facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 12, 2012, 11:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbuDarda
First four day game's date is not showing,please add the date.

16 Sep 2012 Bangladesh Cricket Board Academy v Sagicor High Performance Centre Bir Shrestha Shahid Flight Lieutenant Motiur Rahman Stadium, Khulna

Old September 12, 2012, 11:59 AM
Administrator

The first post has the schedule.
Old September 12, 2012, 11:38 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
yes you are correct when you say this, WI can put together quite a good first XI but their bench players are horrible, i think they have a couple of decent pacers coming through but overall their bench strength is shocking.
Hi bang fans, looking at this statement i can't really agree with it to be honest, the HPC squad are effectively a collection of some of the best youngsters around the region, most have already established themselves in all formats for their countries but the academy offers them extra training and more matches to hone their skills, plus it's run by coaches from English county teams from the likes of Middlesex who worked with Steven Finn, Oign Morgan to name a few,

The group on this tour are the second bunch, the first group was a success and developed the likes of Shannon Gabriel (who just got four wickets vs England in his first test), Kieran Powell (just scored a ton against NZ) and Devon Thomas (who has also played for the WI senior team against Bang at the last world cup),

Many of the other youngsters from that first HPC group are in the A-team that just took India-A apart recently, an India team including senior internationals like Rohit Sharma, Pujara, Tiwary, Saha, Mukund, Rahane and Rahul Sharma amoungst others , HERE is one of the scorecards,

In all honesty i think this second group who'll be playing in this tour are very talented, the Captain is an alrounder named Carlos Brathwaite who has very good stats with both bat and ball and has been hailed as someone who could finally get Sammy out of the senior team, he averages 21 with the ball and 27 with the bat in 13 first class matches, one of those knocks was an 81 not out vs England lions, he also has 50s vs Bang-A already,

Another name to look out for is the Jamaican Sheldon Cotterrell who is a VERY FAST left-arm pacer who a lot of people in the caribbean are excited about, he can swing the ball and is quite aggressive so it will be interesting to see how he does, in the batting department there is Kyle Hope who is very stylish, Keddy Lesporis who is a grinder and has a habit of getting 50s, Jermaine Blackwood who is just getting his big break now after impressing for the Jamaica senior team in the limited games he's played for them and Andre Fletcher who already has an A-team ton vs India under his belt and has played for the WI one day and t20 senior teams already,

There are some other decent pacers too like Jason Dawes who looks a little like Kemar Roach but still a little raw, and Miguel Cummins who is a abit of a mystery right now because he hasn't played a lot for Barbados yet, the left-arm spinner Veerasammy Permaul who captained the A-team to victory against India has been drafted in late to replace opening batsman Johnson Charles who is with the t20 world cup squad, so he'll provide the spin with a young Trinidad leggy named Yannic Cariah, who got 13 wickets for Trinidad last year in his debut season aged just 19,

All in all i expect it to be a tough series and may the best team win, these games can only benefit both Bang and WI in the long term, i'm confident that our boys can do well but i do still remember the tough time your A-team gave our lads last year in the caribbean, we just about won the four day series when a then unknown Sunil Narine got us over the line by hitting a 40 not out,

Hopefully you guys will be able to give regular updates because i've been told that the west indies Twitter won't be doing live updates i'm afraid!! .
Old September 13, 2012, 12:04 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Welcome to the board Windiefan! Thanks for your invaluable little report on your boys. We hope it will be a good tour for all parties!

Just as an FYI...Gowza is actually not a Bangladeshi...he's an Aussie who just happens to know every domestic player from all the Test nations, lol!

#OneTeam1Dream
Old September 13, 2012, 04:02 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shiv Chanderpaul

Here's the squad:

Sagicor HPC Squad 2012

Marlon Barclay – Trinidad & Tobago (LHB)

Jermaine Blackwood – Jamaica (RHB/Right Arm Off Spin)

Carlos Brathwaite – Barbados (RHB/Right Arm Fast Medium)

Yannic Cariah – Trinidad & Tobago (RHB/Right Arm Leg Spin)

Johnson Charles – St Lucia (RHB/WKT)

Sheldon Cotterell – Jamaica (RHB/Left Arm Fast)

Miguel Cummins – Barbados (LHB/Right Arm Fast)

Jason Dawes – Jamaica (RHB/Right Arm Fast)

Andre Fletcher – Grenada (RHB/WKT)

