facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 11, 2018, 12:24 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default Should a team with 4 ICC tournament Quarterfinals appearances still be classed as "minnows"???

from Bangladesh's linkedin page:

2007 WC Super 8s after knocking India out
2007 WT20 Super 8s after knocking West Indies out
2015 WC Quarter-finals after knocking England out (same England is now a powerhouse)
2017 CT Semi-finals after knocking New Zealand out

To add to that, we'd have made the 2011 WC quarterfinals if West Indies had beaten England, making a total of 5.

#OneTeam1Dream

Old July 11, 2018, 12:26 PM
ODI Cricketer

Who is calling Bangladesh minnows though? You guys aren't world beaters but you shouldn't be called minnows either.
Old July 11, 2018, 12:31 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan

To add to that, we'd have made the 2011 WC quarterfinals if West Indies had beaten England, making a total of 5.
Clearly a hypothetical. Doesn't count. Either you make it or not.
Old July 11, 2018, 12:35 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

I think the minnow is associated with the test cricket. No one calls them that in ODIs. T20I was the most vulnerable format for them, but they have come up with some good performances of late (Nihadas Trophy).
Old July 11, 2018, 12:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

Quote:
from Bangladesh's linkedin page:
Wait, why does Bangladesh cricket have a Linkedin page? I thought linkedin was for professionals.
Old July 11, 2018, 12:49 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
Wait, why does Bangladesh cricket have a Linkedin page? I thought linkedin was for professionals.
Yankees uncle, keno na, whay not?
BCB and Bangladesh cricket team also has MuslimShadi.com, BDmatrimoni.com match.com and IMDB profile pages too. Who knows who created them accounts.
Old July 11, 2018, 01:29 PM
Cricket Savant

So what our team has a BDMatrimoni.com page. Our team sucks so bad and a lot of the team members are Lomphuts....so nobody bodroloke taar meye-ke amader team-er kache Biye dibe na. I know I won't. I have two bibaho-upojogi girl cats, I am not sednign to no BD Odhum players house. Amy amar biral-der jibon noshto korba naa! I know beeter!
Old July 11, 2018, 04:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Yes we are mi43ows. The name doesn't bother me.
Old July 11, 2018, 04:07 PM
Cricket Sage

All teams struggle in the first couple tests on tour. India only win the 3rd Test in SA and that was due to a minefield pitch where Pandya becomes as lethal as Rabada. And that’s given how frequently India tours overseas at senior and A team level.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 11, 2018, 04:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

^ No, I definitely agree with you. I am just saying, personally, the name does not bother me one bit. It can be quite appropriate at times. I have no problems it being tied to performance. Meaning when we collapse, we should be called that. But when we do well, we should be and are called more praiseworthy names.
Old July 11, 2018, 04:34 PM
Test Cricketer

What has Bangladesh done in it's 30 years of cricket history to be not termed as a minnow? Absolutely nothing.

Last time when we reached SF in CT, it was purely based on luck. Frankly we should be ashamed of the fact that we have reached the QF instead of AUS who actually humiliated us in the group stage by bundling us out for 180 and were cruising to a victory after 15 overs of their innings.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, just because we've won couple of odd games in world stage( mostly based on luck or individual brilliance) doesn't necessarily mean that we can't be called as a minnow. Honestly we r the only cricket playing nation who has achieved next to nothing even after playing countless no of tests, ODIs and after spending a bucket load of money behind our players.

Remember, even worthless Kenya once reached the semifinal of a WC. And I repeat again that when Kenya went to semifinal of the most prestigious tournament of cricket, they didn't even have a test status.
Old July 11, 2018, 06:13 PM
Cricket Legend

No idea why this thread has been opened now. We ****** suck.
Old July 11, 2018, 06:24 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Porterfield,Mushy,Rogers

Counting Super 8s as QF's is a bit of a stretch lol, in that case Ireland have two appearances.

Bangladesh arent minnows however, least not in Asia, still need to prove themselves outside of it though more consistently.

PS: When are the BCB gonna announce your A squad for your Irish tour next month?
Old July 11, 2018, 09:40 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donal C
Counting Super 8s as QF's is a bit of a stretch lol, in that case Ireland have two appearances.

Bangladesh arent minnows however, least not in Asia, still need to prove themselves outside of it though more consistently.

PS: When are the BCB gonna announce your A squad for your Irish tour next month?
When you promise us you will let us score 100 at least
Old July 11, 2018, 10:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse
What has Bangladesh done in it's 30 years of cricket history to be not termed as a minnow? Absolutely nothing.

Last time when we reached SF in CT, it was purely based on luck. Frankly we should be ashamed of the fact that we have reached the QF instead of AUS who actually humiliated us in the group stage by bundling us out for 180 and were cruising to a victory after 15 overs of their innings.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, just because we've won couple of odd games in world stage( mostly based on luck or individual brilliance) doesn't necessarily mean that we can't be called as a minnow. Honestly we r the only cricket playing nation who has achieved next to nothing even after playing countless no of tests, ODIs and after spending a bucket load of money behind our players.

Remember, even worthless Kenya once reached the semifinal of a WC. And I repeat again that when Kenya went to semifinal of the most prestigious tournament of cricket, they didn't even have a test status.

