facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 26, 2015, 09:25 AM
Club Cricketer

Default My observation of some key issues

I am not trying to troll but if mods feel so please delete the thread... here is a nutshell what I have observed about BD Cricket after observing it for last 10-15 years

1. Country is short on talent
2. Players are treated like royalty for seemingly small achievements---- (getting flat, cars, lands) for winning a series. Also stop elevating every batsmen as the next big thing after their first positive performance. It is really stupid. Hold your horses and let the player grow
3.Very poor work ethics of some players -- Tamim is a prime example. Sakib, Mushfikur and Mashrafee are great example of professionalism however more often than not they are over-shadowed by the collective failures of the rest
4. Political party using cricket as a platform to win vote. Just do not understand why Hasina shows up in the final of the every series where BD wins

Old February 26, 2015, 09:31 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Can't agree with number 1. Talent is there but they do lack confidence. And also poor work ethics which you have mention
Old February 26, 2015, 10:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

^Correct...only area where we lack talent is the top order and that's what's killing us. Tamim at the top is throwing off the balance. If management would stop pampering him and make him work hard to get in shape and earn his spot like the rest we'd be in a much better place. I don't wanna hear about the Ranatunga and Inzi argument anymore; in this day and age you have to be physically and mentally fit to perform at highest level.
Old February 26, 2015, 10:20 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman
Can't agree with number 1. Talent is there but they do lack confidence. And also poor work ethics which you have mention
Disagree.
Do you care to explain?
Talent alone is just half the battle. Ability to perform is part of talent as well.
Our 98% player lack that.
Old February 26, 2015, 10:24 AM
Test Cricketer

Can we also have a media ban before any series, no matter whether we are playing Zimbabwe or playing in World Cup. Have the captain go and fulfill his media responsibilities and that's it. Complete ban for any player to talk to the media prior and in duration of the series.

So I don't care whether you think Zimbabwe bowlers are ordinary, or whether you think there will be couple of Bangladeshi batsmen in top 5 batsmen in the world cup or whether you have a gut feeling that you will win against Sri Lanka -- you just do not talk to the media about it. Let the captain face the question and let him give the most obvious cliched statements ever.
Old February 26, 2015, 10:28 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by meazz1
Disagree.
Do you care to explain?
Talent alone is just half the battle. Ability to perform is part of talent as well.
Our 98% player lack that.
You simply can't score a hundred at Lords if you don't have the talent. Ability to perform comes with dedication and hardwork. And our ami ki honu re culture is not helping either

You could be an extremely brilliant student but if you don't study, chances are you are not going to do well in the exam
Old February 26, 2015, 10:38 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

When you act like punk asses after beating a team that didn't even exist 7 years ago, that's what you get. Karma. The punks got punked. Loved how dilshan and Sanga trolled them all day long. We were lucky this was only a 50 over game. Taskin and Rubel was about to cry. Anamul had no shame as he still smiled the brightest. Mush used the same hands that he used to break the stumps like a raging troll but this time to drop, miss and then eventually shake Dilshan's hand like a loser. Mash wished he had 10 clones.
Old February 26, 2015, 10:41 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

I'm not being rude but I think you have been observing Bangladesh cricket over the years without the right pair of lenses. If anything, Bangladesh have a surplus of raw talent which, perhaps, could be exported abroad. Where we have problem is in the nurturing and finishing of that raw talent. Ashraful, Alok, Aftab, Rafique, Talha or Shahadat are great examples of abundant talent. We have a No.1 allrounder of the world in ALL formats of the game. Surely, he must have a wee bit of talent!

Where Bangladesh cricket has failed so far are the unprofessional and corrupt board and extremely poor domestic set up. I am sure you would unequivocally agree with me on this -if you have followed our cricket for that long as you have said. But, I still remain very hopeful about our cricket and, particularly, this CWC. All is not lost because of one bad outing and observations should be reserved, at least, till the end of the group matches.
Old February 26, 2015, 10:56 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasin.
Can we also have a media ban before any series, no matter whether we are playing Zimbabwe or playing in World Cup. Have the captain go and fulfill his media responsibilities and that's it. Complete ban for any player to talk to the media prior and in duration of the series.

So I don't care whether you think Zimbabwe bowlers are ordinary, or whether you think there will be couple of Bangladeshi batsmen in top 5 batsmen in the world cup or whether you have a gut feeling that you will win against Sri Lanka -- you just do not talk to the media about it. Let the captain face the question and let him give the most obvious cliched statements ever.

Now, I know the bolod you are talking about here.

I have a feeling he eats a lot of junk food and that's why he only talks rubbish and "feel" rubbish. He is fat and has manboobs. His work ethic is ordinary. He should quit cricket and start selling Fair and Lovely products by the roadside.

