facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 29, 2005, 02:18 AM
Street Cricketer

Default We don\'t utilise our youngstars properly

Yes, players like Ashraful and others are underperforming. But we have to see the roots first. We have to see how they are made cricketers.

We had a player like TENDULKAR in our Ashraful. But we wasted his talent. If a boy is performing well at the age 16, it doesn't mean that we have to make him play in the national site. He should have continued playing for the U19 and after that he should have been sent to Australian Institute of Sports for couple of years. Then play some county cricket in England. And after gaining all these experience, he should have played for Bangladesh. The same rules should have followed for Talha Jubair, Nazmul Hossain etc. We can take these examples from the fellow top cricketing nations- Australia, England, South Africa, New Zealand.

Imagine if we bring in player to the national side following the procedures mentioned above, we can get even a stronger cricket team than Australia. But if we continue to bring our young guns at 16, 17.........our team will never match the giants in cricket. We can do this job better than England and Australia because I feel Bangladesh has more talents than those countries. Bangladesh also has the most lively cricket fans in the world......away in front of India, Pakistan, Australia, England.

Old November 29, 2005, 03:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

You are 100% right. But the problem is, these young guys are much better than the old ones(no offense to the old guys, they are the pioneer in bringing us to this stage). And at the moment, when some over-smart people start questioning our test status, we can't afford reserving them for future use only.

Anyway, that's how life goes on and I am sure the young guys can cope with all these situations and can take BD cricket to a very bright future.
Old November 29, 2005, 09:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

well since young guns like ashraful and aftab already here, the best thing to do will be to keep giving them the exposure and hopefully in another 2 years they will be ready. At the same time, what you said is right and should be followed for the youngsters that are playing in age groups right now. We shouldnt hurry and let them fully develop before they face the real hard international world.
Old November 29, 2005, 12:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

I dont think thats a right asessment. Players like Wasim, Miandad, Dravid, Shevag, etc. never gone through that sort of 'making of a player' trainings and they did turn out to be match winners. Its really about your talent, passion, vision and attitude. Asraful doesnt have all of them. I doubt that he will ever reach that stature of any of the above mentioned.
Old November 29, 2005, 01:13 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

The thought process for this thread is good. But we do not have the resources (Money) to send all the talented youngsters to Aus or England. The best way is, to have a better domestic Cricket and only the extra ordinary ones (5 at most for a year or 2) will be at overseas training. Having good coaches at the school levels can elevate the standard of the game.

Quote:
Originally posted by Safwat
We had a player like TENDULKAR in our Ashraful. But we wasted his talent. If a boy is performing well at the age 16, it doesn't mean that we have to make him play in the national site.
Tendu and Ash? No, the world cannot produce another Tendu. Tendu did not go overseas to learn cricket. Nor did he play age group cricket after 16. Comparing Ash and Tendu is a crime.
CricInfo - Tendulkar profile
When he became the first batsman to score 50 hundreds in international cricket (added: currently 72 intl centuries), Sachin Tendulkar established himself as the greatest of all Indian cricketers. Recognised by Sir Donald Bradman as his modern incarnation, Tendulkar has a skill - a genius - which only a handful have possessed. It was not a skill that he was simply born with, but one which was developed by his intelligence and an infinite capacity for taking pains.... he learns every lesson, picks up every cue, dominates the opposing attack sooner or later, and nearly always makes a hundred. His bravery was proved after he was hit on the head on his Test debut in Pakistan, when he was only 16; and his commitment to the Indian cause has never been in doubt.... The awe of opponents was as great as that of crowds. But the finest compliment must be that bookmakers would not fix the odds - or a game - until Tendulkar was out.
Old November 29, 2005, 02:33 PM
Street Cricketer

There you go again..........Go put your thoughts about Tendulkar in the "Tendulkar Fan Club". We're discussing something serious about Bangladeshi Cricket.
Old November 29, 2005, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
We're discussing something serious about Bangladeshi Cricket.
which is the very fact that doesn't make it practical to talk of ash as highly as tendu.
Old November 29, 2005, 02:42 PM
Street Cricketer

U might be better of discussing cricket of Canada. U dont know whats going on in Bangladesh and its cricket !!!
Old November 29, 2005, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

oh yeah? what makes you think so?

bhai ulta palta kotha kom bolben doya kore.
Old November 29, 2005, 02:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Quote:
U might be better of discussing cricket of Canada. U dont know whats going on in Bangladesh and its cricket !!!
Dude calm down....... the point is there is no way we should compare ash with tendulkar as we will be more than happy if ashraful can achieve one quarter of what tendulkar achieved..... as for developing cricketers, unless we have strong domestic cricket I don't think thats possible.....

