facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 8, 2007, 07:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing
BDFlag Anyone realized what a good team we have?

This is far by the best Bangladeshi team ever to have played cricket. It is a team of fine,talented and hard-working individuals who work as a team and play to win. To those who think this achievement in the S8s or against India were flukes just look at our record in 2006, we won 18 out of 28 matches (Who cares who the opposition is, a win is a win) and the individual records have been not only confidence boosting to everyone in the team but tought the team to feel how it is to win.

These are my favourites

Tamim : Younger brother to none other than Nafis Iqbal, our U-19 star and captain. I knew the very first day of him getting into our team that he would turn up to be a very important player of Bangladesh. Eventhough he hasn't really proven anything, his talent is just outstanding. He has all the shots and to go along with it a heart to match the best of the best. I knew that he will want to restore family pride by giving us excellent performances and learn from his brothers mistakes. More than feeling proud, I am stunned by his brilliance. And his fielding is becoming a reference to the whole Bangladeshi cricket team as a top class fielding outlet.

Javed: The most unlikeliest person in my list is fast becoming a player you hate to love. Last time when I asked Shahrier to be dropped and started a thread bring back javed I was almost questioning myself than others, but there is no smoke without fire. The opening partnerships were in total disarray for the first 4 matches, and now we are looking beyond the opening stand thanks to this guy.

Sakib: A complete allrounder, and he has the mind to go with it. I loved the way he taunted and damaged South African pride by calling them ordinary, might not have worked for him but it did work for others. A future leader? We have to wait and see. A gutsy and dependable batsman who can rotate and strike the ball. A very good fielder and look at his bowling as well as batting average.

Aftab: Last year it was 27, this year it has already been 11. Well there is only one thing I can say, more to come!You guess the rest!

Ashraful: My alltime favourite player, I have predicted his superstar status a long time ago correctly and have been behind him in all his major failures. I will make another prediction now, by the time he is 26/27 next world cup when he will peak, he is going to be the best batsman in the world overtaking anyone and everyone .

Mushfique: Our next captain, as simple as that. He guided Bashar beautifully in the match against SA, he provided constant encouragement and "distractons" and played a major role in creating pressure. Along with that, I think he has one of the best techniques in the team, his technique in batting is a major factor for him being so cool in the middle when he bats. Can't call him a Sachin so soon but he is gonna get there. Have won many u-19 matches leading from the front in batting, just wait and see, it will happen with the biggest teams in no time.

Mashrafe: Eventhough I have noticed a sudden drop in pace from the Indian match, Pagla is not only our premier strike bowler but also our next very own Bangladeshi allrounder. And what makes a Bangladeshi allrounder? Not average but STRIKE RATE, it's above 100 btw. And btw, last year he was the highest wicket taker and this year he started off the world cup with a bang and became the first MOM for Bangladesh.

Rafique: World class spinner.

Razzak:
Third in the list last year in highest wicket taker list. The way things are going this year, 18 wickets in 12 matches, I think we are in for a massive wicket fest from him.

12 19 10* 9.50 0 0 18 3/20 25.44 0 3 0My other favourites:

Shahadat
: There are many doubters of Shahadat and Farhad. About Shahadat, all i can say is, he is raring to go I am sure and everyone knows that. He is our best hidden weapon till today, and calling him slow is just an understatement. I have seen him infront of my eyes and trust me, he is anything but slow. People either take his first match or the matches played in slow tracks like Bangladesh or Zimbabwe as reference, but in the fast bowler's paradise WI he will clock above 140s for sure. So agian, UNLEASH THE FURY tigers.

Farhad:
A valuable team member who can contribute from all ends.

All in all, this is the most balanced team in the world cup. The bowlers know and do their job and the batsmen are the most talented,young and exciting to watch. No wonder we are getting a strong fanbase all around the world, credits go to the fearless approach as well. Remember the Pakistani team in the 92s? The most exciting and fun team to watch with strong fans all around the world? We are getting there with our unique style. Long way to go yes, but the journey has already started. Now, let's take the world by storm.

Old April 9, 2007, 12:03 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

It doesn't matter wheather we have a very good team or not, as long as the batsman doesn't make some runs, we're not even close to compete with stronger opposition. But when a single batsman clicks, the opposition often dont come close to create a competition..
Old April 9, 2007, 12:22 AM
Test Cricketer

Great writing.........wrapped with spicy essence.............
........did you forget to add the fielding? That is the ENIGMA for BD team.........They should maintain the standard of the last match against SA as their basic standard and then try to surpass that level in the next matches.

