facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 24, 2006, 07:11 PM
First Class Cricketer

I mean no disrespect but for example if you hear Shahriar Nafees and Ashraful talk you can clearly see the differences in their mentality/attitude. Shahriar sounds like an intelligent person whereas Ashraful does not seem like he has the ability to think intellectually. He has already had 6 years to learn from his mistakes. I also think that he has let fame get into his head.

Old April 24, 2006, 08:22 PM

Firstly, this is just an opinion and I just have to get this out of the way first: Yes, Ashraful lacks the intellectualism that SN might possess as a BBA student at DU. And this reflects in his attitude and mentality when he speaks of playing shots, dismissals etc. This is all quite irrelevant.

However, it translates onto the field in terms of cricketing intelligence. Cricket it one game where if you listen to the great players, you can tell that regardless of them lacking a degree, they had to be intelligent about how to play their game. Case in point: Wasim Akram tended to avoid the scientific explanations of reverse swing, but instead spoke of how Waqar and him would practice very hard and understanding what the ball could do. At the highest level of cricket, everyone has to use their head! Even Enam impressed me when Wasim akram asked him abt the delivery that got Clarke out. That was Intelligence at play too. Now, not to discount Ashraful's intelligence, he does play cheekily very well on his day, but he is downright inconsistent in performing in his innings'!...and as someone posted, He had 6 years to learn, and unfortunately he's failing his tests more often than not!

Regarding his position: I'd gamble with retaining him against Aus, with the *hope* that he'll pull off an "Eider Chand" again. And I fully support his inclusion in our team for the next year seeing how we arent exactly playing the most competitive teams before the World Cup. Depending on that, a bold decision has to be made about World Cup.

Alternatively he could just be relegated to A team Captaincy and League Captaincy where he has to Shoulder responsibility. Otherwise he really wont have any growth! Thats the real thing, he needs to Mature.
Old April 24, 2006, 10:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by sireza
Unfortunately not satisfied with your reply dear.
If the student is brilliant then he only need correct guidance from his teacher to excel.We all know Ash is a vary good student but then why his teacher is not guiding him properly.If we think Ash is no more a good student and can not achieve desired result then we should not ask him to go for the Exam,rather study in the same class and come back next year for the final Exam.BTW his class room is again domestic cricket
dear sir ashraful is a good student but he is the type who is very lazy nd wont revise his academics b4 the exam.... as a result he does bad in the exams.... however his teacher teaches him everything nd he knows everything as well .... now it is upto him to revise b4 the exam to get good results.....

in a more literal way.... whatmore is doing what he can .... it is ashraful who has to perform not whatmore ..... if whatmore wasnt doing his job properly ashraful wud not be giving us match winning knocks like the hundred in cardiff.... there is only so much a coach can do ...i guess i m just repeating myself....
Old April 24, 2006, 11:01 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful

Quote:
Originally Posted by deshpremi
We all have a love hate relationship with Ash as when he comes up with a good innings, we cant get enough of him and no praise is too much for him, but when he gets out to playing plain, irresponsible and stupid shots, we all want to kick his little a$$ and that includes myself.

Now, he appears to me to be under IMMENSE PRESSURE as when he was batting yesterday, the look in his eyes showed how scared he was.
Obviously the fact that he gets out to playing idiotic shots more often than not, is his own fault, but another factor also needs to be taken into account.

He is single handedly carrying on his shoulders, the hopes and expectations of an entire nation.

He is well aware of this fact that every time he is out in the middle, more than 140 million people, including all the well wishers of Bd Cricket from other nations hold their breath for poor Ashraful to conjure up a MIRACLE.

Under such pressure and microscopic scrutiny, the poor little soul is absolutely petrified of failure and this as a direct result is causing his downfall.

Now, the only solution I see for Ashraful is to lift this burden of expectations from his shoulders and give him a license to thrill.

A role similar to that of Shahid Afridi or Virender Sewag.

As I have said on many many ocassions before, he should always come in as an opener in an ODI and play his natural aggressive way when the restrictions are in place and the chances are that he will get us in to a very very good position by scoring runs very quickly.

Of course, the other possibility is that he will get out playing too many shots as well, but then whats the point of him prodding and pushing and then getting out with a very low score anyway.

I know that he has been tried as an opener before and failed, but lets just persevere with him a little longer.
I ONE-HUNDRED PERCENT AGREE WITH EVRY SINGLE WORD YOU SAID....Ashraful shoul be allowed to play his natural game rather than go in nervous as hell and try and impress with 'artificial shots'....I beileve we shoul find a new icon for Bangladesh cricket so that our best batsmen (Ash) doesent have so much pressure on him to impress....
Old April 24, 2006, 11:01 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful

Quote:
Originally Posted by deshpremi
We all have a love hate relationship with Ash as when he comes up with a good innings, we cant get enough of him and no praise is too much for him, but when he gets out to playing plain, irresponsible and stupid shots, we all want to kick his little a$$ and that includes myself.

Now, he appears to me to be under IMMENSE PRESSURE as when he was batting yesterday, the look in his eyes showed how scared he was.
Obviously the fact that he gets out to playing idiotic shots more often than not, is his own fault, but another factor also needs to be taken into account.

He is single handedly carrying on his shoulders, the hopes and expectations of an entire nation.

He is well aware of this fact that every time he is out in the middle, more than 140 million people, including all the well wishers of Bd Cricket from other nations hold their breath for poor Ashraful to conjure up a MIRACLE.

Under such pressure and microscopic scrutiny, the poor little soul is absolutely petrified of failure and this as a direct result is causing his downfall.

Now, the only solution I see for Ashraful is to lift this burden of expectations from his shoulders and give him a license to thrill.

A role similar to that of Shahid Afridi or Virender Sewag.

As I have said on many many ocassions before, he should always come in as an opener in an ODI and play his natural aggressive way when the restrictions are in place and the chances are that he will get us in to a very very good position by scoring runs very quickly.

Of course, the other possibility is that he will get out playing too many shots as well, but then whats the point of him prodding and pushing and then getting out with a very low score anyway.

I know that he has been tried as an opener before and failed, but lets just persevere with him a little longer.
I ONE-HUNDRED PERCENT AGREE WITH EVRY SINGLE WORD YOU SAID....Ashraful shoul be allowed to play his natural game rather than go in nervous as hell and try and impress with 'artificial shots'....I beileve we shoul find a new icon for Bangladesh cricket so that our best batsmen (Ash) doesent have so much pressure on him to impress....