facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 13, 2009, 03:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!
Default T20 over Test Cricket?

WI captain's view ..
Quote:
Chris Gayle has said that he doesn't want to captain West Indies for much longer because of the pressure the job entailed.

Gayle also said that he "wouldn't be so sad" if Test cricket eventually gave way to the Twenty20 version and hit back at Andrew Strauss, who had criticised the West Indies captain for arriving from the IPL just two days before the start of the Lord's Test, asking the England captain to "stay out of [other] people's business".
"To be honest with you there's a possibility I might give it [captaincy] up - I will be giving it up shortly," Gayle told the Guardian. "It's definitely not something I'm looking to hang on to. I need some time for myself, to be honest with you, it's a lot of travelling. There's always something you have to go and do, you know, extra. Lunch or dinner, some other thing, there's always something for the captain. I'm not that type of person. I can't take on too much. So soon I will be handing over this captaincy. I [will] soon finish with it."
Gayle, who took over the captaincy from Ramnaresh Sarwan in 2007, said he was looking for potential successors. "We're still looking at quite a few," he said. "So we just have to wait and see when the selectors decide - or whosoever decides. Then I'm ready. The chairman pointed out to me they want me to actually be the captain for right now. We have to see how it goes. I said, 'Don't be too long, though'."
Gayle took over the captaincy in the absence of Sarwan who was injured for the ODI series against England in 2007. The West Indies board initially rejected the selectors' move to appoint Gayle before reversing its decision. Gayle revealed that he was reluctant to take over the captaincy and had to be persuaded into the role. "At the time when I was asked I didn't want to be the captain," he said. "That's when it all started. We won the series and then I said to them, whenever Sarwan is fully fit, I am ready to step down. Maybe they saw something different, something totally different, and they asked me to be captain.
"I thought hard about it. I didn't want to be captain. I wanted to have more free time. I didn't want that added pressure at that particular time, but they actually insist, insist, insist, so I said OK. So I thought, just get on with it."
Gayle was then preferred as captain over Sarwan for the 2007-08 tour of South Africa. He resigned at a West Indies directors' meeting last July following the home series against Australia due to disagreements over selection but was persuaded to stay on by WICB president Julian Hunte.
Gayle was the subject of much criticism for extending his IPL stint with the Kolkata Knight Riders and joining his West Indies team-mates only 48 hours before the first Test at Lord's, a match which they lost inside three days. Strauss had said that "we wouldn't want our players to arrive two days before" a Test. He added that it was important for Test cricket to get the attention it deserved and that it shouldn't be devalued in "any way, shape or form".
Gayle, however, responded to Strauss's comments by saying that the matter "doesn't concern him". "Focus on his team, don't worry about West Indies, don't worry about me. Tell him don't sleep with Chris on his mind, tell him get Chris off his mind," Gayle said.
While Gayle said he wouldn't be worried if the primacy of Test cricket were to be reduced, he said Strauss ought to be because the England captain may not be able to adapt to the shorter format. Strauss, who is England's Test and ODI captain, isn't part of the squad for the World Twenty20 in June.

"I wouldn't be so sad [about the demise of Test cricket]," Gayle said. "Some other players would be. Maybe Andrew Strauss would be sad. Maybe he will be sad if Test cricket dies and Twenty20 comes in. Because there is no way he can make the change. So tough luck. I like Twenty20. Who doesn't? Maybe a couple of the Englishmen wouldn't like to play Twenty20."
© Cricinfo

Old May 13, 2009, 04:22 AM
Test Cricketer

To each his own. We may say we like tests better than T20s. But Gayle is entitled to his own choices. If enjoys T20s and does not like tests, its his choice.
Old May 13, 2009, 04:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer
To each his own. We may say we like tests better than T20s. But Gayle is entitled to his own choices. If enjoys T20s and does not like tests, its his choice.
I would not create a new thread based on your comments. He is a very good cricketer that is why we value his comments regarding future of cricket.
Old May 13, 2009, 04:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Yeah, all hail Gayle, hes a respected citizen lol, probably informally sledging Strauss there so there can be some "anger" or "hatred" (not literally) in their next test match
Old May 13, 2009, 04:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

British journalism! I do not see any problem in what Gayle has said. It is his choice, if he enjoys both formats, or gives priority to one above the other. His arriving two days before the match is a matter between him and his employee and it is certainly not Strauss's concern. The journalist should criticize Strauss's comments than twisting Gayle's speech and putting their own words in Gayle's mouth to portray him as an enemy to test cricket.
Old May 13, 2009, 06:06 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

If he wants to give up captaincy thats fine but he had the potential and i don't see anyone but bravo who could lead this team
Old May 13, 2009, 11:13 AM
Test Cricketer

