facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old December 23, 2005, 05:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Default A healthy Forget Cricket forum

It has been interesting to track the evolution of the forget cricket section of this board and to see that it has remained a vigorous a forum allowing disparate ideas and viewpoints to flourish. On the other hand, I am saddened by the downhill path, in terms of the quality of discussion and increased bigotry that has made its presence felt. Hand in hand with inter member friction has been a noticeable increase in friction between members and moderators. In the majority of cases it is plain misunderstanding . But sadly, plain lack of respect is a common feature of all debates here.

Lets turn a new leaf and improve the section. Quality cannot be dictated by moderators or enforced and can successfully happen if ALL members take collective initiative . We all need to take the pledge. I am putting down a few notes in the hope that we may be inspired to get back onto the same path. This does not mean we drop our beliefs, thoughts or all those mere opinions that we openly air in the board.

-Instill respect. Respect other members of the board simply because they are fellow board members. If you do not even try to do this then I am afraid you will get into trouble here and be embroiled in disputes that you have partly or wholly created for yourself.

-First and foremost - read the rules. No ifs and buts. If you have the proficiency to write and read in this forum then the least we expect is that everyone read, understands and abides by the rules. But we still see that they are flouted ( knowingly or inadvertently). Still the board is generous and will remind the member politely whenever someone is out of track.

It is clear that there is a sizeable section of our members who do NOT bother to read them or think about them a just for a few minutes. This is sad because the board rules have been painstakingly written in simple English in the course of this boards existence.

Suffice to say, they are pretty logical and without ambiguities. Even then feedback process is ongoing and queries are generously entertained and responded to by moderators. Whenever, a general query arises it is discussed amongst moderators and then a reply is sent to the member.

-Courtesy, A.1: Maintaining a civil and courteous forum What does this mean?

You may think to yourself, I am a pretty courteous guy in real life, so why should I pay too much attention to this one? Well in a way, in a forum setting we have to be extra careful because our posts are more likely and prone to be misunderstood.

A.1.3: Refrain from rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.

Again, remember that this is a forum and not real life. The best policy is to cultivate posting habits that show your respect and high standard by replying to the message with points and counterpoints together with examples and supporing links. Isnt good arguments backed up with proof or logic, far more effective an antidote then a personal attack?

-Clarify Doubts between members! The "infraction" need not be obvious. Lets take an example,

"Rule A3 Do not abuse forums.

Now this is a very loose statement you may think. But look carefully. We can go on and provide examples such as Posting only or mostly in the forget Cricket section.

I can rattle off a long list of members who do that. But still we are pretty lax. This means that we give a lot of leeway to them because of purely good faith. So the member has to look at himself/herself and just plain ask, Am I posting too many new threads or new posts that is creating a burden on the forget cricket section? Am I a burden to other members?Are the number of new threads I create reasonable?

Or give a thought to this one:

B:2: Avoid replying to an offensive post, report it to the moderators instead.

It is very easy to react to a post which is offensive but for the good of the board ask yourself what is a better and more effective response?

The rules embody a very high standard and the overall intent is that this standard will be maintained and promoted by appointing moderators from the board. Especially so in Forget Cricket. Forget Cricket is a secondary forum and we will discourage the dominance of this forum over the Bangladesh cricket forum for obvious reasons.

Cricket does not exist on its own feet and as in Bangladesh cricket, it is part of a wider society and influenced by that society. Forget Cricket should thrive as a forum with healthy debates between mature and knowledgeable members that complements the discussions around cricket.

-Curtail your personal/overt agendas! There are many of you who come here from various political, religious, national etc websites. Or are actively involved with organizations in real life. Be aware that this may taint your attitude and behaviour in this board. Some of you have purely advertisement agendas; some of you have political agendas; some of you have monetary agendas. Whatever it is, an agenda is an agenda and it is not Banglacrickets agenda.

-If you want to advertise we want to be told first.
Hence rule: D: Advertising services
D.1: We do not allow people to post threads or to send private messages or emails to users here that advertise or solicit any products or services. Explicit advertising in signatures is also prohibited. If you wish to advertise a product please contact us

-Covert advertising: Think about rule E which relates to the more covert form of advertising, i.e:
"E: Posting messages or announcements on behalf of external sites"-
The best way to avoid all this is to actively converse with the mods and declare your intentions.

-Foster open channels of communication! Moderators are primarily chosen for maturity, understanding and discipline. Not by popularity or democracy. In short, they are appointed by the top. They carry a heavy burden but have also pledged not to offend or insult a user.

