facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 26, 2010, 01:07 PM
BD Correspondent, ESPNCricinfo

BDFlag Daily Star Report: Can Shakib's bat do the talking?

The success of his left-arm spin has been much celebrated and it has placed him among the top-ranked bowlers in the world. Recently, Worcestershire found out how good Shakib Al Hasan's bowling is. Banking on his 35 wickets including three five-wicket hauls, the West Midlands county earned promotion after one season in the Second Division.

But Shakib's bat hasn't spoken as loudly or as beautifully.

In the county championship, he averaged a tad over 25 with just one score of 90 and in England's 40-overs tournament, Shakib struck two half-centuries in five games.

But in one-day internationals in 2010 so far, the left-hander averages only 23.22 and has scored only two fifties, against his career average of 32.86. In Tests though, his average is a tad better.

But Shakib's dip in batting form is a cause for concern as he embarks on this international season. He joined Tigers' practice yesterday after returning from England last week.

"I have had a few good scores, so I wouldn't say I batted too badly," said Shakib while talking to the reporters.

"I didn't score as much as I wanted in the longer version. I hope I can use the experience of playing one-day cricket now," added the No. 1 all-rounder in the world.

Shakib said he would bank on the self-belief he gained from playing county cricket for the first time.

"I have confidence obviously, I wouldn't have that confidence if I did badly. If I can make use of that confidence, it will be helpful," said Shakib.

There is a buzz around the national team ahead of the series against New Zealand because of the long training camp undertaken this time. Apart from the preparation and the addition of coaches, captain Mashrafe Bin Mortaza believes the fact that the series is at home is vital for the players.

"We played a lot of cricket last year and I think that's a reason why we lost to Ireland and the Netherlands. But this time there's a good thing: we are close to our families," said Mashrafe.

"We haven't reached that level mentally where we can play for a long time without our families. We haven't become that professional yet," he admitted.

Old September 26, 2010, 01:11 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Then when will they reach that level of professionalism?
Old September 26, 2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habib
I think Mashrafe should be credited for this really frank comment. I mean, you can only expect this from him since he's perspective and smarter than the rest.

I think one should just take a look at the English players to see how homesickness can trouble even the best players. Examples here are Trescothick and Harmison. They are amazing performers at home but wilt because they need the home environment to do well.

That level of professionalism will come when the U13, U15, U17, U19, A team and Academy make long tours abroad. If they are habituated with playing without comfortable factors from a young age, it won't hurt them when they're at the top level.

(Some Indian cricketers have said that they started believing they can beat Australia because they beat teams like Oz, SA, England at age-level tournaments. Once they reached international cricket, they held no fear because they saw similar faces in the opposition which they beat. Its a theory, of course).
Old September 26, 2010, 01:23 PM
Cricket Guru

^You are right Isam vai. Another way to solve this problem is to play county cricket regularly. Our players have to perform like Shakib & Tamim to get chance to play over there though.
Old September 26, 2010, 01:26 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

A good write up, Isam, but I do not agree with the timing of this article.
When players play at home, they are under more pressure than usual,

And this type of article usually increases fans' expectations, thus creates more pressure on players, specially on the marky players. As our players are not that much mentally strong, thus Shakib will be more under pressure to perform, which may eventually backfire, specially in batting.

Last edited by FagunerAgun; September 26, 2010 at 01:33 PM..
Old September 26, 2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
^You are right Isam vai. Another way to solve this problem is to play county cricket regularly. Our players have to perform like Shakib & Tamim to get chance to play over there though.
Not just county cricket. They have fantastic cricket in the lower level in England, Australia, SA or even India. International players do play in those Minor leagues. It is no big deal but our players are not aware of these things. Pity.
Old September 26, 2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FagunerAgun
A good write up, Isam, but I do not agree with the timing of this article.
When players play at home, they are under more pressure than usual,