Dawnley Grant – St Vincent (RHB/Right Arm Fast)

Trevon Griffith – Guyana (LHB)

Kyle Hope – Barbados (RHB/Right Arm Off Spin)

Jahmar Hamilton – Anguilla (RHB/WKT)

Keddy Lesporis – St Lucia (RHB/Right Arm Off Spin)

Kjorn Ottley – Trinidad & Tobago (LHB/Left Arm Chinaman)

Jomel Warrican – Barbados (LHB/Left Arm Orthodox Spin)

Fletcher and Carlos have been in and out of the Windies limited overs teams, the former due to issues of form, and the latter due to injury. I'm not sold on Johnson Charles and Keddy Lesporis, whom I don't think are good enough, but were only selected because they come from the Windward Islands, the home region of the current WICB administration.

The rest of the squad have only just started their FC careers, so it's early days where they are concerned. This tour should separate the sheep from the goats. Cotterell has made a decent start in the winning Jamaica team, but Blackwood and Dawes are just on the fringes of that strong side. Barclay has made a good start at Trinidad, but Ottley and Cariah are in and out of that side. Cummings, Hope and Warrican are yet to make an impact for Barbados, and the same can be said for Griffith at Guyana.

As for Hamilton, the jury's still out on him as a keeper/batsman....
Old September 13, 2012, 04:22 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindieFan
Hi bang fans, looking at this statement i can't really agree with it to be honest, the HPC squad are effectively a collection of some of the best youngsters around the region, most have already established themselves in all formats for their countries but the academy offers them extra training and more matches to hone their skills, plus it's run by coaches from English county teams from the likes of Middlesex who worked with Steven Finn, Oign Morgan to name a few,

The group on this tour are the second bunch, the first group was a success and developed the likes of Shannon Gabriel (who just got four wickets vs England in his first test), Kieran Powell (just scored a ton against NZ) and Devon Thomas (who has also played for the WI senior team against Bang at the last world cup),

Many of the other youngsters from that first HPC group are in the A-team that just took India-A apart recently, an India team including senior internationals like Rohit Sharma, Pujara, Tiwary, Saha, Mukund, Rahane and Rahul Sharma amoungst others , HERE is one of the scorecards,

In all honesty i think this second group who'll be playing in this tour are very talented, the Captain is an alrounder named Carlos Brathwaite who has very good stats with both bat and ball and has been hailed as someone who could finally get Sammy out of the senior team, he averages 21 with the ball and 27 with the bat in 13 first class matches, one of those knocks was an 81 not out vs England lions, he also has 50s vs Bang-A already,

Another name to look out for is the Jamaican Sheldon Cotterrell who is a VERY FAST left-arm pacer who a lot of people in the caribbean are excited about, he can swing the ball and is quite aggressive so it will be interesting to see how he does, in the batting department there is Kyle Hope who is very stylish, Keddy Lesporis who is a grinder and has a habit of getting 50s, Jermaine Blackwood who is just getting his big break now after impressing for the Jamaica senior team in the limited games he's played for them and Andre Fletcher who already has an A-team ton vs India under his belt and has played for the WI one day and t20 senior teams already,

There are some other decent pacers too like Jason Dawes who looks a little like Kemar Roach but still a little raw, and Miguel Cummins who is a abit of a mystery right now because he hasn't played a lot for Barbados yet, the left-arm spinner Veerasammy Permaul who captained the A-team to victory against India has been drafted in late to replace opening batsman Johnson Charles who is with the t20 world cup squad, so he'll provide the spin with a young Trinidad leggy named Yannic Cariah, who got 13 wickets for Trinidad last year in his debut season aged just 19,

All in all i expect it to be a tough series and may the best team win, these games can only benefit both Bang and WI in the long term, i'm confident that our boys can do well but i do still remember the tough time your A-team gave our lads last year in the caribbean, we just about won the four day series when a then unknown Sunil Narine got us over the line by hitting a 40 not out,

Hopefully you guys will be able to give regular updates because i've been told that the west indies Twitter won't be doing live updates i'm afraid!! .
just for the record i'm not saying there isn't talent, but talent needs to translate into consistent performance, something that is lacking in WI domestic cricket and we are yet to see it at the international level in the last few years (besides the regulars e.g. gayle, chanderpaul, roach etc, although russell is newer and doing great). i've known about carlos brathwaite for awhile and thought he was a really good prospect and heard about cotterrell to. jason holder is also a good prospect. as far as spinners go WI has lots of them atm, and they have good stats but they've got to back them up.

