facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old November 16, 2005, 09:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Default BBC-Bangladesh survey!

Quote:
But the majority agreed that Bangladesh is the best country in which to live.
BBC-BD survey

Old November 16, 2005, 10:18 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Saeed Anwar

Very interesting.

Quote:
Across all regions, the survey revealed that Bangladeshis see themselves as "friendly, peace-loving and religious".
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...ey/html/10.stm
Old November 16, 2005, 12:21 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawah
Very interesting.

Quote:
Across all regions, the survey revealed that Bangladeshis see themselves as "friendly, peace-loving and religious".
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...ey/html/10.stm
I sense sarcasm... May I ask why?
Old November 16, 2005, 02:19 PM
Street Cricketer

aha aha buk gorbhe bhore jai...good job good job oracle!!!
Old November 16, 2005, 02:25 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally posted by Hatebreed
[I sense sarcasm... May I ask why?
Because majority of BD muslims don't pray five times a day, majority of muslim men don't keep beard, majority of muslim women don't wear hijab and much fewer people are interested to affiliate themselves with tabligh or any other religion based organization/movements. These makes them "muslim in name", not real muslim.

Edited on, November 16, 2005, 7:27 PM GMT, by Spitfire_x86.
Old November 16, 2005, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

now i sense sarcasm too
Old November 16, 2005, 02:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
Quote:
Because majority of BD muslims don't pray five times a day, majority of muslim men don't keep beard, majority of muslim women don't wear hijab and much fewer people are interested to affiliate themselves with tabligh or any other religion based organization/movements. These makes them "muslim in name", not real muslim.

By this standard, may I ask which country has "real Muslims"?

In no other Muslim country does a significantly higher proportion of the population engage in Tabligh work or oother religion based movements.
Old November 16, 2005, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

look at my post above
Old November 16, 2005, 04:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Jayasuria

this is a joke right?????
Old November 16, 2005, 04:39 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Add "do not pay Zakat".

I don't have the source so do not ask for one. Only 1% among US muslims pays Zakat (Those who are eligible). May be same for BD (speculation).
Old November 16, 2005, 06:00 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Quote:
Quote:

not pray 5 times a day - very true.. no matter what excuse people gives, praying is the utmost important thing in Islam.. sadly not many muslims do it regardless of their nation, origin or country of residence..

hijab... that's also true but then again it doesn't happen in most muslim countries anyway... it'd probably be more applicable if the country is strictly ruled by Islamic law.. in that case why should it be any different in a 'people's replublic of bangladesh'?

beard?... oh that's bs.. having a beard does not make someone a real or better muslim..

affiliate with tabligh... that's biased mate.. i think you have something personal against the tabligh approach for whatever reasons.. just because it's crucial for muslims does not mean everyone has to go out and do it... and I doubt it happens for majority of other muslim countries.

"any other religion based organization/movements"... now I'm starting to think you are frustrated by several misconceptions about being a true Muslim..

Relax
Old November 16, 2005, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

OMG...looks like a sarcasm 101 mid term wouldn't cross a 50 avg on this thread.
Old November 17, 2005, 01:38 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: nadif chowdhury

I'm not surprised..I remember Bangladeshis being rated as the happiest people in the world in some Index. Can't really remember the details..
Old November 17, 2005, 12:25 PM
Cricket Sage

Glad that Bangladeshis being rated the happiest people.

I guess I need to go back to bangladesh. Kintu Kala Jahangir (look alike) abar dourani debe na to?
Old November 17, 2005, 03:17 PM
Banned

Edited on, November 18, 2005, 11:41 AM GMT, by banglar_dorbesh.
Old November 17, 2005, 08:45 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
I think the people said that out of patriotism. If Bangladesh is so great, why does everyone want to leave it?

"Moreover, 65% of respondents said that if children are to have the best start in life, they should be sent abroad."

But the really worrying part I think is:
" The survey revealed that religious leaders were the most trusted in the country. "
Old November 17, 2005, 11:05 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Quote:
Originally posted by fab
Quote:
I think the people said that out of patriotism. If Bangladesh is so great, why does everyone want to leave it?

"Moreover, 65% of respondents said that if children are to have the best start in life, they should be sent abroad."
the reasons for sending their children abroad for a 'better start in life' is vague.. it could be education, which is not widely accessible in Bangladesh.. besides quality of education is way better in other countries..

what we learn is very important for our future and the children are our future.. education is the backbone of a nation, therefore they need better access to good education which bangladesh has always failed to provide..
Old November 18, 2005, 12:30 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
what we learn is very important for our future and the children are our future.. education is the backbone of a nation, therefore they need better access to good education which bangladesh has always failed to provide..
Hence Bangladesh is not a good place to live, hence the first quote is inaccurate.
Old November 18, 2005, 12:57 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Quote:
Originally posted by fab
Quote:
Hence Bangladesh is not a good place to live, hence the first quote is inaccurate.
that's not true... the statement is a generalisation of a range different aspects that people were surveyed on....

education is vital but just because bangladesh, an LEDC is lagging behind in this sector doesn't make it a bad country 'to live in', which could be said for far worse things that exist such as 'poverty', 'terrorism', 'corruption' etc.. you may live in a $hithole but you can still like living there..

good education contributes to 'better quality of life' so these people probably feel if it's not widely accessible in bangladesh then to ensure a 'better future' of their children and the country itself, they should be sent abroad.. it does not imply the children will not return to their homeland to secure the lives for their families and the next generation..

nonetheless, education is something bangladesh still needs to improve on.. i hope that makes enough sense.
Old November 18, 2005, 09:26 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by fab
Quote:
Well... perhaps not just out of patriotism. There are some rational reasons also which could be:
.....You can exploit many things in this country. For example,
-You can get a job without qualification if you have mama-chacha or khomotaban-shoshur.
-You can earn quick money even if you don’t deserve, if you 'oil' the proper machines.
-You can earn some fast mysterious money and jump from one class to the upper.
-If you are 'dynamic' enough.. you may even become a high political figure even if you are one of the most disrespected persons in the society.

Now where else on earth would you get such happy deals?
Quote:
Quote:
the reasons for sending their children abroad for a 'better start in life' is vague.. it could be education, which is not widely accessible in Bangladesh.. besides quality of education is way better in other countries..
This concept of ‘having a better start in life’ probably comes more from employment opportunities rather than education standard. A very common idea among BD people is that having an education in the country will narrow down his/her scopes in the local job sector unless he/she is among the luckiest ones surviving the hard contest for the limited number of top-ranked faculties (Medical/Engineering/BBA/IT sector) in the Country. And with a background of general category they won’t be able to suit themselves in job sectors of other countries as well. On the other hand Business sector in BD is probably among the worst in the world.

So, towards which direction is the major share of our education structure leading the youth these days? :duh:

Edited on, November 18, 2005, 2:38 PM GMT, by Ahmed_B.
Old November 19, 2005, 12:05 AM
Test Cricketer

"Continuing this optimistic note over 70% of those canvassed agreed with the statement "I am happy with my life today".

Wow. My heart is in pain to think that I've ever resented anything in my life. If these ppl, with their hardships can still be happy, then by Allah, I must try and be like-minded.

By the way, this thread should be less about whether or not bangladeshis are wearing hijab, and more about the survey.