facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 14, 2006, 04:12 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok
Default Bangladeshi players in England

There is an article about 4 Bangladeshi cricketers went to England to play a league like ash did. Even though ash was paid handsomely these poor chaps got food for work kind of deal. Funny thing is the article says they plaid for this club that owned by a Indian but at the end also mention one left spinner got highest wickets for Abahani ltd (London) who became runners-up in that kookaburra league. And he might be also the best all rounder in that league. Pretty amazing.
I was wondering if anyone from London could verify this as I don't believe the Bangladeshi papers at all.
here is the link
http://www.prothom-alo.org/mcat.news...yMg==&mid=OA==

Source: prothom-alo.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled

Old September 14, 2006, 07:30 PM
First Class Cricketer

Its sad to hear that these former players having to go through such hardship only to play for free in the UK. if only there was adequet facilities available for them to feel more welcome here.

Their is surely someone out here in the UK who has the competency and the resources available to become their agent, surely someone can captialise on this opprotunity.

Ok so maybe the pool of players available may not be that great, but that is an ever expanding resource, and the standards players are also improving. think about it, Abohani were the runners up in the kookaburra league and they acheived it with a handfull of these players, and also as Hasan mentioned "we may be playing for free now, and clubs may show little interest in us, but our performances is our best way to show our credetials and thats advertising in its self".

It was funny though to hear from the Pakistani agent claiming that "Bangladeshi cricketers havent developed adequet culture to play here" what nonsense.

Last edited by baisab; September 14, 2006 at 07:36 PM..
Old September 14, 2006, 08:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Yes, there is an Abahani Club that plays in a Surrey league, and they are the runners up in the division one this year. Some N Chowdhury (Nadif ?) and R Ullah (Mahmudullah Riyad ?) had become players of the season last year from this club.

Source

Middlesex Premier league is an Asian Sunday league. Ekta club plays in the third division here. In the result section of their website, Ahsan Ullah's name came up very frequently in short scorecards.

So, I guess those players did not lie to us.

Anyway, nothing to be excited yet, standard of those two leagues are probably even lower than that of the one Ash played. I hope those boys will find better clubs next year.

Last edited by TheWatcher; September 14, 2006 at 09:10 PM..
Old September 14, 2006, 11:09 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Its sad but i reckon thats how u start to make your mark on the higher grounds.
Once our national team players starts to play better consistent cricket and make a name for themselves in the international arena, this unknown youngsters would also get paid for their services.

It all comes down to the reputation of your country and her credibility in the big scenario.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old September 15, 2006, 03:07 AM
Test Cricketer

only if our domestic cricket was better, then these players wouldnt have to go to england and play for free. its sad because we are a test playing nation and our players has to go to another country and play for free. i heard about imran before. i think he used to play u-19 team. i hope our cricket board play more attention to improving domestic cricket. but they are too busy with changing names.
Old September 15, 2006, 03:31 AM
Test Cricketer

So sad to hear that.......

This is because our cricketers are mostly without university degree. They don't have any qualification except playing cricket. They mostly get into a team very quick at their early age, leaving their education aside. But when their cricketing ability fails, they have no where to go. NO backup plans. But mostly cricketers in other nations are quite educated. Most of the Indian and Sl cricketers has uni degree.

Imagine ASh drops out or heavily injured and can never play again(hope it never happens). What will he do to survive except to play for free in rainhill club? EVen habibul has no uni degree. He left out from uni when cricket started to click. NOt everybody is as lucky as him.
If you don't study at your young age, your brain won't function properly. You can't accept new things. Some of the Pakistani cricketers , they have some knowledge about physics and hence they could discover bowling like reverse swing. When is our cricketers going to discover any new tactics?
Old September 15, 2006, 04:44 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mominul

Really sad to hear that.I remember the name of these cricketers came regularly during National League.They had quite decent performances.Actually the thing which makes me more sad is their lack of acceptance even though they have good performance.I hope things will change within couple of years.When BD national will come up with more regular wins, our players will surely be adorned in foreign leagues too.
Old September 15, 2006, 08:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Things will definately get better if they keep on performing. I am sure next year the same team will hire them for money if these clubs are semi-professional. An agent can help them out in many ways. For example, clubs in New York sometime look for players from Bangladesh but can't get them as they don't know many young players and even if they know them, don't know how to bring them for many reasons (visa, ticket). An agent can certainly help those players get contract overseas.
Old September 15, 2006, 08:15 AM
ODI Cricketer