As for the other chap, he is definitely a hard worker. But, should not be allowed to have such a good opinions about his fellow batters.
Old February 26, 2015, 11:00 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

^ The bolod? There's more than one bolod. They all up bolod one another.
Old February 26, 2015, 11:14 AM
ODI Cricketer

I am not sure how we can blame work ethics ? How much do we really know about their ethics?

My conclusion is we are paying the price of last five years of instability. We have been consistently fielding the youngest team over last 15 years. And that is the problem. This team is no way any better, both in talent and skill, than the team that played 2011. In fact, I reckon the team of 2011 would have done better have the progression not stalled.

Firing Jamie in 2011 was the biggest mistake we have made.
Old February 26, 2015, 11:21 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Not trying to deny the issues in our cricket but imo this thread should be brought up after our WC is over, not over this loss. If this thread were to be brought up yesterday, we'd hear very different reactions. We're all upset and frustrated but there's still 3 games to go in this tournament.

Let's have our focus against Scotland next and talk about them
Old February 26, 2015, 11:23 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Masrafi, Shakib, Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliIndia
I am not trying to troll but if mods feel so please delete the thread... here is a nutshell what I have observed about BD Cricket after observing it for last 10-15 years

1. Country is short on talent
2. Players are treated like royalty for seemingly small achievements---- (getting flat, cars, lands) for winning a series. Also stop elevating every batsmen as the next big thing after their first positive performance. It is really stupid. Hold your horses and let the player grow
3.Very poor work ethics of some players -- Tamim is a prime example. Sakib, Mushfikur and Mashrafee are great example of professionalism however more often than not they are over-shadowed by the collective failures of the rest
4. Political party using cricket as a platform to win vote. Just do not understand why Hasina shows up in the final of the every series where BD wins

Do not agree with the first one. If you review the results of Under-19 tournaments, you will see,at that level Bangladesh's performance is far better than NZ, England, SA, SL. They have also beaten Pakistan several times.
Old February 26, 2015, 11:36 AM
Club Cricketer

I have a different definition of talent--- for me a talented product is the one which can replace the so called irreplaceable ones like Tamim----Tamim has been the opener for ever and for last 4-5 years he is on a downward spiral---when you have a steady source of closed to finished product --- you call it a talent pool-- not the ones who are doing good at U-19 level... but getting lost in between---- at the big stage you need constant supply of players...otherwise folks like Tamim will consider their place as a given---- India has a very successful U-16 football team which has gone to beat European U-16 clubs but our senior team ranking is 171 or something...
Old February 26, 2015, 12:03 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
I have a different definition of talent--- for me a talented product is the one which can replace the so called irreplaceable ones like Tamim----
There are. 1) The selectors are full of themselves. 2) Tamim has his uncle as a BCB director.

I'd tell you where the problem lies. EVERYONE knows where the problems are. It is the conviction of those who hold power at BCB. Their dedication and sincerity (lack of).

Yes, I am a nobody and I think I could have managed much better with results to see. You don't have to know everything to manage. You just need to be honest and know those who have the knowledge, assemble them and make sure they work together for a greater cause. That is leadership. Only then synergy occurs. We would punch over our weight.
Old February 26, 2015, 12:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Problem of Bangladesh cricket is quite well known:

1) Weak domestic cricketing structure

2) Lack of well rounded facilities ( training academies, indoor practice pitches, gym etc.) outside of Dhaka

3) Lack of professionalism within BCB which ultimately trickles down to team performance (frequent rotation of coach, adhoc punishment & reward for national team players, selecting/dropping players at whim etc)

4) Psychological weakness- Bangladeshis, just like other South Asian nations seems to be mentally weak. The fielders break down if one catch is dropped or a bowler is hit for a six. Srilanka, India and Pakistan are not too far ahead in this aspect, but is compensated by quality of their players and a longer history in playing top class cricket. The mentality will only change if competitive matches are being played from a very young age, domestic tournaments are completely revamped and training standard improved.

Some teams may succeed without the above, like Afghans may find real quick bowlers due to their natural physique Or Irish/ Scottish may become great fielding sides without proper training because their culture/upbringing values professionalism and athleticism in general. But Bangladesh team will need proper training, domestic structure to succeed, Srilanka would be a good example for us to follow..
Old February 26, 2015, 12:20 PM
Club Cricketer

Our cricketers don't have 'cricketing' talent. After playing 10-15 years at the highest level, none of them know how to approach a chase. Yesterday's track was a batting paradise. Any proper team with 8 batsmen should have chased it down against SL poor bowling attack. At this level your top order batsmen should not get runout in this huge outfield when there are gaps galore. Yes you can have a poor day at the field but the approach during the batting spoke of sheer incompetency.

I for one stayed up all night to watch how poor and unprofessional our cricketers are. I agree with all your points above. Everything in Bangladesh is political. No one is there to hold anyone accountable. When students are Universities are political pawns, our cricketers are showpieces.

I will get criticized for this but I don't think we are ready to play at this level. We are a bit better than Zim, Afg, and other and way below than Windies and Pak. Bangladesh needs major reform at the first class level and management level. Players like Tamim Iqbal are passengers and are a poor example to the young players. In my eyes yesterday we were just a poor version of Pakistan.