Batting or Bowling can be bad at a given day. But fielding? Nop, there must not be any compromise.
Old April 9, 2007, 01:19 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: AC Gilchrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanvir_nus

All in all, this is the most balanced team in the world cup. The bowlers know and do their job and the batsmen are the most talented,young and exciting to watch. No wonder we are getting a strong fanbase all around the world, credits go to the fearless approach as well. Remember the Pakistani team in the 92s? The most exciting and fun team to watch with strong fans all around the world? We are getting there with our unique style. Long way to go yes, but the journey has already started. Now, let's take the world by storm.
Whoa, keep your feet on the ground mate. Manage your expectations. You have the nucleus of what could be a very competitive side, in the one-day arena at least. Now what you need is consistency and mental focus, and a killer instinct. I feel the SA match, more than the India match, was a watermark for your side - because a) SA were ranked No1 when you beat them; b) the win happened AFTER your win with India and after some poor results in between; and c) this was a big Super 8 clash. It showed that Bangladesh didn't fall in a heap mentally after heavy losses to NZ and OZ and were able to bounce back.

With every Bangladesh victory will come raised expectation levels from a long-suffering fanbase. But try and be fair to your team, and be realistic about your assessment of where the team is right now. Don't call them the best now and then hammer them if they lose to England, WI or Ireland. You end with with the yoyo effect - the team is the best if they win, and rubbish if they lose. Just a few days ago people in Dhaka were apparently burning effigies of Bashar, now they're praising him to the skies.

You can enjoy the successes of your side without placing them up on pedestals by calling them "the best this" or "the best that" or whatever. Be happy that you have what appears to be something special, which even better is a work in progress, with lots of areas for improvement, without putting undue pressure on the team and yourselves as fans (even as an OZ fan I feel our team is far from a great team - it's a decent team, with a couple of genuine stars in Ponting and McGrath but with some average performers in key areas, mainly our bowling). It's an exciting time for a fan - to know that you could be on the edge of something special, that your team can move from being called "giantkillers" to being "genuine competitors". You want your gun players (Ashraful, Aftab, etc) to deliver on a consistent basis, match in, match out - the way that guys like Ponting, Sangakkara, Pietersen and Bond do so. That's when you'll hit the next level.

I meant no disrespect with this post as I'm genuinely happy for your successes. Just keep your feet on the ground.

Last edited by OZGOD; April 9, 2007 at 01:25 AM..
Old April 9, 2007, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZGOD
Whoa, ........
....I meant no disrespect with this post as I'm genuinely happy for your successes. Just keep your feet on the ground.
Thanks OZGOD, very apt advice you've given us fans. Its sometimes disconcerting how swept away we fans become, and lose touch with reality. We still have 3 matches to go in the Super 8s... we should take them one at a time. We'll always lack something or the other, and undoubtedly our team will have to take corrective measures. As true fans, we should always give our team that latitude without elevating them to a position from where there's nowhere to go but down.
Old April 9, 2007, 01:57 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahriar Nafees

Yeah nice thing to feel this way.. and indeed we have a good team..or else beating south africa is not like eating a choco bar!! Mistakes does happen from their side..but you got to have the capable players to gain from those mistakes..so yeah ofcourse we have a good team..But we should also remember ..this good team can only get better if they perform constantly.
Old April 9, 2007, 02:19 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Whoa, keep your feet on the ground mate. Manage your expectations. You have the nucleus of what could be a very competitive side, in the one-day arena at least. Now what you need is consistency and mental focus, and a killer instinct.
My sentiments exactly.
Old April 9, 2007, 02:55 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mullah, Fizz, SS

we have a very good team when we are in form,a very poor team when we are not in form.nothing in between.
Junior
Old April 9, 2007, 05:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

Quote:
Whoa, keep your feet on the ground mate. Manage your expectations. You have the nucleus of what could be a very competitive side, in the one-day arena at least. Now what you need is consistency and mental focus, and a killer instinct. I feel the SA match, more than the India match, was a watermark for your side - because a) SA were ranked No1 when you beat them; b) the win happened AFTER your win with India and after some poor results in between; and c) this was a big Super 8 clash. It showed that Bangladesh didn't fall in a heap mentally after heavy losses to NZ and OZ and were able to bounce back.

With every Bangladesh victory will come raised expectation levels from a long-suffering fanbase. But try and be fair to your team, and be realistic about your assessment of where the team is right now. Don't call them the best now and then hammer them if they lose to England, WI or Ireland. You end with with the yoyo effect - the team is the best if they win, and rubbish if they lose. Just a few days ago people in Dhaka were apparently burning effigies of Bashar, now they're praising him to the skies.