And this type of article usually increases fans' expectations, thus creates more pressure on players, specially on the marky players. As our players are not that much mentally strong, thus Shakib will be more under pressure to perform, which may eventually backfire, specially in batting.
You are entitled to your opinion. Having said that, so am I.
Mashrafe's quote here is merely stating the obvious that the players hate to stay abroad for too long. Its not that all of them stay with their families when they are playing a series in Dhaka or Ctg but home food, people, comfort. That's what is really important for people at that level, no matter how good or bad they play.
But I hope your prediction don't come true, otherwise the Tigers will suffer.
Old September 26, 2010, 01:50 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isam
Not just county cricket. They have fantastic cricket in the lower level in England, Australia, SA or even India. International players do play in those Minor leagues. It is no big deal but our players are not aware of these things. Pity.
Are you sure Isam vai that they don't know about these things or are there not much demand for the BD players? Ash & Sharif recently played in Lancashire league in England though.
Old September 26, 2010, 02:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
When he will retired

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old September 26, 2010, 04:42 PM
BanglaCricket BPL Fantasy League Winner 2012

Favorite Player: To Bash = AshDaFool

Quote:
Can Shakib's bat do the talking?.
Technology gone too far! Just wait till the Japanese gets Test status

Last edited by riankhan; September 26, 2010 at 08:22 PM..
Old September 26, 2010, 07:51 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Old September 26, 2010, 09:39 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Not surprised at all to hear that..we Bangladeshis in general really like to be close to our families..our schedule this year was perfect for us in terms of home and away games..and like Isam says we need more of our age group teams to play abroad..it will give them great exposure to different conditions, confidence, and also they can get used to life without the families..
Old September 27, 2010, 12:13 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: many ..

lOLZ THEY ARE OLD ENOUGH TO MAKE THEIR OWN DECISION WHY DO THEY NEED TO EB CLOSE TO THEIR FAMILIES , I THOUGHT FAMILIES DON'T SUPPORT THEM TO PLAY CRICKET INF ACT FAMILIES WANT CHILDREN TO BE DOCTORS AND ENGINEERS , THIS SHOULD NOT BE AN EXCUSE FOR A GUY ABOVE 18+
Old September 27, 2010, 05:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

Comment like this will not help Mash to attain professionalism. No one will make you professional unless you are willing to be a professional. Mash imo got enough exposure to be a professional. Not every professional man in BD earns 10-50 million takas per year. It is his failure that he could not reach that level.
I think Shakib reach that level...Tamim is also not far behind if not reach yet. Players like Mushy, Jahirul, Riyad is not bad either.
Old September 27, 2010, 06:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

well,these guys are getting paid for playing cricket,home and away.least we can expect from them is professionalism...
Old September 27, 2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamisa
well,these guys are getting paid for playing cricket,home and away.least we can expect from them is professionalism...
agree but they're what the system has made them to be.
Old September 27, 2010, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
agree but they're what the system has made them to be.
Can you elaborate? I am not sure I get what you are trying to say ...
Old September 27, 2010, 07:05 AM
Cricket Legend

^^^i think he probably means since the people that the players are working under are so unprofessional,the players themselves have turned out to be so...
Old September 27, 2010, 07:59 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

i thght it's not the family or homesickness,it's more to do with too many matches against big teams(equal to too many defeats as we loose more often)
othrwise we didnt hear any excuse after the Wi and Zim tour which was long too.
Old September 27, 2010, 08:44 AM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

I think playing at home and all the comforts and familiarity that comes with it definitely gives Bangladesh the edge. For once we've prepared properly before a series, the downside I would say is the reduced number of fans turning up at the stadium and missing a key player in Tamim Iqbal.
Old September 27, 2010, 11:06 AM
Club Cricketer

If Shakib is expected to take 5 wickets and score 50 plus runs then why do we have 10 other guys on the team?
Old September 27, 2010, 11:44 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:
"We haven't reached that level mentally where we can play for a long time without our families. We haven't become that professional yet," he admitted.

I think we should give credits to Mash for being so straightforward. Its true that we do lack in mental toughness and that was the reason we have hired a sports psychiatrist for the team. The psychiatrist should work on this area and BCB should also take some steps like allowing cricketer's wives to accompany the players if its a long tour ( the player has to pay for all the expenses). or as Isam bhai suggested that they should send out age level teams abroad so that they can get used to stay away from home for a while...
Old September 27, 2010, 11:49 AM
Cricket Guru

^You will be surprised how miser some of our players can be. They won't bear the expense.
Old September 27, 2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
^You will be surprised how miser some of our players can be. They won't bear the expense.
Right!
Old September 28, 2010, 10:25 AM
Cricket Legend

but wives do accompany the players sometimes.mash took his wife with him to england,didn't he?and we also don't have too many married players in our regular playing XI,do we?