in regards to knocking sammy out of the national team, if andre russell can't do it i don't think anyone can, that guy is as talented as anyone and has been performing.

the problem is in the past the WI team has been incredible, if you were to make an all time team for each test country the WI team would be a strong contender for being the best team. when you have such amazing fast bowling greats and you see whats happened to WI fast bowlers over the last 10 years it's hard to see them getting back to that level atm and when it comes to batting WI has had some giants in walcott, weekes, headley, worrell, lara, chanderpaul, hunte, viv and then you see how recent yonger batting talents have developed.

anyway, to look at WI bench strength just see the team that BD beat in their test series win. like i said, not saying talent isn't there but it has to translate into consistent performance.

but by the sounds of it things are improving and on the up so that's great to here and we are eager to see how this series goes. good luck to both teams.
Old September 13, 2012, 05:44 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivfan

Fletcher and Carlos have been in and out of the Windies limited overs teams, the former due to issues of form, and the latter due to injury. I'm not sold on Johnson Charles and Keddy Lesporis, whom I don't think are good enough, but were only selected because they come from the Windward Islands, the home region of the current WICB administration.
I think thats very harsh, Lesporis is a young batsman who has done well for Winwards in the four day competition over the last two years, yes he's not Darren Bravo but he's making his way up in the game and this is what the HPC is there for, to IMPROVE the young players, not everything has to be "political".

Quote:
Dawes are just on the fringes of that strong side. Barclay has made a good start at Trinidad, but Ottley and Cariah are in and out of that side. Cummings, Hope and Warrican are yet to make an impact for Barbados, and the same can be said for Griffith at Guyana.
Dawes just played a full season for CCC alongside Holder and Mcclean and he done ok, i'm not sure he'll be playing for Jamaica again anytime soon, and lastly Cariah is just unlucky that he plays for Trinidad who already have Narine and Kantasingh, if he does well for HPC though i'm sure he'll be fine.
Old September 13, 2012, 06:03 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
just for the record i'm not saying there isn't talent, but talent needs to translate into consistent performance, something that is lacking in WI domestic cricket and we are yet to see it at the international level in the last few years (besides the regulars e.g. gayle, chanderpaul, roach etc, although russell is newer and doing great). i've known about carlos brathwaite for awhile and thought he was a really good prospect and heard about cotterrell to. jason holder is also a good prospect. as far as spinners go WI has lots of them atm, and they have good stats but they've got to back them up.
Again i can't agree, Darren Bravo averages in the 40s at international level, Narine has been a sensation, Rampaul has done well over the past few years and Samuels is coming into his own now, even Deonarine has knuckled down and is looking good, so we're not just relying on the old regulars anymore like you suggested, we've got some serious talent coming through now and it's just a matter of nuturing them the right way, tours like this will only help in that department imo,

Quote:
in regards to knocking sammy out of the national team, if andre russell can't do it i don't think anyone can, that guy is as talented as anyone and has been performing.
The problem with Russell is his bowling has gone backwards since he broke through in 2010, it's ok for the limited overs but in test cricket i don't think it's good enough, Brathwaite on the other hand is quicker than BOTH Sammy and Russell, and i firmly believe he has the potential to take wickets at the heighest level, he's also very good with the bat aswell which is the only thing thats keeping Sammy in the side because the coaches want someone to add runs down tail,

Quote:
the problem is in the past the WI team has been incredible, if you were to make an all time team for each test country the WI team would be a strong contender for being the best team. when you have such amazing fast bowling greats and you see whats happened to WI fast bowlers over the last 10 years it's hard to see them getting back to that level atm and when it comes to batting WI has had some giants in walcott, weekes, headley, worrell, lara, chanderpaul, hunte, viv and then you see how recent yonger batting talents have developed.
To be fair our 1980s team could be considered to be the greatest test team to have played the game, so the current players are always gonna come up short when compared to them, we've been to the bottom of the gutter over the past ten years thats for sure but right now we see hope in the new youngsters coming through, Darren Bravo, Narine and Powell amoungst others all look very good right now,

Quote:
anyway, to look at WI bench strength just see the team that BD beat in their test series win. like i said, not saying talent isn't there but it has to translate into consistent performance.

but by the sounds of it things are improving and on the up so that's great to here and we are eager to see how this series goes. good luck to both teams.
In all fairness that 2009 series isn't relevent NOW, we've moved on since then and to be honest that wasn't even the second best team we could have put on the field, looking at it it was just a mish mash of third rate players and a few talented youngsters, that wouldn't happen now though and our A-team is proof that we've got some damn good reserve to call upon now.

