facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 20, 2015, 04:14 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default Nepal watch: 2015 WCL Division 2

Nepal have just hammered former ODI side and world cup qualifier Canada by 7 wickets. They are now 2nd at the halfway stage. If they make the final they will qualify for the WCL championship and IC cup. Nepal is finally making improvements at senior level. Good to see a country with the fan base do well. Hope they surpass pointless sides like UAE and HK.

#OneTeam1Dream

Old January 20, 2015, 04:15 PM
Cricket Savant

I am shivering
Old January 20, 2015, 04:21 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

I've been following this tournament. Crucial tournament as the top 2 sides will play in the ICC Intercontinental Cup and play the likes of Ireland, Afghanistan and Scotland.

Nepal's got a good shot in advancing and it's great to see a fellow Asian side rising. They have a passionate fan base which is key. Hope they continue to perform.

Watch out for Namibia too. They have their youth teams play SA's youth teams and play SA's domestic teams. So they have a good amount of support from SA.

Kenya and Uganda are also teams that can challenge for the top 2 spots. Can't count them out of the race either.
Old January 20, 2015, 04:34 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

As long as they stay away from us, I am happy
Old January 20, 2015, 06:06 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Porterfield,Mushy,Rogers

You made this because of my thread on PP didnt you?? :P

I honestly dont rate Nepal too much though. Batting is very reliant on Khadka, not to mention they lost to Uganda a couple days back.Still, good to see them do well.

Namibia are one of my favourite teams though. An excellent Associate outfit fully home grown and SA doing a top job helping them. They need to jump to professional level soon though, as their best players are leaving to play domestic cricket elsewhere (one left only last week sadly)

Its a sign of how crap a job the ICC are doing that 3 of the 4 WC Associates from 2011 are in serious relegation trouble, makes our WC loss to Tom Cooper and other fake Dutchmen all the more annoying tbh
Old January 20, 2015, 06:07 PM
ODI Cricketer

And how many times do I have to point out, a lot of HK's team played underage for them IIRC, so I dont get the hate they receive.
Old January 20, 2015, 06:18 PM
Cricket Sage

Donnie, did not see your PP thread so this was all my idea. I'll check that thread out tho.

I'm not saying Nepal are ready even for ODI status. I mean we have test status and still lose to Scotland and HK. But I would like to see Nepal get ODI status in the next 5 years and make real progress. They have never gone past WCL D3 before and could now make it to D1.

I dislike HK/UAE because they don't have any Chinese/Arab players. Ireland, Afg, Nepal, PNG at least have native players. A USA team full of desis and some Jamaicans isn't really USA...and we are an immigrant country.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 20, 2015, 06:26 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Donnie, did not see your PP thread so this was all my idea. I'll check that thread out tho.

I'm not saying Nepal are ready even for ODI status. I mean we have test status and still lose to Scotland and HK. But I would like to see Nepal get ODI status in the next 5 years and make real progress. They have never gone past WCL D3 before and could now make it to D1.

I dislike HK/UAE because they don't have any Chinese/Arab players. Ireland, Afg, Nepal, PNG at least have native players. A USA team full of desis and some Jamaicans isn't really USA...and we are an immigrant country.
First bit was tongue in cheek :P

I read a very long discussion about the whole ex pat sutuation and one of the points raised was, that a team represents the society it comes from correct? In the UAE's case like 80 percent of the population are expats arent they? So naturally enough the cricket team will resemble that.

In HK's case I think the English based guys like Chapman moved there since they were kids and even the Pakistani based players have represented them at u 19 level I think, so I dont think its fair to call them a waste.

Btw, is MMHS on this forum??
Old January 20, 2015, 06:27 PM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

Good thread. I've been following WCL Div 2 too. They almost made a hash of beating the Dutch in their previous match. I just hope losing to Uganda won't come back to haunt them.

Namibia thrashing Netherlands by 188 runs means Nepal could grab 2nd spot so long as they don't lose too badly v Namibia.
Old January 20, 2015, 09:16 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donal C
First bit was tongue in cheek :P

I read a very long discussion about the whole ex pat sutuation and one of the points raised was, that a team represents the society it comes from correct? In the UAE's case like 80 percent of the population are expats arent they? So naturally enough the cricket team will resemble that.

In HK's case I think the English based guys like Chapman moved there since they were kids and even the Pakistani based players have represented them at u 19 level I think, so I dont think its fair to call them a waste.

Btw, is MMHS on this forum??
BD fan is. And I'm shutdown corner.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 21, 2015, 07:58 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
BD fan is. And I'm shutdown corner.
I figured that was you, thought you could have been executioner either.

