facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 25, 2008, 10:03 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza
Default Why did we lose this test?

1. Incompetence of the Curator
Mr. Bodiul Alam has no clue how to make a pitch. Time and over, he makes a pitch, and announces this to be a specific type and match time it totally the opposite. We needed a spin friendly wicket against a team that has good fast bowlers, what did we get? Can we please fire this guy and hire someone from Sri Lanka (like before) to make the pitches, right.

2. Worst selector ever
The team of Rafiqul, Durjoy and Akram sucks. These guys goes on whim, makes something up and immediately strongly believe it. The teams they have selected has be ridiculous and its time we put a stop to this idiocy. There is intelligence behind going into a test with 3 full time bowlers plus one all rounder.

3. Mushfiq
He may be the future, but he is definitly not the present. Please bring Pilot for the 2nd test.

4. Rafiq
I like him, but lets face the fact, in home ground, Enamul is much better than him. It was Enamul who gave us the first test win, not Rafiq.

5. Tamim
Please don't play unless you feel fit. The physio can only check if you can move or not, its you who has to be honest and tell the management you are not comfortable to play yet. Don't cost the country for your one day of extra salary.

6. Bashar
If you have any dignity left, please retire now, before the 2nd test, so that someone else can come in and help us score better than you can.

7. Masri
Leave your problems at home, don't bring it to work. Just cause your personal life sucks, does not mean your professional life can not be a success. Please grow up.

8. Steve Bucknor
He is almost 62 years old, and his calls were not up to mark on this test. His calls were wrong for both teams. However, SA has many great players and the wrong calls he made, did not hurt them as much (but it could have). It did cost us a lot. We have barely a team and when some bad calls go against key players, we have no one to make that up. Always, the bad calls hurt the weak team lot more than the stronger teams.

Last edited by Mahmood; February 25, 2008 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: Added point 8

Old February 25, 2008, 10:15 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Enamul would have returned with similar bowling analysis like Shakib. It's the consistency and experience of Rafiq that gives him the edge over all other current spinners.

I agree with the rest.
Old February 25, 2008, 10:18 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood
4. Rafiq
I like him, but lets face the fact, in home ground, Enamul is much better than him. It was Enamul who gave us the first test win, not Rafiq.
I would not completely agree. I think we have played enamul in a home test series after that Zimbabwe win, and I can't recall any notable performance. Rafique on the other hand can use his experience and deliver. He has taken atleast 4 wickets in this test where the pitch was pace friendly. However, I would play 2 full time spinners - Rafique and Enamul for next test.

Quote:
6. Bashar
If you have any dignity left, please retire now, before the 2nd test, so that someone else can come in and help us score better than you can.
If Bashar sits then we can confidently go with 2 spinners, and may replace Bashar with Farhad or Rajin depending on what kind of pitch is being prepared.

Quote:
7. Masri
Leave your problems at home, don't bring it to work. Just cause your personal life sucks, does not mean your professional life can not be a success. Please grow up.
Is masri really going through personal problems? Any valid reason for your suspicion? Or, are you saying that because his performance came down after marriage? I was feeling more like he needs a break because he does not look fully fit when he is bowling. He has lost the fire in him, may be a break can bring it back. I would go with Sajjadul for next test.
Old February 25, 2008, 10:23 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

I would put Ashraful's batting as one of the reason for losing this test. Being a captain, and being blessed with such talent and ability, he should have played more responsibly specially in the first inning where he was in a hurry and in 20/20 mood.
Old February 25, 2008, 10:23 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell, aftab ahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Enamul would have returned with similar bowling analysis like Shakib. It's the consistency and experience of Rafiq that gives him the edge over all other current spinners.
You can't know that for sure miraz bhai! The only certain thing is that rafique is more experienced, but that doesn't mean he'd get more wickets than enamul. after all bashar is more experienced that Junaed and Shakib, yet he scored fewer runs than either of them.

Rafique got some crucial breakthroughs but just when we were hoping he'd get another he failed. It was shahadat who got us through the 1st test with anything resembling pride. we were definitely a one bowler light.

As for Mash, I thought he bowled really well just before the close of play on day 2. But the rest of the time he was rubbish. I hope he contnues to improvement in the next game. Mash does give us useful runs lower down the order. Rafique, surprisingly, didn't, even though he has plenty of experience and used to be an opener!...
Old February 25, 2008, 10:34 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu2abu
You can't know that for sure miraz bhai! The only certain thing is that rafique is more experienced, but that doesn't mean he'd get more wickets than enamul. after all bashar is more experienced that Junaed and Shakib, yet he scored fewer runs than either of them.

Rafique got some crucial breakthroughs but just when we were hoping he'd get another he failed. It was shahadat who got us through the 1st test with anything resembling pride. we were definitely a one bowler light.

