facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 8, 2006, 01:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Default No way to encourage new players

I have raised this topic previously and I am raising it again cuz i feel passionately abt it.

A country cannot encourage particaipation of new young players if they only recieve 800tk per day for participating in a first class match. I understand that we are in no way a developed nation but even thn just 800 Tk for 7 hrs of tiresome work!!!!
I mean these people are doing a respectable job and they deserve much more.

Zimbabwe players had clashes with the board for a long time regarding the pay. A lot of players even stopped playing earlier than they wud have otherwise retired. And This is a serious issue. A selector whose job is just to select eleven players based on stats ans performance gets a healthy pay. And by the way Bangladesh is the only Test nation where the selectors earn more than the first class players. Pathetic....

http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/11/09/d61109040335.htm

Old November 8, 2006, 02:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

We talked about it so many times but still no progress. Unless you call the raise from 400tk to 800tk a progress. Only option is to let divisions compete for their players. When a division knows that a player has no other option but to play here, the pay will never increase. If there is a competition and players can pick their own division, teams will get sponsors and compete for those players.
Old November 8, 2006, 03:35 PM
First Class Cricketer

what are you all saying - no progress? that's a 100% increase in the pay (from 400 to 800 taka!!)

Jokes aside, all BCB cares about is how to milk the young talents to fill up their own pockets....
Old November 8, 2006, 03:45 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

That is pathetic. Per match they will make TK. 3200 (~$46). Thats just pathetic!
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old November 8, 2006, 07:33 PM
Cricket Legend

The good thing is that even with such low pay we are still producing so many promising players. I guess if only the BCB could attract more youngstars to consider cricket as a career option ( by giving them proper allowances) than we are well on our way on being a very competetive side in near future. By any chance can anyone tell me if the cricket board actually produces a financial document stating how it spends all its money? I would love to look into that.

Totally off topic but does neone know the torrent site where I might get the game between Bang and India in which Bangladesh Won...
Old November 9, 2006, 12:29 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
Totally off topic but does neone know the torrent site where I might get the game between Bang and India in which Bangladesh Won...
You should be able to find some on BC...but that's not torrent.
Old November 9, 2006, 12:43 AM
Cricket Guru

No matter how many times you open a discussion thread about it, you've always got my support for it. With this discussion, you are actually searching for the root of our problem in getting quality players.

I know a former selector closely. His name is Ahmed Iqbal (captained Biman for many years). He always tells me that the selectors at his time used to get paid like crap. Now, the selectors make as much as you would expect a person with a full-time job to get paid. This is simply insane.

For 800 taka a match? That's also excluding all the effort the player has to put into practices, practice matches, and all that? Are you kidding me? That at least tells me one thing. Whoever's up where they are right now, they're there just because of their passion for the sport. Yes players need passion, but people are more practical now to look at the bucks they'll make.

I like Sadi's solution. Are there other alternatives? How about players going into strike? Yes that'll effect our cricket. But I guess that'll help in the long run?
Old November 9, 2006, 02:31 AM

What is the role of our player's association? What they are doing? If they were united the result could be different! In a poor country like Bangladesh you can't blame the govt. all the time. It's not given. You have to earn it.
Look at India!! Before they became world champ in 1983, the players were paid even lower than ours. It changed suddenly when they got the cup. Our players should work very hard to achieve their goal, thus could change their fait.
Old November 9, 2006, 04:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Its all well and good that everyone is calling for raise in pay for cricketers in the lower divisions. I think premier league players and CCL league players earn more than a decent amount so I guess it is the first division and lower ones that we are concerned about. However as far as i know these leagues are not sponsored by anyone but BCB. Where do you plan to get the funding for paying the cricketers at those levels a high wage rate ? I think a cricket career begins when you start playing in the premier league and the rest is all preparationand proving ground. Although I would also like to see better income at those levels but we should always remember that we can never afford to or should pay a lot of money at those levels. This the same hierarchy any corporation or business house would follow. As you go higher up the corporate ladder you get paid more. Eg. obviously the clerks in an office cannnot get 10000 tk salary monthly because our economy cannot sustain that neither is it wise to pay a clerk so high taking into the account the level of the job. Similarly as a cricketer you will get raises as you go through the ranks, and once you get into the premier division you can earn a decent to more than decent earning compared to the Bangladeshi standard of living.
Old November 9, 2006, 06:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Shariar,
you missing the point. everyone talking about the payment on NCL - the premiar cricket tournament of BCB. 800 Tk /day is pathetic. BCB already succesfully destroyed the charm of Premiar league. With the exception of contracted player and few players who are in the fringe of national contract are not earning. The number may be aroud 30. If we consider 15 players for each division then 90 players are playing first class. Do you think, the rest have the incentive to improve their skill to make NCL compitetive? People would always go to the job which pay more. I heard some time ago, one meritorious young electrical engineer prefered MNC phone over his alma mater because the money he would earn as teacher in university is one fifth of the money he would get from MNC like Seimens or Grameen phone. Can you blame him. I know this is comparing apple with orange. But if a good young player has other option he would not play for the love of it in the long run. To use an economicsterm, shadow price for not investing time in cricket is much higher than investing time in cricket. If BCB could send some jerk to do nothing in trips, they could easily pay more match fee to the players. Can some one shed light on how much Shaheen and co spend in African tour. I know d BCB pay their air, hotel fare and same DA as the player.

