be playing on home pitches we should be able to judge the bounce, pace, turn etc better than others and so should use this information effectively for such things as LBW decisions etc. In the recent Ashes series I remember when M Hussey was batting on his home pitch, he knew the pace and bounce of the wicket so well and used this information to correctly review LBW decisions to his favour.

The wicket keepers have a crucial role when deciding whether to review a decision for the fielding team. Mushfiqur (or whoever else is keeping) should be advised before hand on what to look out for and how best to judge if a review should be used or not. Players should be coached on for example; knowing the difference between the sound of the edge off the bat to the sound off the pads. When batting, the batsmen at the non-strikers end could watch out for no-balls from the bowler and also watch and help judge if a LBW decision should be reviewed. Also from the Ashes Series it looked like very faint edges off the bat do not show up on Hotspot, so this "loophole" could be used by batsmen to their advantage (if they want to).
There are probably lots of things like this that we should be coaching the players on.