facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 8, 2007, 04:18 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mohammed Asif
Thumbs up Reasons we won...

What a good team does when it wins is analyse the reasons why they have won. I have read that the Australians always have a team meeting after their team have achieved a victory to find out the REASONS they have won, thus putting these reasons into action, and making these actions a habit. A team like Bangladesh and any other team needs to do the same.

Reasone we won:

1 - Opening partnership - 42 runs partnership, the best ever against the South Africans. Maybe it took more time than it should have (13.4 overs) but still the team got a start and a defendable target was achieved at the end of the day. {Here I dont want to start if it should be JO or SN opening and we could have scored more runs etc..} What I want to say is the opening platform was given, new ball was seen off, the moisture (small amount of it) ws gone...and the pitch was now good to bat on.

2 - Partnerships - 76 run partnership between Asharaful/Aftab. The saviour and one of the main reasons we won is because of this beautiful partnership. And this beautiful partnership gave birth to another partnership between Ashraful/Mashrafe of 54 runs which came in quick time and took us to a defendable total.

3 - Quick wicket/s - Rasel did the job this time. One quick wicket and suddenly the team gets the first hint of a victory. It goes like we have taken one, why cant we take others? Mashrafe bowled well too, though didnt get a wicket. His first 6 overs went for less than 4 an over.

4 - RRR - Read it anyhow you want. Required Run Rate or Rafique/Razzak/Rasel. These 3 bowlers not only picked up wickets but also kept the pressure on, rarely bowling loose deliveries which in turn increased the RRR.

5 - Saqibul Hasan - The mainstay of our batting usually, but on this day he didnt score much. His 10 overs for 49 and picking up 2 wickets in 2 balls were of utmost importance. Bangladesh has only 5 bowlers in the team currently and all of them have to bowl to the best of their ability. Thankfully they did so especially Saqibul who is not as experienced as the other 4 but yet did a good job.

6 - Fielding. Two run outs. Catches were taken. Singles werent been given. Ball wasnt allowed to clear the inner ring. More than 12 overs without a boundary ! All of this due to good fielding. This is what lifts the team up. Young legs - this is one thing we expect the tigers to do consistently. Field well even when the going is not easy, and suddenly a great catch, a run out, something out of the box will pop out and the team will sense victory.

7 - Keep wickets in hand. The last 7 overs brought 70 runs. The SUPERB advantage of keeping wickets in hand.

8 - Team effort - Bangladesh is an imporving side and to beat other teams we should always play as a team. Good bowling should be backed up by good batting and vice versa.

These are the reasons we won (there can be more, to me though these are the main). If you notice 7 out of the 8 reasons have been achieved against India too. Except for the opening partnership we did all the reast perfectly and India found it hard. Against South Africa we have done it now. We are improving and it doest matter who calls us underdogs/minnows. As long as we play well everything else is secondary.

There are other reasons too like individual brilliance (Ashrafuls knock against SA, Tamim against India, Mashrafes 4 against India). But theses keep changing in every other match. Do these consistently. Keep simple things simple. You dont need to do anything outrageous and then get out. Best of luck to Bangladesh. They have given us reasons to celebrate, please dont stop giving us the reasons to keep on clebrating.

Old April 8, 2007, 04:34 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahriar Nafees

Well..special performances changing for matches.. also shows that we just dont depend on 1 performer!! I mean its just not tamim who can give a start and win the match..its just sakib who plays good..its just not mashrafe who takes wickets at first.. so good thing..eh
Old April 8, 2007, 04:37 AM
Street Cricketer

the reason Bangladesh won comes down simply to 2 words "Self Belief"
Old April 8, 2007, 04:37 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

