facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 17, 2007, 06:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Big rap. Big, big rap

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/wc20...ry/285807.html

Old March 17, 2007, 06:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Finally a good one by cricinfo. I loved to read -
"
With poise, balance and hand-speed reminiscent of a young Saeed Anwar, Tamim drove on the up with panache and precision, but it was one ball that symbolised what a young talent from a small country brought to the table. After an early assault, Zaheer, unsure what to do, clearly flustered, went round the stumps. Tamim waltzed down the pitch, saw Zaheer adjust his length, cleared his mind, and without the slightest doubt, dispatched - no, launched, or was it arrogantly dismissed - the ball into the stands over long-on.
If Tamim was Bangladesh's belief, Mushfiqur Rahim was the wise old boy of 18, calming the nerves, not looking at the scoreboard and thinking of celebrations, instead playing one ball at a time, the perfect way to approach batting, something very few batsmen manage very few times in an entire career. "
Old March 17, 2007, 06:31 PM
Cricket Legend

To all,
Can we make this thread as the place-holder for all articles on this win?
Please don't keep on opening new threads on articles.
Old March 17, 2007, 06:33 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default Tigers 1, Lambs 0

nice article by Anand Vasu:

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/wc20...ry/285807.html
Old March 17, 2007, 06:37 PM
Cricket Legend

I like what he said-

Quote:
What is significant about this day, however, is that it is not quite like February 29, 1996, when West Indies were stunned by Kenya in Poona. It's very different from June 18, 2005, when Australia had the rug pulled out from under them by Bangladesh in Cardiff. Those were very much flashes in the pan, lightning striking. This was no David slaying Goliath, simply a case of a weaker team playing to its potential and a strong team failing to keep to its standards.

Bangladesh have slowly, steadily, doggedly worked at their cricket to the best of their ability for years now, and the fruit of that is this win. But, they have won matches like this so many times now, prompting people to say they have finally arrived. The point is that they have been around for a while now, it's just that not too many have taken note.
Old March 17, 2007, 06:40 PM
Cricket Legend

I dont agree about the Cardiff game BTW.

That was coming. It was just a question of who, and a question of when.
Old March 17, 2007, 06:43 PM
Test Cricketer

http://www.aajkaal.net/report.php?hidd_report_id=78285

http://www.anandabazar.com/17khela1.htm

Last edited by capslock; March 17, 2007 at 07:08 PM..
Old March 17, 2007, 07:03 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Guardian >>Bangladesh's faith in youth is justified by Mortaza and Razzak

Old March 17, 2007, 07:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Thanks. It's very encouraging - (copied for others)

"And then there were nine. For some time now Bangladesh have been recognised as the largest of the minnows. Now they have moved beyond that. They can live with the big boys. Yesterday they beat one of them, delivering a clinical, high-quality performance that defeated India by five wickets with nine balls to spare. Given that this is the World Cup, when it really matters, this victory must surpass Bangladesh's stunning defeat of Australia in Cardiff in 2005. By comparison this was a cake-walk for Dav Whatmore's side. Of course, there was tension at the prospect of such a startling victory, but this was no fluke. These boys can play. No one should take them lightly now."
Old March 17, 2007, 07:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Bangladesh sealed a famous five-wicket victory against India with a thrilling performance in Port-of-Spain. - BBC
Old March 17, 2007, 07:19 PM
Test Cricketer

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mai...8/scindi18.xml
Old March 17, 2007, 07:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Bangladesh sprung a major shock in the World Cup as they beat many people's fancies for the tournament India by five wickets in Trinidad. - SKYSPORTS
Old March 17, 2007, 07:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

Thanks. Nice one. I liked to read bellow in above article -

Bangladeshi cricket - at least their one-day cricket - has improved out of sight since last autumn's Champions Trophy. Granted Test status prematurely in 2000, and thrown into the deep end without assistance, Bangladesh are now mentored by Australian coaches and fitness trainers. Their cricketers go to the gym, and swim, and field with all the enthusiasm of youth and the skill of Aussies, showing up India's vastly better paid superstars.

