facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old August 16, 2004, 10:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Is Bangladesh cheap?

DS

Any of you reading the letter column of DS lately. It's amusing. Some sort of exchange of letters going on lately.
In reply to an innocent letter on friday about low prices in BD:

Quote:
High wages are exclusive privilege of the workers in rich countries. Yes, the poor ( countries) are allowed to beg and borrow to survive ; their survival is essential to serve the rich
Old August 16, 2004, 10:09 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Don't know about the whole of Bangladesh but Dhaka sure is very expensive in many ways Calcutta on the other hand, from what I hear, is quite cheap.
Old August 16, 2004, 12:38 PM
First Class Cricketer

they are cheap which is good for us but not for thier economy
Old August 16, 2004, 12:58 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

sounds like a silly, one sided view..
Because it is like taking a person of higher economy country and judge his consumption capability when he is placed in a lower economy country!!

It is like comparing 1 US $ to 1 BD Tk.
I don't think there is any calculation in economy that allows this sort of direct comparison between countries and hence name the other country 'Cheap' or 'Expensive'..

'Cheap for Tourists'... wel ya.. that may be said..
Old August 16, 2004, 01:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
Originally posted by pompous
Don't know about the whole of Bangladesh but Dhaka sure is very expensive in many ways Calcutta on the other hand, from what I hear, is quite cheap.
I thought calcuttians (a word??) were cheap not calcutta. I hear they divide up one boiled egg to 4 friends for their once a week "breakfast-out" day
Old August 16, 2004, 01:49 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Orpheus

I thought calcuttians (a word??) were cheap not calcutta. I hear they divide up one boiled egg to 4 friends for their once a week "breakfast-out" day
...Or may be they are more health conscious, just trying to cut down the cholesterol:P
Old August 16, 2004, 02:27 PM
Street Cricketer

Another thing I heard about them is.. when you visit someone's house, they don't entertain you with food or drinks. Just when you are about to leave, they'd say "dada kichu kheye gele hoto na?". Shanghatik kipta public!
Old August 16, 2004, 02:40 PM
ODI Cricketer

Folks,

These posts are reminding me of that famous 'Goru rochona' where that student would turn any essay into an essay of cow. Can't be sure whether that was prodigious or not.
Old August 16, 2004, 02:51 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

I happen to have a couple of Calcatian friends who surprisingly agree with this "kipta" tag. They however seem anxious to make some qualifications in this matter. It turns out there are two distint kinds of West Bangalis. The "Bangals" and the "Ghotis". The Bangals originate from what is now Bangladesh, and Ghotis are indigenous to the Indian side of the border. If my Bangal friends are to be believed than it is the Ghotis who have given Calcatians their miserly reputation. So far, from my personal experience I have to say I find much to agree with this opinion. Ghotis living in Bangladesh have quite the reputation as well

I hope everyone will take this discussion in the light manner that it was intended.

Quote:
Originally posted by nihi
Folks,

These posts are reminding me of that famous 'Goru rochona' where that student would turn any essay into an essay of cow. Can't be sure whether that was prodigious or not.
Old August 16, 2004, 03:10 PM
ODI Cricketer

Sportingly taking a joke is all it is about. But sadly, I have seen our compats consistently failing to take it easy whne it is done to us, may be due to the lowest rung that our average ego tends to hover around. But that is a reason I can't be so sure when we ourselves joke around about others. No offense, didn't mean to "agun-e pani dhalte (pouring water on the the campfire)", and I myself enjoy the jokes all the same.
Old August 16, 2004, 03:23 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by pompous
The "Bangals" and the "Ghotis". The Bangals originate from what is now Bangladesh, and Ghotis are indigenous to the Indian side of the border.
I asked one of my distant relative, a so called 'ghoti' why they are called 'ghoti'? His explanation is most likely they use 'ghoti' instead of 'bodna' in toilet. My next question to him was , then why we (people from Bangladesh) are called "Bangal" instead of "Bodna"? He didn't have a good explanation.
Old August 18, 2004, 04:48 PM
First Class Cricketer

General Ershad is the most talented man..who speaks very clear and intelluctual english..but its a shame that he created this corruption which has still been the bain of Banglaesh's economy and thus resulted in them being stated cheap.
Old August 18, 2004, 07:33 PM
Banned

Cheap vs. not cheap:

Tehari at roadside restaurants, Tk. 25.00 - Cheap!
Biryani at Gulshan's Snack bars, Tk 250.00 - Not so cheap.

They taste pretty much the same.

Dress shirts at Gausia Market Tk 260.00 - Cheap
Same Shirt at "Catseye" Tk 2000.00 - Not so cheap

Lunch at Khushbu, Elephant Road, Tk 120.00 - Cheap
Lunch at Samarkand, Gulshan, Tk 800.00 - Not so cheap.
Rent a car, van, bus - reasonably cheap
Rent a helicopter - available, not so cheap.

It is all dependant on the lifestyle you want to enjoy & have the ability to support. Everything is available in these new, grand, luxarious shopping plazas. Indian tourists, I have come across a few recently in Dhaka, find themselves short of cash due to underestimation of costs in Dhaka for their style.
Common courtesy, help, if you need any, directions - these are the cheapest. They are free and readily available.This has been my experience.