Last edited by thebest; November 9, 2006 at 06:10 AM..
Old November 9, 2006, 09:07 AM
Cricket Legend

We are not talking about first division or lower divisions but about the main first class league of our country. If premier cricket pays a player really well, do you think the same player will be interested in playing NCL for 800 bucks? Thats just a joke. Btw, corporate cricket is turning out to be just like NCL because of our board. They failed to attract big corporate houses and most players played in league for a very little amount of money if not free. This enviornment can't be healthy for our cricket.
Old November 9, 2006, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:

Full DVD was made here and has been hosted on torrent several times.
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=10645
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.

Last edited by Nasif; November 9, 2006 at 09:40 AM..
Old November 9, 2006, 09:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

My bad. If I get this right then you guys are talking about the match fees for NCL. Well brothers in that case dont you think this is an over reaction ? Match fees are not the source of major income for cricketers. Their main source is the money they are contracted to be paid by their respective clubs. I do not know of the amounts the players are getting this time but it does not make sense that it will be lower than the past amounts. As far as I know cricketers playing first class cricket in bangladesh used to earn a hefty amount ranging from 6 lakhs to 20 lakhs a year from their respective clubs.This I read from the dailystar couple of years back during the inter club transfers taking place. Any ways correct me if I am wrong this time but if this is the case then I think we cannot expect sportsmen to be paid at par with other countries or even close given the condition of the country's standard of living and its sporting achievement in the world stage which is the main source for sponsors.
Old November 9, 2006, 09:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

One more thing, why we do need to distribute players to all divisions. Can't each division arrange their own team. By distributing players among different divisons, I think players never get the feelings of championship. It is better to handle (team selection, management, etc.) by individual divisional cricket board. In addition to money , players and management should have some motivation about the championship which was one of the reason of being attarctive and competitive premier league. As a test playing nation, we need to make our lone first class tournament attractive and competitive so that young players get attarcted to play for their own division (along with good income). By doing so, each divisonal team can manage their own team sponsors. BCB will act as governing body like ICC does. We don't need to pose Faruk and Co's nose everywhere.
Old November 9, 2006, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahriyar
As far as I know cricketers playing first class cricket in bangladesh used to earn a hefty amount ranging from 6 lakhs to 20 lakhs a year from their respective clubs.This I read from the dailystar couple of years back during the inter club transfers taking place.
Thats for Premier League in Dhaka, that where the club transfers take place. National League never had that much money in. Players play almost for free.
Old November 9, 2006, 09:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