You can enjoy the successes of your side without placing them up on pedestals by calling them "the best this" or "the best that" or whatever. Be happy that you have what appears to be something special, which even better is a work in progress, with lots of areas for improvement, without putting undue pressure on the team and yourselves as fans (even as an OZ fan I feel our team is far from a great team - it's a decent team, with a couple of genuine stars in Ponting and McGrath but with some average performers in key areas, mainly our bowling). It's an exciting time for a fan - to know that you could be on the edge of something special, that your team can move from being called "giantkillers" to being "genuine competitors". You want your gun players (Ashraful, Aftab, etc) to deliver on a consistent basis, match in, match out - the way that guys like Ponting, Sangakkara, Pietersen and Bond do so. That's when you'll hit the next level.

I meant no disrespect with this post as I'm genuinely happy for your successes. Just keep your feet on the ground.
I guess I agree on what you say about keeping the feets on the ground and not bashing the team when they lose. Our team may look ordinary but when they play together in a unit and go for the kill I guess they are a bit more than that. Like I said, it's just the beginning of the journey, I expect very little from the team in this world cup (my signature says it all )but my expectation from the future is BIG. And our youngsters have given us that hope for the future. About the consistency part, you are right I guess, we are a bit inconsistent, but that adds the spice to our victories, coz you never will never knwo when they will win and you are never sure when they are going to lose
Old April 9, 2007, 06:05 AM
ODI Cricketer

But we have to concentrate and win against Eng , West Indies and Ire great test but we CAN DO IT !!!! we have to be consistent can you imagine us in the Semi's mother of all dreams !!
Old April 9, 2007, 07:05 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanvir_nus
This is far by the best Bangladeshi team ever to have played cricket.
I don't think so. Compared to the number of ODIs played and the assistance that the current team is getting both in terms of money and assistance from coaching, this team is not the best Bangladeshi team, yet.

For example, I have not seen this very young team to throw and getting opposition batsman run out consistently. A few of our players miss lots of opportunities in the field.

In my mind, the World Cup 1999 team is the best Bangladeshi team, considering most of them (the senior players) were above 30 at the time, they had a great player (but not a great-enough coach) at their disposal. They were experienced in terms of playing cricket at the ICC level, but the current team is much more experienced in terms of playing cricket at the International level.

I would say our current team to be the best Bangladeshi team if we can manage to go to the Semifinal, beating ENG, Ireland and WI.

However, that doesn't mean that I am underestimating our own team in any regard. So far, they have done their best. Remember, Tamim, Saquib, Mushfique have very little experience in terms of playing cricket at the Limited Overs matches - both in number of International and domestic matches. Ashraful, Aftab, Mashrafee may have vast experience in ODIs, but they, too, have very limited experience in domestic cricket.
Old April 9, 2007, 07:42 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

fwullah,

you are one tough sister to please, arn't you?

There is a living day-light between this crop of players and that of 1999!

Wake up and smell the mirzapore cha!
Old April 9, 2007, 07:49 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tareq Aziz

Azaira Posts korben na.

We all know we have a good team.
Old April 9, 2007, 07:54 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

fwullah are you out of your mind. jesus wake up and smell the coffee if you dont like the tea.
Old April 9, 2007, 08:12 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib,Tamim, Mashrafe

Bangladesh has to score 250+...... they have to get early break thorugh...they need to field tigly......... they did against SA they won,if they are consistent in doing that..they can beat any team.. thats the simple rule.
Old April 9, 2007, 09:06 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
fwullah,

you are one tough sister to please, arn't you?

There is a living day-light between this crop of players and that of 1999!

Wake up and smell the mirzapore cha!
Exactly - there's a living day-light between this crop of players and that of 1999.

In 1999, our expectation was to beat Scotland only, and we exceeded that by beating Pakistan back in '99. We were also beaten a few times against Kenya back then before that World Cup. The players who played in that wold cup, their dream was to win the ICC Champions trophy when those players started playing cricket and perhaps play in the World Cup.

Compared to that, Saquib, Aftab, Rahim - (apart from Ashraful, who started playing cricket back in '95 to '97) their dream is to win the World Cup (someday) when they started playing cricket, and expectation for this particular World Cup was obviously to go to the Super 8s, which they accomplished.

Back to the point - there IS living day light between those and these players. And that is the point. In 1999, staying fit was the main issue for our players. And fitness, fielding - these were not a regular practice for Bangladesh team back then. Now it is.

In addition, this time, it is our motto to prove ourselves that we're not the minnows anymore. And also that beating India, and then South Africa - its not an upset - that's what we are trying to prove (to others) this time.
Old April 9, 2007, 09:40 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

^^
Old April 9, 2007, 10:46 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwullah
I don't think so. Compared to the number of ODIs played and the assistance that the current team is getting both in terms of money and assistance from coaching, this team is not the best Bangladeshi team, yet.

