facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 19, 2009, 05:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones
Default Why are we always at the receiving end of these Freakish Records!!

Ok, the series is over and we can now indulge our selves in all sorts of analysis, bashing and what not. What I want to discuss in this thread is why Bangladesh is always at the receiving end of freakish records in cricket.

Freakish records that come to mind:
Jason Gillespie’s double ton in test, Vaas’s opening hat trick in a oneday match and now a world record of not out 194 runs by a batsman that I haven’t even heard about before this series. The reason I say these are freakish is because Gillespie is a #10 batsman who didn’t even have a century in his whole life till he played that inning and then Coventry never even had one-day century in his career and now all of a sudden he’s a world record holder ahead of Saeed Anwer for staying not out. Out of these 3 examples only Vaas is well worthy of his performance but to get a hat trick (in fact I think he got 4 wickets in first 5 balls) at the beginning of the inning is anything but normal.

So what’s next? Why are we always at the receiving end of these stats?

These stats definitely make us look like a laughing stock in the international arena.

Old August 19, 2009, 05:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib

Its okay because S Rajesh will put an * against those records when he reports them
Old August 19, 2009, 05:45 PM
Cricket Guru

Hey, we also made some sort of records by making Coventry score most runs for losing cause, white washing WI in WI in both Test and ODI series

But, yeah, I don't blame Rajesh for putting * against those records.
Old August 19, 2009, 05:51 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Other side of the coin - Shakib Al Hasan, neither technically sound batsman nor a great bowler of its kind (Allrounder - think of Vettori, Kallis, Imran or Akram) and still holding this top position for almost a full Gregorian calendar while playing in a team which is constantly criticized for being leveled with the elites.

In above case every other top nation will remain at the receiving end till cricket would be played on this green top orange shaped circle whenever wherever.
Old August 19, 2009, 05:56 PM
Cricket Savant

Wait...can anyone actually find out which country produces more hatrixters?

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old August 20, 2009, 02:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

It is not a problem. This is the preliminary stages of our Cricket history. Later on we will also start to build record.
Old August 20, 2009, 03:06 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Indians are part of more freakish records. 194 is a record against them. They are trying to make people look at another direction.
Old August 20, 2009, 06:08 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

How about Ash getting his maiden 100 in his debut vs Sril.
How about the 7 wckt haul by Sakib vs NZ,before that Sakib wasn't even considered to be that much of a quality bwlr,he hardly used to get wckts in test.
And Ash maiden 100 vs Aus & a defeat.
Old August 20, 2009, 09:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
Wait...can anyone actually find out which country produces more hatrixters?
TEST:

37 : 11 for ENG, 9 against AUS (1 for BD - Kapali v PAK, 2 against BD - Bliganut (ZIM) & Franklin (NZ) both in 2004)

ODI :

25 : 8 for PAK, 4 against AUS & WI (1 for BD - Shahadat v ZIM, 1 against - Vaas (SL) )

T20:

Only international hattrick by Brett Lee (AUS) vs. BD in 2007 WC
Old August 20, 2009, 10:01 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Dear Betaar,
Whatever ugly records you can produce I can produce twice as ugly records for all test teams. All world records by the way. Just a sample:

Talk about embarrasing records:
Eng: Broad conceding 36 in a over.
SA: (Test innings) 7 times got allout under 50. HHS.
NZ: (Test innings) 26 allout. HHS.
Pak: 43 allout in ODIs (all out under 20 overs). Look at the line up: Saeed Anwar, Rameez Raja, Saleem Malik, Asif Muztaba, Wasim Akram, Waqar, Rashid Latif, Mushtaq Ahmed, Akib Javed. HHS.
Old August 20, 2009, 10:09 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: TIK47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Dear Betaar,
Whatever ugly records you can produce I can produce twice as ugly records for all test teams. All world records by the way. Just a sample:

Pak: 43 allout in ODIs (all out under 20 overs). Look at the line up: Saeed Anwar, Rameez Raja, Saleem Malik, Asif Muztaba, Wasim Akram, Waqar, Rashid Latif, Mushtaq Ahmed, Akib Javed. HHS.
Old August 20, 2009, 10:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Dear Betaar,

I understand that if you play cricket or any other sport long enough (which is why all those teams you mentioned have some records against them but our history is pretty short) you are bound to make records or stay at the receiving end of them. But all of those records against us happened within last 4-5 years...........too small a time period if you ask me.