Quote:
My bad. If I get this right then you guys are talking about the match fees for NCL. Well brothers in that case dont you think this is an over reaction ? Match fees are not the source of major income for cricketers. Their main source is the money they are contracted to be paid by their respective clubs. I do not know of the amounts the players are getting this time but it does not make sense that it will be lower than the past amounts. As far as I know cricketers playing first class cricket in bangladesh used to earn a hefty amount ranging from 6 lakhs to 20 lakhs a year from their respective clubs.This I read from the dailystar couple of years back during the inter club transfers taking place. Any ways correct me if I am wrong this time but if this is the case then I think we cannot expect sportsmen to be paid at par with other countries or even close given the condition of the country's standard of living and its sporting achievement in the world stage which is the main source for sponsors.
Clubs are not playing first class cricket. They play one day cricket. But as a test nation, we need to have good first class cricket. For that NCL was introduced which is poorly paid. Thats why peoples are trying to put more ephasize on this one and that should.
Old November 9, 2006, 10:55 AM
ODI Cricketer

players will get 800tk/day plus 500 for travelling.that means 3700tk per match.total income from one month will be 18500tk by playing 5 games (each division will play 5 games total).i cant say it is good money,but it is not that bad either.a graduate from a reputable uni in bd gets a starting salary around 15k-25k.i should say its a morderate start,and players get to earn more by playing club criket.i think having a large salary gap between top tier and the rest is good.it will drive local players to work harder for achieving success.at the beginning of any career,passion should be the driving factor,not money.it is also true that players should earn enough to take it as a profession.my point is it should not only be about money.prime example:ny yankees.some of their players make more money than the entire roster of other teams.but they havent won anything in the last 5-6 years.so dont make these young guys run after money from get go.let them learn things the hard way.if they are worthy of wealth and fame,they will have the rest of their lives to earn those.
Old November 9, 2006, 11:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Sunniath bhai

A graduate earns money the whole year while a player gets the money per game in NCL and once the season is over, money stops coming. So, there is a difference.

Shahriyar bhai,

Let me try to explain it this way. If you have two jobs and one job pays you 80k per year while the other pays you 10k, will you really be interested in the second job? However, the second job is more important from the cricket's point of view. Therefore, we are trying to find a balance here and make it reasonable.
Old November 9, 2006, 01:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
No one In BD cricket team ever got 20 lakh tk from ne clubs... the highes transfer till todate was of Ashraful, last year for about 9 lakh. And he got that after the Natwest performance. the next highest was around 7 lakh i guess..(not sure)
Old November 9, 2006, 04:17 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
No one In BD cricket team ever got 20 lakh tk from ne clubs... the highes transfer till todate was of Ashraful, last year for about 9 lakh. And he got that after the Natwest performance. the next highest was around 7 lakh i guess..(not sure)
I heard Ashrafoul's contract was for TK 12 lakh. After his initial performance, his captaincy was rovoked and they deducted some of his money (I don't know how much). Both Bashar and Rafique were contracted for 10 lakhs.
Old November 9, 2006, 06:26 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaridpurChicago
I heard Ashrafoul's contract was for TK 12 lakh. After his initial performance, his captaincy was rovoked and they deducted some of his money (I don't know how much). Both Bashar and Rafique were contracted for 10 lakhs.
Apparently, there's a gap in knowledge. Both of you sound very strong about what you've heard. Sorry to say, but words of mouth don't work in this case. If there's a report that any of you can provide, then please do. Otherwise, it's pointless.

And from what I know, there isn't a report that's publicly distributed stating such figures. So that means, we don't know who's right and who's wrong.
Old November 9, 2006, 07:21 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default there should be a market

There is a quick solution and it comes down to economics and ironically the system already exists in Bangladesh. There should be a market for the players. Just like there is for the Premier division one day league, where the teams compete for the players and the players sign yearly or multi year contracts. I'm not sure why this is not the case at the first class level as the system exists already for the one day league and in other sports in Bangladesh (i.e. football clubs). At the moment the players make good money in the premier division league because there is a market for them. If somehow the BCB can organize the same structure for the different divisions, the system will take care of this low, very low wage of 800tk per day. I dont' know what they will earn per day then, but it will surely be much higher than 800tk per day. Stupid BCB has seized to think again!
Old November 9, 2006, 08:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabir
Apparently, there's a gap in knowledge. Both of you sound very strong about what you've heard. Sorry to say, but words of mouth don't work in this case. If there's a report that any of you can provide, then please do. Otherwise, it's pointless.

And from what I know, there isn't a report that's publicly distributed stating such figures. So that means, we don't know who's right and who's wrong.
Marketing research kore bachi na... akhon Ashraful er baton er research korar time nai. But neways, u might wanna search the daily star archive for last year, u will get it.. I think the other guy is rite abt 12 lakh tk. My info was a bit corrupted.