I am not saying Rafique is more effective because of his experience. It's the consistency and experience combined that made Rafique superior. Shahadat claimed more wickets but Rafique kept things really tight from the other end. If someone was leaking runs from the other end, the situation could have been completely different.

Please don't compare Rafique with others, he always gave 100% and performed.

Except Zimbabwe series, I haven't seen any great or penetrative bowling spell from Enamul.
Old February 25, 2008, 10:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Rafiq has done well in this test match. If Enamul should play, he should play as the second spinner behind Rafiq. Rafiq did take four wickets in this game where anyone but Shahadat looked really toothless.

Mashrafee really frustates me. I agree with Mahmood bhai fully. I feel like he is going through some sorta personal problem and is not concentrating on his game. You have to see this as your job and have to give your hundred percent all the time. Maybe a break will help him get his focus back. Siddons should be really specific on what he wants from Masri.

I am sure Tamim will come back strong in this game. I guess the team management should've realized that he is short on match practice and give him some more time to recover. I can't really blame the kid. I think he was fit enough to play but wasn't ready enough.
Old February 25, 2008, 10:47 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Just to clear everyone, I dont know for sure if Masri has personal issues at home. But I read him interviews in newspapers where he stated he has some personal problem and that is barring him from concentrating at him game.
Old February 25, 2008, 10:52 AM
Cricket Sage

how come we dn't include rajin in the final 11...doesn't he hav a gud record of playing at home???
Old February 25, 2008, 10:55 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

I agree with Miraz bhai. I don't think Enamul has improved as a top quality bowler. His only good performance was against Zimbabwe. He even not that much successful in domestic cricket. I don't know why; but it's evident that Enam failed to live per expectation.
Old February 25, 2008, 10:59 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Adding to Mahmood bhai, I think the main reason behind the failure is lack of proper planning.IMO this JS guy is doing ok. But he doesn't get necessary assistance from others; not from the board, not from the selectors or not from the players.

There is no vision in our approach towards the game. This is no cricket. Cricket means planning and going with it. Unluckily our top management ( axing JS from the list) don't know and care about it.
Old February 25, 2008, 11:02 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Just to clear everyone, I dont know for sure if Masri has personal issues at home. But I read him interviews in newspapers where he stated he has some personal problem and that is barring him from concentrating at him game.
Yes, you are correct. he is having some personal issues and trying to get through them. however, his replacement doesn't give me enough confidence unless it is Rasel. Rasel may not have pace like Sajidul but he has a head like Rafique. he will get Smith with his super slow ball every time because Smith trying to be cautious, plays Rasel in the back foot exposing his wickets.

Obviously Rafiq is far superior in the thinking game in setting up his prey than any BD bowler (in the history). Rasel is second best on that. Enam Jr. or Abdur Razzak will be huge pairing with Rafique.

Mushi got to sit (I love him but).

Habibul Bashar got to open up batting camp for U-15 year olds in Kushtia and other places right away. If Habibul Bashar plays 2nd test, then he needs to come after Mashrafe at 11. That is how a message Siddons can send to the selectors and players.

So definitely one change is necessary. Two change will do the team a great favor.
Old February 25, 2008, 11:08 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Now, that I hear about Masri's personal problem, I think as a vice captain and a contributing and responsible member of the team, he should step away from the next test even if selectors force him. If you know you can't focus on your game because of your personal problems, then you should not play.
Old February 25, 2008, 11:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

In the first test match, BD played with 8 players( minus Mash, Tamim and Bashar), SA played with 12 players including Buchnor.

The odds were against them, but they did not do too badly, If they had posted a first innings total of 250+ and cruised to over 200 in the second innings, they had a chance of winning.

I hope the best team is chosen for the second test regardless of selectors favourites and they really wake up and see the situation for what it really is and dont let sentiment rule their judgement.
Bashar and Mash really need to be rested, with Bashar permanently getting the boot.
Old February 25, 2008, 11:29 AM
Cricket Sage

For me its pretty simple,

Except for Junaid, SN (sort of), Aftab, Shahadat and Rafiq, all of the rest are the reason for our failure.