in a single line... for batting.. Ash made the differnce. So just take match winners in the team, the more match winners are there, the more probaility that we can have good total. Aftab and Mash actually did what they usually do... a quick fire frrom Mash and a useful cameo from Aftab.. dont take the players who lack the ability.
For bowling... early wickets always uplift us.. specially if our opening pacers can grab one or couple of wickets, our filelding even gets best that day.
Old April 8, 2007, 04:39 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protic
Well..special performances changing for matches.. also shows that we just dont depend on 1 performer!! I mean its just not tamim who can give a start and win the match..its just sakib who plays good..its just not mashrafe who takes wickets at first.. so good thing..eh
ya...its good to see not depending on 1 performer.. thats why we have to take more performers to make it more proable that one of them will shine.
Old April 8, 2007, 05:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Definitely it was the herroic batting by ashrful by some superb support of Aftab and Mashrafi. However, we don't have much time to discuss past at this level. Take the goodies, correct the mistakes, look forward and stay focused. We still have task to do. Having said that, this win was definitely one of the very colorfull feather in the crown of BD cricket history. Obviously, many more to be added!
Old April 8, 2007, 12:38 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumon77
in a single line... for batting.. Ash made the differnce. So just take match winners in the team, the more match winners are there, the more probaility that we can have good total. Aftab and Mash actually did what they usually do... a quick fire frrom Mash and a useful cameo from Aftab.. dont take the players who lack the ability.
For bowling... early wickets always uplift us.. specially if our opening pacers can grab one or couple of wickets, our filelding even gets best that day.
Did you go through the South African line up?? Which of them is not a match winner? Cricket is a team game. Mtach winners will keep changing. Different matches are won by different players. But keep the reasons. They help u in winning. Ask India, South Africa and Australia(Cardiff) - Match winners at the end of the day wont help the team !
Old April 8, 2007, 02:56 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Reasons we won:

1. and that is the most important one: the pitch helped spin. We had 3 SLAs and SA did not have any spinners. That made all the differences.
2. Quick fire at the end: Ash, Aftab and Mash deserves all the credit.
3. JO gets out early. If he was there for 5 more overs, the game would be lost.
Old April 8, 2007, 03:05 PM
Banned

Excellent post Yasin Bhai.

I cannot disagree with anything you say and your knowledge of cricket is far superior to mine.

I would just like to add that also.

1. I think South Africa underestimated us and thought it would be an easy victory.

2. The BD players were mentally the same as they were before they played India, not so edgy and nervous with expectations on them to perform well. They were mentally freer and so this manifested itself in their play.
Old April 8, 2007, 07:10 PM
Cricket Legend
WC 2015 Fantasy Winner

Because we are tigers and i read in school tiger only hunt when they are hungry.
Old April 8, 2007, 07:11 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

we won because we played better. we are a good team, bit inconsistent but everything went right , condition favored us. we couldn't hope for a better pitch. pitch had little turn and we capitalized on that. south african batsman didn't have any chance against our 3 SLAs. god bless our SLAs
Old April 8, 2007, 07:12 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

We won because we had self belief and exploited the conditions to our advantage.
Old April 8, 2007, 07:16 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Knockout_U
Because we are tigers and i read in school tiger only hunt when they are hungry.
too bad our tigers don't get hungry so often.

when i was a kid, i didn't get hungry so i used to given some sort of medicine. i think that worked. that medicine could be tested on our tigers too
Old April 9, 2007, 05:02 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAsif
Excellent post Yasin Bhai.

I cannot disagree with anything you say and your knowledge of cricket is far superior to mine.

I would just like to add that also.

1. I think South Africa underestimated us and thought it would be an easy victory.

2. The BD players were mentally the same as they were before they played India, not so edgy and nervous with expectations on them to perform well. They were mentally freer and so this manifested itself in their play.
Thanks bro. Though i dont agree that my cricket knowledge is superior to yours. We are all in the same boat. Yeh South Africa did underestimate us. Smith was talking about increasing their run rate in the Bangladesh game...heck they didnt even get the 2 points they needed.

Mentally Bangladesh were strong. Yeh agree ! Bangladesh plaers shouldnt put pressure on themselves. Play their natural game. PLay the way Tigers play.
Old April 9, 2007, 05:05 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovik
we won because we played better. we are a good team, bit inconsistent but everything went right , condition favored us. we couldn't hope for a better pitch. pitch had little turn and we capitalized on that. south african batsman didn't have any chance against our 3 SLAs. god bless our SLAs
God bless our 3 SLAs and the curator of the pitch
Old April 9, 2007, 05:16 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasin
Did you go through the South African line up?? Which of them is not a match winner? Cricket is a team game. Mtach winners will keep changing. Different matches are won by different players. But keep the reasons. They help u in winning. Ask India, South Africa and Australia(Cardiff) - Match winners at the end of the day wont help the team !
i agree with that match winners will keep changing. thats why i dont expect Ash to win every game for us. so we need to keep more match winners in the team and hope that 1 or 2 of them will click. now u will agree with me that all of them in the are not able to make a difference even if its his day. u will get a hint from rubu's post.
Old April 9, 2007, 05:18 AM
Test Cricketer