But yeah i'll say it again good luck to both teams, i've always admired the passion of the bang fans and the fact that they turn up to support their team game after game despite results not always going their way!! .

Last edited by WindieFan; September 13, 2012 at 06:42 AM..
Old September 13, 2012, 06:07 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Welcome to the board Windiefan! Thanks for your invaluable little report on your boys. We hope it will be a good tour for all parties!

Just as an FYI...Gowza is actually not a Bangladeshi...he's an Aussie who just happens to know every domestic player from all the Test nations, lol!
Thanks for the welcome sir, i'm happy to share a caribbean point of view during this tour, i'm looking forward to this just as much as the t20 world cup to be honest, probably more now after our warm up match against Sri-lanka today!! .
Old September 13, 2012, 06:12 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
But yeah i'll say it again good luck to both teams, i've always admired the passion of the bang fans and the fact that they turn up to support their team game after game despite results now always going their way!! .
Thanks for the acknowledgements about BD fans. I think i was close to getting a heart attack when BD were all out for 58 against West Indies in the World Cup but im still alive and supporting BD cricket (dont know why)
Old September 13, 2012, 06:22 AM
Cricket Guru

darren bravo, narine, samuels and deo are all in the national team so they aren't bench strength, they've broken through into the main team already. also samuels is 30+, deo is 29, ravi is about to turn 28 so they're in the middle of they're careers, they should be performing, they've been around the team awhile, although when you look at their stats they're doing ok but if that's the best after chanderpaul and gayle are gone it will be tough.

again, i'm not saying there isn't talent but they need to develop and perform consistently, better than they have been (ravi a 35 average in tests s/r of 72, deo averaging 29 with the bat in tests, 31 in one-dayers - they're ok but not quite up to the mark). in saying that you can say the same for the youngsters and even the older ones (late 20s/early30s) in a lot of the teams atm aren't up to standard. zim, BD, WI, NZ, SL, aus, india's pacers. the whole of cricket atm is going through a transition phase. pretty much every team except for SA and england are in that phase and clearly the incoming players still haven't hit their strides yet.
Old September 13, 2012, 06:56 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
darren bravo, narine, samuels and deo are all in the national team so they aren't bench strength, they've broken through into the main team already. also samuels is 30+, deo is 29, ravi is about to turn 28 so they're in the middle of they're careers, they should be performing, they've been around the team awhile, although when you look at their stats they're doing ok but if that's the best after chanderpaul and gayle are gone it will be tough.
Well in THIS test vs India last year we had no Chanders or Gayle and still managed to put up 590 and draw the game, SIX of those players (Brathwaite, Barath, Edwards, Fidel, Bishoo and Baugh) would be considered "bench" players right now as they didn't even play against NZ, so i'd say our reserves are much better than people think, plus only Brathwaite and Bishoo from that bunch played for the A-team that beat India aswell.

Quote:
again, i'm not saying there isn't talent but they need to develop and perform consistently, better than they have been (ravi a 35 average in tests s/r of 72, deo averaging 29 with the bat in tests, 31 in one-dayers - they're ok but not quite up to the mark). in saying that you can say the same for the youngsters and even the older ones (late 20s/early30s) in a lot of the teams atm aren't up to standard. zim, BD, WI, NZ, SL, aus, india's pacers. the whole of cricket atm is going through a transition phase. pretty much every team except for SA and england are in that phase and clearly the incoming players still haven't hit their strides yet.
Yeah i agree many teams are in transition, but we're far from being the worst imo, infact i think we've had a headstart of many teams as our youngsters have been forced to develop in tough environments, Brathwaite for example was just 18 years old in that India series i posted above and he got 50s against the likes of Ashwin and Ojha coming at him on spinning tracks and fielders all around the bat.
Old September 13, 2012, 07:00 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
Thanks for the acknowledgements about BD fans. I think i was close to getting a heart attack when BD were all out for 58 against West Indies in the World Cup but im still alive and supporting BD cricket (dont know why)
LOL yeah that was a crazy game indeed!!, i remember being very nervous about it aswell, many of our fans felt we would be beaten, i don't know what happened really, i think Bang might have caught us on a very good day, remember it was only a year earlier that we rolled out England for 51 at Sabina Park in a test match which won us the series, but you did get some revenge in the one day series we played last year so all is not lost!! .
Old September 13, 2012, 07:04 AM
Cricket Guru