For example, I have not seen this very young team to throw and getting opposition batsman run out consistently. A few of our players miss lots of opportunities in the field.

In my mind, the World Cup 1999 team is the best Bangladeshi team, considering most of them (the senior players) were above 30 at the time, they had a great player (but not a great-enough coach) at their disposal. They were experienced in terms of playing cricket at the ICC level, but the current team is much more experienced in terms of playing cricket at the International level.
Laughable.
This is the best Bangladeshi cricket team ever, period.
Old April 9, 2007, 11:02 AM
ODI Cricketer

b'desh's bowling and fielding is just superb. i can't believe they improved so much.

but in batting, we need an in-form nafees to assist tamim in the opening. aftab and ash need more selection and maybe more experience. sakib is great but he could develop few more shots. i think he's really dependent on the sweep against the spinners. bashar i don't know. he seems to have forgotten how to bat and it's unlikely he will reach int'l level again. mushfiq too early to tell. and mortaza NEEDS to be trained in batting. he has so much potential that it's a waste to bat him down at no 8. only with a very strong batting line-up can we win the next world cups.
Old April 9, 2007, 11:27 AM
Cricket Legend

One great thing happened for Bangladesh is that we have qualified for the next world cup and so did all the other teams in the super8. India and Pakistan has play and qualify for next world cup.

Yes, Bangladesh batting is still a nightmare, their shot selection and failure to build partnership and strike rotation is just what is causing us to fail in most of our matches. The ability to guide the ball towards specific location or clear the ball away from the fielders is still not accomplished and thus our batsmen go for uncalled shots and throw away wkt.
Old April 9, 2007, 11:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Quote:
Exactly - there's a living day-light between this crop of players and that of 1999.

In 1999, our expectation was to beat Scotland only, and we exceeded that by beating Pakistan back in '99. We were also beaten a few times against Kenya back then before that World Cup. The players who played in that wold cup, their dream was to win the ICC Champions trophy when those players started playing cricket and perhaps play in the World Cup.

Compared to that, Saquib, Aftab, Rahim - (apart from Ashraful, who started playing cricket back in '95 to '97) their dream is to win the World Cup (someday) when they started playing cricket, and expectation for this particular World Cup was obviously to go to the Super 8s, which they accomplished.

Back to the point - there IS living day light between those and these players. And that is the point. In 1999, staying fit was the main issue for our players. And fitness, fielding - these were not a regular practice for Bangladesh team back then. Now it is.

In addition, this time, it is our motto to prove ourselves that we're not the minnows anymore. And also that beating India, and then South Africa - its not an upset - that's what we are trying to prove (to others) this time.
You are contradicting your self big time SISTahhhhhh!!!!

First you said ‘99 team was better because they played better and went beyond our expectation. Then you said that they did not have the same budget, facilities or help from all quarters like this current team does. You also said that ’99 team’s main concern was just to stay fit and fielding was not the main concern which invariably means that the current team are fitter then their old bros and this team’s fielding is much better because of the way they practice it. I hope you know we are not discussing why this current team is better, we are just saying it is.

The only thing this team lacks is the average age and some domestic experience which cannot be determinant factors when we know how much our domestic cricket sucks. Come to think of it, the domestic experience all those players had in the ’99 team, did not count for nothing as back then our DC sucked even more with only two teams playing for the glory with hired help from India and Pakistan. What ever the cause, this WC squad is better then any we’ve had in our limited history. Even the players of the ‘99 team, Farukh bhai (personal conversation), Akram Khan, Athar Ali believe that these new breed of cricketers are superior in skills and mental strength needless to say physical fitness. If they are willing to admit that why aren’t you? Now if you are nostalgic and one of those people who think old is gold (though platinum is is in business) then that’s a different case.

Last edited by betaar; April 9, 2007 at 11:35 AM..
Old April 9, 2007, 11:38 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

why we have these thread after one or two wins. please...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old April 9, 2007, 12:22 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:

And what was your expectation for 2007 WC? Do you want me to dig up some threads? I recall beating Bermuda and getting bashed by India and SL. Did they exceed your expectation? At what degree? Now compare!!
Old April 9, 2007, 09:20 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: AC Gilchrist

Do any of the Bangladeshis play county cricket or cricket overseas (either in OZ or SA)? That kind of experience can be invaluable to young players, because a) they get the opportunity to play with and against players from different cultures; and b) they learn to play on different surfaces; and c) they build mental strength from playing tough matches inside out.

After this great run through the WC, I'm sure a few county teams might come knocking on the door.
Old April 9, 2007, 09:35 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

We had some young ones playing in AUS. And ash went to a club in ENgland last year..
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled