facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Match Archive

Match Archive Relive the match-time passion (Read Only)

Old January 2, 2009, 12:13 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

less than 20 hours to go!
i hope SL plays well in ctg while facing a worthy opponent and good competetion!

Last edited by bujhee kom; January 2, 2009 at 01:53 AM..

Old January 2, 2009, 03:42 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: SAKIB AL HASAN

Team news is that Enam jr will play in place of Robin.I don't agree with this combination.Enam should play spare of Imrul/Mehrab.we are playing with too many batsmans.For test victory we require to take 20 wickets.What is the point weaken the bowling dept?
Old January 2, 2009, 03:53 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Dilshan

2nd test starts on the verge of a huge victory for Sri Lanka as well...

Our Forces just captured the LTTE terrorist capital Killinochchi by kicking sum major tiger buts.. the official announcement should be made by tomorrow Jan 3rd... this is soooooooo big...this is huuuuge..people gonna be celebrating like crazy...(already starting)

This news gonna be a major boost of moral to r cricket team which is currently in your country as well..so hope r team can kick some serious asses too & repeat the same performance like r forces did just a few hours ago...(no disrespect intended to BD )

this is payback time as the tigers launched a massive attack on the day of the world cup final (Sl vs. Aus) knowing full well that all the public+army guys must be watching the match...revenge is soooooooo sweet

Go Sri Lankan cricket team & the forces !!!!!!! (u guys are awesome)

Last edited by Hyro; January 2, 2009 at 04:01 AM..
Old January 2, 2009, 03:57 AM
Cricket Savant

the selection bothers me highly! dropping robin does not make sense!
Old January 2, 2009, 04:04 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

what the hell is going on selector's mind? why shahdat playing?
Old January 2, 2009, 05:22 AM
Cricket Savant

may peace be upon to the great people of sri-lanka and may there be love and harmony amongst her children!
Old January 2, 2009, 05:30 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: iqbal,ishant,southee

is shadat playin lol he is peice of crap
Old January 2, 2009, 06:16 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Dilshan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom
may peace be upon to the great people of sri-lanka and may there be love and harmony amongst her children!
thanx so much..peace is very near after Kili fall...

This gonna be a major moral booster for r cricket lads...specially MENDIS !!!!! as he is an Army Gunner...all the guys must be giving him pats on the back...

R guys must be pumped for the 2nd test ... hell yeah !!!!!!
Old January 2, 2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbir
Team news is that Enam jr will play in place of Robin.I don't agree with this combination.Enam should play spare of Imrul/Mehrab.we are playing with too many batsmans.For test victory we require to take 20 wickets.What is the point weaken the bowling dept?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom
the selection bothers me highly! dropping robin does not make sense!
Ctg. pitch is a spinner's heaven, thus, decision is ok to me.
Now, time to watch the fight between Mendis, Shakib and Enam!
Oh! And, Murali!!
Old January 2, 2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyro

Our Forces just captured the LTTE terrorist capital Killinochchi by kicking sum major tiger buts.. the official announcement should be made by tomorrow Jan 3rd... this is soooooooo big...this is huuuuge..people gonna be celebrating like crazy...(already starting)

This news gonna be a major boost of moral to r cricket team which is currently in your country as well..so hope r team can kick some serious asses too & repeat the same performance like r forces did just a few hours ago...(no disrespect intended to BD )

this is payback time as the tigers launched a massive attack on the day of the world cup final (Sl vs. Aus) knowing full well that all the public+army guys must be watching the match...revenge is soooooooo sweet

Go Sri Lankan cricket team & the forces !!!!!!! (u guys are awesome)
Isn't Murali a Tamil?!
Old January 2, 2009, 06:31 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

If Ctg pitch favours the spin, we are going to have a tough time handling Murali & Ajanta. Hope it's not.
Old January 2, 2009, 07:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

Just read this on cricifino. Tony Greig wants Zim and BD dropped from Test status after 2011 FTP concludes, so it looks like Test status for BD is in trouble.

SM: Tony, one of the points that England made was their reluctance to play Bangladesh at home, purely citing commercial problems. And staying with that, let me have your thoughts on Bangladesh and Zimbabwe and what their future is in world cricket…

TG: I think they both have a very limited future at the moment in terms of Test cricket. I would keep them going in the one-day game and in the Twenty20 format. I have seen some very good cricket by the Bangladesh side in the ICL. That is not real cricket and you cannot make a Test side out of those players, but they are good in the short format.

England have a point. In Australia we have used that situation quite well because we are lucky, we've got a big country; we've taken Bangladesh to Darwin, where almost no cricket is played. So at least there is a positive move there and there is some cricket in that part of the world. It may not be the greatest cricket of all times but the truth of the matter is, they are getting to watch some cricket, and as Ian pointed out, youngsters like to see their cricket stars.