also to add... next 3 games, we wont get that much help from the pitch..so we better careful to chose batsmen, who can REALLY contribute something.
Old April 9, 2007, 01:55 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumon77
i agree with that match winners will keep changing. thats why i dont expect Ash to win every game for us. so we need to keep more match winners in the team and hope that 1 or 2 of them will click. now u will agree with me that all of them in the are not able to make a difference even if its his day. u will get a hint from rubu's post.
yeh..true.. but then it isnt easy to get proven match winners... but if u play as a team, and everyone contributes anything can happen... also not all our batsmen are at that stage where they can dominate bowlers easily... thats why we need to build partnerships... it will go a long way in helping the team.,.
Old April 9, 2007, 03:02 PM

And Fielding, Fielding.... Fielding. It takes fielders to strangle a team... and cause two superb runouts
Old April 9, 2007, 03:11 PM
Club Cricketer

The Pitch
Old April 9, 2007, 03:19 PM
Test Cricketer

We all know why we won. But there are also some factors which could have cost us the game. I dont intend to be a spoilsport. But we would do well to put attention to these lapses before our next game. So, we won inspite of:

1. Bashar's captaincy
a. no slip for Mashrafee with the new ball whizzing past the SA top order?
b. why on earth were all the fielders patrolling the boundary when Pollock and Gibbs were making merry in the middle of the innings?
c. was there really any need to bowl Mashrafe in the 49th over when he could hardly walk let alone bowl?

2. Wobbling top order
'Do not lose wickets in the first 15 overs' does not mean that you will scamper to gift away all your wickets as soon as the 15th over is completed. The whole purpose of preserving wickets is so that you can get set and score a big innings. None of our top four did that against SA. The result was that we were perirously close to another disastrous batting effort. Ofcourse Ashraful had other ideas.
Old April 9, 2007, 03:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Almost every other match the captain has been making big and basic mistakes with the fielding position. The commentators kept saying where is the slip missing, why is there a fielder near silly mid on. Not attacking fielding most of the time for new batsmen.

With the bat even when we win we gift our wkts without any pressure. And when they get out the players themselves feel disgusted with what they have done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaring tigerz
We all know why we won. But there are also some factors which could have cost us the game. I dont intend to be a spoilsport. But we would do well to put attention to these lapses before our next game. So, we won inspite of:

1. Bashar's captaincy
a. no slip for Mashrafee with the new ball whizzing past the SA top order?
b. why on earth were all the fielders patrolling the boundary when Pollock and Gibbs were making merry in the middle of the innings?
c. was there really any need to bowl Mashrafe in the 49th over when he could hardly walk let alone bowl?

2. Wobbling top order
'Do not lose wickets in the first 15 overs' does not mean that you will scamper to gift away all your wickets as soon as the 15th over is completed. The whole purpose of preserving wickets is so that you can get set and score a big innings. None of our top four did that against SA. The result was that we were perirously close to another disastrous batting effort. Ofcourse Ashraful had other ideas.
Old April 10, 2007, 03:02 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mullah, Fizz, SS

the reason we won was that we played very well and thus we deserved it.
Junior
Old April 10, 2007, 06:54 AM
Club Cricketer

We won the match because,

1. JO was out at last before all the bowlers were set and found rhythm.
2. Habla placed at 3 and was out of the business before we started to cruise along the innings. Had he been in the middle order, he would cut the flow of the innings just like he did in NZ match.
3. Taposh was injured and we were free from him, and could pick Rasel Without hesitation.
Old April 10, 2007, 08:55 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovik
too bad our tigers don't get hungry so often.

when i was a kid, i didn't get hungry so i used to given some sort of medicine. i think that worked. that medicine could be tested on our tigers too
Good Point ...

Only with risk of making them hungry for 'Murgir Run' than for Run we expect.