So go figure who are the REST.
Old February 25, 2008, 11:32 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Myself

Why don' we just admit that our bats men does not have a clue how to play against a top order international team. Again and again we are finding an escape goat, the management, umpire or the pitch. Everything was the same for SA how come they manage to bat and ball, and even we had the advantage of playing home. According to me an international team should be able to play under any condition and on any kind of pitch. Yes performances may differ but with our team always the same results.
Old February 25, 2008, 11:38 AM
Cricket Guru

The kind of favoritism our selectors (including Siddons) are showing towards certain players is really making me angry. This kind of favoritism is going to hurt us more than losing one match.
Old February 25, 2008, 11:42 AM
Cricket Legend

We lost this Test because some heads just exploded when match started to look in our grasp.
Old February 25, 2008, 11:43 AM
ODI Cricketer

1. Team composition was wrong. Sakib is not an all rounder, he's a batsman who can bowl a bit. Sakib plays the same role as Rajin: he's an anchor around which the team can build around. It hurts me to see him bat at 7, he can contribute zilch there. He should bat at 5 so that Aftab or a strokemaker can come after him and play shots, secure in the knowledge that the other end will be held up.

2. Pitch didn't crumble as we expected. In fact, after day 2, the pitch didn't crumble at all. Almost all the batsmen started playing on the front foot which negated any problems that could arise from low bounce. The pitch was pretty slow as well and hence any spin was very easily negated of the backfoot as well. De villiers inning was an example of that.

3. tamim should not have played. He looked well short of match fitness. His second dismissal was an example of how he struggled to even pick the correct length.

4. This is related to point no 1. We lacked another strike bowler. We have one extra batter in this team (Shumon) and we either need a genuine allrounder (reza) or an out and out bowler (rajjak/sajid).

5. Shumon

6. SA bowled and batted remarkably in the second innings. The bowlers, esp kallis, esp got the ball reversing much like Shadat did in the second innings while the batters finally got their footwork right and stayed predominantly on the front foot and defended with the bat in front of the bat, and not adjacent to the pad as is conventional defence. Makes a big difference on pitches like this.

In defense of umpires: both had a fair game. To those who weren't at the field, I would say every single dismissal (except rafique's and Prince's) looked out to me while sitting right behind the umpires. It's one thing to watch the decisions on tv at slo mo, quite something else to judge live.

In defence of Mushfiq: he had a great game behind the stumps and had an unlucky decision going against him. we should persist.
Old February 25, 2008, 11:45 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Rafiq!!! r u kidding? he was the only thing going for us.

Mash er shomasha onno jaygay. He is scared. Look at his protection when he comes to bat in a low slow pitch? i mean number 11 shahadat doesn't have that much protection. and the way he jumps out to the leg side tells me he is very scared of the bowlers and thats causing his down fall in his bowling. This needs to get fixed before we can find our old mash...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old February 25, 2008, 11:47 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally Posted by samircreep
In defence of Mushfiq: he had a great game behind the stumps and had an unlucky decision going against him. we should persist.
Bro he missed at least two stumping which could have made the difference also he never went for one catch which dropped short in front of the 1st slip but thats the area a keeper suppose to jump and try to get to the ball and he never even tried that...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old February 25, 2008, 11:53 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell, aftab ahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
I am not saying Rafique is more effective because of his experience. It's the consistency and experience combined that made Rafique superior. Shahadat claimed more wickets but Rafique kept things really tight from the other end. If someone was leaking runs from the other end, the situation could have been completely different.

Please don't compare Rafique with others, he always gave 100% and performed.

Except Zimbabwe series, I haven't seen any great or penetrative bowling spell from Enamul.
You may be right about enamul. but we won't know how well he's doing unless he's given a good run in the side. that probably won't be until after rafique retires.

As for Rafique always giving 100%, that's not true. Rafiqe bowled poorly against Sri lanka last year (2 wickwets in 3 innings) and the selectors were disappointed with his lack of application in the NCL which is why he was left out of the NZ series...
Old February 25, 2008, 11:55 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash, Moyna, Cutter, Task

we lost the test because of some jackass*..(I'm not getting banned i hope)
#1 is Habla Bashar. (Goru kore gorur Dudher ad)
#2 is SN..( I still believe in him, he needs 2 see a psychologist)
#3 Mushfiqur Rahim (what not can i say)
#4 all other batsmen

Last edited by Ehsan; February 25, 2008 at 03:20 PM..
Old February 25, 2008, 12:01 PM
ODI Cricketer

Both stumping chances were not easy. But i would agree that he should have done better at placing the slippers closer, esp after seeing SA's mistakes. But ash as skipper should shoulder some responsibility too. My point is since Pilot has already announced that he's leaving, there's no point in picking him. My opinion is we should continue to invest in Mushy. Trust me, he will come good.
Old February 25, 2008, 12:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

come on people,dont bash mushy.i know some people are talking about him missing stumpings but if you watched the match then you would have seen how much effort he put into stopping a few boundries.displayed some fantabulous dives.as 4 his batting,ITS ALL BUCKNOR'S FAULT!!!!!and please dont raise a finger against tamim and rafique.rafique fattaye bowling korse and tamim was just unlucky.how many times do u see a bd batsmen making 2 50's in a country like nz and that 2 against them?