Maybe England have got to think about something along those lines. But the bigger issue there is that you cannot have sides playing if they are not up to it. We have to try and get Bangladesh and Zimbabwe back to where they used to be and that is not going to happen in Zimbabwe while they have the political situation that they have going. I'm disappointed in Bangladesh, to be perfectly honest. They are taking too long and it is just not good enough.

SM: They have played 57 Tests and they have only one win, and that is against Zimbabwe.

TG: It is just not good enough, and that should be part of that discussion Ian was talking about with the stakeholders. They need to say: We need to cut back on cricket. We need to make sure the cricket that is played is good cricket, and therefore, without really being nasty to Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, who need our help, both of them need to be excluded from the FTP. That will give us a few more days by eliminating both of them from Test cricket.

SM: Tony, one of the points that England made was their reluctance to play Bangladesh at home, purely citing commercial problems. And staying with that, let me have your thoughts on Bangladesh and Zimbabwe and what their future is in world cricket…

TG: I think they both have a very limited future at the moment in terms of Test cricket. I would keep them going in the one-day game and in the Twenty20 format. I have seen some very good cricket by the Bangladesh side in the ICL. That is not real cricket and you cannot make a Test side out of those players, but they are good in the short format.

England have a point. In Australia we have used that situation quite well because we are lucky, we've got a big country; we've taken Bangladesh to Darwin, where almost no cricket is played. So at least there is a positive move there and there is some cricket in that part of the world. It may not be the greatest cricket of all times but the truth of the matter is, they are getting to watch some cricket, and as Ian pointed out, youngsters like to see their cricket stars.

Maybe England have got to think about something along those lines. But the bigger issue there is that you cannot have sides playing if they are not up to it. We have to try and get Bangladesh and Zimbabwe back to where they used to be and that is not going to happen in Zimbabwe while they have the political situation that they have going. I'm disappointed in Bangladesh, to be perfectly honest. They are taking too long and it is just not good enough.

SM: They have played 57 Tests and they have only one win, and that is against Zimbabwe.

TG: It is just not good enough, and that should be part of that discussion Ian was talking about with the stakeholders. They need to say: We need to cut back on cricket. We need to make sure the cricket that is played is good cricket, and therefore, without really being nasty to Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, who need our help, both of them need to be excluded from the FTP. That will give us a few more days by eliminating both of them from Test cricket.
Old January 2, 2009, 07:31 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Looks like Enam Jr. is coming in place of Robin.

Quote:
Mohammad Ashraful

On the team compositions and the wicket
It's (the wicket) very dry and devoid of grass. Very different from the one in Dhaka but almost similar to the track we played on against New Zealand here in October. It looks like a pitch where the spinners may play a role. We have retained the same 12 we had given before the first Test with Rajin (Salah) and Sajedul (Islam) out. There is a good chance that Enam (Haque Jr.) might come in. I think he deserves to play on this track. If he plays then it will be in place of a pace bowler and in that case Robin (Mahbubul Alam) will be left out.
Old January 2, 2009, 07:31 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

BCB Media release

We need a good first innings: Ashraful

Friday, 01 January 2009

CHITTAGONG (TigerCricket.com): Bangladesh captain Mohammad Ashraful and Sri Lanka skipper Mahela Jayawardene look ahead toe second Test of the Grameenphone Series that start tomorrow at the Bir Shrestha Shahid Ruhul Amin Stadium:

Mohammad Ashraful

On the team compositions and the wicket
It's (the wicket) very dry and devoid of grass. Very different from the one in Dhaka but almost similar to the track we played on against New Zealand here in October. It looks like a pitch where the spinners may play a role. We have retained the same 12 we had given before the first Test with Rajin (Salah) and Sajedul (Islam) out. There is a good chance that Enam (Haque Jr.) might come in. I think he deserves to play on this track. If he plays then it will be in place of a pace bowler and in that case Robin (Mahbubul Alam) will be left out.

Regarding Sri Lanka's mystery bowler Ajanta Mendis who might play in the second Test after missing the first with an injury
Some of us have played him in one-day internationals during the Asia Cup. But one-dayers and Test matches are different. Mushie (Mushfiqur Rahim) and Roqibul (Hassan) played him quite well. We have seen him bowling against India on television. We also have footages but it is important not to think of him or Muralitharan too much and just try to play ball by ball. He has done very well in recent times and has taken heaps of wickets but our focus will be on playing each ball on its merit because this is a Test match.

On Muttiah Muralitharan taking so many wickets against Bangladesh despite Ashraful's claim that the Bangladesh batters are reading him better
He is world class and takes wickets against every opposition. Still I think that we are reading him better but we have to show that over a long period of time. Too often we have only done that for short periods.

Expectations for the New Year and the second Test match
We start the New Year with a lot of confidence because of our second innings performance in the first Test in Dhaka. We are getting better as a team and the boys believe that and this year we will have plenty of opportunities to show our improvement. We will try to play well in this Test match.