If Bangladesh can play Test cricket in the same youthful spirit, the world has a treat in store.
Old March 17, 2007, 07:56 PM
Test Cricketer

More quotes from Hablu:

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/...Bangladesh.php
Old March 17, 2007, 08:28 PM
Test Cricketer

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle1531320.ece
Old March 17, 2007, 08:32 PM
Test Cricketer

From the guy who wrote the 'Smile to sink a million hearts' article:

http://www.indianexpress.com/sunday/story/26000.html
Old March 17, 2007, 09:25 PM
Test Cricketer

Thanks for the articles guys!

Scyld Berry from the Telegraph is a well known name in Banglacricket. Anyone remembers the collection of articles he wrote about Bangladesh, notably before our England tour in 2005? Great to see he learns so quickly!

The best one so far is, nontheless, by Anand Vasu, a great fan of Bangladesh Cricket. This article is even better than the one he wrote after Bangladesh defeted India the first time in the Boxing day match.
Old March 17, 2007, 09:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/03/18/d7031801011.htm

I love the heading of this article. BTW thats written by my friend who works for DS. Go Zulquar !!!!!!!
Old March 17, 2007, 10:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Liton Das

Lol....Ajay S Shankar (The Smile...Hearts guy) is the best

"In the first 90 minutes. By then, Ban-gladesh had grabbed India by the collar, poked a finger in the eyes of some of the world’s best batsman, torn up the elaborate blueprint prepared by Greg Chappell, and punched an embarrassing dent on the face of the world’s richest cricketing outfit. "
Old March 18, 2007, 12:49 AM
Cricket Legend

I would love to see their follow up article, one after the game.
Old March 18, 2007, 01:20 AM
ODI Cricketer

What went wrong - Kiran More

It was a disastrous start for India at the 2007 World Cup as they went down to minnows Bangladesh by five-wickets in a Group B match in Trinidad.

Former India wicketkeeper and chairman of selectors Kiran More analyses what went wrong for India on Saturday.

'Full marks to the Bangladesh bowlers, they bowled fantastically and they deserved to win this match,' he told Special Correspondent Harish Kotian.

Excerpts:

Will you be able to sleep tonight after watching India go down so tamely to Bangladesh?

It's shocking. I said in my earlier chat also that you have to be very careful when you play against Bangladesh. And I had said that this wicket really suits them and they exploited it very well.

They bowled brilliantly with their fast bowlers, with the way they started off. Their spinners were also good, both the left-spinners bowled very well to the Indian batsmen. As I had said earlier also, the Indian batsmen are not the best players of spin bowling. So that's what happened today.

It was not only the batting, but the bowling also looked ineffective. India were totally outclassed in both batting and bowling by Bangladesh.

Regarding our bowling combination, I think we could have gone in with four fast bowlers and one spinner or we could have gone in with two spinners [and three fast bowlers]. But four fast bowlers and one spinner would have been ideal.

They had three genuine fast bowlers in the team, [one spinner] but there was no fifth bowler. There were make-shift bowlers in Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag and Yuvraj Singh. When you have a low-scoring match, you don't have a bowler who can take four or five wickets and Irfan Pathan is capable of getting wickets. Pathan can take three or four wickets in a match plus he can bat well. I think that is what we missed out. We went in with a wrong combination.

Anyways, we only managed just 192 runs against Bangladesh, which does not have a great bowling attack, but they utilised the conditions very well and won this match.

Do you think the Indian team misread the pitch and it was a wrong decision to bat first?

I don't think so actually. The way we got out and the way we started after losing one wicket, we were over cautious. There is definitely going to be some movement in the wicket because the white ball moves a bit. But full credit to the Bangladesh bowlers, they bowled magnificently, in the right areas.

They troubled Sourav Ganguly and even Robin Uthappa, so they didn't have a great start. Our start was very slow and they kept on putting the pressure on the Indian batsmen and we kept on losing wickets.

Sachin Tendulkar's wicket was very crucial. He tried to play the ball, but it was his bad luck that it hit his pad and went to the wicketkeeper.

So I think full marks to the Bangladesh bowlers, they bowled fantastically and they deserved to win this match.

The Indian top order played some poor shots today to throw their wickets away. What is your view?

