facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old May 7, 2012, 01:49 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket
Default Zurich or Geneva ??

I'm scheduled to attend a Conference in Antwerp, Belgium this 22-24th May and have plans to go to Denmark, Germany and UK as part of my Euro Trip.
As I'd be travelling with my wife, we are thinking of squeeze in couple of days in Switzerland, most probably from 25th to 28th.

Never been to Switzerland before and it got me thinking, where should we ideally be in Switzerland for couple of days which is purely for vacation, no business.

Zurich or Geneva ??
Or other tourist cities like Lucerne ??

Mind you, we'd be travelling from Brussels, either by train or one of those budget airlines, so connectivity and availability is also a factor.

What does the BC experts say,esp those who have been there ???
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]

Old May 7, 2012, 06:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

Issh Rabz bhai...so jealous....khali tour den....
Old May 7, 2012, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

I like Geneva better because of its multi-culturalism (and by that I don't necessarily mean multiple races, but more like multiple nationalities), the vibrant city life, cleanliness and things to see. Not that Zurich is a whole lot behind, I just prefer Geneva and think it has a slight edge.

Also, if you do end up getting a car, going for a drive on the scenic route through Switzerland and Northern Italy is totally worth it. Google it up.

Switzerland is a great country and totally the kind of place that I personally would like to live in some day.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Old May 7, 2012, 08:00 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Spent 4 years of my life in Switzerland. I lived in Basel. The entire Switzerland is soo beautyful. Its so hard to pick between Zurich and Geneva. But since you have very little time in your hand I would suggest go to Geneva..It has mixture of both modern architecture and scenic view.

While you are in Geneva, I would strongly recommend a trip to the Mountain Alps. The train ride to the Alps is very pleasing..You wont regret. Enjoy your trip
Old May 7, 2012, 09:06 AM
Cricket Savant

Oh the joy of LEM!

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old May 7, 2012, 10:12 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Zurich is an overrated tourist spot.. comparing the other parts of Switzerland Zurich is like niramish .. But if you are in Zurich then you might like to visit the Rhine Falls, the largest falls in Europe !!! Also from there you can go to Luzern which is I think 2 hour train ride from Zurich..

But Switzerland trip wouldn't be complete if you didn't visit the Alps.. The best place to visit the Alps are Gridelwald, Lautherbrunen but they are little far from Zurich..So if you don't have time then you can go visit the Mt. Pitulus near Zurich..

Between Zurich and Geneva, I would pick Geneva.. Lake Geneva with the snow capped Alps at the distance makes the place even more attractive.. But to really enjoy the beauty of lake Geneva I would suggest to take a trip to some other nearby small towns like Lausanne, Vivey, Montreux..those towns are more calm and quiet and you can feel soo close to the nature !!!

While I was in Switzerland I always picked the small towns to stay as that gives you the true flavour of Switzerland
Old May 7, 2012, 01:12 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Thanks TheMan, Roman and Oronnyo for your suggestions.
So far, it seems Geneva is the winner.
Pls have your suggestions coming, specially things to do around Geneva.

Zee - ??
Old May 7, 2012, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Drive through the Alps man, do it! There are a few other places in the world that come close to that experience.

If you do go to Geneva, check out the water jet at Lake Geneva - there are plenty of places to eat and shop around the harbor there. There are cathedrals that you could go to, although there are other countries in Europe that would be better bets for that sort of stuff. If you do go to the St. Pierre cathedral, the Maison Tavel is a walk away. Then there's the Palace of Nations/UN office and they have tours if you're interested.
Old May 7, 2012, 02:38 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Thanks for the suggestion bro.
Driving sounds like the thing to do while in Switzerland, but the thought of suddenly driving on the wrong side of the road does concern me !!! Infact, everytime I've been in Europe, it continues to baffle me for initial couple of days and I keep on looking on the wrong side while crossing the road !! Habit !!! Beside Bangladesh, I've lived in Australia, which also by virtue of British colony, drives on the left side !! But I would surely give it a serious thought.

Cathedrals, will probably give a quick visit to St Peirre. But yeah, probably other European cities have more famous of them. Been to the Notre Dame of Paris, so wouldn't know how much it would fare against the Swiss ones.

I'd be very much interested about the tour in UN building, but wifey might find that boring!! Would have to convince her !!
Old May 7, 2012, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Yeah, St. Pierre is no Notre Dame or Sagrada Familia.
Old May 7, 2012, 05:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Yo, I once did a article on Rhine falls, very close proximity to Zurich. Awesome sight and sounds! Zurich is also more urban I heard, if you are really the city type, Zurich won't disappoint.

Geneva is more classy, some fantastic hotels. And is more globally known for various reasons.

That was just my two cents, some of the other user's reviews were far better and comprehensive. I thought Oronnya just about nailed it.
Old May 7, 2012, 05:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oronnya
But if you are in Zurich then you might like to visit the Rhine Falls, the largest falls in Europe !!!
No, I believe that honor goes to Dettifoss Falls in Iceland. Largest both in dimensions and water volume. Though Rhine Falls rank somewhere down that list. Could even be the 2nd biggest, not sure.

