facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 6, 2013, 12:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

I tell you the jeering is not enough. "Bhua, bhua" won't cut it, after all, how will the foreign players understand what is being said? They might even confuse it for appreciation. The fans need to come up with some meaner insults, and insults which can be understood by the opposition.

I used to watch wwf as a kid. A good old Kurt Angle style "you suck" is a good place to start.

And any sponsors of institutional education is elitist to me, sorry.
Old November 6, 2013, 12:37 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
I tell you the jeering is not enough. "Bhua, bhua" won't cut it, after all, how will the foreign players understand what is being said? They might even confused it for appreciation. The fans need to come up with some meaner insults, and insults which can be understood by the opposition.

I used to watch wwf as a kid. A good old Kurt Angle style "you suck" is a good place to start.

And any sponsors of institutional education is elitist to me, sorry.
hahaha, we need Kurt's entrance theme for that!
Old November 6, 2013, 01:11 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

As Mod-
Let me emphasize that the thread OP intends to discuss the crowd behavior in the stadiums and NOT us as a race/nation etc.

Let me also remind you all about the forum rules, particularly the one below:
"Do not post anything hateful, demeaning, or discriminatory towards any country, nationality, race, ethnicity, religion and gender. We have zero tolerance for all kinds of prejudice and bigotry."

while thoughtful self criticism is welcome please do not make sweeping generalizations that other members may find offensive.

thank you
Old November 6, 2013, 01:43 AM
BC Editorial Team

The 1st premise: cricket watching is different from watching other sports. It is traditionally expected from cricket fans that they will appreciate good play from an opponent as well as their own side.

The 2nd premise: Our Tiger fans lack, in comparison to other country's _cricket_ fan, the sense of good spectator behavior

The question: Whither #2?

Theories offered by respondents to this thread:
1) Why should cricket viewing be different from other sports? Deal with the boorishness - tis the sign of a passionate fan
2) Bangladeshi spectators lack cricketing sophistication (owing to our nascent history, as a country and as a Test-cricketing nation). It will come
3) Bangladesh is full of uncouth people - as reflected in its politics and other affairs - and its cricket fans reflect merely the rest of the country
4) More "uneducated" or "low-class fans attend cricket matches these days
5) Those suggesting #2, #3 and #4 suffer from more self-loathing than Raoul Duke and Dr. Gonzo combined! Not really a reason but ...

My take (as a fan).
I don't fully sagree with premise #1. While true of English fans (in the olden days), I do not believe cricket spectators in other countries are greatly more civil. Aussies are definitely are not and there has been much bellyaching in Torey rags such as Telegraph about how English fans now do Mexican waves and shout slogans such as "Where's your caravan" (to the gypsie looking Gillespie). There _is_ an element of showing appreciation of opponent play but it tends to vary.

I do agree with premise #2. I disagree with premise #2. Confused? I have seen, in the VIP gallery mind you, dads egging their kids to call players names. But I have also seen, in the general gallery, sporting banter and play between opponent players and the fans and some appreciation of good play.

I think reasons #2 and #3 are at play here. Those who go watch cricket regularly pick up on the good behavior and will be "civil" fans. Newbies not so much. It has very little to do with education or upbringing. There are civil tokais and uncouth bankers.
Old November 6, 2013, 10:08 AM
First Class Cricketer

I am interested to know what folks here think about sledging. I think the origin of sledging is probably one of the countries with higher percentage of "educated" people.
Old November 7, 2013, 09:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinDaMartian
I am interested to know what folks here think about sledging. I think the origin of sledging is probably one of the countries with higher percentage of "educated" people.
gavaskar was saying that windies players would play extremely aggressively on the field but they NEVER verbally abused the opponents. he asked bishop about it who said that sledging was "reprehensible".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
And recently we saw what Dhawan and Raina did to Watson.
they were returning the favour to watson. watson was mocking dhawan in the previous match when he was limping due to a cramp.

sometimes the player has a role too
Quote:
The gesture
Tino Best can evoke a lot of emotions in various people and is a rare character in cricket. On the second morning, after M Vijay tapped a ball back to him on the charge, Best reacted quickly on his follow through by throwing the ball over the batsman's head. That may have been Best's way of welcoming Vijay, but the early morning crowd cautioned the bowler with a collective scream. Smartly, as he walked towards his fielding position in the deep, Best folded both his hands to form a 'namaste'. The crowd, impressed with the gesture, applauded him loudly.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-...ry/686493.html
Old November 6, 2013, 10:16 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Let's see how the Aussie crowds treats the English esp Stuart Broad on this return Ashes. The Indian crowds made disgraceful gestures to Symonds once. Harbajhan was made fun in Australia too. And recently we saw what Dhawan and Raina did to Watson.

The fact that Lord's crowd clapped for Tamim's hundreds is slightly different as well. They acknowledged a good innings from a new team. I think if Mohammed Nabi scores a 100 for AFG in front of SBNS he will get similar claps as well.

Some crowds are SBNS are nasty but that doesn't apply to all 25k people. They used to ban water bottle inside the stadium because some people would pee in it and throw the bottle inside the field.
Old November 6, 2013, 11:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubho

An opponent gets a 50. No applause.
An opponent scores a century. Crickets. Tumbleweed.
An opponent takes five wickets. Deathly silence. Are we at Banani Graveyard or Mirpur?
A home batsman gets out after a good score. Silence.
A home batsman gets out after a poor score. Jeering. Bhua! Bhua!
I am sure all these will change with TIME. specially when we be come top 5.
Old November 7, 2013, 01:23 AM

Our media and ex cricket players can help a bit on this issue. We should not leave the issue on OP to take care by time only. Couple of years of effort from BCB, media, cricket player can bring a significant change, and we should do it.
Old November 7, 2013, 02:10 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Remember remember, on the 5th of November, the OP asks:

WHY AREN'T BD SPECTATORS MORE CIVIL ?

Remember remember, on the 6th of November, the opposition captain says after the match:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLE MILLS
Vibrant crowds here and we've been privileged to play in front of these crowds.
Source : http://www.espncricinfo.com/banglade...iew=commentary

OOPPSSS....

Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old November 10, 2013, 11:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
Remember remember, on the 5th of November, the OP asks:

WHY AREN'T BD SPECTATORS MORE CIVIL ?

Remember remember, on the 6th of November, the opposition captain says after the match:

Source : http://www.espncricinfo.com/banglade...iew=commentary

OOPPSSS....

I don't think any team in the world would say anything bad about the local crowd unless they were assaulted. Just because NZ players didn't get a clap or cheer does not warrant the touring side to be critical of our crowd, especially when the interview is taken in front on them, but it does not hide the fact that our crowd/ cricket fans, just like our cricketers, have a long way to go to be matured enough to follow the etiquette the OP was referring to.
Old November 11, 2013, 02:20 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaar
I don't think any team in the world would say anything bad about the local crowd unless they were assaulted. Just because NZ players didn't get a clap or cheer does not warrant the touring side to be critical of our crowd, especially when the interview is taken in front on them, but it does not hide the fact that our crowd/ cricket fans, just like our cricketers, have a long way to go to be matured enough to follow the etiquette the OP was referring to.
Nobody would say bad things, but then again, nobody is forced to say good things either.
At the end of what was a disastrous tour for them, the acting captain could have talked about any topic BUT still took the time to appreciate the crowd and mentions that "it is a privilege to play in front of this vibrant crowd" , even though he wasn't asked any question related to the local crowd.

