facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 28, 2006, 11:15 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza
Default Session By Session Analysis - Test 1

I tried to do it during the England tour, but we had such a performance that it did not made any sense to carry on in that thread. Hope I won't jinx it this time. Here is how it goes. We set a target for each session. Once the session is over, we analyze it and give it a grade: win, loose, draw.

Since three sessions are already over, I'll post them here. But you guys can do it too

Session 1:

Target: Do not loose Early Wicket.

Analysis: JO's early wicket was a set back, but we did come back from that. Bandara did the late session damage. 3 wickets are gone but scored 84 Runs.

Outcome: In between draw and loose. Hard to decide.

Session 2

Target: Recover from two quick wicket loose.

Analysis: Job well done. Went to a much better situation of 191/4. scored 107 runs with 1 wicket lose.

Outcome: Win

Session 3
Target: Keep up the good work.

Analysis: Even though scored 108 runs in this session, we lost 5 wickets, including the priceless wicket of ashraful.

outcome: lose.

[b]Session 4[b]
Target: 1. Add as much run as possible. 10+ would be a success. 2. Get at least 2 wickets before lunch.

So, this is where we actually start.

Old February 28, 2006, 11:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

1st session: F+
2nd session: A-
3rd session: C-

4th session: At least 2 wickets. We can declare for all I care.
Old February 28, 2006, 11:20 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Session 1: we lost. Early wicket. 2 set batsmen got out in a batting pitch??
Session 2: Draw. A set batsman got out.
Session 3: Draw. (tail was exposed. Don't expect too much from the tail).
Old February 28, 2006, 11:26 AM
Cricket Sage

Session 1: Loss (Beacuse of two late wickets plus one early wicket)

Session 2: Win (Recovered nicely)

Session 3: Loss ( Losing 3 could make it a Draw/Win)

Just face it, it may be a good score for Bangladeshi standard, but in absolute term.... 1st day is a (slight) LOSS for Bangladesh.
Old February 28, 2006, 11:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Fazal
Session 1: Loss (Beacuse of two late wickets plus one early wicket)

Session 2: Win (Recovered nicely)

Session 3: Loss ( Losing 3 could make it a Draw/Win)

Just face it, it may be a good score for Bangladeshi standard, but in absolute term.... 1st day is a (slight) LOSS for Bangladesh.
Frankly, I would take 315 if we had to do it over again. Take Ashraful's score out and the rest of them did what they always do.
Old February 28, 2006, 11:32 AM
ODI Cricketer

I like the letter grade idea. But you guys are really tough. Let’s not think we are at par with the major cricketing nations.

My grades are as follows:

Pre-lunch: B-
Lunch to tea: A
Post-tea: C+
*Overall: B
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Overall is not an average of the 3 sessions, to me, it is simply scoring 300+ on Day 1.
Old February 28, 2006, 11:38 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally posted by pagol-chagol
Frankly, I would take 315 if we had to do it over again. Take Ashraful's score out and the rest of them did what they always do.
I know.... I agree with you .. based on our current situation 315 is a very good score for Bangladesh as a Bangladeshi fan .... but not for an independent evaluator.

but in terms of evaluating each session impartially... 315 is not going to save Bangladesh from defeat.... if this wicket gets spinner friendly... our wicket will fall sooner than you can count...SriLanka can still beat Bangladesh by an Innings plus 100s.
Old February 28, 2006, 11:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Well, we definitely have to bat well in the 2nd innings to have any chance. The fact that we see a glimmer of hope at the end of day 1 by itself is not such a small achievement. Isn't it?
Old February 28, 2006, 11:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

really disappointed by the performance of other batsmen... most of them got start but failed to capitalize... thats a crime... one 70-80 from a batsman and we would have been well placed for 400....
Old February 28, 2006, 11:51 AM
ODI Cricketer

If the wicket starts to take turn, it usually gets worse as the game goes on. So assuming we really do not mess up in our second innings, they are the ones who will have to bat last. In that case, 300+ might not look that bad. Problems are many for us. We don’t have a Murali, or anything close to that. There is very little chance that we can restrict the Sri Lankans to close to our 1st innings score, or even better, to take a slight lead. And then who knows how we will fare the second time around. Remember the day Ashraful scored 150+ agianst India! We almost lost that very day. So all in all, 300 is really not a bad score if it really begins to turn a lot.
Old February 28, 2006, 11:53 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally posted by sadi
really disappointed by the performance of other batsmen... most of them got start but failed to capitalize... thats a crime... one 70-80 from a batsman and we would have been well placed for 400....
And we would still have some wickets in hand at least 3.
Old February 28, 2006, 11:54 AM
Cricket Legend

I actually started this in a different thread, putting in targets for sessions and days.

Anyway, I had said before the start that 260 or 270 for 8 would have been a par score if we got to bat first.

I think 315 for 9 is better than par for us! So if a par score is B, I'd give us a B+ overall, given the relative strengths of each team.

As for sessions, I would give the first a C+ (even though Bashar's LBW was dubious), the second a A- and the third a B-. I don't think losing all those wickets in the last session makes the day a failure (I dont think Kapali was out and the tail arent supposed to hang around against bowlers like Malinga).

Overall, a very good day for Bangladesh. Things could have been much worse had Sri Lanka taken their catches early on! We have given our bowlers something to bowl at. Our two tail-enders should now try to frustrate their bowlers as long as possible, although I doubt they'll hang around for much more than 10 minutes and then we have to try to get 5 or 6 SL wickets in the day and try to prevent them from taking the lead. If we can do that, I'll be very happy with day 2!
Old February 28, 2006, 11:56 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally posted by Cricket46
If the wicket starts to take turn, it usually gets worse as the game goes on. So assuming we really do not mess up in our second innings, they are the ones who will have to bat last.

Draw or loss... with the bowling fire power we have... I don't think they will need to bat last... i.e. that would not be necessary.... even they bat target wouldn't be more than 50-60 runs....
Old February 28, 2006, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

i still dont feel comfy with 315 though. we'll have to bowl really well if we are to make a match out of this. 315/6 or 7 at the end of the day would have been a better stand, imo.
Old February 28, 2006, 12:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
(I dont think Kapali was out and the tail arent supposed to hang around against bowlers like Malinga
Thank god I am not the only one who saw that. A bad decision by Harper that favoured the bowlers, added by the fact that the Lankans were way over the top with excessive appealing. And for god's sake he was batting at 7. To me he is an extra bowling option in this match, not even a batsman.

I am awaiting those drop Kapali threads any moment now.

Also, I think Mashud deserves some credit here. After all, he hung around and helped Ash get the century he deserved.
Old February 28, 2006, 12:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

as long as they don't score more than 400 I will be happy... its very important for us to keep a tight line and length and let them work for their runs just like murali had to work for his wickets... don't give away easy runs... don't drop catches and we should be allright
Old February 28, 2006, 12:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
don't give away easy runs... don't drop catches and we should be allright
Good point- catches will give us the edge. Throughout the innings we were helped by some poor SL fielding. And those extras from Fernando really helped.
Old February 28, 2006, 12:08 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by sadi
I agree with you. The way NI and HB got out, its really a crime. They got out when they were well set on the crease.
Old February 28, 2006, 12:11 PM
Test Cricketer

If we can put SL in the 4th innings......! I would bet that Rafique and Enamul will offer them fresh ghol to SL batsmen!
yeah I know it is one of those big IFs.
Old February 28, 2006, 12:14 PM
Banned

I agree with FW.

Ash's 100 is masking the challenge ahead. Rafique & Enamul will have to play key roles, while we will have to look at Rassel and Shahadat for breakthroughs with the new ball. There just cannot be any partnership over 150.

If only we could have played 1 more full session.
Old February 28, 2006, 12:20 PM
ODI Cricketer

I think a philosophical issue comes up. Do we view the glass as half empty or half full? If you ask me, vis-à-vis our position as a test team, I see it BOTH as half empty and half full. Meaning yes, we could get to 400 in the first innings, yes we can bowl them out close to our score, but also we would be much worse had they taken the catches and the run out(s).

So given our background, I still think 315/9 is pretty good. I would rather that we lost 2-3 wickets fewer by the end of the day. But that is past now, ifs and buts will always be there. When was the last time we scored 300+ in a days play against a test team? I don’t know even if we achieved that against Zimbabwe. I think our batsmen did a very decent job and now it is up to the bowlers to give all that they have. Realistically speaking, I would be happy if we can restrict them to 400, my good sense says they will score much more, while my heart wants them to score under 300. I know, I am digressing here.

The outcome of the match I don’t know, but to me the overall vibes is very positive in this series, so far.
Old February 28, 2006, 12:26 PM
Test Cricketer

I think 325 is not a very bad score. To me my biggest concern is about our 3rd seamer. Who will be able to bowl new balls if some injuries happen to any of our two openning bowlers?
Even though we do not have Murali but we have spinners like Rafique/Enamul and Alok who can get some favors from the pitch. So I am not worried about our spin attack. I am afraid that lack of third seamer in the team may cost us the match. Look how malinga/Maharoof/fernando troubles our batsman specially after taking the second new balls. Other wise 315-325 is a good respectable score from BD to defend against present SL team.
Old February 28, 2006, 12:28 PM
Test Cricketer

I felt that we are playing in this match with one batsman short. I really thought Mushfiq would play in this match. He has been in good form and yes. I do want hiim in the team.. specially.. when dont have anyother batsman inpalce of Aftab. Its a shame to let alok play in the test match. only, reason i guess. they want to get one extra bowler in the team. I really hope alok proves me wrong.. unfortunately, I can see big failure from him in this match. About the score, I believe, its not enough, but given the situation earlier on.. I would take this gratefully. Last but not least.. the way Ashraful got out.. It was compeltely fool. I really sometimes hate this boy.. he is so talented and at the same time. such a dumb head. If he were here tomorrow.. I sincerely thought of having a score of 400 by tomrrow... Its such a pathetic way to end such a great innings from him.. hooo!!!
Old February 28, 2006, 12:30 PM
Test Cricketer

Just a suggestions... Rahim shoudl have played in place of Nafees iqbal.. i really thing it would have been a correct decision.
Old February 28, 2006, 12:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Ejaj
the way Ashraful got out.. It was compeltely fool. I really sometimes hate this boy.. he is so talented and at the same time. such a dumb head.
I didn't watch the game but looking at the wicket falls it seems that he ran out of partners and knew that he had to score quickly with big shots. Is that correct?