facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old October 16, 2006, 09:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Default For Josephites: Sweet memories

One of us cared to write this on wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hojamal_Ho

Brings a smile to my face.

Old October 16, 2006, 10:51 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Arnab;

Good find
Old October 16, 2006, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Not a Josephite myself but a next door neighbor - had stolen this special "battle cry" and it became even more part of my lexicon at NDC with all my Josephite friends. I had always thought that the etymology was "Ho, Jamal, Ho" and not "Hojamal, ho".
Old October 16, 2006, 11:37 PM
Cricket Legend

It's "hojamal" AFAIK.

I remember shouting the form "Hojamal, ho, ho , ho" too, on a few occasions.

Last edited by Arnab; October 17, 2006 at 09:57 AM..
Old October 17, 2006, 10:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

wohoo proud to be a josephite. i was part of the 50 year anniversary couple of years ago
Old October 17, 2006, 01:33 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Simply cruel: "this use has been observed against groups of girls. Boys from St. Joseph have reported extra satisfaction from delivering a Hoja against Holy Cross Girls' High School (Dhaka), a rival school run by the same organization in charge of St. Joseph High School. This type of Hoja is spurred not only by a sense of rivalry, but also by a desperate attempt at attracting females. No instance of it succeeding in that goal has ever been recorded." When something does not work try something different.

Congrates to Jalal for posting this at Wiki. However, I challenge this claim of coming out of Saint Joshimuddin patshala.
Old October 17, 2006, 01:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Simply cruel: "this use has been observed against groups of girls. Boys from St. Joseph have reported extra satisfaction from delivering a Hoja against Holy Cross Girls' High School (Dhaka), a rival school run by the same organization in charge of St. Joseph High School. This type of Hoja is spurred not only by a sense of rivalry, but also by a desperate attempt at attracting females. No instance of it succeeding in that goal has ever been recorded." When something does not work try something different.
Well, the original para wasn't like this at all, since it was written by a Josephite. Seems like some HC sympathizer has tinkered with the article. Tsk. Tsk.
Old October 17, 2006, 01:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
However, I challenge this claim of coming out of Saint Joshimuddin patshala.
Trust me, it could only come out of a place like St Joseph. Makes sense on too many levels.
Old October 17, 2006, 04:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Shahriar nafees is also from st. joseph school. I remember playing against him when I was in class 8. Back then he was a short kid who had a reputation for spanking the bowlers all around the park.
Old October 17, 2006, 05:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahriyar
Shahriar nafees is also from st. joseph school.
So are Niaz Morshed and Rifat bin Sattar, two of only three Chess grandmasters we have in Bangladesh.
Old October 17, 2006, 05:47 PM
Cricket Guru

hehe i am from there, i turned out to be a bum in BC...
Old October 17, 2006, 05:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Are you Sheikh Sadi? We had a pessimist like you who went by that name.
Old October 17, 2006, 10:07 PM
Cricket Guru

Sheikh Sadi was never a pessimist, atleast what we read about one of the popular 'stories' where he was rejected first for his clothings and then was welcomed when he changed his attire. Then he criticized the nature of our materialistic mind.
Old October 17, 2006, 11:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS
Sheikh Sadi was never a pessimist, atleast what we read about one of the popular 'stories' where he was rejected first for his clothings and then was welcomed when he changed his attire. Then he criticized the nature of our materialistic mind.

Wow this sheikh sadi person is famous in saint joseph !!! You poeple hear "stories" about him. bhery bhery intaresting.
Old October 18, 2006, 02:17 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone

I suspect jalal is actually Arnab (?)
Old October 18, 2006, 10:10 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Wow this sheikh sadi person is famous in saint joseph !!! You poeple hear "stories" about him. bhery bhery intaresting.
Hi Mr. Shahriyar...i didn't mean to say "stories" may be events...whatever you want to say...this is not a literature class but a forum where you type and post without any formating and sentence structuring when you have limited time.
Old October 18, 2006, 11:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbar
I suspect jalal is actually Arnab (?)
Not really. Even if I really were that desparate, I'd probably pick a better sockpuppet name: James Bond or Clark Kent may be?
Old October 18, 2006, 03:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS
Hi Mr. Shahriyar...i didn't mean to say "stories" may be events...whatever you want to say...this is not a literature class but a forum where you type and post without any formating and sentence structuring when you have limited time.
Hey SS, my post was not meant to ridicule your post. You got it all wrong bro. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I just found it funny how one person is so well known in a school that two random people in an online community know him by a specific incident!!! No offence intended for you or Mr sadi or any one else or the school. Peace. If I was ridiculing grammar then there are lots of posts made here that makes no sense in english and people might even find wrong grammar in my posts. That was not the point at all. I know the point here is to make posts and not write correct english sentences.
Old October 18, 2006, 03:50 PM
Cricket Legend

the funny thing is i hav been in saint joseph for 3 years but never heard anyone say Hojamal Ho.

any way any recent student know Mr. Golder or as we call him goldo.he taught me agriculture and english. worst teacher in the world. then Mahatab sir.he was always slappin kids. he was always pissed off. and always bragging how he wasa professor and travelled all around the world, sadly he passed away a year ago. my favorite teacher was mahmood sir for math and Michael sir for science.
Old October 18, 2006, 07:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancan
the funny thing is i hav been in saint joseph for 3 years but never heard anyone say Hojamal Ho.

any way any recent student know Mr. Golder or as we call him goldo.he taught me agriculture and english. worst teacher in the world. then Mahatab sir.he was always slappin kids. he was always pissed off. and always bragging how he wasa professor and travelled all around the world, sadly he passed away a year ago. my favorite teacher was mahmood sir for math and Michael sir for science.
Is Mahatab sir a Chemistry teacher ? I think I went to one mahtab sir for chem for about two months during my O levels. That guy was also always angry and he was a big man. I remember him slapping two students in my batch !!!!
Old October 18, 2006, 08:24 PM
Cricket Legend

mahtab sir was skinny, i dun know about higher grades but he taught me social studies in grade 6. he was always pissed off and always slapping ppl. he once slapped me cause i "styling" my hair. i really miss saint joseph.

at this exact momemt i m wearing a saint joseph 50 years anniversary shirt that i bought couple of years ago for 100 tk.
Old October 18, 2006, 09:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Hey SS, my post was not meant to ridicule your post. You got it all wrong bro. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I just found it funny how one person is so well known in a school that two random people in an online community know him by a specific incident!!! No offence intended for you or Mr sadi or any one else or the school. Peace. If I was ridiculing grammar then there are lots of posts made here that makes no sense in english and people might even find wrong grammar in my posts. That was not the point at all. I know the point here is to make posts and not write correct english sentences.
He was talking about Sheikh Sadi the poet. He got you confused.
Old October 19, 2006, 08:15 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancan

If you don't know Hoja you ain't no Josephite. Therefore, "Goldu re p*** diya...". Interesting how a nickname like "Goldu" has survived a generation. Sorry to hear Mahtab has passed away. Those of you that did not know the full story, he was always a recovering alcoholic, but never really recovered. Innalillah for the departed soul.
Old October 19, 2006, 09:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZunaidH
If you don't know Hoja you ain't no Josephite. Therefore, "Goldu re p*** diya...". Interesting how a nickname like "Goldu" has survived a generation. Sorry to hear Mahtab has passed away. Those of you that did not know the full story, he was always a recovering alcoholic, but never really recovered. Innalillah for the departed soul.

mate i hav been in saint joseph for 3 years. i was there very recently for 1 year. i beleive the saying is not used anymore that much. cause there are things in skool everyone knows about like "aunty number 1". so i think the sayin is fading away.