MMHS knows literally everything about cricket though, I mean everything. Surprised he isnt here.

Anyway, Nepal are 50/2 chasing Namibias 141 and a win will virtually guarantee them a WCL spot as well as an Intercontinental Cup place.

Nearly all the sides in Division 1 will be largely homegrown at this rate.

Ireland,Scotland,Afghanistan,Nepal,Namibia,PNG are all fully local. HK are mostly too I think.

Only ex pat reliant side left is the UAE who could decline really fast when Khurram Khan leaves with the other seniors
Old January 21, 2015, 10:10 AM
Cricket Sage

Does division 1 even exist anymore or is it just WCL Championship. Looks like Nepal will get their taste of top level FC cricket from this year. They have a largely young side too...so this group can grow.

The World Cup really should be expanded to 12 teams so that 2 associates are guaranteed exposure. I'm hopeful that if Ireland and AFG beat a couple top 8 sides, ICC can be forced to change their mind. This is the best chance too. WI are imploding a la Zimbabwe, Pakistan are always beatable and are super low on form and match practice at the moment. Would be terrific if Ireland beat both of them! Should already be favored against ZIM...you've got their number.

Tougher for AFG, hope they don't beat us...but would be awesome if they beat England who have a habit of losing to associates and are also in poor form. If they can use their pace to intimidate the Lankans, might have a chance there as well.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 21, 2015, 11:19 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Does division 1 even exist anymore or is it just WCL Championship. Looks like Nepal will get their taste of top level FC cricket from this year. They have a largely young side too...so this group can grow.

The World Cup really should be expanded to 12 teams so that 2 associates are guaranteed exposure. I'm hopeful that if Ireland and AFG beat a couple top 8 sides, ICC can be forced to change their mind. This is the best chance too. WI are imploding a la Zimbabwe, Pakistan are always beatable and are super low on form and match practice at the moment. Would be terrific if Ireland beat both of them! Should already be favored against ZIM...you've got their number.

Tougher for AFG, hope they don't beat us...but would be awesome if they beat England who have a habit of losing to associates and are also in poor form. If they can use their pace to intimidate the Lankans, might have a chance there as well.
All we can do is play our best. Murtagh missing out is such a huge blow though

World Cricket League is basically division 1. Other teams wont get to play proper cricket again for like 3 years now until Division 1 finishes.
Old January 21, 2015, 12:06 PM
Cricket Guru

So Kenya and Uganda are officially out. Sad to see besides Namibia that the African sides continue to disappoint. Have to blame mismanagement for these African sides.

On the other hand, well done to Nepal. They should be able to beat Kenya in the last match and advance to the Intercontinental Cup.
Old January 21, 2015, 05:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Congrats to nepal through unless by some miracle.
Really asia afghanistan,hong kong,uae,noew nepal,and malaysia and singapore in division 3 asia their is real growth.
Scotland,ireland and holland who you never can underestimate remains the only other growthpoint,altho denmark declined,italy has risen further.
The other regions are failures,kenya will go down to division 3 looks like their finished,rip.
Happy with PNG australia are going to play them look forward to that game.
Old January 22, 2015, 10:28 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockley
Happy with PNG australia are going to play them look forward to that game.

Upset anyone?
Old January 22, 2015, 02:44 PM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

Well done Nepal. They've surprised a few, inluding me, by beating both Netherlands and Namibia. Hopefully they can progress into the next round. The emergence of Nepal can only be good for the game; they easily have the biggest fanbase in WCL Div 2. Hope to see a 6 team Asia Cup tournament feat Afghans and Nepal and big 4.
Old January 23, 2015, 09:46 AM
Cricket Guru

Nepal has missed out on promotion by losing to Kenya. Netherlands ended up advancing by getting Uganda out for 79 and then getting the target in 6.3 overs. Sorry to bring this up Donal C but it's a whole lot like how they knocked Ireland out.

So the 2 getting promoted are Namibia and Netherlands. Congrats to both of the sides. They were the favorites and they managed to keep it that way. As for Nepal, tough luck for them as they have to wait another 3 years before they can play in the Intercontinental Cup.
Old January 23, 2015, 10:42 AM
Cricket Sage

What??? Nepal missed out? That's crap. Stupid Netherlands always pulling last minute blinders. They're an annoying team.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 23, 2015, 12:34 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
What??? Nepal missed out? That's crap. Stupid Netherlands always pulling last minute blinders. They're an annoying team.
Netherlands has always been a dangerous team. They beat us in an ODI and T20I, beat Ireland chasing a target in just about 12 overs and beat England twice. It would've been nice if Nepal had went but the best 2 teams are going up I have to admit. Still not a bad tournament for Nepal. They have a great shot next time around.
Old January 23, 2015, 04:48 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
Netherlands has always been a dangerous team. They beat us in an ODI and T20I, beat Ireland chasing a target in just about 12 overs and beat England twice. It would've been nice if Nepal had went but the best 2 teams are going up I have to admit. Still not a bad tournament for Nepal. They have a great shot next time around.