In return they carry the privilege to edit/delete/warn and intrude where necessary to uphold the spirit of Banglacricket and its rules. Moderator actions will inevitably create misunderstandings and grievances. We are human beings and we cannot avoid this. All we can do is, again, to iron out, thrash and clear differences .

This means having genuine and honest dialogue to smoothen the edges. If all else fails you should communicate with the main administrator so that we can discuss amongst the mod group . Dont forget our only agenda is to improve and finetune the board .

Lastly, Take the initiative! Looking at the bigger picture it comes down more of a collective effort and you can be actively part of cleaning the forum by adopting rule:

B.1: Please report to the staff and moderators any incidences of abuse of forum rules.

Instead of taking matters in your hands report and engage the mods to rectify problems and show genuine love for the board.

Edited on, December 24, 2005, 12:20 AM GMT, by oracle.

Old December 24, 2005, 02:43 AM
Street Cricketer

i'd just like 2 kno can i b banned 4 using short forms??
or as said sms type lang?
Old December 24, 2005, 03:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by cricket_zenith
No. You won't be banned for just that. But people might not take you very seriously.
Old December 24, 2005, 05:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Oracle, no offense but who has time to read such a long thread on rules? Rules, rules, rules..I'm sure it's all necessary but we could use more interesting topics, more intelligent comments and less mindless banter...
Old December 24, 2005, 08:10 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Can we have an experimental "moderation free week" in the forget cricket forum? It would be definately interesting to see how unfriendly this place can become without rules and vigilance.
Old December 25, 2005, 02:38 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: আশরাফুল

Quote:
Can we have an experimental "moderation free week" in the forget cricket forum? It would be definately interesting to see how unfriendly this place can become without rules and vigilance.
For moderation free cricket chat please visit BBC's test match special message board for one day only for few hours. I am sure you will be one of the biggest advocat of moderation after spending few hours on that forum.

BBC south asian board
Old December 25, 2005, 09:18 AM
Cricket Legend

I'm not new to moderation free forums, and according to my experience the atmosphere in these forums weren't less friendly than BC Forget Cricket where moderators desperately try to create fake friendly environment.
Old December 27, 2005, 01:35 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
I'm not new to moderation free forums, and according to my experience the atmosphere in these forums weren't less friendly than BC Forget Cricket where moderators desperately try to create fake friendly environment.
Spitfire. It's no different online than in real life. Would you go to a city, business, country, where any apebottom could assault you, call you names, make religious, racist remarks for no reason? No, we have police, judges, lawyers to deal with that small segment of society that can't or won't play by the rules. Lawlessness will just make people want to go elsewhere, after a few brutal experiences, or the small percentage will be forced to respond in kind and become a bigger percentage, neither of which is good. Internet, Pub, Organization, country, whatever grouping needs rules if they want to attract the majorities of any larger groupings. It's not fake at all. It would be like saying that having police, judges, the rules of law creates fake society.

example. What if your neighbour hates your guts, breaks into your house right now, breaks your computer, calls you a buch of names and beats up your brother. Firstly, your cricket viewing on banglacricket is over! Well, if there is no rules, he just might. But if we have rules, even though you have a bigger car, better job, or just better haircut, he won't. And he'll be "fake nice" to you. But the rest of the 19 neighbours will be "real nice" to you. They are genuine. And sometimes, forcing you to be nice, due to rules, may make you actually hear your neighbours complaints.

Anyway, rules are necesary everywhere for the benefit of all of us. I've gotten many speeding tickets, had threads removed, and been disciplined myself. But, it is a nuisance, that makes this site a pleasure for me. Anyway, gotta go pick up my baby girl, and than soon as I have a moment, I can't wait to resume the trial with Al, in the Racial Violence in Australia thread.

My two cents, for what it's worth, cheers!
Old December 27, 2005, 11:38 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Arnab has already answered your question. I would like to add is that writing in full-blown English can only help you in spellings and grammar. When you get to college (if you have not already been there) or in working world, you will find it difficult to write in proper English. Term papers, professional office emails, or in any memo, you will have to use the backspace button more too often. Or the word paper will have lots of words with red underlines. Online classes will be killer. You will be dropped from the online course after a warning for writing SMS or text style English. Its good to practice the correct English from now.

Edited on, December 27, 2005, 4:40 PM GMT, by Cats_eye.
Reason: bold
Old December 27, 2005, 12:54 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Cats_eye
Quote:
Arnab has already answered your question. I would like to add is that writing in full-blown English can only help you in spellings and grammar. When you get to college (if you have not already been there) or in working world, you will find it difficult to write in proper English. Term papers, professional office emails, or in any memo, you will have to use the backspace button more too often. Or the word paper will have lots of words with red underlines. Online classes will be killer. You will be dropped from the online course after a warning for writing SMS or text style English. Its good to practice the correct English from now.