I am surprised about Hasan. He was one young talented player, if I am not mistaken, used to play for BIMAN. What a pitty!
Old September 15, 2006, 08:15 AM
ODI Cricketer

I am surprised about Hasan. He was one young talented player, if I am not mistaken, used to play for BIMAN. What a pitty!
Old September 15, 2006, 08:21 AM
Cricket Guru

baisab: they r not old players actually they r upcoming player from u-19 and so on. Main thing is they went there cause it was off season here and I think it was great of them cause they now know how hard it is out side the country (not only playing, I mean surviving on his own) and also were among the game so surely they will do better in the domestic.
I like that our future players thinking has changed and I see no shame. Its hard world out there and you have to prove your self before anyone else would give you money/chance and they already were told that they will have job for next season. I am sure next generation of bd cricketer will not have so much trouble inshallah.
and the watcher thanks for the source

Last edited by akabir77; September 15, 2006 at 10:05 AM..
Old September 15, 2006, 08:40 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Before jonny Unitus became Hall of famer for the Jets he was cut from Pittsburg. Before Vijay singh became the #1 player in the world, #1 in the money list (golf - 2004), he had to borrow money from friends to travel and enter in tournaments to pay his fees. Before ... there are countless cases of players in so many sports shinning just through hard work, perseverance and relentless tries.

I wish these boys stick to their guns (keep practicing) and one day prove to the nay sayers they belong.
Old September 15, 2006, 10:14 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

so sad. this should not be happening to them. they had to pay for their transportation. so sad
Old September 15, 2006, 10:34 AM
Cricket Sage

There is definitely silver lining in this story. No body is going to give you respect by default as a Bangladeshi Player. We have to earn that. Only then the next group of players will get benefitted from that. These are the pioneers, the pioneers sacrifices, make path for the rest.

btw all is not lost. Hopefully the experience in Engaland both cricket related and non-cricket related, whill help them realize the real competative world infront of them and make them realize oopportunity doesn't come in dozens by chance, it comes once in a while and you have to work for it. Therefore unlike AshraFul, I hope, if they get real opportunity to play for our national team, they will be mentally more prepared not to squander that opportunity.

I think its just the the begining of something good that is going to happen. This is new for the players as well as for the team, therefore the financial arrangement is not that great. In future local teams, like Abahani, will be in a better position to help this players to be solvent financially during their stay in UK.
Old September 15, 2006, 10:59 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

In England it is probably hard to get these under the table jobs. However, its a good thing they published this in newspaper, the Bangladeshi's in England can now know of this and offer them job next time.

We, BC fans in England can play a positive role in making that happen.
Old September 15, 2006, 11:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Many of you probably did not notice, Jamal Babu had quite a successful season in England club cricket this year. Ex BD U/17 team captain Kafi Khan also had a moderate season in the Surrey Championship. I believe both of them got paid as overseas professionals.
Old September 15, 2006, 12:53 PM
Test Cricketer

I was wondering if the best way to get these kids into some serious cricket in England is to have them take the A-level exam. If they do well they could be acccepted in one of the Oxford or a Cambridge university systems schools. Of course we have to find some sponsors to bear some of the financial burdens. I see a number of subcontinental playes in Briitsh Unversities 11. I would like to hear if somebody over there has a story to share.
Old September 15, 2006, 02:52 PM
Cricket Guru

I knew somebody who use to open for the university 11 from bd. he went their to do his bar at law. he was a pretty good batsman. He returned home though but he said he had to retire because he scored over 50 and that's the rule for the league that unixi plays...
Old September 15, 2006, 03:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
I knew somebody who use to open for the university 11 from bd. he went their to do his bar at law. he was a pretty good batsman. He returned home though but he said he had to retire because he scored over 50 and that's the rule for the league that unixi plays...
So if you score a 50, you have to retire for life? Interesting!!!
Old September 15, 2006, 04:06 PM
Cricket Guru

no i meant for that innings duhhh
Old September 15, 2006, 04:32 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Ehsanul haque Sezan played for Chiswick and latymer in the Thamesvalley Cricket league, this is a very organized league compared to Surrey Kookabura league. He had a decent contact, £100 per match.

http://www.tvlcricket.demon.co.uk/viewscr.htm

Last edited by Miraz; September 15, 2006 at 04:37 PM..