Its a disaster for Nepal considering the circumstances.

Regular cricket and tours of the globe would have greatly improved a young side like Nepal. Instead they get no cricket for ages and will stay in Asian conditions until the 2016 World t20 qualifier in Ireland/Scotland.

Considering the simple task they had they should be kicking themselves. Fair dues to Kenya though. Chased 260 versus the Dutch in 30 overs in 2014 and did something similar today. Perform when they have their backs to the wall.

I agree with al furqaan though. Holland needed to fail to go up so they would be forced into playing a Dutch team. Now they'll continue to be a mish mash of nationalities for another few years.

Such a sad story for Canada though. Win versus Bangladesh and fastest hundred in 2003. Now they could die off totally. To think they bundled out Pakistan for 180 at a WC only 4 years ago....

Nepal have blown it though and this could hold them back for years. Just too reliant on Khadka to show up
Old January 23, 2015, 05:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Nepal blew it.
Holland played without most their imports.justice was done,but it was close.
Feel bad for nepal but they choked.
Kenya tho a case of saving their arse from obliteration.
Canada refuses to look at imports,they have lost because of this,really surprised by kenyas' effort.
Nepal can still get tours,as to the asia cup hong kong in front of them,and you are not likely to see hong kong play the asia cup,this is india you know.
India would be keen to get afghanistan test status over ireland,because the votes go that way,Thats the indian business model,it sucks.
Old January 24, 2015, 10:37 AM
ODI Cricketer

Total choke by Nepal again today in the 3rd place play off. Chasing 208 they were 141-3, eventually falling to 193 all out.

Holland hammer Namibia in the first place play off, whereas Bangladesh's nemesis of 2003, Canada, fell to an awful 8 wicket hammering to Uganda in the fifth place play off.

Nepal went from 1st to 4th in two days, Kenya went from last to 3rd, and Holland from 5th to 1st!
Old January 24, 2015, 12:29 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Its a disaster for Nepal considering the circumstances.

Regular cricket and tours of the globe would have greatly improved a young side like Nepal. Instead they get no cricket for ages and will stay in Asian conditions until the 2016 World t20 qualifier in Ireland/Scotland.

Considering the simple task they had they should be kicking themselves. Fair dues to Kenya though. Chased 260 versus the Dutch in 30 overs in 2014 and did something similar today. Perform when they have their backs to the wall.

I agree with al furqaan though. Holland needed to fail to go up so they would be forced into playing a Dutch team. Now they'll continue to be a mish mash of nationalities for another few years.

Such a sad story for Canada though. Win versus Bangladesh and fastest hundred in 2003. Now they could die off totally. To think they bundled out Pakistan for 180 at a WC only 4 years ago....

Nepal have blown it though and this could hold them back for years. Just too reliant on Khadka to show up
Although Kenya have disappointed as a cricket nation, at the associate level they're a good team.

It might not be a bad thing that Nepal missed out. It might be best for them to struggle their way up because even if they made it to Intercontinental Cup, they'd have a hard time. Just couldn't imagine them against the likes of Ireland and Afghanistan
Old January 24, 2015, 11:10 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Total choke by Nepal again today in the 3rd place play off. Chasing 208 they were 141-3, eventually falling to 193 all out.

Holland hammer Namibia in the first place play off, whereas Bangladesh's nemesis of 2003, Canada, fell to an awful 8 wicket hammering to Uganda in the fifth place play off.

Nepal went from 1st to 4th in two days, Kenya went from last to 3rd, and Holland from 5th to 1st!
Disappointing. BD suffered the same. We languished at associate level for 20 years came close a few times before making it. Would like to see Ireland, Afghanistan, and Nepal get tests status in my lifetime...ideally by 2030! Would also like to see ZIM retain all their talent and not be such a eff up of a team. Imagine a world with 13 competetive test sides.

Nepal will make it to D1 next time. They have a very young side. Their 18 yo seamer Sompal Kami hit 85 mph according to CI Hawkeye in the Wt20 last year.

#OneTeam1Dream