Edited on, December 27, 2005, 4:40 PM GMT, by Cats_eye.
Reason: bold
Actually, the way I understand it, there are many people here who do not speak english very well, and/or who are young. Is this an elitist board? ...or do they want the masses to participate? I know shortening english is not necessary, but spelling and grammer? ...who cares?

Firstly, I'm a third year university student myself. I've gotten into some excellant discussions, that sometimes require lenghty explanations. Sometimes, I've been completely misunderstood, (usually actually ) and have only a few minutes to explain myself, as I type super fast, and rush off to my other endevours.

I mess up totally man! Y'all know that souther yanks come here. Even many mates from Australia! Maybe some gothic freaks. They all have a love for Bangladesh or cricket, no? I certainly don't wanna be writing, editing, and prepeareing posts like for an essay for university. I know you mean well cats_eye, but that sounds really elitist.

I mean, to me, this is like hanging out man! I don't talk in University the way I write papers, AND, I talk like cr*p in the bar where I work, and I have a pretty bad slang on the streets, growing up in an immigrant suburb, being one myself, as have most of you.

So, in sum, that sounds elitist! Sorry! just my opinion.
Old January 3, 2006, 12:23 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally posted by VladMamu
So, in sum, that sounds elitist! Sorry! just my opinion.
No offense taken Vlad!! My guess is you and I none of us are addicted to short hand text messaging / SMS style writing. Once a person does that it is hard to convert back to proper English. At least thats what my online students say. My opinion is practice makes a man perfect.
Old January 5, 2006, 07:16 PM
Test Cricketer

The only interesting topics to talk about on FC are religion, politics and their effects on social issues, science and history etc, but these topics are what make FC 'unhealthy'. Such a dilemma! Boredom or ill-health?
Old January 5, 2006, 07:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
The only interesting topics to talk about on FC are religion, politics and their effects on social issues, science and history etc
These things didn't take too much time to get boring.
Old January 6, 2006, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fab
The only interesting topics to talk about on FC are religion, politics and their effects on social issues, science and history etc, but these topics are what make FC 'unhealthy'. Such a dilemma! Boredom or ill-health?
Very true, 'unhealthy' sometime, but more or less I like FC.
Old January 6, 2006, 05:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by fab
Its not those topics that make it unhealthy. Its certain posts on those topics which make threads unhealthy. Mutual respect is another important necessity.

Cricket forums dont see unhealthy arguments because 98% of posters there are Bangladesh supporters. If you had a 60-40 mix between Bangladeshi and Kenyan supporters, most cricket threads would also go down the drain, due to some members who would be hell-bent to inflame .

The same is the situation in FC. Many topics start off well, until someone posts solely to provoke.
Old March 15, 2006, 12:08 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by oracle
It has been interesting to track the evolution of the “forget cricket”......................................... rectify problems and show genuine love for the board.
Edited on, December 24, 2005, 12:20 AM GMT, by oracle.
Could we summerise the entire rules sections into Be Civilised ??

The rules essentialy describe behaviour of Civilised People.
Old March 15, 2006, 12:13 AM
ODI Cricketer

Is it only me .... or are there more like me .. who picture a persn with a few missing teeth when reading short/sms type messages

Just joking cricket_zenith .... those messages are OK with me personally, although I would support the rest as this is a global forum with many members who are relatively weak in English.
Old June 4, 2006, 10:48 AM
Test Cricketer

IMO, one has to see both side of the arguement...

while mods nd admins do their best to keep the forum clean and all that, the forum stays free of abusive post nd ppl are on good terms.....

on the otherside, the forum becomes extremely boring....a forum without a good old heated debate is nothing but like a boring commuters newspaper i pick up everyday on the way to uni....

i got into many fights in this very forum, got attacked, nd attack back...in none of the times i take it personally....

abusive posts, ppl fighting over controversial issues like religion is more of human nature...ppl have been fighting for over several millenium with each other because every1 thinks they are right nd others are wrong....

therefore, telling ppl to be good nd all that wont have complete effect coz ppl simply will forget your rules when the leave the rule thread....speaking from my own experience...

if you have a public forum,thats the bad side of it....u can ban sum1 but then nother person will show up with same difiance....
Old June 4, 2006, 08:56 PM
Retired BC Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_man
IMO, one has to see both side of the arguement...