What he means by 'playing well'
We need to bat four sessions at least in the first innings. If we do that then we'll have a decent score on the board. That's the pre-requisite for us getting a positive result in Test matches and a positive result can be a win also.

Mahela Jayawardene

Whether the second Test is a fresh beginning for his team after the hard fight in Dhaka
This is the start of another important year for us. Last year we beat India in a Test series, drew England and beat the West Indies in the West Indies for the first time in our history. This is a new year and we have a lot of cricket in front of us. Good to see Ajanta back. We'll make a decision on him after our practice session. The boys are very keen to start afresh.

On his 100th Test appearance tomorrow and the fact that he is 74 runs away from getting into the elite 8000-run club
A little bit maybe and I can't say that I'm not emotional. I'm not thinking about the personal milestone. It has been an honour to play for Sri lanka and I have said this before that I never expected to play 100 Test matches when I started off. I want to enjoy the day and the moment and I would love to perform and lead the team to victory in this match.

If he had spoken to Muralitharan, who also played his 100th Test in Chittagong, on the subject
Not really. As I have said before it will be just another five days of hard cricket for us and my focus is on that.

TEAMS
Bangladesh (12): Tamim Iqbal, Zunaed Siddique, Imrul Kayes, Mohammad Ashraful, Roqibul Hassan, Mehrab Hossain Jr., Shakib Al Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim (Wicketkeeper), Mashrafe Bin Mortaza, Shahadat Hossain, Enamul Haque Jr., Mahbubul Alam

Sri Lanka (probable): Michael Vandort, Malinda Warnapura, Kumar Sangakkara, Mahela Jayawardene (Captain), Thilan Samaraweera, Tillakaratne Dishan, Prasanna Jayawardene (Wicketkeeper), Chaminda Vaas, Dammika Prasad, Muttiah Muraliatharan, Ajanta Mendis

Scheduled start of match: 9:30am Bangladesh Standard Time (0330 GMT)

Match Referee: Jeff Crowe (New Zealand)
Umpires: Umpires Steve Bucknor (West Indies) and Nigel Llong (England)
TV umpire: Nadir Shah (Bangladesh)
Reserve umpire: Anisur Rahman (Bangladesh)
Weather forecast in Chittagong for the next 5 days

Saturday
Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday

low: 14 °C
high: 26 °C

low: 13 °C

high: 27 °C

Low: 15 °C
high: 27 °C

Old January 2, 2009, 07:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

We've had two matches against Mendia, where he only got two wickets @ an average of 30.12, (farhad reza and riyad the vicitms)

His worse stats are against Bangladesh, where his average is tripled and the highest of any other teams.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/...s;type=bowling

His two wickets were not against senior batsman.

Mushi and Raqib seem to handle him well.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/stats...iew=commentary
Old January 2, 2009, 08:08 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyro

It should be a great victory for the people of Sri Lanka. I've always felt that who ever is doing any movement blend with terrorism and trying to split their country, they r doing it for their own benefit. Specially Sri lanka being such a small country how can u divide this country? In 1971 we had different scenario.Former East Pakistan present Bangladesh and former West Pakistan present Pakistan were two different countries forcefully tied up as one.

May peace last for forever in Sri Lanka. Let there be no blood shed and all people from all community live together happily.
Old January 2, 2009, 08:11 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

সুখের কথা টনি গ্রেগের কথায় ক্রিকেট বিশ্ব চলে না।
Old January 2, 2009, 08:34 AM
Cricket Legend

So no Sajidul...then I prefer same XI
Old January 2, 2009, 08:53 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Once again, great work Obayed bhai.
What to expect of this test match?
Well, im keeping my expectations on the side and just getting ready for a free ride.

The first six month of this year would determine the future of our cricket.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old January 2, 2009, 08:55 AM

Go bd............তোমরাই পারবে
Old January 2, 2009, 08:58 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Robin should play and Shahadat should be dropped. Robin kept things tight was really unlucky for couple of LBW decisions. Robin was one of the major reasons why we managed keep Sri Lanka quiet on first innings.

I am afraid Sri Lanka will score 500+ in first innings with the proposed bowling attack.
Old January 2, 2009, 09:01 AM

Very Interesting news:
Murali and Harbajan Singh of Bangladesh.

http://bangladesherkhela.com/index.p...&editionID=557
Old January 2, 2009, 09:06 AM

if enamul play robin will definately out. ash said it.
http://www.tigercricket.com/viewNews.aspx?newsID=633
Old January 2, 2009, 09:13 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Intersting stats, hopefully Ash will do something sifferent this time.

Ashraful has never managed to score back-to-back centuries or half-centuries. In fact, the highest he has ever scored after scoring a hundred or a fifty, is 26.
Old January 2, 2009, 09:17 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: iqbal,ishant,southee

lol wat if ash scores cnturies first inning and another century second inning