Hehe, don't mean to be a wise a$$. Just that I did a couple of articles on waterfalls a while back, so I know this stuff.
Old May 7, 2012, 05:10 PM
Cricket Savant

Law of excluded middle..

why not both rabzda?

Old May 7, 2012, 05:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
No, I believe that honor goes to Dettifoss Falls in Iceland. Largest both in dimensions and water volume. Though Rhine Falls rank somewhere down that list. Could even be the 2nd biggest, not sure.

Hehe, don't mean to be a wise a$$. Just that I did a couple of articles on waterfalls a while back, so I know this stuff.
mmmm you could be right but that's what the swiss people say that Rhine is the largest .. Dettifoss Falls is known as the most powerful waterfall .. ok let's see

Dettifoss Falls are 100 metres (330 ft) wide whereas Rhine Falls are 150 m (450 ft) wide.. actually it's the height of Dettifoss which puts it on top of the list .. Rhine is 23 m (75 ft) high and Dettifoss is 45 m (148 ft).. source: Wiki (not the best source but still won't go wrong on height and width I guess)
Old May 7, 2012, 05:24 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

this thread is turning out to be " yet another Bhugol thread" -_________-
Old May 7, 2012, 05:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
this thread is turning out to be " yet another Bhugol thread" -_________-
reply ta likhte likhte hothat amaro tai mone hochhilo je hudai kottogulo manushre birokto korbo ... sorry bhaijan ..
Old May 7, 2012, 05:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
Thanks for the suggestion bro.
Driving sounds like the thing to do while in Switzerland, but the thought of suddenly driving on the wrong side of the road does concern me !!! Infact, everytime I've been in Europe, it continues to baffle me for initial couple of days and I keep on looking on the wrong side while crossing the road !! Habit !!! Beside Bangladesh, I've lived in Australia, which also by virtue of British colony, drives on the left side !! But I would surely give it a serious thought.

Cathedrals, will probably give a quick visit to St Peirre. But yeah, probably other European cities have more famous of them. Been to the Notre Dame of Paris, so wouldn't know how much it would fare against the Swiss ones.

I'd be very much interested about the tour in UN building, but wifey might find that boring!! Would have to convince her !!
Yeah driving is always more convenient but if you don't want then the public transport option is not bad either in Switzerland.. In fact it's one of the best in Europe.. If you opt out for public transit then you can consider buying the swiss card or swiss flexi pass depending on number of rides..here is the link which might help :

http://www.eurorailways.com/products...410&OVNDID=ND1

If you can pre plan your itinerary then you would be able to cover many beautiful parts near Geneva as most of the places are within 2 to 3 hours train ride.. If you pick Geneva then UN building is a must..I would also recommend to visit Montreux or even stay there.. Chateau de Chillon- Switzerland’s best-known castle, located right on the shores of Lake Geneva in Montreux..

Chateau de Chillon-
Old May 7, 2012, 05:45 PM
Administrator

If you are in Montreux on the Lake Geneva shoreline, do not forget to sing Deep Purple's 'Smoke on the water'.
Old May 8, 2012, 12:04 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Thanks Oronnyo. You could be my travel guide in Switzerland !!!

Zee, I still havent understood your "the joy of LEM" thing !!

Boss, thanks !! Didnt know the history behind the song and now I do !!
The song made me nostalgic !!

Old May 8, 2012, 07:10 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Rabz bhai, where and when will you be in Germany?

(Can't give as much advice about Switzerland as I haven't been there since I was a child)
Old May 8, 2012, 10:13 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Geneva naa Juirich...Ahha Robiul tumi Bou-make nie jokhon ektu tour-e berutey chaicho tow ami boli dunotai ghurey aso!! + Taar sathey Kolkata-tao ghurey eso asar pothey...bou-makey Haowra Bridge-tao dekhiye eno! Tumader Shubhojatra o Mongol kamonai potho cheye roilum...
Old May 8, 2012, 11:10 PM
Cricket Savant

shetai KKT te apu-k shari kintw niye jaan, jombe moja. And by now you should Know your sarees....

Old May 14, 2012, 04:55 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
Rabz bhai, where and when will you be in Germany?

(Can't give as much advice about Switzerland as I haven't been there since I was a child)
Navo bhai, I had initially plans to go to Germany, but now have decided not to.
Too much travelling in such a short time and city hopping gets tiring.
But If I were to go, I'd have been around Hamburg-Steinkirchen-Bremen area.

You divide your time between Birmingham and Berlin ??
Old May 14, 2012, 05:07 AM

Been to Geneva when I was a kid. We drove from Frankfurt to Geneva via Basel. Beautiful scenery and road, riding in that VW golf above the clouds. We went in December, so it was snow season - went to Tasch and then a ski-train to Zermatt to the slopes beneath Mt.Matterhorn back then. Switzerland is pretty all year round they say. Also did go to the Chateau de Chilon, and was most amused by the round poop holes on top of which olden kings emptied their bowels. Good 50 feet drop for the poop straight into Lake Geneva. Would love to drive around again. Getting around by train and coach is easy, but having the freedom of your own car is something else. I'd definitely try driving the Mont Blanc route to Milan.
Old May 14, 2012, 05:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

^you could have avoided giving the poop description...