while mods nd admins do their best to keep the forum clean and all that, the forum stays free of abusive post nd ppl are on good terms.....

on the otherside, the forum becomes extremely boring....a forum without a good old heated debate is nothing but like a boring commuters newspaper i pick up everyday on the way to uni....

i got into many fights in this very forum, got attacked, nd attack back...in none of the times i take it personally....

abusive posts, ppl fighting over controversial issues like religion is more of human nature...ppl have been fighting for over several millenium with each other because every1 thinks they are right nd others are wrong....

therefore, telling ppl to be good nd all that wont have complete effect coz ppl simply will forget your rules when the leave the rule thread....speaking from my own experience...

if you have a public forum,thats the bad side of it....u can ban sum1 but then nother person will show up with same difiance....
I quote you here to make the record straight for tomorrow.

hmmm, from my experience with you in this forum, you did take quite a bit personally

Abusive post is more of human nature, really?

Discussion and fight are not the same, not atleast in my opinion. Even heated discussion is not fighting. And Abusive posting is not even anywhere near discussion. Seems like things got mixed up a bit there.

Anyway, discussions, heated, cool, plain or otherwise are allowed as long as it is civil. A civil post never attack, abuse or demean another poster.

Oh, almost forgot, we can continue the ban, with the same defiance too
Old June 10, 2006, 10:15 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaman
I quote you here to make the record straight for tomorrow.

hmmm, from my experience with you in this forum, you did take quite a bit personally

Abusive post is more of human nature, really?

Discussion and fight are not the same, not atleast in my opinion. Even heated discussion is not fighting. And Abusive posting is not even anywhere near discussion. Seems like things got mixed up a bit there.

Anyway, discussions, heated, cool, plain or otherwise are allowed as long as it is civil. A civil post never attack, abuse or demean another poster.

Oh, almost forgot, we can continue the ban, with the same defiance too
i wasnt defending ppl posting abusive post...u got me wrong there, or i didnt clarify myself clearly....

once a discussion becomes overheated, ppl loose temper of get fed up nd put up abusive post....which is not acceptable.....every1 is entitled to his or her views....

what i am trying to say is abusive post do occur every now nd then...but what i notice is that sometimes, mods go too far nd warn ppl over little things, things i wudnt have noticed had the mods put it up...

if u open a public forum, these little things are what u shud get used to ... coz this is internet, not a classroom where u can exercise total control if u want..

nd as for banning....well, ban ppl as much as u want....but i wonder how u r gonna ban with same defiance 4 or 5 years later when the list of member will be times 4 or 5 from now nd growing..
Old August 7, 2007, 09:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

essentially, forums need regulations so the enforcer has something to do! i run two forums myself as administrator and moderator as well as participating in numerous forums and newsgoups. in both the forums i run we simplied the rules and regulations so that members would not feel too intimidated to read them. i have posted those terms below. as it can be seen, it uses humour to convey all the required points in very simple english. there is no need for, 'i refer you to point 5a which was a conclusion from point 2c!' rule 10 below leads in my forum to a longer version of terms and conditions, which if anyone wanted to read they could read but generally, forum poster would have no interest it.

in my experience, simplifican of rules and their useage leads to comliance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 things you always wanted to do but mustn’t do in this forum!

1. Be abusive towards others and launch a personal attack.

2. Argue the toss when someone presents a different slant on things.

3. Start an argument for no apparent reason.

4. Insult the Germans, French, Ugandans, Japanese, Welsh, Siamese, lesbians, rockers, kittens or for that matter, any nationality, creed, race, religion and sexuality just because you hate them in your personal life.

5. Harp on about ripped music, stolen software and show a total disregard for intellectual property rights.

6. Write in TeXt SpEaK, ALL CAPITOLS or use too many emoticons, LOL

7. Post your mobile number, email address or contact details.

8. Subvert a thread into a personal advert.

9. Post links about other sites for advertising purposes.

10. Deliberately use the forum in such a way that contravenes the 'Terms of Use' of this site:
Old June 15, 2009, 10:55 PM
Cricket Savant

shouldnt this section be closed? (mutters....post count up!)

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old July 20, 2009, 06:40 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal Bhar
shouldnt this section be closed? (mutters....post count up!)
Yes. (GB show me the way)
Old September 9, 2009, 05:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

LMAO someone went on a rating rampage. They dint even spare this thread !!!!! Three red arrows for a rules thread. A first in BC. ZM was right. This thread should have been locked.
Old September 9, 2009, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

I see no such thing as a red arrow.