I think the English need to learn to concentrate in their own problems......and they have plenty. They have not been doing very well in either format of the game. Ashes is coming closer and in all probability they will be thrashed yet again.
Old May 13, 2009, 01:06 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Chris Gayle has claimed his comments about Test cricket were misinterpreted, but is under huge pressure going into the second Test at Chester-le-Street
Old May 13, 2009, 01:21 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

I demand a poll for this thread.
Old May 13, 2009, 01:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

with those pitches in WI and elsewhere test match cricket is doomed much more by board officials than players like gayle. after all its their personal matter which version to play.

what cricket administrators can do is to use money gained from T20 to increase payment for test matches by a big margin.
Old May 13, 2009, 01:28 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Gayle is lazy!
Old May 13, 2009, 01:34 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel Here
with those pitches in WI and elsewhere test match cricket is doomed much more by board officials than players like gayle. after all its their personal matter which version to play.

what cricket administrators can do is to use money gained from T20 to increase payment for test matches by a big margin.
Post of the week for me.

++++

Board officials = money hungry luichaa people!!

When 1st innings continues in the fifth day .... That even when the first team declared ....
Old May 14, 2009, 11:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel Here

In your dream only. The cricket administrator with the exception of the Aussies are worst of the lot of all sports (those I am interested) administrators .
Old May 14, 2009, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Play both and get rid of ODI cricket - too long, yet not long enough.
Old May 14, 2009, 12:01 PM
Cricket Savant

T20: a quick one in bathroom stall
ODI: one-night stand
Test: long term marriage...

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old May 14, 2009, 12:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Play both and get rid of ODI cricket - too long, yet not long enough.
I actually agree with this. ODI's can be replaced with 20/20 easily.
Old May 14, 2009, 12:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal Bhar
Its more like

20/20: A couple of one-night stands

ODI: A dating relationship with movies and ice cream

Test: A long term marriage

I like the food analogy

20/20: a greasy cheeseburger

ODI: Nandos Chicken meal

Test: A big Steak dinner

I like ODI, because it matches my life style
Old May 14, 2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal Bhar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
Its more like

20/20: A couple of one-night stands

ODI: A dating relationship with movies and ice cream

Test: A long term marriage
Twenty20 = Olivia
Test = Bobita

Old May 14, 2009, 11:40 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Strauss succeeded in pi$$ing Gayle off, and of course "medical" Mary Jane played her part in the tirade. Really sucks to have folks rain on your little parade.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; May 14, 2009 at 11:46 PM..
Old May 15, 2009, 01:27 AM
Test Cricketer

Lol....Gayle dismissed Strauss. Call it irony.
Old May 15, 2009, 04:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
Twenty20 = Olivia
Test = Bobita

Kapurush bhai, have you seen Bobita recently?
She was so sweet at that time and now it is exactly the opposite.

About the test vs. ODI vs. T20 vs. 6-a side issue, I would rather go for each of them. Each of these formats has its own attraction; personally I never found a test match boring only because it is a test or a T20 exiciting only because it's a dhum dharakka batting. The main thing is the competition, which can make things interesting for a true cricket fan. Each format needs intelligent planning and execution.

Now, shorter version of the game can probably attract more people, which can eventually make it a global sport. I support the status things also so that a cricket nation can have the hunger to improve their game in order to achieve a Test or ODI status. However, it should not looked at from an elitist attitude; rather it should be maintained to improve the quality of the game. Spreading cricket over more nations can only do good to it; it brings money, it creates more options to the players and more importantly, it reduces the risk of monopoly, which should create a fair atmosphere for all.

Last edited by Baundule; May 15, 2009 at 04:16 AM..
Old May 15, 2009, 02:06 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Not even a question.
T20 will survive but Test will still be played with its humble and auspicious solemnity.
Old May 15, 2009, 11:12 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Gayle has earned enough & have prospect of earning more, to even give up intl cricket and concentrate on IPL & 20/20s else where. Just like Hayden, Gilli and a few others have done.
Old May 16, 2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baundule
Kapurush bhai, have you seen Bobita recently?
She was so sweet at that time and now it is exactly the opposite.

About the test vs. ODI vs. T20 vs. 6-a side issue, I would rather go for each of them. Each of these formats has its own attraction; personally I never found a test match boring only because it is a test or a T20 exiciting only because it's a dhum dharakka batting. The main thing is the competition, which can make things interesting for a true cricket fan. Each format needs intelligent planning and execution.

Now, shorter version of the game can probably attract more people, which can eventually make it a global sport. I support the status things also so that a cricket nation can have the hunger to improve their game in order to achieve a Test or ODI status. However, it should not looked at from an elitist attitude; rather it should be maintained to improve the quality of the game. Spreading cricket over more nations can only do good to it; it brings money, it creates more options to the players and more importantly, it reduces the risk of monopoly, which should create a fair atmosphere for all.
Nicely said.