I also understand that this is the time all the oppositions have their chance against us since we are going through the learning phase but it just hurts to see a batsman of Coventry's callibre to score all those runs against us. He played well (IMHO not well enough to deserve 194 n/o) but our bowling and fielding lack so much penetration that we can not make things happen for us when going gets tough. This is exactly why players ilke Gellispie makes 200 in a test where as none of our top order batsmen ever made one.
Old August 20, 2009, 10:23 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaar
I understand that if you play cricket or any other sport long enough (which is why all those teams you mentioned have some records against them but our history is pretty short) you are bound to make records or stay at the receiving end of them. But all of those records against us happened within last 4-5 years...........too small a time period if you ask me.
Babarey baba, we just started to play intl. cricket. we are Minnows. We will concede odd records that is the norm.

So you want ugly records within the last 4-5 years? Shall I start? Try me. I will start with Aus not able to defend 400+ runs.
Quote:
I also understand that this is the time all the oppositions have their chance against us since we are going through the learning phase but it just hurts to see a batsman of Coventry's callibre to score all those runs against us. He played well (IMHO not well enough to deserve 194 n/o) but our bowling and fielding lack so much penetration that we can not make things happen for us when going gets tough. This is exactly why players ilke Gellispie makes 200 in a test where as none of our top order batsmen ever made one.
The problem is you are hurting too much from that catch misses of Rasel and Riyad. I think Mash's catch miss should hurt you more than those two. Here BD won, there BD let go history. Gilliespie's 200 wouldn't matter then had Mash hold on to that catch. Heck if scored 300 that wouldn't have mattered.

Just look at the bright side. How much room for improvement we have in fielding. Surely we will compete in near future.
Old August 20, 2009, 10:24 AM
Cricket Savant

Thanks Raynman. Someday we will take the crown away from Pakistan.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old August 20, 2009, 10:48 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
Other side of the coin - Shakib Al Hasan, neither technically sound batsman nor a great bowler of its kind (Allrounder - think of Vettori, Kallis, Imran or Akram) and still holding this top position for almost a full Gregorian calendar while playing in a team which is constantly criticized for being leveled with the elites.
Beg to differ...BIG time! Cant compare Shakibs bowling with Akran or Imran to start with. In my book, Shakib is a much better bat than Akram who wasnt a genuine all rounder like Immy or Beefy. Believe me, I'm a great fan of Waz and have closely followed pretty much all of his career. Yes, Shakib is not technically perfect...but he is also a player of an era where improvisational shots are more at use because of changing formats.

Above all, He is just twenty two (and playing for a pretty ordinary side). Vettori in his 30s. Great Imran wasnt a great in his early 20s. He became better with age. So, I reckon you're underestimating young Shakibs talent and achivements, thus far.
Old August 20, 2009, 11:02 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
... Great Imran wasnt a great in his early 20s. He became better with age...
Hello!!! All was good until that. Just os that you know, great Imran was great the moment he left Oxford. Injuries restricted him. One can even argue during the 2nd and 3rd comeback (from retirement) his bowling became not so great as his early days.
Old August 20, 2009, 11:08 AM
Cricket Sage

BCF as much as I admire your post, I left age out of the question, hence if age considered the receiving enders now receive more than enough - that is uplifting not denouncing.
Old August 20, 2009, 12:16 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Quote:
Hello!!! All was good until that. Just os that you know, great Imran was great the moment he left Oxford. Injuries restricted him. One can even argue during the 2nd and 3rd comeback (from retirement) his bowling became not so great as his early days.
T_E,
I'm not saying Immy was exactly crap in his 20s, either. But, if you compare his stats with his fellow peers, you'll find his average, particularly, batting got much better. This is a well known fact .

But, I believe he over prolonged his career by a good three to four years. Having said that, he could have still outplayed and out-thought (as a grandpa) some of todays greats like...well, dont want to upset anyone here
Old August 20, 2009, 12:35 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Imran became a much much better batsman towards the last few years of his career. No question about that.
Old August 20, 2009, 01:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Wow, some of you guys are giong overboard and off topic. Shakib hasn't done enough to be compared with either Imran or Wasim....he is probably on the right track. So please let's not get big headed.

On the other hand, I don't even know why some of you are thinking of Shakib as a freak of nature. To be honest his very good consistent performances (which is still not freakishly good) came very recently and were boosted by the performances he put against weakened WI and strongest (but still weaker than all others) Zim team in recent times.

And I don't even know why some of you are listing BD players' records as freakish. Ash's century at the age of 17 against Sri Lanka was surprising but not freakish. Shakib getting 7 wickets against SA is not a freak performance.....it's an extra ordinary performance. Now if Shahadat scores a century or Mash gets a hattrick in the first 3 balls of the inning that would be freakish......