I think we batted in an overcautious manner. I think when we you are playing against Bangladesh, at least one or two batsmen should go for their shots. Nobody went for their shots and by the time we went for the shots it was too late in the innings. That stage if we would have decided to get around 210 or 220, it would have been a great total on this wicket. But then we lost some crucial wickets, and with the score on 159, we lost three quick wickets and that was not on.

We should have tried to play a couple of overs at that stage and try to get some runs in the end. The last wicket partnership of 32 between Munaf Patel and Zaheer Khan was very vital.

In the morning, the wicket had a bit of moisture, but later on the ball was coming on very nicely. The way young [Mushfiqur] Rahim batted, it was a mature innings. He is just 17, he kept brilliantly and I felt like he was playing the 50th match of his career. In the batting too when the situation demanded, he went for the big shots. So full credit to Rahim, the way he carried from one end and kept on scoring runs.

All the Bangladesh batsmen who did well today are all youngsters. Tamim Iqbal is 17, Saqibul Hasan is 19, Mushfiqur Rahim is 18 � they scored vital half-centuries. Was it a lesson for the Indian batsmen?

I think it was not the question of learning. The way the Bangladesh team went about their business was outstanding.

They were chasing 192, so they knew they had to dominate the bowling. So what they did was they put a lot of pressure on the bowlers initially, especially Zaheer Khan. They went after him, they got away with some shots and I think that is how the pressure came on the Indian bowlers also. Munaf bowled very well in the first spell and there was no support from the other end at all.

I felt Ajit Agarkar could have been brought earlier in the innings [for his second spell]. He would have used the new ball and would have been useful. Agarkar, when he came on to bowl [for his second spell] it was around the 18-19th over and it was too late. I felt Agarkar could have been brought a bit earlier, when Zaheer was hit for a few boundaries.

In a low scoring match, you to bowl tight length and you have to get wickets also and that didn't happen. But the way Bangladesh put pressure on the Indian bowlers, it was outstanding. They had some game plans, they went for a lot of positive shots, they were a bit lucky also that some of the shots fell away [from the fielder] and a top edge went for six. But I think the wicket also kept improving.

Again the fielding also did not stand the test. Fielding is very key when you play low scoring matches. It is okay when you have scored around 300 runs, you can take it a bit easy. But today our fielding was exposed.

What should we do with Virender Sehwag? Should he be dropped for the next match?

He is not looking in the best of form. The team management should give him a break and let Uthappa open with Sourav Ganguly. Dinesh Karthik should come in or maybe Irfan Pathan. I think Pathan should be part of the team, because he can bat and bowl. He can bat in any position, number three or opening or number seven. He can also play the big shots when needed. Plus he is a left-hander, which makes a lot of difference. Like today, Bangladesh had two left-arm spinners and Pathan would have been very useful against them. He slogs the left-arm spinners very well and he is a big hitter of the ball and I think he would have been very useful. I hope he gets an opportunity in the next match.

SOURCE: ************************/wc2007/2007/mar/18chat.htm
Old March 18, 2007, 01:32 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

"nd Irfan Pathan is capable of getting wickets. Pathan can take three or four wickets in a match plus he can bat well."

When Dhoni's wicket fell, the only name coming into my mind was Irfan Pathan, who could have been dangerous for us at the time.
Old March 18, 2007, 01:32 AM
Club Cricketer

BDFlag I enjoyed when i saw the face of MONDIRA in Set max

oohhh,,wat a big relief,,How buzzing dis indian media are..........i m so bored when they talkl lik childish before da match,in the middle of the match n finally after the match,,They found guilty in India,bt didn't give any crdit to tigerssssssss...BT my deep thanks goes to cricinfo,They come with a good job,,Itz a link in cricinfo,india where they r outstanding lik BD.
http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/wc20...ry/285807.html
Old March 18, 2007, 04:44 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Viv - he made all scared

"Last pair Zaheer and Patel hit two fours each to add 32 from 28 balls which but might have significant, but Iqbal and his young colleagues had other ideas."

i just loved it...well said

Old March 18, 2007, 06:00 AM
Cricket Legend

more was dead right on one thing, pathan could have made the critical difference. infact they never bothered to analyse Bangladesh well, and they paid for it. pathan had good success with the ball against Bd and his batting would have made difference to this lethargic indian lineup.