facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old June 11, 2008, 12:54 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh
Default Torrey Pines - US Open 2008

What are the chances that an American will lift the jug this year? In last 7 years only twice (Tiger '02 and Furyk '03) an American had won the US Open. Gooson (SA '01 and '04) won it twice, Michael Campbell (NZ '05), Ogilvy (Aus '06), Cabrerra (Arg '07).

Ernie Els (SA) won twice also.

The pretenders this year looks like are Garcia (SP), Adam Scott (Aus), Immelmen (SA) current master's champion.

The contenders are the usual suspects. Ernie, Gooson, Tiger, Furyk, Hefty.

I wish Tiger plays good and competes in Sunday. He hasn't played any competitive golf in last six weeks because of a knee operation. Last time he came back from a knee operation he won the tournament by 4 shots. Last time he played at Torrey Pines (Jan 2008) he won by 6 shots.

Lets go Tiger!! Early tee time should help. The wind picks up late I guess.

Old June 11, 2008, 12:55 PM
Cricket Savant

By the way, Tiger, Hefty and Scott are all grouped together. First time in a Major #1, #2 and #3 player in the world are grouped together.
Old June 11, 2008, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Bah Humbug. My commute time is suffering this week. Going to be worse tomorrow when Tiger tees off at 8:00 am.
Old June 11, 2008, 02:36 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

I wish Tiger Wuss loses, specially after those comments about hockey.
Old June 11, 2008, 03:40 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
lol, did you see is retraction. He said he tried to be funny. Apparently you folks (ice hockey fans) and some media people didn't get it. lol. The Canadians took those comment as "gali". I believe him. Had he not included Dodgers I would also hold the comment against him.

You can't hate the guy. The guy is just too good of a person on and off the field.
Old June 11, 2008, 03:43 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Bah Humbug. My commute time is suffering this week. Going to be worse tomorrow when Tiger tees off at 8:00 am.
What is the price of jet fuel nowadays? I thought that is how you roll!!
Old June 14, 2008, 09:27 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Your Favorite Athlete < Tiger Woods

Magic @ 13, 17 and 18 on 1 leg is Crazy
Old June 14, 2008, 09:48 PM
Administrator

The 30-foot eagle on 18th. Enough said.
Old June 15, 2008, 05:51 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

After a relatively poor start, Woods is back in the lead after 10th hole.
Old June 15, 2008, 08:21 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Miracle Putt to force a Playoff Tiger Woods is not human
Old June 15, 2008, 08:23 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Why are they going to the fifth round.
Dont they have something like tie-breaker in golf
Old June 16, 2008, 02:08 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
কি কইহিলো ?

Tiger's the reason why I even got into golf. He succeeded where my late father (RIP) failed miserably. So, no matter how clueless he may be about the greatest sport in the world, I can root for no other ...

It's nothing less than awe-inspiring to watch him do what he has been doing, especially so soon after surgery.

Seriously bro, can't possibly say anything else after that putt to force the issue.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; June 16, 2008 at 09:41 AM..
Old June 16, 2008, 09:10 AM
Cricket Savant

Unbelievable. Simply unbelievable!! Was there any more pressure putt? 72nd hole must birdie to force a playoff. As Rocco mentioned you can never bet against that guy. His reaction says it all. All this on one leg. Amazing!! Can't put enough adjectives. Still 13-0 in Majors when sharing or having a lead after 54 holes. We have to wait to see if Rocco can do the magic one more time.

That 2nd shot at 13 was horrendous. He went for eagle??? Why?? Cost him a bogie. With the lead with one shot he needed to be conservative. An easy birdie would have had iced it then and there. he would have moved to -3 with a clear 2 shot from Rocco. Rocco had to force his shots had the situation continued.

Nevertheless, I couldnot move from my sofa. Not even a bathroom break. That speech by his father is still ringing in my ears. "You can never be mentally tough as I am in your entire life." Most of the Army Brats know that is so true.
Old June 16, 2008, 09:15 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
Why are they going to the fifth round.
Dont they have something like tie-breaker in golf
Most of the tournaments have Sudden death, 3 holes or combinations of those. US Open Championship courses are the most brutal courses and drains everything from players. That is why they want to give a fair chance to everyone and have a 18 hole playoffs. Some may have advantages on certain holes long or short. Since the playoffs is on all 18 holes that is out of the equation.
Old June 16, 2008, 09:16 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
The 30-foot eagle on 18th. Enough said.
Fortune favors the bold.
Old June 16, 2008, 09:26 AM
Cricket Savant

Not trying to diminish the sport but comparing Hockey with Golf is like:

Players giving 70+ times a breakaway penalty shots each day say about from 15 yards out. Each and every shot is too important and tensed. You have continue this for four days in a row.

Even if that is a comparison. That is the closest I can do. (The hole is so tiny comparing to the goal) The goalie can be considered as the hazards (water, rough etc.). May be if someone misses two shots in a row then he has to shoot 20 yards out.
Old June 16, 2008, 09:54 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Not trying to diminish the sport but comparing Hockey with Golf is like:

Players giving 70+ times a breakaway penalty shots each day say about from 15 yards out. Each and every shot is too important and tensed. You have continue this for four days in a row.

Even if that is a comparison. That is the closest I can do. (The hole is so tiny comparing to the goal) The goalie can be considered as the hazards (water, rough etc.). May be if someone misses two shots in a row then he has to shoot 20 yards out.
To each his own but interesting take anyway Mijan.

Now consider this: -

Try and make the putt after warping your relationship with gravity and putting on skates, then try and deliver the deftest of touches to put one past a huge goalie past a small goal while 6'4" burly and aggressive Canadian guys are trying to take your head off at about 30 to 40 mph.

The zen-like ability to slow in down in your head while the world around you moves at top speed, so that you can make the right play as required by the unique stuation dictating the always changing role you're improvising, makes hockey what it is.

The First Nations settled their disputes this way before European settlers in Canada introduced skates, and replaced the long racket with modified hockey sticks as Lacrosse became a summer sport. It is integral to the very best the New World has to offer in terms of sport as a traditional test of manhood and character.

Put on some skates or rollerblades and put your stick down in the passing or shooting lanes and you'll see bro. Or better yet, go and see the Stars, Preds, Canes or the Thrashers live with your family, have an incredible time rinkside, and get hooked permanently.

TV just doesn't do the sport justice ...
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; June 16, 2008 at 10:29 AM..
Old June 16, 2008, 10:25 AM
Cricket Savant

Just 30 minutes away now, can't wait ...
Old June 16, 2008, 10:27 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
To each his own but interesting take anyway Mijan.

Now consider this: -

Try and make the putt after warping your relationship with gravity and putting on skates, then try and deliver the deftest of touches to put one past a huge goalie past a small goal while 6'4" burly and aggressive Canadian guys are trying to take your head off at about 30 to 40 mph.

The zen-like ability to slow in down in your head while the world around you moves at top speed, so that you can make the right play as required by the unique stuation dictating the always changing role you're playing, makes hockey what it is.

The First Nations settled their disputes this way before European settlers in Canada introduced skates, and replaced the long racket with modified hockey sticks as Lacrosse became a summer sport. It is integral to the very best the New World has to offer.

Put on some skates or rollerblades and put your stick down in the passing or shooting lanes and you'll see bro. Or better yet, go and see the Stars, Preds, Canes or the Thrashers live with your family, have an icredible time rinkside, and get hooked permanently.

TV just doesn't do the game justice ...
Nicely put Sohel.

I am a fan of Woods. Just not a fan of his words. He rarely does anything that doesn't involve money. I thought his comments were ignorant and elitist. But, yes, he is what golf is all about..
Old June 16, 2008, 10:38 AM
Cricket Savant

Thanks Sohel Bhai. I know how addictive Ice Hockey is. For once if someone watches any professional game in the ring the blood thurst comes out (even as a fan) naturally. That is how I felt 15+ years back. Wayne's retirement, labor lock, and other interests had moved me away from that sports. I had tried to skate years back when I was in Iowa. My rear was sore for several days. That was after I had wrapped a sweater around.

There is no comparison in physical skills required in Ice Hockey and Golf. but the Mental aspect of the game can not be compared also where Golf comes out way on top. Barring Olympics or Boxing may be, no other sports have more pressure and needs more determination and focus. In almost all sports one plays against other opponents. In Golf, one plays against the course first and then the opponent.
Old June 16, 2008, 10:42 AM
Cricket Savant

Mental aspects of hockey are tough to gauge for anyone who hasn't played the sport or thought about it as deeply, say as cricket or golf from an insider's POV ...

Golf, IMHO is the greatest GAME by a mile, and hockey is the greatest SPORT. Just make the time to go and see the Stars with your family bro, you won't regret it.

The physical dimension just adds to the amazing skill required just to stay on your skates, and the speed challenges the mind only such speed can.
Old June 16, 2008, 11:01 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Mental aspects of hockey are tough to gauge for anyone who hasn't played the sport or thought about it as deeply, say as cricket or golf from an insider's POV ... ...
My experience in the game itself (Ice Hockey) is nil. However, I did play Hockey (Field and floor hockey) alot. Floor hockey had all the same rules (with a puck and stick) as ice hockey but on a wooden floor. All these forms of hockey requires similar mental toughness as any team sports would require. Football, American Football, Rugby etc. Any individual sport faces more challenges than any team sport. Be it Tennis, Boxing or sprint. A three foot putt is not always a gimme. Golf makes a person humble and can bring him down to his knees. I am not sure any other sports can do that.
Old June 16, 2008, 11:01 AM
Cricket Savant

Bismillah, here we go.

GO GET 'EM TIGER !
Old June 16, 2008, 11:04 AM
Cricket Savant

Sohel bhai,
Office'a asi can't watch. Time to time ektu commentary diyen.
Old June 16, 2008, 11:05 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
My experience in the game itself (Ice Hockey) is nil. However, I did play Hockey (Field and floor hockey) alot. Floor hockey had all the same rules (with a puck and stick) as ice hockey but on a wooden floor. All these forms of hockey requires similar mental toughness as any team sports would require. Football, American Football, Rugby etc. Any individual sport faces more challenges than any team sport. Be it Tennis, Boxing or sprint. A three foot putt is not always a gimme. Golf makes a person humble and can bring him down to his knees. I am not sure any other sports can do that.
The skating, subsequent speed, and full body contact changes everything. I compare hockey to a martial art like Kendo, 3 on 1 combat for example. The skating makes it 1000% more difficult ...

By the phrase "insider's POV", I simply meant that one always has a deeper appreciation of anything one has done him/herself.

If you play cricket and golf, you're more than likely to have a deeper understanding of the sport.