Edited on, November 29, 2005, 7:49 PM GMT, by sadi.
Old November 30, 2005, 09:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Dhakablues
I dont think thats a right asessment. Players like Wasim, Miandad, Dravid, Shevag, etc. never gone through that sort of 'making of a player' trainings and they did turn out to be match winners. Its really about your talent, passion, vision and attitude. Asraful doesnt have all of them. I doubt that he will ever reach that stature of any of the above mentioned.
I agree. But you can make Naseer Hossain, Clarke in this process.
Old November 30, 2005, 09:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

We had a player like TENDULKAR in our Ashraful. But we wasted his talent.
This is blasphamous. I am not a fan of Tendu but still Ash is not worthy enought to tie his shoe-lace.
Old November 30, 2005, 11:50 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Ash is not worthy enought to tie his shoe-lace.
Nice.....now I know about cricket in Bangladesh. This also proves the excitement of the game in Bangladesh and why our team is underperforming. THEBEST- till the time guys like you live in Bangladesh, our country can never improve on anything. One thing is for sure that no matter how badly Indian cricketers play, Indians would never dare to say something like that. Shame. You call your self Bangladeshi.........you're just a traitor !
Old November 30, 2005, 12:00 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Quote:
Ash is not worthy enought to tie his shoe-lace.
Nice.....now I know about cricket in Bangladesh. This also proves the excitement of the game in Bangladesh and why our team is underperforming. THEBEST- till the time guys like you live in Bangladesh, our country can never improve on anything. One thing is for sure that no matter how badly Indian cricketers play, Indians would never dare to say something like that. Shame. You call your self Bangladeshi.........you're just a traitor !
Wait a minute. Take a deep breath man... you may disagree with a member, but as far as I know based on forum rules you have no right to call another member a traitor or personally attack another member.

Some of us take the word "traitor" very seriously, and in my humble opinion you have no right to call another member a traitor. This is very disturbing development. We all are like part of the family with different point of view in different issue, but at the end we never take it personally after a healthy argument. So please don't destroy this environment.

btw.... criticizing Ash does NOT make some one less patriot than you are, I hope you realize that.

Edited on, November 30, 2005, 5:09 PM GMT, by Fazal.
Old November 30, 2005, 12:08 PM
Street Cricketer

[Edited: mod.content. Warning: Please be civil]

Edited on, November 30, 2005, 6:48 PM GMT, by Zunaid.
Reason: mod.content
Old November 30, 2005, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

"koydin por por....." i'll stop here...bakita bujhe nen shobai
Old November 30, 2005, 12:51 PM
Retired BC Admin

Dear Safwat

Since you are a new member, I'll let you go with just a reminder. Please read our Board Rules from the link at my signature.

We strongly discourage personal attacks of any kind. We may not always agree with each other but we pay due respect to opposing views.

You respect them and they will respect you.

Thank you very much.
Old November 30, 2005, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
"koydin por por....."
......ek ekta cheese kothai theke ashe?"

Edited on, November 30, 2005, 6:27 PM GMT, by banglar_dorbesh.
Old November 30, 2005, 01:26 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone

It is laughable to think that by "waiting" on Ashraful, sending him to Australian cricket academy and bringing him back will instantly make him as good as an Australian player.

Quality is something that must be grown from grass roots. The environment in which a player plays must be up to standard. That means that the whole BD cricketing community at international, domestic and club level must be rectified. Yes, going to top institutions like the ACA are benficial,. but long term it won't make a great deal of difference.

I think that BCB are working hard to improve this, evidenced by the high-performance initiative and U19 success. Richard McInness, and the new guy (forget his name), have done well, and the restructuring of the NCL are all good signs...

Also, Safwat, you're new here so don't be too arrogant just yet. Wait till you reach "triple figure postings" (ie. a century, haha!), then you can start "bashing" some people up
Old November 30, 2005, 02:09 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
There you go again..........Go put your thoughts about Tendulkar in the "Tendulkar Fan Club". We're discussing something serious about Bangladeshi Cricket.
Brother Safwat,
My post had two parts with your qoute in between. I think you have missed the first part of it which discussed your idea. The second part just says I do not agree with your analogy.

