facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 3, 2010, 10:58 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Lara, Tamim
Default An English fan's view about 2nd ODI

An English fan's view about the 2nd ODI and his fellow countrymens' reactions
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A64269787

Old March 3, 2010, 11:09 AM
Cricket Legend

good & true....(almost similar to our opinion on that match :p )
Old March 3, 2010, 11:11 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: TI, Dravid, Dwayne Bravo

Yeah read that the other day. Funny how the other english fans seem to think the 3(plumb) lbw not given compensates the only 1 that was given against england in 1st ODI.
Old March 3, 2010, 11:13 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

interesting!
Old March 3, 2010, 11:21 AM
Cricket Legend
ICC WT20 2016 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Really this is an awesome article by a fan from a neutral point of view, summarized the true picture of the match beautifully.
Old March 3, 2010, 11:27 AM
Cricket Legend
ICC WT20 2016 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Riyad
Yeah read that the other day. Funny how the other english fans seem to think the 3(plumb) lbw not given compensates the only 1 that was given against england in 1st ODI.
Who said it was compensated? The decision of the 1st ODI you're talking about was itself a compensation of the Kieswetter's plumb lbw decision which was not given in Shakib's first over.
Old March 3, 2010, 11:42 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Thanks for the link.
Nice read.

Quote:
I have rarely found an ODI that England featured in so nerve racking! I felt Bangladesh played some superb cricket and bar the weak dismissal of Aftab Ahmed and one or two bits of questionable field placing, they outplayed us left, right and centre.

This leads me to the point of my article: England did not deserve to win and I don't care what anyone says about Swann's or Bresnan's bowling, Cook's solid start or Morgan's and Prior's stand and Tredwell at the end, Bangladesh were not beaten by England, they were beaten by the umpires. Perhaps it is rare for umpires to come across such a volume of spin bowling in an innings, but how many plum LBW decisions can you miss?! It's easy to be the world's finest umpire when you're watching on a screen at home (particularly with replays and hawkeye), but Morgan's match winning innings should never have happened - he should have been adjudged LBW twice early on, Prior was LBW too at the start of his innings but inexplicably survived.
Old March 3, 2010, 11:46 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razi
Who said it was compensated? The decision of the 1st ODI you're talking about was itself a compensation of the Kieswetter's plumb lbw decision which was not given in Shakib's first over.
you are misinterpretting him. he was not talking about himself rather about a bunch of english fans who commented on the article.
Old March 3, 2010, 11:54 AM
Banned

PPL don't get it - saying that umpiring mistakes are even steven.

For us, even a single win is more important than 10 English wins.

BD woould rather have good umpiring that allows them to win when they deserve. BD does not care of how many decisions go in favor of them on days when they would have lost anyway.

Also, can one of you take that Karthik dude out at the end. What's up with this sub-continental jealousy?
Old March 3, 2010, 12:03 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKVD

Also, can one of you take that Karthik dude out at the end. What's up with this sub-continental jealousy?
He sounds like a right-wing nut. Its like republican party. If anyone points out something wrong that involves US, they he/she is termed as unpatriotic.
Old March 3, 2010, 12:05 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: $hakib Al Ha$an

we are geting the recognition and we are going the right direction...siddon is da man...
Old March 3, 2010, 12:13 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Lara & Ashraful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananna
An English fan's view about the 2nd ODI and his fellow countrymens' reactions
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A64269787
To the point and completely true. Bangladesh is there, it is just a matter of time, Inshallah when win will be norm for us, at least in our home turf.

