facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 13, 2007, 08:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Our selectors never cease to amaze us. I think they feel obligated to make at least one or two controversial decision every time they select a team, so to give the fans and media something to munch on (remember how happy Faruque was last time that he surprised everyone with Tushar's selection ?). How many times their controversial choices blew up on their on their faces (Tushar is the latest) ? They still don't learn.

Last edited by TheWatcher; February 13, 2007 at 08:18 AM..

Old February 13, 2007, 08:38 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mullah, Fizz, SS
Default hmmm.....

the team is quite good..but the selectors should have chosen mehrab jr or kahaled mashud instead of JO...why JO is back??i think he should never ever come back in bd squad(atleast in odis)..picking pilot woud not have been bad..because if mushfiq fails to keep fairly,then we could have him...but alas!!!our selectors suckss!!!
Junior
Old February 13, 2007, 08:56 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

JO is there as a fail safe if top order forgets batting.

I feel bad for Pilot, but with Mushfiq, we will not miss Pilot, cant do worse.

I thank the selectors for not selecting Alok, I was scared of that.

This is a good team.
Old February 13, 2007, 09:01 AM
First Class Cricketer

Angry This sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahmudul.alam
Javed was selected, Tamim Out.

Personally, I am extremely pleased with the team.

Nice to see that Mashud is out. I dont want to see players in WC team whose committment is questionable. May be Mushfiq is not mature enough, but he will try his best, and there is no question in his committment.

JO, Rajin, Rasel, Tapash- I am happy to see them. They work really hard, have experience, and very committed players of BD Team.
You are happy to see JO - and pleased to see Pilot go ?!!! When was the last good performance by JO in a ODI ? And how to say Pilot's commitment is questionable. His recent batting may not be at par - but who's going to rival his keeping skills? Trust me, we are going to repent not having a top class wicket keeper in the World Cup.
Old February 13, 2007, 09:08 AM
Test Cricketer

IMHO it's a mistake not to have Mashud in the squad. He has a slow strike-rate, but he can defend his wicket, while other bangladeshi batsmen tend to be quite aggressive, so he can be useful in a game. Rahim is talented, but he never played a ODI to any team other than Zimbabwe and Scotland... and what if he has the slightest injury? Is there any other cricketer in BD squad who has ever played as wicket-keeper?
Old February 13, 2007, 09:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Flawed selection process. There is no back up middle order batsman in the team. Ofcourse, there is Rajin but I want to see him bat up the order, not Javed Omar. There is no point taking four openers. I would've gone with Tamim and Rajin along with Shahriar and pick a middle order bat like Forhad Reza or heck even Tushar. If not anything, I would pick Pilot just to be the backup keeper in case something happens to Mushfiq. Now, we don't have a backup keeper, we don't have a backup middle order bat and we have four opener including Javed Omar. Great. Nice job.
Old February 13, 2007, 09:26 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseer
Dropping Pailot is a big big mistake.
True ! its unbelievable that a young player who has still not proven anything significant with the big teams could be selected for a major event like the World Cup based just on one performance against a depleted Zimbabwe.
I am afraid this decision will not only have adverse impact on Bangladesh's progress in the tournament but also likely to put the youngster's career and confidence in jeopardy.
Old February 13, 2007, 09:32 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadi
Flawed selection process. There is no back up middle order batsman in the team. Ofcourse, there is Rajin but I want to see him bat up the order, not Javed Omar. There is no point taking four openers. I would've gone with Tamim and Rajin along with Shahriar and pick a middle order bat like Forhad Reza or heck even Tushar. If not anything, I would pick Pilot just to be the backup keeper in case something happens to Mushfiq. Now, we don't have a backup keeper, we don't have a backup middle order bat and we have four opener including Javed Omar. Great. Nice job.
my thoughts exactly, farhad reza should have been there

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 13, 2007, 09:33 AM
First Class Cricketer

good to see Mushfiq finally beat Mashud.......
Old February 13, 2007, 09:37 AM
First Class Cricketer

It seems JO is the most unpopular selection in this team. And the only reason given by everyone is that he is not aggressive enough!! But don't we already have enough aggression in the team? We have Aftab, we have SN, and even Ash-fool. A good team needs a balance of aggression and calm. Batting first and trying to score 400, if we get out at 40 because we are aggressive doesn't do us any good. The reality is we don't have Jayasuria or Afridi or Shewag in our team. So we cannot expect starts like those teams. I think for us 75-90 runs in the first 15-20 overs, a runrate of 5 or so upto over 40 with some batting left is a good model. If we have batting left after 40 overs, we can easily score close to 300 and that's enough with tighter bowling and good fielding to beat any team.
Old February 13, 2007, 09:37 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder
I think selectors were looking at JO's recent form in the league and probably will give him a chance if Tamim

fails but definitely i think Farhad Reza would've been much better although nobody is mentioning his name.

