facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old October 1, 2010, 07:26 AM
Street Cricketer

Default Internet in Bangladesh

This is for BC'ers who live in BD. I'd like to know and discuss about what ISP you use. I perssonally use the BTCL 512kb/s unlimited DSL. I'm very satisfied with it, I get a constant 64kB/s, 24 hours, and so far I have had only 1 day of downtime, for the 6-7 months I've been using it. I pay 1500Tk/month.

Before that I used to use the local 'fraudband' supplied by the 'changra polas' of the local cybercafe, paid 1000Tk/month for a speed of around 30kB/s, and the line would be down for around 10days out of every month, on average. They would never be available to fix it, having switched off their mobiles.

So, what ISP do you use?

Old October 1, 2010, 08:19 AM

I use Agni fiber to the home. Tk.1500 per month incl VAT. I get 512kbps during working hours, and 720 kbps from 8 pm till 8 am. However there's a monthly cap of 6GB upload and 6GB download, after which the speed will be restricted to 64kbps.
Old October 1, 2010, 08:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All the Tigers

well, i use smile(bd.com). I pay 1070 incl vat for 512 kbps(shared,get around 30KB/s). I only use it because of its own torrent site. Anything i need to download i get it from there with speed over 700 kBps. Its still slow if i consider download speed provided by other isps' lan server but the contents on that torrent site is huge.
Old October 1, 2010, 08:38 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Good thread. I was looking forward for these infos.

I'm using GP. Now a days absolutely rubbish. Thinking about Qbee now a days as I use 1 laptop and a PC, I want to have net connections for both of them. Any suggestion on that?

I'm also planing for my office net connections. I've 3 PCs there. Guys can you suggest on that too?
Old October 1, 2010, 08:50 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntu

I'm using GP. Now a days absolutely rubbish. Thinking about Qbee now a days as I use 1 laptop and a PC, I want to have net connections for both of them. Any suggestion on that?

I'm also planing for my office net connections. I've 3 PCs there. Guys can you suggest on that too?
Qubee doesn't offer a USB dongle, only an indoor unit. So you would not be able to use your laptop's internet outside the house, which IMHO takes away the advantage of having a laptop. You would only be able to use your laptop and computer connected by Ethernet with your Wimax modem. Banglalion, on the other hand, offer a USB dongle, which you can plug into your laptop anywhere, where there is Banglalion coverage.

I don't know if you can use a generic WiMax USB dongle with qubee or banglalion. Since Wimax is a standard, you should be able to, but I haven't tried it myself so can't advise you.

For your office connections, you might want to choose a professional ISP. My brother-in-law's office uses a 3Mbps BTCL fiber optic link. But its expensive.
Old October 1, 2010, 09:47 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

i am using BTCL ADSL 1Mbps unlimited. its costs 2250 TK per month

i get DL speed about 120kBps. i have also installed a LINKSYS wireless Router so i share this line at home PC and 3 laptops of me, mt sis and my father.

besides when i go outside of DHAKA i use GP EDGE.
Old October 1, 2010, 09:50 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke
Qubee doesn't offer a USB dongle, only an indoor unit. So you would not be able to use your laptop's internet outside the house, which IMHO takes away the advantage of having a laptop. You would only be able to use your laptop and computer connected by Ethernet with your Wimax modem. Banglalion, on the other hand, offer a USB dongle, which you can plug into your laptop anywhere, where there is Banglalion coverage.

I don't know if you can use a generic WiMax USB dongle with qubee or banglalion. Since Wimax is a standard, you should be able to, but I haven't tried it myself so can't advise you.

For your office connections, you might want to choose a professional ISP. My brother-in-law's office uses a 3Mbps BTCL fiber optic link. But its expensive.
i think qubee is currently offering USB dongles.

check the link http://www.qubee.com.bd/get-qubee/devices
Old October 1, 2010, 09:53 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:

check the packages of Qubee and Banglalion and also BTCL ADSL if u have a BTCL ( formerTNT) land Phone. jodio apnader area er TNT er tar, box and exchange er upore ADSL er connection er speed vary kore. apnader area te kee obostha ektu investigate kore nite hobe

office e tnt phone thakle BTCL ADSL nite paren. sathe ekta router lagay pura office share korte parben.

tnt na thakle then qubee or banglalink dekhen.
Old October 1, 2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
as I use 1 laptop and a PC, I want to have net connections for both of them. Any suggestion on that?
Depending on how much you want to spend on internet bill, and what you use it for. I would suggest getting a land line for the home, especially if you skype and do voice calls, and buying a Tk3000 wi-fi/wireless router so that you can share both pc and laptop with that 1 internet connection. Laptops have built in wireless, and pc can use the ethernet cable from the wi-fi router.

Quote:
Same suggestion, get a landline connection if you need to use voice calls/skype and a router to split between the pcs.

The reason I suggest land lines like BTCL or Agni is because through WiMax, the latency between your pc and their base station is large, and voice calls/ video calls continually drop. Whereas by land lines, latency (ping response) is much faster, allowing for smooth connection for voice and video.
Old October 1, 2010, 03:41 PM
BC Editorial Team

What would you recommend for someone who's going to Dhaka for two weeks and will likely have 1-2 laptops (me, wife) to be used for work purposes?

Qbee with dongle or Grameen card?
Old October 1, 2010, 04:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All the Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
What would you recommend for someone who's going to Dhaka for two weeks and will likely have 1-2 laptops (me, wife) to be used for work purposes?

Qbee, GP EDGE(15~20 kBps) will be annoying for anyone who is used to faster net speed.
Old October 1, 2010, 05:06 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

@RazabQ buy a grameen edge modem for about 3000 taka or use pc suite. I asked same question back in January. Got a very helpful information from Nocturnal. I hope you will find it helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
Is it possible to connect to internet using nokia pc suite in Bangladesh?