Not that having freakish records make a team a stable one and I'd rather be a normal and consistent performer......but so far they have all been happening against us.....or at least that's how it seems.
Old August 20, 2009, 07:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

A 17 year old took on the likes of Muralitharan to score a century on his debut against the mighty Lankans.

These same Lankans were dumbfounded when their scorecard read 6/5 while chasing some 130 odd runs.

Freakish? Yes. But clearly, we were on the "giving" side.

At the end of it all, it just goes back to the adage "Every dog has his day."
Old August 20, 2009, 09:30 PM
Banned

একটা কথা বলার আছে শুধু, যদি আমাদের বিপক্ষে এমন রেকর্ড করার পরও ম্যাচ আমরা জিতে যাই, তাহলে আমি তো প্রতি ম্যাচে এমন একটা রেকর্ড চাইবো আমাদের বিপক্ষে। একটা ব্যাটসম্যান একা ১৯৪ রান করলো ১৪৫ বলে তারপরও আমরা ম্যাচ খুব সহজে জিতলাম, যা কিনা ১৪তম সর্বোচ্চ রান তাড়া করে জয়ের রেকর্ড। ঐ ম্যাচে তো আমাদের একটা রেকর্ডের কথা বললাম। আরও আছে, ওয়ানডে ক্রিকেটের ইতিহাসে ৪র্থ বারের মত এক ম্যাচে ২ জন ব্যাটসম্যান ১৫০+ রান করলো। বাংলাদেশের প্রথম কোন ব্যাটসম্যান ১৫০+ রান করলো। যাই হোক আমি তো খুশি। ১৯৪* করার পর যদি তার টীম জিততে না পারে তাহলে আমার কাছে ৩ জনে ৩টা ৫০ কইরা জিততে পারলে ঐ ১৯৪-এর ইনিংস থাইকা ঐ এক একটা ৫০-এর অনেক মূল্য।
Old August 21, 2009, 01:28 AM
Cricket Sage

Stop records, seriously.
Get your palms as dry as possible. Shakib deserved more points and Mahmudullah cannot be given a breather for that missing dolly.
Old August 21, 2009, 12:42 PM
First Class Cricketer

That is because we are still a below average performing team..Only when we start performing well against the Top and Stronger teams we would be let oof these dubious records.

Quote:
Ok, the series is over and we can now indulge our selves in all sorts of analysis, bashing and what not. What I want to discuss in this thread is why Bangladesh is always at the receiving end of freakish records in cricket.

Freakish records that come to mind:
Jason Gillespie’s double ton in test, Vaas’s opening hat trick in a oneday match and now a world record of not out 194 runs by a batsman that I haven’t even heard about before this series. The reason I say these are freakish is because Gillespie is a #10 batsman who didn’t even have a century in his whole life till he played that inning and then Coventry never even had one-day century in his career and now all of a sudden he’s a world record holder ahead of Saeed Anwer for staying not out. Out of these 3 examples only Vaas is well worthy of his performance but to get a hat trick (in fact I think he got 4 wickets in first 5 balls) at the beginning of the inning is anything but normal.

So what’s next? Why are we always at the receiving end of these stats?

These stats definitely make us look like a laughing stock in the international arena.

Old August 21, 2009, 12:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksta
একটা কথা বলার আছে শুধু, যদি আমাদের বিপক্ষে এমন রেকর্ড করার পরও ম্যাচ আমরা জিতে যাই, তাহলে আমি তো প্রতি ম্যাচে এমন একটা রেকর্ড চাইবো আমাদের বিপক্ষে। একটা ব্যাটসম্যান একা ১৯৪ রান করলো ১৪৫ বলে তারপরও আমরা ম্যাচ খুব সহজে জিতলাম, যা কিনা ১৪তম সর্বোচ্চ রান তাড়া করে জয়ের রেকর্ড। ঐ ম্যাচে তো আমাদের একটা রেকর্ডের কথা বললাম। আরও আছে, ওয়ানডে ক্রিকেটের ইতিহাসে ৪র্থ বারের মত এক ম্যাচে ২ জন ব্যাটসম্যান ১৫০+ রান করলো। বাংলাদেশের প্রথম কোন ব্যাটসম্যান ১৫০+ রান করলো। যাই হোক আমি তো খুশি। ১৯৪* করার পর যদি তার টীম জিততে না পারে তাহলে আমার কাছে ৩ জনে ৩টা ৫০ কইরা জিততে পারলে ঐ ১৯৪-এর ইনিংস থাইকা ঐ এক একটা ৫০-এর অনেক মূল্য।
good point i agree with you