facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 15, 2003, 05:45 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default A chance for Shahriar Hossain Bidyut to return

Today's different newspapers have said that Shahriar Hossain Bidyut, Tareq Aziz and Alamgir Kabir's fitness tests are to be done today along with the national cricketers by Dave Whatmore.

So. there is a chance for Shahriar Hossain to get back into the national team. He is a good One Day opener!

Old November 15, 2003, 06:11 PM
BanglaCricket Multimedia

I am looking forward to seeing Bidyut making a come back... I started a discussion abt him when I joined this forum... it will be great if he comes back to make a difference...
Old November 16, 2003, 09:19 AM
Test Cricketer

Default agree he iz a good opener

I hope he gets the chance and play a dependable innings again in this openning order batting crisis.
Old November 16, 2003, 09:34 PM
First BC Member

Guys, I don't think Shahriar Hossain was called or attended the fitness camp yesterday. As I didn't see his name anywhere on the papers today. Have anyone seen his name in any of the papers?
Old November 17, 2003, 12:37 PM
Banned

I don't think we need Shahriar, we have plenty of talents younger and faster. These other guys need to apply themselves better. Re-introduction of Shahriar and such will only add more unknown factors to the process.
Old November 17, 2003, 02:00 PM
BanglaCricket Multimedia

Explain ''unknown factors''
Old November 18, 2003, 04:28 AM
Banned

Factors such as:

1. Fitness. Is he fit for this new-look team? The fitness level has gone up in the last year.
2. Will he perform at the international level after being out for so long?
3. How will he get along with these new, younger players? His "boro bhai"s are not there any more.
4. The synergy issue: what is he bringing to the mix that we already don't have? Anything new or dramatically better? or, is it the same mediocre performance like everyone else? If he's got nothing better to offer, we are better off staying with the present setup.
5. That haircut, it's gotta go.

Just joking on the last one, but I hope I am making a point here. The sudden, rapid and repeated changes to a national side can't be good. With our track record, we need to stick with a steady setup & try to improve that set up with better training. You see, no one player (except may be Basher), stands out as an outperformer in our team. Statistically, they all look pretty bad.
Old November 18, 2003, 07:57 AM
First BC Member

Default I disagree with some points

I am not sure whether I should support Shahriar Hossain or not, I am going through the old emotional feelings for him - he used to be a steady opener.

1. Fitness:- Even with the fittest players in our side, our players are not a team that can win a match with their fielding. In addition, even with all those great fielding, there were lots of catch drops, chances missed. So even if the ground fielding had improved vastly, fielding should not be a very big criteria for the inclusion, or rather not getting somebody new into the team.

2. His performance was not pretty good, with a batting average of only just over 20, you cannot call a player to be a good one, but by Bangladeshi standards, its enough, provided that he can maintain the same standard.

I want to agree with you on this point. Some of the reasons for my intention to agree with you are:- Shahriar has always played better against weaker oppositions like Kenya, Zimbabwe. His other ODI best score is 39 - against Pakistan in the famous victory. If it was not for his attacking approach in that match, we would not have got such a big opening partnership and we might not have won that match. What I mean is, that although he was scared of the big names, but he was just getting there. But it all depends on how well he can adapt to the International cricket now.

However, I can tell you why I would not want to agree with you on this same point. we have tried many players in the ODI cricket - and only one player has come off - Hannan Sarkar. We've tried with Mohammad Ashraful, Javed Omar, Moniruzzaman and Nafees Iqbal in this series, Habibul Bashar, before and during the World Cup it was Al Shahriar, Ehsanul Haque, Anwar Hossain (wk). So you could say that we're becoming desparate on finding the right player for this positon to partner Hannan Sarkar.

Another reason for which I want to agree with you on this point is his ability to face short balls. I am not yet sure of how he will be able to cope with short balls. There are very few players who can, or who knows to cope with the short balls, and that used to be Mohammad Ashraful, but he has his own problems.

As an example of Shahriar's fear for short balls, remember how many times he used to be 'retired hurt' when he faced a hostile pace attack?

But having said that, we don't know that if he has improved on his short-comings, and knowing all these weaknesses of his, I am still willing to give him a few chances.

I only wish that Mehrab Hossain had got these chances to prepare for the International stage by playing in the 'A' teams first, like Shahriar Hossain is now getting the chance.

3. As far as I can remember, the boro bhais (Akram / Aminul / Minhaz) did not contribute to Shahriar Hossain's attitude or to his batting much. So I don't see a problem there. I also don't think that Shahriar Hossain was guided.

Come to think of it, if all our youngsters were guided when there were so many so called boro bhais, then Bangladesh as a team could have played much better than they have team-wise. But unfortunately, they weren't.

4. The present setup is not changing much with the exclusion of either Moniruzzaman or Nafees Iqbal and the inclusion of Shahriar Hossain. If Shahriar Hossain can somehow manage to adapt to International cricket, then we will have two solid openers.

There's nothing new or dramatically better than the current team in Shahriar Hossain, but if he can go back to his old form, then we will have 6 steady players in our batting line up of Hannan - Bidyut, Sumon, Rajin, Mushfique and Alok. And at the moment, we really need a stable batting line up.

================================

All the above things are said with some very high hopes for getting our old Shahriar Hossain. But there is a strong possibility that he might fail even in the Pakistan tour for the 'A' team. I just hope that we know before going into a series that this player and that player will be playing in this series and in the coming series at this position or in that position. That's all we want, the individual player(s) really doesn't matter.
Old November 18, 2003, 08:22 AM
Cricket Legend

I thought he was now an umpire (or is that another shahriar hossain?)
Old November 18, 2003, 11:30 AM
First BC Member

Shahriar Hossain an umpire? I never knew that, it could be another name that you're confused with.

I am talking about Shahriar Hossain, whose nickname is Bidyut, who is same age as Javed Omar Belim Golla / Khaled Mashud Pilot is, who was an opener in the World Cup 1999 along-side Mehrab Hossain.
Old November 18, 2003, 01:39 PM
BanglaCricket Multimedia

Thats quite an Intro for the opener FW...

I read thru the points u guys made in the previous posts...

To billah: your points I guess are valid when its a case that BD has 100s and 100s of players lined up for the national team... unfortunately its not the case... We have to make do with players at hand... Even if that means calling back oldies... If he plays good he is worth taking chances for... and bidyut performed well in the last season's domestic league... I was quite sad that he wasnt included in the Pak and/or Eng series... but people showed some good points here and I said ok, but had my fingers crossed for him... he was a stable opener... and maybe given another chance he might prove his worth... we did so many experiments maybe another one with him wont hurt... we cant possibly be any worse... (yes FW I know u dont agree with me but I know that there is no way we can get worse ) however I wud like to back the inclusion of Bidyut as an opener... partnering with Hannan... not Javed... javed needs sometime out of the opening slot... I wud actually think Javed wud be best as a middle order batsman... for both Tests and ODIs.... he plays good against normal bowlers...

Coming back to Bidyut... It wasnt bad form that made him disappear from BD cricket as someone from this board earlier told me the ''inside story''.... so I wud say go for him...

Khaled Mahmud shud be dropped... MUST BE DROPPED... Javed shud come in his place and Bidyut shud take Javed's place and meanwhile we shud keep making sure we have new players getting made in the background... and the whole damn National team needs lesson in playing short fast balls... Ghaare dhore fast ball and short ball khela shikhano dorkar...

Any thoughts anyone? I wud sure like to hear some....