If not what is the best way to get mobile internet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
The best way to get internet anywhere in BD IMO:

1. Buy a Grameen Phone (GP) Pre-paid Sim for tk 150 from any GP center. You can also buy it from your "Parar mobile dokan" for around 200 tk.
2. Now if you wanna use internet in your mobile then just send "activate internet SMS" from the below or call 121 and ask them to activate it for you and will get instruction how to enable it in your set. it's super Easy.
3. Now if you wanna use it in your laptop- you still need to send "activate internet SMS" or call 121 and ask them to activate it for you - Now you need a EDGE Modem and which you can buy it from Elephant road (tk 3000 around) or use your Nokia phone as a EDGE modem (need nokia pc suite software).

Useful things to know:
Monthly internet Package -
P5 ----> 3GB/ month - 810 tk
- P6 -----> 1GB - 350 tk ---------> I normally use this, not much download, just regular use 24/7- enough!
Usage Check SMS: *566*10#
GP 24/7 Customer Care# 121 (from any GP number)
To activate internet SMS:
P5 >> send >> 5000
P6>>send>>5000
Billing Cycle: 30 days
Sylhet does not have the best coverage but I was able to get 250kb using edge and 450kb using Nokia PC suite.
Old October 1, 2010, 08:58 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ

just for fun .... i suggest you buy a 512 kpbs Banglalion wimax with Usb dongle, pay 6 months bill in advance and when go back u hand it over to me.
Old October 2, 2010, 12:59 AM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Razab bhai - as Mo bhai said you can use the GP edge connection. Easy and you can use it anywhere. slow though! If you happen to buy edge modem - save it for your next trip!
Old October 2, 2010, 01:24 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Sagar bhai, can you please a give me a bit more info about BTCL ADSL ?
Tk 2250 unlimited for 1 Mbps sounds a good deal.
How is there service? Do you get uninterrupted service round the clock??
Do BTCL even have a "customer service" dept where u can call and lodge ur complain if u r, for some reason, disconnected or experiencing problems??
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old October 2, 2010, 03:41 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
Sagar bhai, can you please a give me a bit more info about BTCL ADSL ?
Tk 2250 unlimited for 1 Mbps sounds a good deal.
How is there service? Do you get uninterrupted service round the clock??
Do BTCL even have a "customer service" dept where u can call and lodge ur complain if u r, for some reason, disconnected or experiencing problems??
ok rabiul bhai.

BTCL ADSL is actually a joint venture of BTCL and EMEM SYSTEMS. EMEM SYSTEMS is responsible for sales and service. so far i havent experienced any problems but i heard from others that EMEM sysytems is very efficient in customer service. a phone call and they give quick service.

to get an ADSL connection first of all u must have a BTCL land phone line. also a good noise free line is essential. this depends on how far ur local TNT BOX is from ur home and how far ur exchange is from the box and also how good the wire is and if there is fewer joints in the wire. IF U R LUCKY with all these factors then u will get a very good connection. u have to contact others users in ur area to find out how good the line is in ur area.

as far as i remember it takes 400 tk as subscription fee. and 2500-3200 for the modem provided by EMEM. u can also opt to by a modem or modem+router by ur choice. after submitting ur application TNT will first check ur line and may make some repairs in ur line and then give EMEM system the clearance. it takes 7 days in this process. then when EMEM gets the green signal, they will do the rest of the work in 2 days. anyway if u have connection with an EXECUTIVE ENGINEER of local TNT exchange the process of 7 days can be done in 2 days and also any necessary rectification needed to improve ur telephone line.

also initially u may experience some problem with the stability of the ADSL signal but it becomes OK in 10-15 days.

also one technical fact that a lot of ppl asked me . U WILL USE THE SAME WIRE OF UR TELEPHONE FOR THE BROAD BAND AND U CAN USE BOTH AT THE SAME TIME WITHOUT ANY INTERRUPTION.

for more info
http://www.bcube.net.bd/
Old October 2, 2010, 04:11 AM
Cricket Legend
ICC WT20 2016 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

You guys can test your internet speed here in speedtest.net, and can share your speed by the image link of your result, here is mine below:

Old October 2, 2010, 05:26 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Thanks a lot Sagar bhai.
I did actually checked that website u'v mentioned after i posted here and its great to hear from an user cuz that gives me a better picture.

Now im seriously seriously thinking of taking the BTCL line. My nearest TNT Exchange is at Moghbazar, so very very close from my home, so i guess thats also another positive points.

I'll give ya call later on if i needed to ask anything more.
Thanks heaps again.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old October 2, 2010, 07:19 AM
Cricket Savant

Last edited by al-Sagar; October 2, 2010 at 07:25 AM..
Old October 2, 2010, 10:03 AM
Cricket Legend
ICC WT20 2016 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Old October 2, 2010, 10:40 AM

Since everyone's doing the "my internet p***s is bigger than yours" thing, here's mine...

for comparison's sake speedtest.net's dhaka server is alright; but a truly representative result will come if we were to choose a server in the US.
Old October 2, 2010, 10:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Last edited by iDumb; October 2, 2010 at 10:50 AM..
Old October 2, 2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
I have a big schlong
Doesn't count. You're not in BD. For purposes of this discussion, your internet is impotent.
Old October 2, 2010, 10:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
Since everyone's doing the "my internet p***s is bigger than yours" thing....
bigger is not always better :p
Old October 2, 2010, 02:29 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Thanks a lot for the great informations and suggestions from you guys. This is the power of BC.
I'm convinced by the idea of BTCL line for both home and office use. But Ammar's Agni's report is showing that is faster!

This is my 'Lotha GP's result:

Last edited by auntu; October 2, 2010 at 02:49 PM..