#rantover
Old February 26, 2015, 12:22 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtiaz82

2) Lack of well rounded facilities ( training academies, indoor practice pitch, gym) outside of Dhaka

3) Lack of professionalism within BCB which ultimately trickles down to team performance (frequent rotation of coach, adhoc punishment & reward for national team players, selecting/dropping players at whim etc)

4) Psychological weakness- Bangladeshis, just like other South Asian nations seems to be mentally weak. The fielders break down if one catch is dropped or a bowler is hit for a six. Srilanka, India and Pakistan are not too far ahead in this aspect, but is compensated by quality of players and longer history in playing top class cricket. The mentality will only change if competitive matches are being played from a very young age, domestic tournaments are completely revamped and training standard improved.

Some teams may succeed without the above, like Afghans may find real quick bowlers due to their natural physique Or Irish/ Scottish may become great fielding sides without proper training because their culture/upbringing values professionalism and athleticism in general. But Bangladesh team will need proper training, domestic structure to succeed, Srilanka would be a good example for us to follow..
Sorry but Indian team is second only to Aussie in-terms of handling pressure in the big stage specially ICC tournaments for last 5-6 years under Dhoni...
Old February 26, 2015, 12:36 PM
Test Cricketer

Not sure why we are always blaming weak domestic cricket structure, facilities and all that.
This is the same song and dance excuse for some of us all the time.
Look how Afg, Zim and other associate teams are performing not having 10% of what these BD bolods have had!
Old February 26, 2015, 12:36 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Good posts here I have to say. I think a lot of people are spot on with what's wrong with our cricket
Old February 26, 2015, 01:00 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meazz1
Not sure why we are always blaming weak domestic cricket structure, facilities and all that.
This is the same song and dance excuse for some of us all the time.
Look how Afg, Zim and other associate teams are performing not having 10% of what these BD bolods have had!
These guys play with free spirit and enjoy the moment --- most of these players from the associates have day job --- which means they are amateur cricketers without any prejudice, ego, baggage --- press don't give them any pressure...fans don't give them pressure-- they just go there play their heart out... compare that with the celebrities that you have in BD team--- just one good performance ---the very next day you are a national hero-- endorsement offers... fans worshiping ..players taking selfies with hashtags ...
Old February 26, 2015, 02:35 PM
ODI Cricketer

wondering how many times BD u-19 team gone past group stage? At the end of the day that counts - it does not matter how many BIG teams they beat if they end up playing with associates team in plate championship. That reveals a really sad state of our cricket from the the early stage - meaning even our u-19 team, having all the potential, is not prepared or has the gut to compete in top level. That's the SAD reality. We can only hope/pray that they get better. Last thing we should debate about their sorry performances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejkuni
Do not agree with the first one. If you review the results of Under-19 tournaments, you will see,at that level Bangladesh's performance is far better than NZ, England, SA, SL. They have also beaten Pakistan several times.
Old February 26, 2015, 02:41 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtiaz82

2) Lack of well rounded facilities ( training academies, indoor practice pitches, gym etc.) outside of Dhaka

4) Psychological weakness- Bangladeshis, just like other South Asian nations seems to be mentally weak. The fielders break down if one catch is dropped or a bowler is hit for a six. Srilanka, India and Pakistan are not too far ahead in this aspect, but is compensated by quality of their players and a longer history in playing top class cricket. The mentality will only change if competitive matches are being played from a very young age, domestic tournaments are completely revamped and training standard improved.

SL has poorer facilities and resources than us.

Not saying domestic cricket isn't an issue. Its the root cause, but that doesn't explain why your best batters bat at 6 and 7 in a must win game. It also doesn't explain the fielding atrocities.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 26, 2015, 02:48 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
I have a different definition of talent--- for me a talented product is the one which can replace the so called irreplaceable ones like Tamim----Tamim has been the opener for ever and for last 4-5 years he is on a downward spiral---when you have a steady source of closed to finished product --- you call it a talent pool-- not the ones who are doing good at U-19 level... but getting lost in between---- at the big stage you need constant supply of players...otherwise folks like Tamim will consider their place as a given---- India has a very successful U-16 football team which has gone to beat European U-16 clubs but our senior team ranking is 171 or something...
It is happening. Anamul Haque, Somya Sarkar, Mominul Haque, Sabbir Rahman, Taskin, Taijul, they have all earned there place by replacing players like Razzak, etc. Liton Kumar Das is about to raplace Tamim. They did not get lost. Technically this generation is better and with experience they will perform better than their previous generation.
Old February 26, 2015, 02:50 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Sorry but Indian team is second only to Aussie in-terms of handling pressure in the big stage specially ICC tournaments for last 5-6 years under Dhoni...
This "last 5-6 years", came after 80 years of playing international cricket.