yes there is definitely talent there but let's look at their consistency. barath averages 23 in tests, brathwaite 21, edwards 39, bravo 44, powell 25. so a couple of them have done really well, the others are not players that could be relied upon, certainly they've had good performances but they haven't managed it consistently enough to be relied upon. certainly there is talent, but also certainly those averages and that consistency will have to be improved upon.
Old September 13, 2012, 07:22 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
yes there is definitely talent there but let's look at their consistency. barath averages 23 in tests, brathwaite 21, edwards 39, bravo 44, powell 25. so a couple of them have done really well, the others are not players that could be relied upon, certainly they've had good performances but they haven't managed it consistently enough to be relied upon. certainly there is talent, but also certainly those averages and that consistency will have to be improved upon.
Yeah i totally agree, the key thing is their ages though!!..

Brathwaite= 19
Barath= 22
Bravo= 23
Powell= 22 (he just got his test first ton)
Edwards= 27

So bar Edwards many of them have the potential to vastly improve and play for another ten years or more, thats why i'm hopeful that our future is bright, same thing goes with the bowlers like Roach, Gabriel, Holder, Narine etc, their all 24 or below.
Old September 13, 2012, 07:33 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Yeah i totally agree, the key thing is their ages though!!..

Brathwaite= 19
Barath= 22
Bravo= 23
Powell= 22 (he just got his test first ton)
Edwards= 27

So bar Edwards many of them have the potential to vastly improve and play for another ten years or more, thats why i'm hopeful that our future is bright, same thing goes with the bowlers like Roach, Gabriel, Holder, Narine etc, their all 24 or below.
of course age is a major factor and the WI guys have plenty of it! for sure if they keep playing a lot of them could play for another 15 years even. talent certainly is there, and they have the time to improve. btw your knowledge on the WI players is very much welcomed here, always like to hear about any player more indepth.
Old September 13, 2012, 03:14 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Who are the players on the WI team?
Old September 13, 2012, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklemalp
Who are the players on the WI team?
If you'd just scroll up and read the the thread in its entirety.
Old September 14, 2012, 02:49 AM
Administrator

Friday, 14 September 2012
BCB Media Release
SAHARA-BCB NCA Team for 1st 4-day match versus West Indies High Performance Squad

The SAHARA-BCB National Cricket Academy squad for the first 4-day (16-19 Sept.) match against touring West Indies High Performance Squad at Sheikh Abu Naser Stadium, Khulna:

Mahmudul Hasan (Captain), Muminul Hoque (Vice Captain), Anamul Haque, Shabbir Rahman, Myshukur Rahman, Tanvir Haider, Nazmul Hossan Opu, Soumya Sarkar, Shaker Ahmed, Kamrul Islam Rabbi, Muktar Ali, Dollar Mahmud, Mizanur Rahman
Old September 14, 2012, 02:56 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

^ strong spin attack. Pace is weak as usual.

But where is Al Amin(pacer), Asif and noor Hossain?!??? They r not in the A team either...

Dollar is in both

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Old September 14, 2012, 03:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

^^^ I am also astonished as there is no Asif Ahmed Ratul. He is better in longer format ......I expected him in this match.Any way it will be a good chance for the academy boys to show off. i hope BCB will make a pacer friendly wicket rather than conventional spinning track.
Old September 14, 2012, 07:46 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Not a bad squad overall. Asif should have really made it but he does himself to blame for being so poor in the U19 WC. Hope he works hard after being dropped. Likewise for Noor. He hasn't done much to warrant a place.

It will be a big test for Anamul and Mominul who are looking to be in the national team in the near future.
Old September 14, 2012, 07:46 AM
MLC World Series I

Expecting a strong performance from specific newbies. Show us what you're made of!
Old September 14, 2012, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Anamul, Mominul and Kamrul should be in the A team too.

Old September 14, 2012, 08:06 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Anamul, Mominul and Kamrul should be in the A team too.

Agreed. I would add Mahmudul to the A team as well.