I am not a Tendulkar fan nor a Indian team fan. Born and raised in BD and very much concern about the current state of BD cricket and development. I am sure when I bleed it is the same color as yours. Welcome to BC.
Old November 30, 2005, 02:13 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

there is still hope for the likes of ash, aftab, and abir...if not then we might as well shut this site down, cuz there aint no hope after that.

ash, aftab, abir, nafees, mashrafee, shahadat, et al are still really young. it really doesn't matter how many matches they have played or how long, at 20-21, you just don't have the ability to take over like you will at 25. does it matter if a 15 year old is a student leader since he was 12? will he be a good head of state at 19 just because he was good leader at 15? no. he might be a good leader at 40, but not much earlier than that.

if these guys don't improve by 22, there is still hope. if they are inconsistant at 25, then they will never amount to anything.

michael jordan was amazing as a rookie, yet he didn't start winning championships til his 7th year (age 29).

kothai 29, ar kothai 19.

so be patient...i get just as frustrated as all you guys, but remember that you have to wait for good things. sometimes a long wait.

as great as tendy is, he hasn't ever won a WC. with such great batsmen as ganguly and dravid with him.

so if we can get some great players and win a WC anytime, we should be very happy indeed.

Edited on, November 30, 2005, 7:15 PM GMT, by al Furqaan.
Old November 30, 2005, 02:26 PM
Street Cricketer

Nice thougts dude......i like it.....you are the only person, talking on this issue.....and have some good points......nice.
Old November 30, 2005, 02:37 PM
Cricket Savant

You are so right al Furqaan. Age is certainly on Ash, Aftab and Abir's side. We hope they produce with abundance when they are 25+. We will patiently wait but for now we want consistancy.

The fuss here was comparing to Tendu. He not only produced at 16 but also in 17, 18, 19 20 ,21 ..... and was consistant.

Quote:
Originally posted by al Furqaan
michael jordan was amazing as a rookie, yet he didn't start winning championships til his 7th year (age 29).

kothai 29, ar kothai 19.
MJ (biggest fan) surely didn't win in 19 but he did produce. He justified his talent. There is a difference between producing and winning in a team sport. When all the puzzles are put in position only then a team can win. Everyone plays their role. I am not asking Ash, Aftab, Abir to win now but to perform on a consistant basis. If they have to change their style/approach towards the game so be it. MJ did.
Old November 30, 2005, 03:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Talent is Saqib Al-Hasan who has been consistent throughout and not a once in an 11 innnings talent like Ashraful/Aftab.

Trust me, we have enough of these so called talents ( remember Al Shahrier, Hannan?) as confirmed by our news papers but no match winning players. Slowly we will see that change as our U17/U19 players get into the system and graduate from their levels. The problem with ours is not the identifying the talents but to spoil them with too much hype, expectations and exploitations ( Mashrafee coms to mind...).
Old November 30, 2005, 03:19 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
MJ (biggest fan) surely didn't win in 19 but he did produce. He justified his talent. There is a difference between producing and winning in a team sport. When all the puzzles are put in position only then a team can win. Everyone plays their role. I am not asking Ash, Aftab, Abir to win now but to perform on a consistant basis. If they have to change their style/approach towards the game so be it. MJ did.
that might be a bad example. my apologies. look at kobe. his first 2-3 years he was atrocious at times. those air balls in the 4th quarter against (utah??) in the play offs caused Shaq and Co. to really be pissed.

of course NBA players come in with the physical aspect equal. kobe at 18, MJ at 22 was the same size as other players in teh league.

our boys are and always will be physically diminutive. so they have that extra mile to go.

btw, tendy was good, but he was not amazing by any means in his first 4 years.

he averaged 31, had 12 50s, and no hundreds.

ash has him beat in the 100s category at least.

i will say that tendy was miles ahead in terms of consistancy. he had 2X as many 50s (ash has 6). and his average was 50% higher. but ash can be a damn good player yet.

the thing i am trying to say is that, tendy and jayasuriya really took of in the latter years of their careers.

our guys can do the same. we MUST HAVE HOPE. otherwise we are not fans, we are haters. and there are no haters on this board (even SS bhai is a hardcore well-wisher).