facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 21, 2004, 03:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Default The Best Moment of Bangladesh Cricket

Lets start a topic about what is the best moment for Bangladesh Cricket.
To me when it was when Shanto hit that winning run in the ICC final against Kenya. I was listening to radio like all other bangladeshis that day.

But the scene I remember the most, is the Pilot 6 against Suji. 11 needed off the last over and he hit the first ball for a 6. Low fulltoss slogged straight over bowlers head. The guy may be thin but he has the spirit, when he hits them the bowler knows where it will go.

Another reason to remember that game was Bangladesh already qualified for the world cup and final had no significance. But the way they chased it, simply for the glory of the country made me proud. SHABASH BANGLADESH.

:fanf lag:: bravo:
Old May 21, 2004, 03:58 PM
Cricket Guru

happiest moment..i don think BD have
any happiest moment.
Old May 21, 2004, 05:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

For me, when Ashraful hit his hundred, it was the first glorious moment of Bangladesh cricket that i'd witnessed
Old May 21, 2004, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

First: When Shanto hit that winning run(actually it came off his pads - trademark of BD batsmen)
Second: When Saqlain Mushtaq was run out in WC 99
Old May 21, 2004, 08:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

1. when Akram hit 66 under pressure against Holland (last ICC) and took BD to semifinal, virtually assuring BD's first world cup birth. Undoubtedly the most gutsy performance in BD cricket history. And by far the most important one. Before that BD came short in ICC every time. Actually, we almost lost this one too.
2. Pilot 6 and Haseeb's 1 in the last ball in Kenya in the ICC final. (Twin birth)
3. Tarek Aziz last over against Zimbabwe.
4. Last out in Pak win as well as the Inzammam blunder that made Saeed Anwar Run out (Twin birth). Saeed Anwar out was the crucial turning point.
Old May 21, 2004, 08:26 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Shanto's 1 run is the moment for me.
Old May 21, 2004, 09:55 PM
Retired BC Admin

Didn't follow the game live, watched the taped glory only. I still wonder why the Kenyans fielders were spread out during the last delivery instead of closing in to prevent that single.

The single most amazing thing from the whole match that stands high above anything else is the fact that the tigers never looked shy of the mammoth target for even a single moment.
Old May 21, 2004, 10:07 PM
Cricket Legend

thats because we had to chase for 25 overs and a smaller target.

Tikolo scored 141 in that game. Rain. We had to chase 166 only in 25 overs.

Guess who got Tikolo's wicket? Chacha! He also hit a six and some other big shots.

You are right. Odumbe blundered with the fielding set up in the last ball.

I got a 10 minute highlight of the game in dvd. Its a lot of fun. It was selected as one of the 10 best games of the 90s (by the ICC). Lara's 375, Saeed Anawar's 194 etc. are in it too. One of these days I will upload it here.

[Edited on 22-5-2004 by pagol-chagol]
Old May 21, 2004, 10:13 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by chinaman

The single most amazing thing from the whole match that stands high above anything else is the fact that the tigers never looked shy of the mammoth target for even a single moment.
This is the thing we are missing now. Staunch determination.

My best moment is Pilot's nonchalant six. one cool customer.
Old May 21, 2004, 11:33 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

i'm a bit surprised to see that none of u guys mentioned the win agaist scots to ensure world cup. the "rang khela" on that evening is still one of the best fun in my life. police was alert during the match against kenya and for that reason, the rang khela was not really possible on that evening. but on the scot match... man that was fun. we did bath with color EVERYONE possible, from 5 years kid to 60 years beggers, regardless of male/female known/unknown or anything else. a friend got cought to police who was actually trying to give those dye to police!

[Edited on 22-5-2004 by AgentSmith]
Old May 21, 2004, 11:55 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

My first answer after reading the topic was obviously - the 1997 ICC trophy win - Shanto's leg bye.

But after that, after reading all the threads above, I am finding myself in a diabolical situation - which one do I give the most marks?

Like BangladeshFan, I also heard that leg bye on radio, I also heard Ashraful's hundred on radio, I've seen the WC 99 on TV - both Scotland and Pakistan match, Akram's innings of 66 was amazing and I agree that we do need someone like him, with his guts in our current squad, again the Scotland match in the ICC trophy - I have my memories of all of it. In addition, I remember Rafique's innings of 77 against Kenya - our maiden ODI victory.

For now, I can't separate 1 moment of glory to another. So I must admit that - that finest moment in Bangladesh's cricket history is yet to come.
Old May 22, 2004, 09:15 AM
BanglaCricket Multimedia

for me it was pilot's towering six in the last over in the 1997 ICC trophy final... the leg bye wud have never mattered if that six didnt come up... man that took guts... he stood tall... smashed it right back over Suji's head... GOD That was beautiful... i understand why shanto's legbye is so important to everyone... but for me it was the sixer... pilot has taken a place as one of the greatest achievers in BD cricket with that six... atleast according to me...

and then ofcourse the moment when Saqlain was run out (WC 99)... man I had my Bio O-levels the next day and I was watching the match glued to the screen and then went out to join the michil... good days!!!!
Old May 22, 2004, 09:36 AM
ODI Cricketer

Wasim Akram's wicket in the world cup win.

