facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 4, 2013, 10:49 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
I like both Atahar and Shamim.
Thank God for them, at least we have two commies in the box who does a decent enough job.

If they weren't good enough, no broadcaster would have consistently employ them.
If there are Richie Benauds on the pipeline, where are they ?
I wish we had a 'Like' button!

Old November 4, 2013, 10:54 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Shamim gives me a headache with his overuse of words/phrases like "delectable." Plus, his cricket knowledge leaves a lot to be desired. I really cringe when he interviews someone in Bangla. I have no issues with AAK. Yes, he has a minor speech issue, but his commentary adds to the visual. I am not tempted to mute the audio when he speaks.
Old November 4, 2013, 11:22 AM
Cricket Legend

If we're being honest, I think neither Athar Ali Khan nor Shamim Chowdhury can hold a candle to the top commentators of any other country. I think even the likes of Pommie Mbangwa and Danny Morrison are better. Neither AAK nor SC offers much cricketing insight. And both overuse certain stock phrases, which can be a touch annoying at times:

AAK: "And why not?"
AAK: "That has gone many a miles!" (sic)
AAK: "That's a biggie!"
AAK: "Look at the crowd going mad!"
AAK: "That was in the slot."

SC: "Dancing down the wicket..."
SC: "A delectable stroke..."
SC: "Tonked it over long on/off..."
SC: "Dispatched it to the boundary with disdain..."
SC: "Got underneath that very nicely."

That said, I am glad both of them are in the commentary box representing Bangladesh. We need someone there, and there is no one better than them at the moment. Their English is sufficiently fluent and they are sufficiently adept at conveying the goings-on in the field, as well as the passion in the stands. Despite the tired phrases and stating-the-bleeding-obvious, the commentary is not dull by any means. Besides, they have blazed a trail for other Bangladeshis to step into the commentary box over time and set higher standards.

Bottom line: They aren't particularly good, but they are competent. They are definitely not an embarrassment. Kind of like the 2007 WC-vintage Bangladesh cricket team.
Old November 4, 2013, 12:34 PM
Test Cricketer

Both of them are just fine.
No point comparing to them to commentators from other nations.

I'm not embarrassed to listen to their commentary!
Old November 4, 2013, 12:42 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Atahar Ali Khan invented "Banglawash". Enough said.
Old November 4, 2013, 01:20 PM
Cricket Sage

BrianLara is banned for one months, but this thread is thriving without him.

BrianLara Cabi maira dilo chaira....
Old November 4, 2013, 02:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

Athar isn't a good commentator. If you believe it, he was even worse (far worse) when he started around 2003. But I will never ever hate him. Here's why:

When Bangladesh toured Pakistan in 2003 (we remember Multan, don't we?) everyone but him were Pakistani in the comm box and they were tearing our boys apart, often undeservedly. If you remember, the umpiring of that tour was absolute sh!t, worst I have ever seen and still the biased Pakistani commentators were overlooking all the howlers going against us. All except Athar. He was like a gladiator in the comm box, fending off the hungry lions all by his lonesome. I will always remember his stubborn defense. No matter how bad he is, one can't deny that he loves our cricket team more than most of us and that's a very desirable quality right now since we have so few friends in the comm box.
Old November 4, 2013, 02:45 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashfaq
Athar isn't a good commentator. If you believe it, he was even worse (far worse) when he started around 2003. But I will never ever hate him. Here's why:

When Bangladesh toured Pakistan in 2003 (we remember Multan, don't we?) everyone but him were Pakistani in the comm box and they were tearing our boys apart, often undeservedly. If you remember, the umpiring of that tour was absolute sh!t, worst I have ever seen and still the biased Pakistani commentators were overlooking all the howlers going against us. All except Athar. He was like a gladiator in the comm box, fending off the hungry lions all by his lonesome. I will always remember his stubborn defense. No matter how bad he is, one can't deny that he loves our cricket team more than most of us and that's a very desirable quality right now since we have so few friends in the comm box.
Another reason why we must have a "like" button!
Old November 4, 2013, 03:16 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:

I think Athar's family originally is from Pakistan. He still has considerable family there and goes there from time to time. You will see that if you follow his FB page. But he decided to defend BD even in that hostile condescending Pak comm box.

Yes he is very passionate. Maybe not the best of commentators but certainly not the worst. I don't have any problem listening to him.
Old November 4, 2013, 03:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

Wonderfully said. I completely agree. His love and faith on our cricket team is something we should respect. He is the best commentator we have in terms of cricketing knowledge.
Old November 4, 2013, 04:35 PM
Cricket Legend
ICC WT20 2016 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Completely agree with Ashfaq bhai, Athar definitely has guts unlike Shamim who gets too cheeky trying to be neutral. Athar is the only commentator who has time and again mentioned/protested about the uncountable howlers that went against us.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Old November 4, 2013, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

They both suck as commentators, yes, but if I had to pick one of the two, I'd pick Atahar. In fact I put my computer on mute when Shamim comes on. Man chuckles at his own "witty" comments while the rest of the world rolls its eyes towards heaven.

But there's nothing to be embarrassed about (re: Atahar's case). He doesn't "represent" anyone, he's just another crappy commentator from the subcon.
Old November 4, 2013, 11:09 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:

Post of this thread.
Zunaed bhai, please give him some brownie points for this post
Old November 4, 2013, 11:17 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Dhaka's noise pollution made some of us selectively deaf when our commies are on, but I'm glad that someone's there to represent us. No worse than the politicians who represent our country.

Having said that, Ata's English is proof that you no longer need basic proficiency to get an MBA from IBA, or simple exposure to those who are, doesn't necessarily improve your own. Those who think he speaks English well ought to inventory their own relationship with the language. Shamim is a wannabe jolly vulgarian who chuckles at his own attempts at wit, especially after a few drinks in the booth.

Together, their commentary is also hollow, unless we consider poor mimicry to be substantial. Overstating the obvious and badly parroted clichés comprise more than 98% of their play-by-play effort. Not a lot of anecdotal insight either. Too bad someone like Pilot doesn't speak English well enough, or Shakil Kasem doesn't seem interested in the job.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old November 4, 2013, 11:24 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

although a bit embarrassing but still they are better than some very irritating commentators from SL, INDIA and PAK
Old November 5, 2013, 01:39 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: taskin / anamul

really embrass bangladesh really need some good commentator like tony greg or danny morrison
Old November 5, 2013, 03:26 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

After commentating in so many matches and having spent so much time with the team, I wish they at least shared some interesting anecdotes!

What if Isam gave up his quill and parchment and took up a mike?
Old November 5, 2013, 03:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Any leg break bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal

The best post so far for me in this thread
Old November 5, 2013, 04:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
Dhaka's noise pollution made some of us selectively deaf when our commies are on, but I'm glad that someone's there to represent us. No worse than the politicians who represent our country.

Having said that, Ata's English is proof that you no longer need basic proficiency to get an MBA from IBA, or simple exposure to those who are, doesn't necessarily improve your own. Those who think he speaks English well ought to inventory their own relationship with the language. Shamim is a wannabe jolly vulgarian who chuckles at his own attempts at wit, especially after a few drinks in the booth.

Together, their commentary is also hollow, unless we consider poor mimicry to be substantial. Overstating the obvious and badly parroted clichés comprise more than 98% of their play-by-play effort. Not a lot of anecdotal insight either. Too bad someone like Pilot doesn't speak English well enough, or Shakil Kasem doesn't seem interested in the job.
I wonder why Shakil Kashem does not come into this. He speaks decent english. I like his analysis as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal

Hahahhaha....you rock Fazal bhai.

Reading this thtread is fun! I was away for 2 days after Banglawash, just took a rest! But this thread is an entertainer.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old November 5, 2013, 04:55 AM
Banned

You only have two to choose from - Athar OR Shamim. Athar's choice of words supersedes Shamim
Old November 5, 2013, 06:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Wice captain..many a mile..my word..take that..
Old November 5, 2013, 12:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

I love AA KHAN! I don't care about his English. When he is at the commentary box I always feel there is someone who will not take any Sh*t about us from any other commentator.
Old November 5, 2013, 12:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLara7
It's cringeworthy to listen to his commentary among non bangladeshis... I find it hard to believe that no one in BD has decent cricketing knowledge and can also speak English accurately and without stuttering every 5 seconds.. my word let's not even talk about his biased commentary and lack of cricketing insights and common sense . Rant over
You are right. His commentary is very poor. I also some times feel embarrassed when he speak.
Old November 5, 2013, 01:32 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
i have a question..why you guys dont like shamim?, i might be wrong but his English is better then Athar IMHO though Shamim is the Mullah of Commentary
His English far better but his content is not. he doesn't do any research on anything. always gives out advises when as he himself never played cricket. (listen to bhogley or what ever his name is from india, he will ask question to the fellow commentator or share his experience like saying 2000 this happen in this situation). But shamim will say no need to play that kind of rash shot (even if we are chasing 400). to him players are robot and they should follow the book of cricket on every ball. funny thing is if the rash shot brings a 4/6 he will say that's the way etc etc. I remember one time some one asked him about a new upcoming player (i think that was his 1st game in ntl team) and his answer was i don't know him... The guy was shakib i think...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old November 5, 2013, 01:33 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

and oh yeah Ather is much better then many others like waker/ravi/manjeker... though i don't like his new charlie chaplin look.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled