facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 24, 2006, 06:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Resilience

My boy Beamer stated in another thread that Rana, while resilient, is not the only resilient player ever to play for BD!

Quote:
Originally posted by Beamer

He is not the only "resillient" and hard working player around. Poeple are infatuated with those qualities about him as if he is the only one with them.
Actually, while I have always maintained that Rana is resilient, I have to agree that the way the Rana fans talk about it, its as if he is the only one who has fought for BD.

Rana has played 21 ODI innings and in those 21 innings, he crossed 30 runs 3 times (63, 43 and 33). I have to hand it to him, they were all pretty resilient innings when the team itself didn't do to well. And one of those innings, the 63 against Zimbabwe, was the highest score for our side! Well done to Rana!!

But while we are talking about resilience, shall we also give credit to another player who stood up for Bangladesh when all others around him failed? Of course that player is none other than Alok Kapali! Few examples:

Lets start with the 45 against Australia at Colombo out of a score of 129. Next highest score in the match: 27.

How about the 34 against Australia at Cairns out of a total of 147? Needless to say it was the highest score again.

The 49 against Australia at Darwin out of a total of 142? The next highest score in the match was again 27!

Not impressed by his efforts against the world's best team?

How about his 71 out of our 168 against South Africa in Dhaka? The next highest score was 24!

Or the 89 not out out of a total of 190 against West Indies? Next highest score was 42!

Even his 32 against SL in the World Cup match out of the team's total of 124 was the highest score!

If a 63 against Zimbabwe can be the prime example of resilience followed by two other scores above 30, lets not leave out Kapali from our list of resilient BD batsmen. I don't think any other BD batsman has played as many fighting knocks against quality opposition as Kapali has (except perhaps Khaled Mashud)!

Old March 24, 2006, 06:59 PM
BC Editorial Team

Ahem, Sham, are you resorting to math?

BTW I agree that Kaps is a good pressure player - just unluck that boy.
Old March 24, 2006, 07:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by RazabQ
Umm, not really. I could simply trump Rana's 1 half century with Kapali's 5! But Kapali scored two 50s against Pakistan that I havent even mentioned because they don't fall under this category.

I'm just giving credit where its due for resilience to both Rana and Kapali! And to do that, one must look beyond just numbers.
Old March 24, 2006, 07:08 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Not a big Rana or Kapali fan but Wanna talk about Resilience?

Remember right befor the Zimbabwe ODI series our Captain said he wanted a Whitewash almost a guarntee. Bangladesh go down 2-0. You remember that about to lose a series to a 'B' side Zimbabwe squad.

Guess who plays big in ODI's 3,4 & 5. With Figures of 4/34, 4/36 and 2/21. Give you another hint he was MOM in ODI 3 and 4.

ODI # 3
ODI # 4

Hey if Rana performs today i wanna see as much butt kissing to rana that kapali got for his 55.
Old March 24, 2006, 07:14 PM
Cricket Legend

I was talking primarily about batting resilience because our batting fails a lot more than our bowling!

But if you want to include bowling, sure those were good performances by Rana and I gave him credit at the time! But he wasn't the only bowler bowling well in those matches while everyone else was being whacked around, so I'm not really sure if they fall within this category.

If you want to see a resilient bowling performance, check out today's scores between SL A and BD A. If it weren't for Enamul, God knows how much SL A would have scored!
Old March 24, 2006, 07:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Thanks for those nice stats. I'm sure many of us forgot those innings as the days passed. But obviously it's a nice refresher post. Yes, this guy is very talented and the way he plays his shots is simply exciting.

He does not have any lacking in talents. All he is lacking is just luck which is unfortunately very important when you talk about batting. Let's hope that he returs with a good omen.
Old March 24, 2006, 07:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Quote:

I am sure you can make a list like that about every player. It seems like in every game one or two guys stand up and everybody else sucks.

So here you go Golla/Bashar/Rajin/Pilot/Nafis/Atahar/Rokibul/Nannu fans. Make your list....
Old March 24, 2006, 07:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by pagol-chagol
Quote:

I am sure you can make a list like that about every player. It seems like in every game one or two guys stand up and everybody else sucks.