Those QFs = one match wonder
Old July 11, 2018, 11:53 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:

Thats a fallacy. Kenya only won against 2 major opponents in 2003. Bangladesh did the same in 2007, so thats even stevens. Kenya has fewer WC scalps than Ireland, and Ireland has only 1 quarterfinal appearance, which is 3 less than Bangladesh.

But what is the criteria for minnow status? Is it underachieving relative to some standard. What if Bangladesh had 80% of the cricket players and 50% of the money yet only had 10% of the trophies? Would that be enough underachieving to be classed as a minnow?

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 11, 2018, 11:55 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donal C
Not a strech for cricket. S8s and QFs are both for the final 8 and hence equivalent. My bad I forgot about Ireland in 2009. Ireland do have 2. Thats 1 more than Kenya and even Kenya's were due to forfeitures.

Because then you'd have to say the World Test Championship Final isn't a real final because there is no preceding semi, quarter, or group stage.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 12, 2018, 12:02 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

I distinctly remember a T20 match in 2015 where Bangladesh was playing UAE. if it wasn't for Mahmudullah(the most hated guy in BC) heroics with the bat that particular day, Bangladesh would have likely lost that match as well(the almost same team lost to Hong Kong and other weaker teams in 2014). and Guys, 2015 was our peak year...that was arguably the best year in Bangladesh Cricket History. That match was on home soil. so that should give you some perspective on where Bangladesh Cricket really stands. Bangladesh barely managed 135 in 20 overs against UAE . That should raise lots of alarms....

In order to become a World class team you need every single member of the team to be consistently performing like India or England for example. Bangladesh has good players but they are not consistent. if they are consistent then it is only a 2/3 players who are consistently performing while the rest performs once every 5/6 matches.
Old July 12, 2018, 12:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
I distinctly remember a T20 match in 2015 where Bangladesh was playing UAE. if it wasn't for Mahmudullah(the most hated guy in BC) heroics with the bat that particular day, Bangladesh would have likely lost that match as well(the almost same team lost to Hong Kong and other weaker teams in 2014). and Guys, 2015 was our peak year...that was arguably the best year in Bangladesh Cricket History. That match was on home soil. so that should give you some perspective on where Bangladesh Cricket really stands. Bangladesh barely managed 135 in 20 overs against UAE . That should raise lots of alarms....

In order to become a World class team you need every single member of the team to be consistently performing like India or England for example. Bangladesh has good players but they are not consistent. if they are consistent then it is only a 2/3 players who are consistently performing while the rest performs once every 5/6 matches.
Another spot on observation.

The reality is very simple. Whether a team is good or bad, you can often understand it using common sense and simple naked eye observation.

From my common sense understanding, BD is not a good team at all. BD is a FLUKE team with average and below average players, who rarely wins outside and registers occasional wins on home soil.

But then of course, if you want to deny reality and common sense, then you have to bring mental gymnastics and statistical gymnastics like al Furqan. Not interested in that.

There is a saying in Bangla: Gyani sikhe dekhe, murkho (gadha) sikhe theke.

Etobar thoksi, thoka kaisi, it is time to learn and not be gordhob anymore. I AM NO LONGER DELUDED about BD cricket team. If you are, then per above saying, you are worse than a
Old July 12, 2018, 03:41 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Thats a fallacy. Kenya only won against 2 major opponents in 2003. Bangladesh did the same in 2007, so thats even stevens. Kenya has fewer WC scalps than Ireland, and Ireland has only 1 quarterfinal appearance, which is 3 less than Bangladesh.

But what is the criteria for minnow status? Is it underachieving relative to some standard. What if Bangladesh had 80% of the cricket players and 50% of the money yet only had 10% of the trophies? Would that be enough underachieving to be classed as a minnow?
I really like ur optimistic view Furqaan, I really do. But, it's high time for u to realise that we r a minnow cricket team with little to no achievement in any form of cricket.

Obviously there isn't a definite set of rules based on which u can declare a cricket nation minnow. But if u summarise the achievements of a cricket team, their current ranking, overall win loss ration, no of world class players they currently have at their disposal or had in the past relative to the no of years they have been playing this sport, u'll definitely get an idea.

We have already played over hundreds of tests but it's needless to say that we've lost 90% of them. Don't think there r many test teams in the world which has as pathetic win loss ratio as we have in tests. Even now we regularly lose to associates and 90% of the time get whitewashed by bigger teams. Don't u think based on these above points we can safely say that Bangladedh is still a minnow cricket team filled with mediocre players who aren't fit enough to be in the B team of other test playing nations ?
Old July 12, 2018, 03:57 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

I dont know why this is an issue and why we have to ask ourselves this question now. Yes we are going through a bad period currently but in the last few years we have got results.
Old July 12, 2018, 04:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Not a minnow,especially at home.
Easy to beat away.
Maybe Bangladesh has 2 many foreign tours,a victim of their success.
Old July 12, 2018, 05:50 AM
Cricket Savant

To clarify, BD is NOT ONLY the minnows in world top tier cricket, but also the Mini (as in mini me) as well as still 100% Monu (as in Borishailla speaking)!
Old July 12, 2018, 07:51 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Quote:
That's not fair. They got their full membership status in 00. Before then, the sport didn't really mean much. Cut the bias.
Old July 12, 2018, 08:42 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSports
That's not fair. They got their full membership status in 00. Before then, the sport didn't really mean much. Cut the bias.
From the sounds of it, I guess you dont know Eclipse too well to know the reason for his bias