I woke up in the morning late and missed the Bangladesh Innings and Pakistan's first wickets. When I opened cricinfo scores, Wasim was still batting. I knew as long as Wasim Akram is there, I shouldn't get my hopes high. So, when Akram fell - right then I knew by heart - we've won the match!!! what a feeling, Bengalis defeating pakistan in the world cup!! Unbelievable.. Can’t describe the feeling in words. All I can think of was --- JOY BANGLA !!!

[Edited on 22-5-2004 by say]
Old May 22, 2004, 09:53 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

well by now, in the year 2004, we could have had beaten Pakistan twice - the first one was the famous WC 99 victory, and the 2nd one in Pakistan - would have been a memorable victory if we could have done that as well.

I guess great wins come after many regrets of losing.
Old May 22, 2004, 11:30 AM
Test Cricketer

SAARC Cricket in 1988 (?) was remarkable too when BD became runners-up. That was the first tournament involving Bangladesh i followed closely. I can still remember left arm paceman Anisur Rahman, highest wicket taker in that tournament, injected fear to the opposition batsmen. Srilanka A and Pakistan A were full of test and ODI players. And BD lost in the final to India A which was as close a battle as it gets.

I think the idea of SAARC cricket involving A teams was a good initiative by BCB and they should seriously consider to resume it again.
Old May 22, 2004, 11:55 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

I don't think it was 1988. It would be either 95 or 96. That was pretty show by Bangladesh. We made beat India A, but lost to them in the final and ended up runners up. The match we beat india A wnt down to the wire. Rafique was given the final over if I remember correctly. I don't exactly remember how many were needed. but I believe we beat them by onw runs as rafique kept it tight and got through the defenses of the indian player (whose name escapes me) with a straight low ball. In the final though India A pretty much rolled over us. Anis has our star pacer. The crowd would roar as he would charging in. Quite exciting stuff!

Hopefully as time goes by, our list of happy moments will be too long to recount here.
Old May 22, 2004, 12:44 PM
Cricket Legend

You know, good moments come so far apart for us that we have really learnt to appreciate them much more than others. The intensity is so much more.

Don't you think when(if) we start winning more often it will cease to be so mindboggling?
Old May 22, 2004, 01:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Zephaniah
SAARC Cricket in 1988 (?) was remarkable too when BD became runners-up. That was the first tournament involving Bangladesh i followed closely. I can still remember left arm paceman Anisur Rahman, highest wicket taker in that tournament, injected fear to the opposition batsmen. Srilanka A and Pakistan A were full of test and ODI players. And BD lost in the final to India A which was as close a battle as it gets.

I think the idea of SAARC cricket involving A teams was a good initiative by BCB and they should seriously consider to resume it again.
That was in 1995.
Old May 22, 2004, 10:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Letter from 2010:

The best moment of BD cricket was:

It took 39 years for India to beat West Indies. They finally did it with the spin triplet of Bedi, Venkot and Prasanna in 1971. When Dave Whatmore, the current Pakistani world champion coach, threw in three spinners to face West Indies, "Cricket Intellectual" around the world were laughing at him. He didn't even use 3 spinners in the practice 3 day match before the test. When we look back now, we have many different opinions about what the best moment of that game was. There were so many. I think the best moment was not what happened in the game. The best moment was when the coach decided to throw in the 3 spinners. It took only 3 year 6 months for Bangladesh to win in West Indies.
Old May 23, 2004, 12:21 AM
Banned

Pagol bhai: the best one I read so far. Bravo! I'm so shellshocked with defeats, I am allergic to recount moments of glory.
Old May 23, 2004, 11:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Default End of day 1, Cairns Test in Australia 2003

Bangladesh had been thumped in the first test, and they got the blowtorch applied on a greentop by the first-string Australian fast bowling attack of Lee, Gillespie and McGrath (backed up by a certain SK Warne).

At the end of day1, Bangladesh were 8-289 ... Sarker had got 75, and Bashar and Mashud had got 40-odd apiece.

That was when Bangladesh's batsmen realised they were good enough to play test cricket.
Old May 24, 2004, 12:40 AM
Cricket Legend

I think the Australia series holds a special place as a turning point for Bangladesh, because there was finally some light at the end of the tunnel. Good post IanW and welcome to the Board.

3 spinners in the first test - the practise match leaves no doubt in my mind that we must play rafique-rana-enamul in the Test.
Old May 24, 2004, 07:15 PM
ODI Cricketer

For me, the best moment can only be Pilot's six in ICC final. That was one glorious shot. And as mentioned before, it seemed no nochalant, so natural...Add to that, Shanto's leg bye, deflected off the pads to third man, those were the best damn 5 minutes of my life as a cricket fan!

A close second place is our win against Pakistan in WC 99. Third is looking at our scorecard 8-289 against Aussies.

Watched the first two live on TV, the other on Cricinfo.
Old November 16, 2009, 08:14 AM
Cricket Legend

The best moments in Bangladesh cricket are yet to come.
Old November 16, 2009, 06:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW
The best moments in Bangladesh cricket are yet to come.
Oh yeah!