So here you go Golla/Bashar/Rajin/Pilot/Nafis/Atahar/Rokibul/Nannu fans. Make your list....
Hey I didn't say it was an exhaustive list. Someone else can add someone else's name to the list of resilient BD batsmen if they want to. I am just highlighting one particular player. If you add a few more, it further supports our case that the word resilient doesnt only belong next to the name of Rana!

Also, you are right, in most shambolic performances, one person usually stands out. But when a player has done it several times against quality opposition, it deserves a special mention. Before last years Natwest Series, Kapali was the highest scorer in 3 out of the 4 ODIs we played against Australia. That quite impressive.

Kapali's form dipped and therefore he hasn't performed for a while. Thats a different issue. But one can't say that he isn't a resilient batsman!

Edited on, March 25, 2006, 12:47 AM GMT, by Sham.
Old March 25, 2006, 05:49 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sham

But while we are talking about resilience, shall we also give credit to another player who stood up for Bangladesh when all others around him failed? Of course that player is none other than Alok Kapali! Few examples:

Lets start with the 45 against Australia at Colombo out of a score of 129. Next highest score in the match: 27.

How about the 34 against Australia at Cairns out of a total of 147? Needless to say it was the highest score again.

The 49 against Australia at Darwin out of a total of 142? The next highest score in the match was again 27!

Not impressed by his efforts against the world's best team?

How about his 71 out of our 168 against South Africa in Dhaka? The next highest score was 24!

Or the 89 not out out of a total of 190 against West Indies? Next highest score was 42!

Even his 32 against SL in the World Cup match out of the team's total of 124 was the highest score!

lets not leave out Kapali from our list of resilient BD batsmen. I don't think any other BD batsman has played as many fighting knocks against quality opposition as Kapali has (except perhaps Khaled Mashud)!

And that is exactly why Alok Kapali should be in the team. We as fans easily look at failures of our young batsman and very easlily forget what they have given to us in the past. May be I am giving Kapali unnessecary support but considering what has been happening to him, he needs the support. To me he is a number 7 in both forms of the game and someone who if works a bit in his bowling can be the fifth bowler for the team. I used to think and still think that he has the potential of being a genuine allrounder, however many people here think he is a batsman who can bowl. Even in that case he can easily be a fifth bowler and in both forms of the game. When experts are asked about what is the role of a fifth bowler in modern one day cricket, they would in short say that he is someone who would not be weakling in the bowling if not the strenght. In my opinion if my main four bowlers are going at 4/4.5 an over then my fifth bowler would do a good job if he goes for 5 an over (not 5.5/6). and in test if my fifth bowler has an average of 35 then he would do a good a job ( that is if my strike bowlers average around 25). he does not need to be my strike bowler but can add flexibitly. To prove my point lets go back to the second test vs Srillanka last year. A greenish wicket in Colombo's overcast sky. Ideal bowling combination would have been 3 pacers and 1 spinner. Agreed Bangladesh didn't have a great third seamer. But after having ur opposition 4 down before 50 and ur two seamers tired, it would have been ideal if there was a third seamer. However Bangladesh didn't have one and had to turn to Aftab for his bowling. the reason because in place of a third seamer there was a spinner playing. Agreed Bangladesh needed two spinners because they are used for a) taking wicket and b) damage control. However that test match did't have a pitch which deserved two genuine spinners. Had there been a third seamer Bangladesh could have kept the Srilanka under pressure and may have resricted them to a lower score. Having said that, u need to cosider Bangladeshi selecters mentality who probably was thinking "what if our seamers arnt sucessfull, what if the pitch loses its greenish tinj". In such a case the best situtaion would be either I have a an allrounder who could bowl seam/spin. With Alok Kapali Bangladesh could have had a spinner who may not have picked me a 5fer but would at least would keep the presure up by not giving runs. That would allow me to play a third seamer also. Also the fact that he plays well under pressure, one should remember that in each innings Bangladesh played they were in trouble had he been batting at 6/7 (in place of Tushar), may be things may ot have been as bad. This is just an example of what can happen but there is no doubt that luck is not with him.

Suffering from a bad patch, u come and play a good knock and looks to be coming to some sort of shape and form u get injured and hence not play the next game. Isn't that bad luck.