Isn't he the only player who made a 50 on his debut for bd !
with Forhad in Jo out and tapash out and Rana in his spot would bemyu dream team for now and the near future. I agree they should've given a chance to Tushar as Wasim Jaffar he really does good in domestic cricket. But he gets nervous of being kicked out from the team over and over again.
Good luck BD tea.
no use of crying over spilled milk..
Old February 13, 2007, 09:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible
It seems JO is the most unpopular selection in this team. And the only reason given by everyone is that he is not aggressive enough!! But don't we already have enough aggression in the team? We have Aftab, we have SN, and even Ash-fool. A good team needs a balance of aggression and calm. Batting first and trying to score 400, if we get out at 40 because we are aggressive doesn't do us any good. The reality is we don't have Jayasuria or Afridi or Shewag in our team. So we cannot expect starts like those teams. I think for us 75-90 runs in the first 15-20 overs, a runrate of 5 or so upto over 40 with some batting left is a good model. If we have batting left after 40 overs, we can easily score close to 300 and that's enough with tighter bowling and good fielding to beat any team.
I understand your point but we have better version of JO in Rajin and Mehrab. Thats why it is such a unpopular decision. And since Rajin is already in the squad, it is just wasting a space.
Old February 13, 2007, 09:43 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Won't complain about JO's inclusion, coz it's self-evident.
I just wanna know WHY NOT an all-rounder instead of JO????????
Old February 13, 2007, 09:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Four opening batsmen in the squad- a really puzzling decision. Only logical explanations that come to my mind-

1. Mushfiq did well rescuing our team from possible batting collapses in Zimbabwe. But Whatmore probably doesn't think Mushfiq is mature enough to play the same role against India or Lanka. So, he wants to have JO or Rajin for those kind of situations.

Or

2. Since our top order repeatedly fails against big teams (Even SN's success in ODIs against big eight is nominal) and expose our middle order early, DW wants to extend the top order i.e. open with SN and JO/Rajin, have Tamim in ondedown, and push everyone else one position back in the batting order (or shuffle Aftab back in #6 slot).

Either case would keep Ashraful on the sideline (I sincerely hope so).

Well, it's all guesswork, just thought I give you guys some food for mind.

Last edited by TheWatcher; February 13, 2007 at 10:01 AM..
Old February 13, 2007, 10:06 AM

Here is my explanation …

1. Tamim is a explosive opener and taken in as a gamble.
2. Mehrab is as slow as Javed with LESS experience against top team hence Javed in.
3. Rajin is a utility player who can be used for open as well as middle if needed.

Concern remains,, who will keep if anything happen on Mushi? May be another gamble here.

In total, best ever batting depth is the key word perhaps.
Old February 13, 2007, 10:19 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

JO is neither multi-skilled nor a utility player. He has experience alright, but they tend to be more of a nighmarish kind of experience. Absolute farce of a selection! I agree with the other posts about Farhad. He is unlucky to miss out.

Similarly, Tushar must be wondering if the selectors have a personal vendetta against him and if they are out to ruin his career.

I love the selection of Rasel. But I am interested in hearing the selectors reasonings in leaving Sharif out in the cold after one match. It all doesn't make any sense to me.

But, all my misgivings can be cast aside by the exclusion of Pilot, although much belated. JO shouldn't matter as much anyway, since I do not expect him to start.
Old February 13, 2007, 10:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Well thats what I hope. I hope Javed Omar has a nice caribean tour and lots of rest.
Old February 13, 2007, 10:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorFan
Here is my explanation …

1. Tamim is a explosive opener and taken in as a gamble.
2. Mehrab is as slow as Javed with LESS experience against top team hence Javed in.
3. Rajin is a utility player who can be used for open as well as middle if needed.

Concern remains,, who will keep if anything happen on Mushi? May be another gamble here.

In total, best ever batting depth is the key word perhaps.
Good points there. I sincerely hope JO will spend most part of the tour on the sideline, as an injury cover. As you said, having Rajin in the playing eleven gives us better flexibility.