Last edited by ahms; March 3, 2010 at 12:24 PM..
Old March 3, 2010, 12:16 PM
Cricket Sage

the fact is we lost. 2 years from today when England comes back to visit against people will say England beat Bangladesh in the 2nd ODI. that's all it will say. What ever happened was unfair, but if BCB doesn't even bother to make complain of any sort what's the point moping over it.
Old March 3, 2010, 12:31 PM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

What are the Bangladesh media saying? The british media haven't mentioned the 3 lbw decisions much.
Old March 3, 2010, 12:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: YOURFACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangladesh_sy
the fact is we lost. 2 years from today when England comes back to visit against people will say England beat Bangladesh in the 2nd ODI. that's all it will say. What ever happened was unfair, but if BCB doesn't even bother to make complain of any sort what's the point moping over it.

yeep. they should.
Old March 3, 2010, 12:36 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Manc
What are the Bangladesh media saying? The british media haven't mentioned the 3 lbw decisions much.
I believe BD media (sports) are honest compared to british media. They mentioned about those 3 lbw decisions, but didnt make it the focus of the article. Infact most of the newspaper reported that BD lost to Morgan.
about the 1st ODI, prothom alo reporter wrote that Nadir shah shouldnt have give lbw to cook.
Old March 3, 2010, 12:43 PM
First Class Cricketer

That was a Very good one from a Good English Supporter....Unfortunately 99% English Fans are not like him (arrogant, Cocky....whatever the way u phrase them)

There is no place in the world sports for should have/could have/Would have......if you don't capitalize the chances you dont win Straight as that (I mean Catch miss,Run out miss etc). But when you have 3 Clean Plumbs thats deserved and we earned it.....so take away that thats the stuff really bothered me whole day (Waking Up 3 AM In the Morning in a working day)

I read other comments in BBC 606. They are saying Bangladeshi Supporters didn't gave Morgan any applause/cheer when he reached 100. Dude what u expect? Jump around like Monkeys for u?

Andrew Miller in Cricinfo also said he had experienced something what he had not experienced anywhere in the world. One Moment Crowd was cheering and next moment After Six there was Pin Drop Silence and Crowd started leaving right after that.....WTF? Do you want PPL to Jump around an Celebrate English Win?...

One last thing BBC is also BS. I registered and post comments there....they never even posted it..(It was nothing Profane)......
Old March 3, 2010, 01:00 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

guess what will happen if tammi hits a six in lords brings ups his triple century and bangladesh win their first test against England chasing 500 in the 4th innings ???

how many of those english supporters in Lords will clap for tamim ???
Old March 3, 2010, 01:10 PM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

What really irked me was when Bob Willis said our bowling was mediocre! Statistically our bowling lineup was stronger than England. Razzak has a better average than Swann and has taken 100 more ODI wickets. Broad is the only bowler with a better average than Razzak. Between Swann and the English bowler with the next highest average we have 3 bowlers with a better average; Shakib, Shafiul and Naeem. Also Mashrafe has a better average but didn't play and I know Shuvo is a better bowler than Collywood. I find Bob Willis patronising and arrogant.
Old March 3, 2010, 01:46 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Manc
What really irked me was when Bob Willis said our bowling was mediocre! Statistically our bowling lineup was stronger than England. Razzak has a better average than Swann and has taken 100 more ODI wickets. Broad is the only bowler with a better average than Razzak. Between Swann and the English bowler with the next highest average we have 3 bowlers with a better average; Shakib, Shafiul and Naeem. Also Mashrafe has a better average but didn't play and I know Shuvo is a better bowler than Collywood. I find Bob Willis patronising and arrogant.
is it surprising to you? they are always arrogant.
Old March 3, 2010, 02:06 PM
First Class Cricketer

Default cooment by one Endian in that blog...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razi
Really this is an awesome article by a fan from a neutral point of view, summarized the true picture of the match beautifully.
comment by Karthik (U1734306)
posted 2 Hours Ago
You don't sound like English fan. You are like Bangladesh fan in disguise. Why do you have to keep reminding us "As an English fan"
Old March 3, 2010, 02:17 PM
Banned

When one of our batters scored that century in NZ and on his way back to the pavillion, the only folks clapping were the BD team.

