facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 18, 2008, 11:21 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default Quota controversy in South Africa cricket continues

Charl Langeveldt Released From Proteas Test Squad

18 March 2008

Charl Langeveldt Released From Proteas Test Squad
Not going to India: Charl Langeveldt.
©REUTERS/Siphiwe Sibeko (SOUTH AFRICA) Picture Supplied by Action Images

Cricket South Africa (CSA) on Tuesday released fast bowler Charl Langeveldt at his request from the Proteas squad for the three-Test tour to India from March 21.

This was announced by CSA CEO Gerald Majola, who said in a statement: “Charl Langeveldt called me today in an emotional state saying he wanted to withdraw from the tour to India so that he can consider his international future in the right frame of mind.

“He said that the public controversy over the selection of the Proteas team to tour India had upset him to the extent that he would not be in the right frame of mind to tour India and do his best for the Proteas.

“Charl said he wanted to use this time instead to consider his future in international cricket in a cool and calm manner.

“I discussed the matter with the Convenor of Selectors, Joubert Strydom, and he has acceded to Charl’s request. He has been withdrawn from the touring party, and the selectors are considering a replacement.

“I have assured Charl that he is very much in the Proteas’ plans, and is regarded as one of our best fast bowlers in both ODI and Test cricket.

“We will have in-depth discussions with him, and hopefully he will continue to be available for international selection.”

© Cricket South Africa

From CrickeWorld

Old March 18, 2008, 11:30 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

From Cricinfo>>

Charl Langeveldt, the South Africa fast bowler, has opted out of the Test series in India beginning next week, saying the controversy over the selection of the squad so upset him he feels he won't be in the right frame of mind for the matches.
Langeveldt was picked ahead of Andre Nel in the 14-man squad for the three-Test series, a move seen by many as pandering to Cricket South Africa's transformation policy. Nel was reportedly disappointed after his exclusion, and there was speculation over his future with South Africa.
Gerald Majola, the CSA chief executive, said Joubert Strydom, the convenor of selectors, had accepted Langeveldt's request to withdraw from the touring party, and that the selectors were considering a replacement.
"Charl Langeveldt called me today in an emotional state saying he wanted to withdraw from the tour of India so that he can consider his international future in the right frame of mind," Majola said. "He said that the public controversy over the selection of the Proteas team to tour India had upset him to the extent that he would not be in the right frame of mind to tour India and do his best."
"Charl said he wanted to use this time instead to consider his future in international cricket in a cool and calm manner.
"I have assured Charl that he is very much in the plans, and is regarded as one of our best fast bowlers in both ODI and Test cricket.
"We will have in-depth discussions with him, and hopefully he will continue to be available for international selection."
No replacement has been named as yet for Langeveldt in the squad, which arrives in India later this week.
Old March 18, 2008, 08:35 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

So what is RSA Board upto? To create a much improved ZIMBABWE side.
Old March 19, 2008, 08:18 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

SACA fears South Africa may lose Nel and Langeveldt

South Africa Cricket Association (SACA) chief executive Tony Irish said South Africa could lose two of its premier fast bowlers, Charl Langeveldt and Andre Nel, because of political interference in selection.

"Charl Langeveldt's request to be removed from the squad to tour India is the desperate unhappiness of a player who knows that he has been selected for this tour for quota reasons," he said.

Langeveldt, absent from the Test side since early 2006, replaced Nel, who took 13 wickets at 26.23 in the three Tests against West Indies earlier this year, under Cricket South Africa's transformation policy, which mandates at least six players of colour in a 14-man squad.

"As players we all have a good idea of when we are clearly in the running for selection and when we aren't," Langeveldt said. "You just have to look at Andre's Test record compared to mine and the fact that he has been part of all the Test match plans while I haven't played a Test match for two years.

"I have always fought for a place in the team but I don't want to be put there because of my colour. Up to now I have been very happy in my role in the ODI team and I know my value there. I'm quite upset by this now and I'm going to need a bit of time to consider my future."

Nel also expressed his unhappiness with the situation. "I'm as upset for Langes as I am for myself," he said. "We are good team-mates and I have a lot of respect for him. We are both passionate about playing for South Africa and neither of us deserves to feel like this. It is hard to just shrug it all off."

Irish reiterated SACA's stance that there should be no "veto, interference or involvement in the selection of the Proteas by anyone who is not a selector". "The players believe in the goals of transformation but all of them, black and white, are adamant that this should not be achieved by interfering in the selection of the national team," he said.

No replacement has been named as yet for Langeveldt in the squad, which arrives in India later this week.

© Cricinfo