facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 6, 2011, 07:24 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: An honest player; a trier
BDFlag Target: England (I told you !!)

A lot of Banglacricket die-hards are hoping, and some expecting, a win against West Indies to take us to the quarter finals. I am surprised to not spot anyone tip us to beat England. I will make a case here as to why England is the 2nd best bet to topple a top 8 team ( or as the 2nd top 8 team to topple) and help make it to the semis.

England has just retained the Ashes in style. However, many forget they are the No.5 ODI team. They just concluded the ODI series tonight against Australia with a 6-1 defeat, which is bound to re-create doubts in their mind as to what their Wold Cup chances are. Now let us look at some particular aspects of the England team, their game and how it compares to hosts Bangladesh on March 11.

The English batting has recently been lacklustre. Trott, Cook and Strauss are their three best batsmen with Collingwood following them. Cook and Strauss can give England a solid start against Bangladesh. However, Cook shall be susceptible to the swinging ball, and Strauss can get out really early. Trott shall also be a big threat, holding onto one end early and hurting us if he stays past the 25 over mark.

After the top 3 however, England have Pietersen, who is hit-and-miss, and he struggles against Razzak. Eoin Morgan is another player who on his day is great but is still finding his feet in international cricket. Collingwood and Prior are good players, and can hurt us late in the game. However, any all-rounder England throws at us is almost guaranteed to be mediocre in batting. They would choke against our spin bowling, and only Swann in the late order can hit against our spinners. One other thing is English batsmen even struggled against the decent but unspectacula Dave Hussey and Steve Smith, both about the same level as Riyad. Imagine how much they might struggle against Shakib and Razzak on the Bangladeshi wicket.

In bowling, their strength has always been their pace bowling. However, once outside England and away from favourable conditions, their bowlers can struggle. This was demonstraed in Bangaldesh last year. An interesting outcome of the Australia series also was the long list of injuries. There is real concern from the English camp that Bresnan will be out. Shahzad, Swann, Broad, Tremlett and Collingwood are all recovering from injuries. Swann will however be the most troublesome bowler for England; however, I assume the Bangladeshis have an idea of how to tackle him by now. One other thing is dew could come in handy for the English.

The 7-match one day series between England and Australia on back of a 5-match Ashes series is bound to affect the fatigue level of players. It is a pity that the games are not being played in summer, when the English players would have been suffering from heat cramps etc.

The Bangladeshi players will no doubt target this game, with opportunity to go to the next round if they win this game, having already played Ireland and Windies. Tamim Iqbal will be licking his lips having found his favourite bowling attack at his mercy on his home ground at Chittagong. The surface may be sluggish, and this will no doubt help our spinners and cause endless trouble to the English batsmen. I expect/hope Razzak, Shakib and Tamim to win us this game with help from Shafi, Rubel and Imrul.

Probability of a Bangladeshi win: 40%.

Last edited by nahaz; March 11, 2011 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: Bragging rights

Old February 6, 2011, 07:34 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

After watching their miseries against OZ, i am really hopeful that we can tear them apart with our spin attack and medium pacer line up. Their batting is very vulnerable.
Old February 6, 2011, 07:36 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Viv - he made all scared

thats true mate. Moreover they will play us on march which is usually bit humid and if they field first in that match then we can add 10 more % to their defeat.
Old February 6, 2011, 07:38 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

I hope so...
Old February 6, 2011, 07:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ryan Ten Doescate

Well Morgan is injured, alhamdulilah, the one who stole the game from us in march.
Old February 6, 2011, 07:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

Plusss Morgan is injured I heard on BBC radio!!

