facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 24, 2004, 04:42 PM
Retired BC Admin

Default Dav\'s post-mortem

Bangladesh coach Dav Whatmore admitted that his boys did not play good cricket in the Asia Cup.

"The story of the tournament is that we were not as good as we should have been to be competitive. When you keep on losing, the confidence gets a hell of a beating and something in the team is not working. Lack of confidence builds. I have seen that in a couple of players," he told reporters at the poolside of the team's official hotel on Saturday morning.

Whatmore was even critical of the lone victory the Tigers achieved against lowly Hong Kong in their opening match, which was followed by three straight defeats against Pakistan, India and hosts Sri Lanka.

"It was a game we were expected to win. But there were a few flutters when we batted first. The ball moved on that wicket but still, we could have won it more convincingly with the bat," the Sri Lankan-born Australian said.

He was very frank in pointing out the players who disappointed him most.

"Rajin Saleh tried hard but lacked confidence. Kapali looked good but he is a combination of a few silly shots and being unlucky," said a depressed Whatmore.

Usually, out of form batsmen seek salvation going down the order. But Rajin was consistently tried at the top and failed. Whatmore however wanted to see things from the other side.

"When someone like him is sitting with his pads on, the pressure builds in the waiting for going out there. That could be very stressful if you are out of form and not confident. When you open the batting, you know its time. Apart from that, we decided it on the fact that Rajin has a bit of technique. Against bowlers of that class, you need to have the technique to survive. In the end it was a very good ball that got him," explained Whatmore.

"It was a decision we made that did not work but we have to go with what we think is right."

"But Ashraful set a terrific example for any team, not for Bangladesh only. The idea that you never give up has come across the team. If you continuously lose wickets, you will never be successful either chasing a target or building a total. So you must stop wickets falling. Once you do that, slowly you build. That's what has happened. If it wasn't for that stupid piece of running between the wicket by Ashraful, it could have been 200-plus."

"I am pleased the way the two (Ashraful and Manjarul) shrugged off the pressure and it was not a poor total. But it was our poorest bowling performance. Khaled Mahmud has not used the new ball recently but we relied on his experience and the ability to skid the ball on the tracks. It did not work. We felt before the innings that there would be some assistance under lights for the seamers," he said.

But now Whatmore thinks that it is time to reassess the players at his disposal.

"We have to rethink the formation of the team now. There is lot to discuss, to review with selectors. We need to have a decent, frank, honest discussion abut the way we are heading."

Whatmore was certainly pointing to the need for some fresh batsmen who can make runs.

"May be my expectations were too high here and I am disappointed because we have proved nothing here. People watching Bangladesh in last three or four years have made nice comments but when you are involved on day-to-day basis, you can become impatient. I am sometimes a bit impatient. I need to reassess the situation again.

The Bangladesh team will return to train tomorrow for their last match against Pakistan on July 29.

Daily Star: Dav's post-mortem >>

Old July 24, 2004, 04:59 PM
Retired BC Admin

Does this mean that we will have two different teams for the test and odi? And few new faces from the u19 line-ups?
Old July 24, 2004, 05:04 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

I was just thinking that! I feel Nafis Iqbal, Nafees Ahmed, and Iftab Ahmed will soon get a look in. Nafis has been around for a long time now and should be ready for international cricket. I wonder which players will get the boot! Perhaps champion trophy will see a different Bangladesh team.

Quote:
Originally posted by chinaman
Does this mean that we will have two different teams for the test and odi? And few new faces from the u19 line-ups?
Old July 24, 2004, 10:15 PM
ODI Cricketer

Probably the most important part of the interview...

Quote:
"We have to rethink the formation of the team now. There is lot to discuss, to review with selectors. We need to have a decent, frank, honest discussion abut the way we are heading."
I think there is a definite possibility of seeing new faces in the team.

How much time do we have between now and the next tournament?
Old July 24, 2004, 10:33 PM
Retired BC Admin

September 12 & 15 at the ICC Champions Trophy 2004. Please see schedule at the front page.

Complete fixture >>
Old July 25, 2004, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

I read in prothom alo that Whatmore will consider bringing Nafis into the team in the next BCB meeting.

However, I have a feeling that Bashar and some others may be dropped. We may just have two separate teams for ODI's and tests.
Old July 25, 2004, 01:06 AM
First Class Cricketer

I saw the BD vs SL game. Some players just looked tired and not interested. I think new face could use some chances for their debut and old one could use some rest. They have played a lot of games in past year and all those traveling are not helping either.
Old July 25, 2004, 08:32 AM
Test Cricketer

Default cleaning up weeds

It is the right time to find out emerging talent and cleaning up weeds.
Old July 25, 2004, 02:07 PM
First Class Cricketer

Default Dav\'s post-mortem

looks like Dav Whatmore may finally be tempted to give Nafees Iqbal a nod in the senior team, but who will be left out then???

looks like a mini-debate in hand over the new combination in line-up...Ashraful and Iqbal could be solid

maybe they could be the answer to the problem we have been facing for sometime