facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 8, 2005, 05:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Default WC 2011 bid: BCCI would prefer to go it alone

WC 2011 bid: BCCI would prefer to go it alone, says Mahendra

Posted online: Thursday, June 09, 2005 at 0000 hours IST

CHANDIGARH, JUNE 8: The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is eyeing to make a bid for the 2011 World Cup on its own, though a joint bid with other Asian countries has not been completely ruled out. This comes in the wake of the offer made by Pakistan Cricket Board that Pakistan, India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka should join hands to host the 2011 World Cup.

Addressing mediapersons, BCCI president Ranbir Singh Mahendra said that the board’s decision to go solo depended on the tax exemption from the government for the event. ‘‘I must say that given the standards and infrastructure for cricket in south Asia, we can also deliberate on the joint bid,’’ he said.

Indianexpress

Comment: With the full support of the government, BCB better start a diplomatic campaign not to miss out our share of the pie.

Old June 8, 2005, 05:42 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Well they have 27 international venues.So if they want they can do this alone.
Old June 8, 2005, 05:44 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

i would love to see us host the WC we sold out every match in the U-19 WC. And hope fully by then Our team will be a top 5 team and Dhaka, Slyhet and CTC will grow economically as well.
Old June 8, 2005, 05:50 PM
ODI Cricketer

Maybe one of the semis in Mirpur
Old June 8, 2005, 06:09 PM
Banned

Considering what happened in the semi-final of 1996, (India vs. Sri Lanka, Eden Gardens, Kolkata), we should get all the Eden matches.

LINK

Edited on, June 8, 2005, 11:14 PM GMT, by billah.
Old June 8, 2005, 08:09 PM
Cricket Legend

jaihok,
amar kintu mone hoi bangladesh jodi aro bhalo khelte shuru kore tahole kintu tokhon bangladesh appeal korle amar kintu bishhash je icc bangladesh a bisshokap ayojon korte shommoti janabe. karon bangladesher moton eto dorshok kintu ar kothao pabe na. tobe ar jonno obosshoi akhon thekai stadium gulor man unnoyon ebong shekhane jawar bebostha aro unnoto korte hobe. dhannabad.
Old June 8, 2005, 08:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by FaltuRidwanBhai
jaihok,
amar kintu mone hoi bangladesh jodi aro bhalo khelte shuru kore tahole kintu tokhon bangladesh appeal korle amar kintu bishhash je icc bangladesh a bisshokap ayojon korte shommoti janabe. karon bangladesher moton eto dorshok kintu ar kothao pabe na. tobe ar jonno obosshoi akhon thekai stadium gulor man unnoyon ebong shekhane jawar bebostha aro unnoto korte hobe. dhannabad.
FRB, nice to hear from you after the break. But we got to be realistic here, even PCB chairman Shahryar Khan admitted that India is the only Asian country who is capable of organizing this event on its own.

What is my understanding is that BCCI is trying to cut a deal with their government to make the event tax free. If they can do that, ICC and sponsors will, without doubt, let them have it all alone. That's why I said BCB need full support of our government and to use their full diplomatic strength to get our share of this event.

Edited on, June 9, 2005, 1:24 AM GMT, by TheWatcher.
Old June 8, 2005, 08:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

I thinkw e could co host a WC. Since South Asia has 4 countries and WC might be seperated into 4 groups then each country can hold a group.... the rest of the matches will be either shared by the countries or India alone might do it. A final at Eden Gardens would be magnificiatn.
Old June 8, 2005, 08:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by aka
I thinkw e could co host a WC. Since South Asia has 4 countries and WC might be seperated into 4 groups then each country can hold a group.... the rest of the matches will be either shared by the countries or India alone might do it. A final at Eden Gardens would be magnificiatn.
jaihok,
besh kintu akta jatayater moddhe thakbe tahole kintu khelowarra ebong shai shathe obosshoi khelowarra. amar kintu mone hoi ete kore ar karo labh na holeo plane gular bhalo labh hobe oi shomoytay.
Old June 9, 2005, 12:05 AM
Cricket Legend

By 2011, Bangladesh can bid for the World Cup if it wants to. I think having a world cup in 4 asian countries is nonsensical.
Old June 9, 2005, 12:53 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
By 2011, Bangladesh can bid for the World Cup if it wants to. I think having a world cup in 4 asian countries is nonsensical.
I thought Saber Hossain, the former BCB president said once that we'd bidding for hosting the world cup 2011. What happened to that idea? Gone with the wind? Or, like Gone with the political change?