He did not need to make that statement unless he meant it and the word of a touring captain is what the whole world hear and read.
Old November 7, 2013, 06:27 AM

People remember what they hear, what they see, what they say, and also what they read. So you are right Rabz!
Old November 7, 2013, 06:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

Shubho, I am with you. fans on this side of the border are usually no more appreciative of opponents than those in BD. and I feel a bit bummed by it.

would it hurt to acknowledge good performance by the other side ? they can do that while continuing to be loud and boisterous. tear your voice out supporting the home team but clap a little when the other side guys does something memorable. he will remember you fondly as well.
Old November 7, 2013, 07:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

The fact is that this sort of applause makes your opponent feel better. Its not that they are your enemies. They came here to play with you and what we should do is to make them feel better.

Unlike Bangladeshi cricketers, many of these kiwi players have seldom played in such packed crowds and it always feels great when the crowd appreciates your performance. Players that take part in IPL not only for the money. They have a great atmosphere to play in especially when the crowd chants your name or screams when you score a boundary or take a wicket.

Its not necessary for fans to be appreciative of opposition but we want to boast an environment where the players will come over to enjoy for a short stint.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)
Old November 7, 2013, 07:42 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

People who are saying BD spectators ain't civil enough, haven't watched a football in Dhaka stadium. If you had watched any games in early 90s then you'd prolly never question today's BD spectators behaviour in a cricket match. To me, BD spectators are now more knowledgeable and understandable. Forget about opponent, we used to curse our players for not hitting 4/6s on single ball before but now we even cheer for well played dot balls. Just compare this to 10-15 years prior situation. Its a rapid change. I'd say BD spectators are now more considered, may be we are not as sporting as others but it would take some time.
Old November 7, 2013, 01:59 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

^^ Abahani - Mohamodon match e gele bujhto galagali ki jinish, ar civility koto prokar o ki ki.
Even cricket matches in the BNS were different than SBNS.

Mirpur is so polite and civil these days !!
Old November 8, 2013, 02:30 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
^^ Abahani - Mohamodon match e gele bujhto galagali ki jinish, ar civility koto prokar o ki ki.
Even cricket matches in the BNS were different than SBNS.

Mirpur is so polite and civil these days !!
Khali galagali ??? Ek kaley amar baap chacha ra maramari o korche gallery r bhitor. Ar ami nije police er mair er bhoye dour o disi. shei shob kotha mone korle ekhoner obostha onek bhalo. Even 10-15 years agey keo chintao korte parey nai, stadium e maa bon ra jabe. Ar ekhon VIP box to durer kotha, gallery teo meye ra nishchinte khela dekhte parey. So, amra jei jogli jug theke ei porjonto ashte pari, inshaAllah agami bochor gula te manush er bebohar o khela dekhar poribesh aro onek bhalo hobe ! Ekhon je jinish ta kharap lagey sheta holo ticket niye hahakar, 1 ta ticket kinar jonno bank er shamne doura douri, office bhanga bhangi. Ei ticket distribution problem ta thik kora dorkar !
Old November 8, 2013, 03:47 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
Khali galagali ??? Ek kaley amar baap chacha ra maramari o korche gallery r bhitor. Ar ami nije police er mair er bhoye dour o disi. shei shob kotha mone korle ekhoner obostha onek bhalo. Even 10-15 years agey keo chintao korte parey nai, stadium e maa bon ra jabe. Ar ekhon VIP box to durer kotha, gallery teo meye ra nishchinte khela dekhte parey. So, amra jei jogli jug theke ei porjonto ashte pari, inshaAllah agami bochor gula te manush er bebohar o khela dekhar poribesh aro onek bhalo hobe ! Ekhon je jinish ta kharap lagey sheta holo ticket niye hahakar, 1 ta ticket kinar jonno bank er shamne doura douri, office bhanga bhangi. Ei ticket distribution problem ta thik kora dorkar !
lol!, Hacha kotha!
Old November 8, 2013, 06:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Er mane to Naimul bhai hochce BC er Riad

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old November 11, 2013, 12:16 AM
Administrator

Why should cricket be any different from other competitive sports these days? The days of having crumpets, tea, and cucumber sandwiches and politely clapping a leisurely run are long dead. Will I show appreciation if the Cowboys score a 4th down pass-fake touchdown against my Eagles? The hell no.