facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 11, 2004, 10:26 PM
First Class Cricketer

Default Can guest players play for a cricket team ?

Some team are fighting hard to get good players especially team like Zimbabwe when playing in against Australia does not have enough resources in their batting

Some team have excessive number of players who did not get enough opportunity

how about arranging a new system by allowing one or two foreign palyers play for a team
for eg Afridi could have played for Zimbabwe against Australia in the current season
County teams are allowing foreign players to play for their team

What are the benefits if ICC allows this ?

More standard in the game
ie
More competition the team like Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, Kenya, Holland, Canada, Nepal, UAE, Scotland, Namibia, Ireland, etc would be able to play more competitive cricket resulting in more entertainment and more competition

More develeopment in cricket developing countries

The concept about one sided game will be reduced

I am really looking forward on ur replies, suggestions, and news on this matter

Will this be sucessful ?
Will this come true?

Old January 11, 2004, 10:49 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

I heard simmilar arguments earlier, can't remember who exactly said it, but heard it nevertheless. I don't think its a good idea at the country level, nor should it be allowed for the sake of creating parity. I am all for players playing in other countries at club or first class level, not in the national teams. I can't imagine how it can be ? I give you a scenario to put the idea into some perspective:
Hypothetically, lets say pak wins the next world cup and lets say a yuvraj singh on loan for the time being hits the game winning shot and does a lap around the stadium with a pakistan flag with the rest of his teammates ( inzi, razzak..)...sleep on it and the idea doesn't seem that rosy, or does it ?
Old January 12, 2004, 04:11 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Tell you what, since this is a Bangladeshi forum, I will give you an example - something that happened in Bangladesh cricket for applying the formula that you have suggested.

In the 1994 ICC trophy, UAE became the champions taking 10 Indian, Pakistani and Sri Lankan players and only 1 player who was born and brought up in UAE. Then they played in the 1996 World Cup as the ICC Champion team. And now look at them. They are are still a champion-side, but that is in the Asian competition only (ACC Championship), compare that to the world standard for ICC Associates, they are nowhere.

In comparison to that, take Bangladesh's case for an example. There are so many similar standard players born and brought up in Bangladesh, only a small amount of them can actually get into the national team.

So, which one is better? For short-term, it may seem that the idea of the UAE may sound very rich, but it will only affect the long-term cause of establishing the nation as a real cricketing power.
Old January 12, 2004, 04:59 AM
Cricket Legend

If someone is a dual citizan, yes. Take John Davison for an example. What happen if he is considered for the Australian team?
Old January 12, 2004, 04:59 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I find it quite stupid that foreigners come and play for your country. It just something that won't work out. It hits right in the "national" pride issue.
Old January 12, 2004, 08:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Isn't the whole idea meant to be "international". Mind my latin by doesn't that mean between nations?? Competition with the best cricketers from each country competing against the best cricketers of other countries. Therefore if you just pick whoever you like then the whole thing just becomes one weird salary cap and there is as nasif said no national pride. It's alright with county cricket where you can pick two foreign players for your county and that's it. That become a massive selection dilemma too as most players are on international duties so they prefer to pick ppl who won't have other commitments but are up to test standards (like Hussey,Blewett,Elliot,Goodwin or Dawes).
Anyway I'm straying from the subject, but sorry ajit i think the whole thing is ludacris
Old January 14, 2004, 02:10 PM
BanglaCricket Multimedia

I found the UAE team in the 1996 WC completely ridiculous... it was anyting but a UAE team... Weird! Well didnt help em a lot in the WC did it? too bad they got to be champions in the ICC trophy '94...
Old January 14, 2004, 11:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

ICC Trophy's the most entertaining tournament for me!!! As I am one who always supports the underdogs (probably why I'm here)