We could at least try to host 1 or 2 group games involving Bangladesh - if we can communicate with the Indian board properly.
Old June 9, 2005, 10:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by fwullah
I thought Saber Hossain, the former BCB president said once that we'd bidding for hosting the world cup 2011. What happened to that idea? Gone with the wind? Or, like Gone with the political change?

We could at least try to host 1 or 2 group games involving Bangladesh - if we can communicate with the Indian board properly.
Bangladesh has not enough ICC approved venue to hold a full fledged WC. I agree that we hosted the U-19 WC, but for ICC WC it requires more facilities and approved stadiums.
As I have read somewhere (cann't remember) that, BCB has already expressed their intention to host couple of matches.

Edited on, June 9, 2005, 3:53 PM GMT, by Sam.
Reason: Typo
Old June 9, 2005, 11:32 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

the bulk of the matches should go to india...but perhaps 2 matches each should be played in BD, PAK, and SL.

if india decide to share, then the others can get more matches
Old June 10, 2005, 02:08 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally posted by aka
i like that idea...aka...

the group matches could be played in 4 different countries...
and india can have the rest of the tournament....
that way everyone is a winner...
bd sl and pak gets the chance to host wc
india get the big games...(rightly so)
1.6 billion (!!!!!) ppl gets to host the game
every country gets tourists...
every ones happy...
its a win win situation....

but guess it all depends on whether india wants to share it....right ???
cant blame 'em if they dont wanna...
they've gotta point to prove....
after all they're emerging as a economic powerhouse with thier booming economy...
Old July 11, 2005, 12:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Ehsan Mani speaks up in support of Subcontinental countries

'Tax exemption opens doors for India 's World Cup bid '
Quote:
The London-based Mani said that the tax exemption, to be granted henceforth to all internationally recognised sports events to be held in India, would inspire the BCCI to bid for the 2011 World Cup.

"From an Asian perspective, this is an important decision as it will allow India to join Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh in bidding for the World Cup 2011, " the ICC president maintained.

This is the first time that any cricket official, including from the BCCI, has talked about a joint World Cup bid by the four Test-playing nations of Asia, though some officials have spoken about India 's desire to host the premier tournament.

If the four countries eventually bid jointly, it will be the first time in the history of the World Cup that one edition will be held in so many Test nations. The maximum has been three when India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka hosted the World Cup in 1996.

Mani 's comments come even as New Zealand and Australia have expressed their desire to make a joint bid for the 2011 World Cup.

Mani, however, said the issue of choosing the host for 2011 tournament was not taken up at the annual ICC meetings in London last month.

"This matter is likely to come up for discussion over the next 18 months, " he disclosed.

India has hosted two World Cups, jointly with Pakistan in 1987, and then in 1996.

Also for the first time, Mani openly supported the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) request for allotting every third World Cup - or every 12 years - to the subcontinent because of the fact that four of the 10 Test-playing nations belong to the region.

"The request - not a demand - of the ACC is reasonable. After all, four of the (ICC) 10 Full Member countries are from Asia, " said the 60-year-old Pakistan-born chartered accountant.

"On the principle of rotation due weightage has to be given to this; I do not think that this will be a major issue, " said Mani.

ACC president Jagmohan Dalmiya had last year announced in Colombo that the continental body had decided to ask the ICC to allot every third World Cup to the subcontinent on the basis of its strength.
Old July 11, 2005, 08:29 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

We should let 2011 go. I hope we will prepare ourselves well for 2019 WC bid. We should bid for hosting it completely by ourself.

If WI can host 2007 world cup, then we surely can do it without India/Pakistan/Srilanka in 2019 (given we can build enough international grounds)
Old July 11, 2005, 10:45 AM
First Class Cricketer

yea 2019, no doubt we will able to arrange WC cricket. But we have to improve cticket and other facility a lot outside dhaka. Bad news is that we we have 5 star holet only in Dhaka not even in chittagong. And I don't wanna say about other bangladeshi cities.
Old July 11, 2005, 10:49 AM
First Class Cricketer

One more thing, someone can think that 14 years (for 2019) is enough time to improve the infrustructure. this is true but may not true for Bangladesh. Chittagong Divitional stadium took 21 year to build, still it is not complete. So,,, no more comment