You may want the BCB to make noise out of this - but why should they ? They English will stop visiting or give us a tough time scheduling.

Also, BC(C)B has a history of cricket development association with the English, that predates all those visits we see to the Australian academies over the past 10 years.

While IMO, those were token involvements, I don't think anybody in BD wants to cause issues.

Ershad Hussein was bashed by the British media when he cancelled the English A team visit in the 80's.

Their captain, Mark Nicholas was in a SA rebel tour.

That punk had the gall to make statements agains our head of state.

That's as far as we have gone.

A HEad of state taking a position on grounds of idealogical sympathy is one thing - BCB making noise over these "petty" things is way different.
Old March 3, 2010, 03:00 PM
Cricket Guru

Lawrence Booth: Shakib Al Hasan puts England in their place

In his thoroughly researched biography of Imran Khan, the author Christopher Sandford quotes his subject’s despairing views of the captaincy of Mushtaq Mohammad, who led Pakistan for a while in the late 1970s. According to Imran, “Mushtaq would use the phraseology of English team captains about ‘pitching the ball up and let[ting] it do the work’, even when this was courting disaster.”

Sandford, who describes Mushtaq as an “Anglophile”, continues: “It was part of a larger mindset that had seen successive Pakistan touring sides be almost absurdly deferential, both on and off the field, to their British hosts.”

Times have changed, of course, but it was still refreshing last night to hear the Bangladesh captain Shakib Al Hasan show absolutely no deference whatsoever to England after they had squeezed home on the back of Eoin Morgan’s reverse-sweeps and chutzpah.

Naturally, we’re in dangerous territory here: there’s absolutely no reason why any team in the second decade of the 21st century should tug its forelock to any other. But time was when the Bangladeshis were simply grateful for a game. Shakib’s display of confidence was a reminder not only of subcontinental cricket’s ever-growing sense of self worth, but also of England’s tenuous place in the grand scheme of things.

Asked how frustrated he was not to have led his team to their first win over England – curiously the only team in world cricket never to have lost to the Bangladeshis – Shakib replied: “I think we have to win some games against good-ranking teams. It’s not really England that we have to beat. We have to win against other bigger teams as well.” Had the British journalists present not been so busy mentally composing their pieces for today’s papers, there might have been a sharper intake of breath.

Neither was there any show of cap-doffing to the umpires. Despite his own claims to the contrary, Morgan must know he was fortunate not to be given out leg-before on both five and 13 to Mahmudullah’s off-breaks. Shakib, though, was quite clear on the issue. “If the umpires had been more consistent then the result would have come our way,” he declared, using the kind of language that would earn most Premier League managers a slap on the wrist at the very least. “There were two or three close shouts against Morgan. If he was out then we would have won the game easily.”

It’s one thing for Bangladesh’s coach Jamie Siddons to produce soundbites about the decision to leave Andrew Strauss at home “biting England on the bum”. He is, after all, Australian: it’s the kind of banter most Ashes fans would regard as pretty tame.

But it’s another for the 22-year-old captain of the world’s least successful Test nation to put England in their place quite so dismissively. England know they got out of jail in Dhaka last night. Bangladesh know it too. And the great thing is, they aren’t afraid to say so.

Lawrence Booth was writing from Dhaka. Lawrence writes on cricket for the Daily Mail, and you can sign up for his weekly newsletter the Top Spin here. His fourth book, What Are The Butchers For? And Other Splendid Cricket Quotations, is out now, published by A&C Black

http://wisdencricketer.com/blogs/blo...n-their-place/
Old March 3, 2010, 03:19 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

^^^ Thanks for the article. I would rate this umpiring hack job among the very worst that we have ever dealt with. Well..just have to move on.
Old March 3, 2010, 03:34 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

Yes good article. If it were India, Rob Tukker/Sucker.. whatever his name is would have lost his job and on his way home by now. Sadly, our media/board/top guys are lot more foregiving.