facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 10, 2005, 05:52 AM
Club Cricketer

Default Should Bangladesh go into the second test with the same team?

I know selectors are against wholesale changes (so am I) and they would like to stick to the winning combination but will that be the right move? Have we not given enough chance to Javed Omar? His limitation in playing short pitched stuff is now exposed to every team in the world and he will be tested with more short pitched stuff if he is given a chance in the 2nd test. Does Aftab has the mental strength to handle the pressure at test level?Way he is getting dismissed suggests that he still needs some time to groom himself to really perform well at the test level. Don't get me wrong…..I've no doubt in his potential as a Batsman but feel that we are rushing a bit with him same way we did for Ash.

My recommendation would be to drop Javed and bring in Al Shahriar or Nafees Ahmed in his place. Shariar will have slight edge considering his recent form and experience. We should bring back Alok in place of Aftab. Players will realize that nobody's place is permanent and will start to value chances given to them.

What do you say?

Old January 10, 2005, 06:07 AM
Test Cricketer

Yes.Why change something that is working?
Old January 10, 2005, 07:29 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

No need for changes unless somebody is injured.
Old January 10, 2005, 07:48 AM
Club Cricketer

Change nothing, aftab was about the only individual not to shine but how can we forget his performance against india so quickly - obviously he stays.

Only change could be if Javed is injured.
Old January 10, 2005, 07:49 AM
Test Cricketer

i think javed should be omitted and give nafees ahmed a chance. it will give the clear message to players that play well or else you will be kicked-out. javed got enough opportunity and he exposed his weakness to all teams. meantime, give more time to aftab
Old January 10, 2005, 07:50 AM
ODI Cricketer

Javed Omar will be subjected to a lot of short pitch stuff in future, and not just from Zimbabwe. So he will have to improve his technique against short pitched deliveries drastically if he has to survive in international cricket.

Edited on, January 10, 2005, 12:51 PM GMT, by cricketfan.
Old January 10, 2005, 08:18 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

My gut feeling is Javed won't make it to the squad bound for England later on in the summer and that will be the end of his international test career. He is nearing the end of his time in test cricket. But let us see what happens.
Old January 10, 2005, 08:23 AM
First Class Cricketer

same team.
Old January 10, 2005, 08:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Don't change winning combination!!
Old January 10, 2005, 08:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by vv_sunil
i think javed should be omitted and give nafees ahmed a chance. it will give the clear message to players that play well or else you will be kicked-out. javed got enough opportunity and he exposed his weakness to all teams. meantime, give more time to aftab
i also think that javed should be replaced with this left handed opener, but not just to give any message, but this new guy is probably a better batsman.......... and also a left right combo will cause problems for zim bowlers.
Old January 10, 2005, 10:37 AM
Cricket Legend

This team can beat Zimbabwe again, and there is no one in the sidelines who necessarily gives a better chance. Pitch conditions may determine whether they go for a third pacer instead of a second spinner, but how can you leave out Enamul? Actually Rafique may be injured, so don't count out him not playing.

As for Javed, he didn't do so bad but he does have a problem. Rather than jerking him out now, I'd like to see that situation resolve itself with more thought.
Old January 10, 2005, 10:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Rafiq is injured...he was even limping during the prize ceremony. Hope he recovers by the 2nd Test

If Rafiq is to be substituted (ALLAH forbids) who do u think is the best substitute?

Edited on, January 10, 2005, 4:07 PM GMT, by ialbd.
________
MONTANA MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Last edited by ialbd; February 19, 2011 at 11:11 PM..
Old January 10, 2005, 11:06 AM
Cricket Legend

No change during Zim series, no debutants for ODIs. This series should be all given for improving ourselves, as players, as a team, as a nation. Players should take it seriously that this is the series they should get their form, confidence back and get rid of mental block, blurry vision, weakend heart and all the negatives. The same way I as a fan getting rid of my negatives too, hope all the fans and critics do the same.
Old January 10, 2005, 11:27 AM
Test Cricketer

I'm afraid that Rafiq might needs rest due to injure. For this injure he did not get his well deserved wkts
Old January 10, 2005, 11:57 AM
Cricket Legend

I think they will stick to the winning combination. But i feel the changes required are another opening batsman in place of Javed because he keeps on getting injured and his batting has detoriated. Kapali should be brought in place of Aftab. I feel he is coming out of his bad patch of form. Nafis Ahmed the left hander may be in good form, but should not be brought into the side so early. He should play for this season and be considered for selection after a while. Dont forget Faisal who was a complete flop, after being selected for good performance in domestic league. Finally if Rafique is injured i think they will select Manjarul. Thats the best option for the time being
Old January 10, 2005, 12:11 PM
Test Cricketer

The opening pair [ that includes Omar ] posted Bangladesh's highest first wicket partnership record. So let us not think of changing any position.

About Aftab, we must be mad. I class him just below Bashar and Ashraful. I saw his performances against India. Why are we even thinking of dropping him ?

Re England tour, as they do not have a left arm in-swing bowler, I would bring back Hannan into the squad. Apart from this major deficiency which he has and shares with many of our other batsmen , he is good against pace as he amply demonstrated against Australia. Kapali should also be in. Talha Jubair and Nazmul should make up the other two.
Old January 10, 2005, 12:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Javed Omor's 33 was littered with half chances and beatens. He was lucky so many times. Even most of his 4s were sneaks. If it wasn't his lucky day he would have been out several times.

That horrendous performance coupled with his increased probability of injury(resulting from the current injury) almost assures that selectors won't select him. You know the selectors saw the game and they saw how lucky he was in the first innings.

Aftab Stays. No doubt about that one.

I would have been jumping up and down for lefty nafis at this point but it seems like Rokon is blowing everyone away with his current form. If Faruq doesn't have personal problems with rokon I find it hard for him to exclude Rokon. At the most he might delay Rokon all the way to the 1st ODI. Rokon scares Zimbabwe and would put them under psychological pressure.

How come everyone is not extremely worried that Rafiq might not play. Enamul might not be able to use the Dhaka pitch as much, you know? Huge psychological plus for Zimbabwe.
Old January 10, 2005, 12:33 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Athar Ali Khan

Javed is fine....just becoz he has not performed up to many of the fans expectations ( which i dont think is relistic) he cant be kicked out of a team. A chap even predicted his careers end. Well , i laugh at your coments. He is a tigger. He has proved his presence in the team on various occations. Just becaz he hasnt klicked recently u cant 4get all the great innings he has gifted us. Long live Javed Omar. He is on of the best team mans and besides a good fielder as well.
Old January 10, 2005, 12:42 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default do you agree?

Lets take a step back and look at the current team from a distance... lets take a look at their very recent history. I do not think the track is very unreadable..

After Dave joined as BD coach.. the first thing he tried to do... was to bring discipline and confidence into the already existing players in the country/team.
After a few initial successes on that.. some of the players started to underperform.. putting the selectors to think deep.
Then the coach/board started to experiment with selection.. giving lots of chances to a good number of youngstars.
Appriciably enough, the BKSP itself and the system of HP squad adopted by BCB enhanced regular supply of junior players who could be tested in International arena.
Then came younger debutants, one after another into the team and with only few successes, most of them proved to be collaps-materials for the big show.
This experiment with younger potentials made discoveries of some very talented and potential young hands-who could ultimately adopt to the big games.. while it also raised a very important question: How far should we push our youngstars into the Int' show before preparing them properly?
Fortunately enough... by this time, a combination of Seniors & Juniors started to grow and gain consistancy upto a good level.. and even more fortunately for us, BCB decided (only very recently) to restrain limitless changes & shuffles and started to stick to their short core of players with only very minor changes series-to-series..

Result? Well.. the team has started to develope consistancy, adoptibility, understanding and a very high team spirit and winning spree! This solid core of current players only has started to develope as a strong team (only in initial stage) and they really need far more time to develope themselves as UNBEATABLE combination..
On the other hand... every younger potentials really need to be seasoned more n more on the INTERMEDIATE (between Domestic & International) level and grow up as very dependable hans for the future of our team.

Current set of highly performing seniors (Eg. Rafiq/Pilot/Tapash/even Bashar) will retire sooner or later... and we do need replacements of them and we need to prepare those replacement talents from this very moment!

:duh:If a younger promising player (Nafees Ahmed, in this case) is doing very good at his level, but yet it is not exactly the right time to put him in right onto the frypan.. then why must we think that he is being misjudged or deprived?? This is only the beginning of BD cricket and we have long long way to go.. and we need all these young guns for ever!!

Lets stop being abrapt and arbitrary and develope a very consistant system to process our younger talents and take their services for the longest possible period of time.. not just use them for a few matches and then through them away like useless trash.
Old January 10, 2005, 12:43 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

I think the only changes will be forced changes due to our bad luck (injury).
Old January 10, 2005, 12:49 PM
Cricket Legend

I second that fwullah
Old January 10, 2005, 12:50 PM
Street Cricketer

I think we should drop Nafis and bring Shahriar
That should be the only change I can think of

Sadrul
Old January 10, 2005, 12:52 PM
Cricket Legend

absolutely agree with Fwullah - only change could be if rafique is injured. it doesn't matter what rokon or nafees ahmed are doing elsewhere, this team is set and the last thing they want to do is make a change.
Old January 10, 2005, 12:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Isn't Golla injured and far from 100%?
Old January 10, 2005, 12:56 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Sadrul
I think we should drop Nafis and bring Shahriar
That should be the only change I can think of
so u r not even prepared to giv Nafis, one of the highest potential youngstar, the time to get himself settled in the team?

and then wht u gonna do? bring shahriar in... find out that he is failing for 5 matches.. and then kick him out and bring another one in?

this thing has to change!