Incase we bat first, there should be some early ball movement because of high moisture. Tamim has a very little chance to survive in that kind of condition (remember the U/19 WC last year ?). So, it will be better to send SN-Rajin to play out first ten overs, and then send Tamim to flay the opposition during the rest of the power play.

Incase we bat second, the wicket should be dry, no problem for Tamim. Send him to open with SN and keep Rajin as a collapse block if we need one.

Back up keeper ? I believe Rajin was tried in that role once.
Old February 13, 2007, 10:34 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsd3
JO is not selected. TC has published the correct list. Here you go:

TigerCricket.com Report
13-February-2007
Bangladesh squad for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2007 was announced at a media conference in Dhaka today. Following is the 15 member team:
1. Habibul Bashar (Captain)
2. Shahriar Nafees Ahmed (Vice Captain)
3. Tamim Iqbal Khan
4. Aftab Ahmed
5. Shakib Al Hasan
6. Mohammad Ashraful
7. Mushfiqur Rahim (Wicket-keeper)
8. Mohammed Rafique
9. Abdur Razzak
10. MashrafeE Bin Mortaza
11 Kazi Shahadat Hossain
12. Tapash Baishya
13. Syed Rasel
14. Rajin Saleh
well where is the 15th member?
Old February 13, 2007, 10:51 AM
First Class Cricketer

Our selectors look at it more personally rather for the country. This is JO last chance to play the WC, and as he was not selected in the last, selectors are making it upto him by taking him in this one. I won't be surprised if they make him play against Bermuda. But if that is the case then why pick Rajin, who the hell picks 4 openers ot play 3 WC games and 2 practice. And for Farhad, this guy should have been there. this guy sould have never been dropped in the first place from Zim tour. I guess, Reza havn't made any good friends in committee. Some body teach him the skills, so that he can be selected like JO and may be like Tusahr who was given 36 ODI chances and averages 16.

I think they will let ME play if sponser them.
Old February 13, 2007, 11:03 AM
First Class Cricketer

I'm afraid Tamim would be a big disappointment. With so little exposure to the world stage, I don't think he'll be able to perform. This is another example of taking someone in too early. We should have waited some more years before we include him in the national side, at a more mature stage of his career. I guess we like the idea that if he performs in one match, we could claim..."oh what a great batsman...performing at such a young age.....*remember Ash scoring one century early in his career....? But if he fails, then we can get by blaming him for his inexperience!

I think Sharif is dropped because of fitness issues....I think he hid his injury before going to Zim.....
Old February 13, 2007, 11:04 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

WHY? WHY? WHY?

Why must we have a burden in the team?

I bet the team management will play everyone in at least one match, just because it's "oh so precious World Cup". Goodluck if you wish to see JO in the sideline. If he can be lucky enough to be selected, then he's definitely going to play the first two matches. Afterall, it's going to be his first and last world cup, and our moron captain and chief selector will make sure that he doesn't return without playing any matches.

There's only one way out of this. Media may cry foul because of Mashud's omission, and govt. may intervene to include Mashud in the team. Then someone will get axed, and may be JO (like the Nannu replacing Jahangir Alam scenario in 99).
Old February 13, 2007, 11:06 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible
It seems JO is the most unpopular selection in this team. And the only reason given by everyone is that he is not aggressive enough!!
It's because he's totally useless. He can't hit, can't stay in crease. Good for only choking the team to death in his lucky day.
Old February 13, 2007, 11:07 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

I don't understand why some members are showing concern about lone keeper Mushfiq in the squad. Some are saying, 'What will happen if something happens to Mushi??'

Now, we have already played 2 World Cup and in both cases Mashud was the lone keeper. I don't know whether we were so concerned about that?

In almost every cases in longer tours (involving tests and ODI) we always took one keeper.

IMO, taking 2 Wicket keeper in a 15 man squad is a luxury and we cannot afford that. Moreover, inclusion of Pilot would have created more selection dilemma, chaos and some controversy.

Good decision by selectors.
Old February 13, 2007, 11:10 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

The team has already been selected. Its final and there's no use crying over spilled milk. Any thoughts on our starting XI for the first WC game? My team would be:

Nafees
Tamim
Aftab
Ashraful
Sakib
Bashar
Mushfiq
Mashrafee
Razzak
Shahadat
Rasel