facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 22, 2004, 06:56 AM
Test Cricketer

Default The West Indian victory over Bangladesh was as ugly as they come, writes Tym Glaser

THERE ARE good sweeps, bad sweeps and some really ugly ones.

The West Indies one-day sweep of Bangladesh, which was completed earlier this week, definitely fell into the latter category.

Bangladesh are not the worst international team going around, that honour belongs to the train wreck formerly known as Zimbabwe, but minnows are minnows and the Asians are definitely small fry.

For the West Indies to limp home in the first game by one wicket chasing an extremely moderate total of less than 150 and then eke out two further tight victories in rain-shortened games show just how far the mighty have fallen.

Sure, there was no Brian Lara to rally the troops and put an ordinary bowling attack to the sword but that's hardly an excuse for a lacklustre performance against a team which wins an international match about as often as Halley's Comet passes by.

The visitors, in fact, came out of the three-match series with their reputations and pride intact, and probably even enhanced.

They played within their limitations, were tactically astute and performed with passion.

That cannot be said for the hosts who appeared to think the series would be a walk in the park where it was just a matter of rolling the arm over, smashing a few balls and then heading back to the hotel.

Serious flaws in the regional team were further exposed.

Fill-in skipper Ramnaresh Sarwan still has a lot to learn about the art of captaincy. His field placement was not bad but his bowling changes lacked imagination.

The batting, without the greatness of Lara, remains brittle. Seasoned campaigners like Chris Gayle and Shiv Chanderpaul, who should have torn that attack apart,
fell off the planet. While Sarwan continues to throw his wicket way with reckless abandon.

The Smith boys, Dwayne and Devon, showed some promise and Tino Best and Fidel Edwards loom as a potentially top strike tandem but there was far more lost than gained from those three one-dayers and the West Indies must put up a far better performance in the coming two-Test series against Bangladesh.

Lara will be back in the fold and that will make a huge difference; plus, the visitors' obvious weaknesses should be more easily exposed in the expanded version of the game.

However, this tour was supposed to be little more than a warm-up as the Windies prepare for England and a learning experience for the lowest ranked Test side. Let's hope the West Indies have learned something as well because they just aren't as good as they think they are.

Source

Old May 22, 2004, 07:02 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
They played within their limitations, were tactically astute and performed with passion.

That cannot be said for the hosts who appeared to think the series would be a walk in the park where it was just a matter of rolling the arm over, smashing a few balls and then heading back to the hotel.

What the author says here about BD echoes my own thoughts on the other thread. However I don't think that WI ever thought that BD would be a walk in the park. They were simply tested very hard by BD, and managed to eek out the vicotories! Indeed the flaws that were exposed are nothing new, it's the same problems that have etched Lara's speeched when he says "we have to go back to drawing board". I can't recall how many times I have heard that now, but it's more than I'd like to hear. Apparently they need to change drawing boards!!!!!
Old May 22, 2004, 07:05 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by WI2debone
Quote:

What the author says here about BD echoes my own thoughts on the other thread. However I don't think that WI ever thought that BD would be a walk in the park. They were simply tested very hard by BD, and managed to eek out the vicotories! Indeed the flaws that were exposed are nothing new, it's the same problems that have etched Lara's speeched when he says "we have to go back to drawing board". I can't recall how many times I have heard that now, but it's more than I'd like to hear. Apparently they need to change drawing boards!!!!!
Still i'll go with Dav's line - 'Well played Bangladesh' but you still lose!!!!
Old May 22, 2004, 07:13 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Zephaniah
Still i'll go with Dav's line - 'Well played Bangladesh' but you still lose!!!!
Zeph nothing is wrong with that line, except when it's repeatedly used, and does prove to be true!!! BD started off the tour on a high, hopefully they will do well again in this warm up game and get that much needed confidence going into the Tests!!!
Old May 22, 2004, 07:19 AM
Street Cricketer

Poor Tim - he's a well known West Indian hating Australian. He thought Ponting's ungracious comments would be a welcome lead story in a West Indian territory.

Maybe he should check the Age or the Sydney Morning Herald.
Time should know that an ugly winner is better than a pretty loss - I'm sure you Bangladesh fans know what that means.

[Edited on 22-5-2004 by Madam X : correction]
Old May 25, 2004, 07:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Zephaniah
For the West Indies to limp home in the first game by one wicket chasing an extremely moderate total of less than 150 and then eke out two further tight victories in rain-shortened games show just how far the mighty have fallen.

The visitors, in fact, came out of the three-match series with their reputations and pride intact, and probably even enhanced.

Fill-in skipper Ramnaresh Sarwan still has a lot to learn about the art of captaincy. His field placement was not bad but his bowling changes lacked imagination.

The batting, without the greatness of Lara, remains brittle. Seasoned campaigners like Chris Gayle and Shiv Chanderpaul, who should have torn that attack apart,
fell off the planet. While Sarwan continues to throw his wicket way with reckless abandon.

The Smith boys, Dwayne and Devon, showed some promise and Tino Best and Fidel Edwards loom as a potentially top strike tandem but there was far more lost than gained from those three one-dayers and the West Indies must put up a far better performance in the coming two-Test series against Bangladesh.

Lara will be back in the fold and that will make a huge difference; plus, the visitors' obvious weaknesses should be more easily exposed in the expanded version of the game.

However, this tour was supposed to be little more than a warm-up as the Windies prepare for England and a learning experience for the lowest ranked Test side. Let's hope the West Indies have learned something as well because they just aren't as good as they think they are.

Source
Was this guy sleeping for last 10 years or so? The result of this series was no surprise, infact WI was lucky to win the first ODI. Bangladesh didnt bat well otherwise the result could very well be different.

WI didnt underestimate Bangladesh which can be easily seen as they are putting almost their test team against BD in practice games. They tried their best in the ODIs and I am afraid this is WI best without Lara. Perhaps someone should wake up the author to the "harsh reality".
Old May 25, 2004, 07:21 AM
ODI Cricketer

[Edited on 6-9-2004 by Nascer]
Old May 25, 2004, 01:54 PM
ODI Cricketer

anyone don't get a win within 30 over against bd considers ugly. 15 overs for that matter in 25 over match. they don't want to understand bd has passed those days behind.
i guess the test series will be as the writer wants it. the practice match is a good sign of that.