Edit: Yes, BanglaGuy is quicker than me.
Old February 6, 2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahaz
I expect/hope Razzak, Shakib and Tamim to win us this game with help from Shafi, Rubel and Imrul.
You forgot to add Ash who will do the magic for the Tigers
Old February 6, 2011, 07:51 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

England has been coined as favorites to win the Cup by many experts along side India and SA. Therefore, they can easily get 4 wins (2 associates, WI, and Ind/SA) even if they lose to BD. WI on the other hand would beat up on Holland and Ireland. So there net Run rate may be better than us. Beating them (England) and losing to WI would mean we are not qualifying (Unless we end up with a better net run rate than WI).
Old February 6, 2011, 08:05 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: An honest player; a trier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
England has been coined as favorites to win the Cup by many experts along side India and SA. Therefore, they can easily get 4 wins (2 associates, WI, and Ind/SA) even if they lose to BD. WI on the other hand would beat up on Holland and Ireland. So there net Run rate may be better than us. Beating them (England) and losing to WI would mean we are not qualifying (Unless we end up with a better net run rate than WI).
Good point. I also realise that. I hope we win against both Windies and England, while thrashing ( as opposed to losing against) Ireland and Holland.

I don't know who the experts are, but I can bet my Ferrari that I will never have on England not winning the World Cup. There's no guarantee either that they'll beat West Indies if Gayle gets going. So we really should try and beat both. We could also beat South Africa with spin and Tamim/Ash...probability 20%.

P.S: Kalpurush bhai, I didn't add Ash as then it'll turn out into another Ash thread.
Old February 6, 2011, 08:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

Morgan is flying home to England, chances are that he will not play against BD.
Old February 6, 2011, 09:17 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Great post Nahaz bhai and enjoyed what you had to say there. I agree with you that England isn't as imposing as since they've gotten thrashed against Australia. One mistake you have made though is that Cook is not in the WC squad. It will probably be Prior and Strauss opening the proceedings. Strauss is a very good player that we have to watch out for. He has a good temperament and can play a lot of shots. Prior's a hit and miss type of player so we shouldn't have too much trouble with him. Trott is a very good player and even though not the fastest player, he does provide a quality anchor for them. Pieterson is weak against spin so I feel it won't be that difficult to get him out.

As for the bowling, Swann is their best bowler and will be a threat. So we have to watch out for him. The only pacer I'm really worried about is Anderson to be honest and we even played him pretty well. Shahzad and Bresnan are pretty good bowlers as well but with them battling injuries I see them struggling a bit.

Overall they are the better team and on paper they will be favorites but their definitely not an unbeatable team. We beat them once in their own conditions and should've beaten them in BD but thanks to the umpires we lost. We should be targeting all the teams in the group and not be afraid. We're capable of beating every team in our group.
Old February 6, 2011, 09:21 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Good point. I also realise that. I hope we win against both Windies and England, while thrashing ( as opposed to losing against) Ireland and Holland.

I don't know who the experts are, but I can bet my Ferrari that I will never have on England not winning the World Cup. There's no guarantee either that they'll beat West Indies if Gayle gets going. So we really should try and beat both. We could also beat South Africa with spin and Tamim/Ash...probability 20%.

P.S: Kalpurush bhai, I didn't add Ash as then it'll turn out into another Ash thread.
Well, then India becomes the most important match. If we can put everything and beat India, rest are Muri-Murki :-)
Old February 6, 2011, 10:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

Quote:

name dropping here,are we?
Old February 6, 2011, 10:18 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

if we can play to our potential we can beat ind,sa,wi and eng..we all know that..but the real qus is will we be able to maintain our consistency which we lack the most..
Old February 6, 2011, 10:28 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

Quote:
A lot of Banglacricket die-hards are hoping, and some expecting, a win against West Indies to take us to the quarter finals. I am surprised to not spot anyone tip us to beat England. I will make a case here as to why England is the 2nd best bet to topple a top 8 team ( or as the 2nd top 8 team to topple) and help make it to the semis.

The English batting has recently been lacklustre. Trott, Cook and Strauss are their three best batsmen with Collingwood following them. Cook and Strauss can give England a solid start against Bangladesh. However, Cook shall be susceptible to the swinging ball, and Strauss can get out really early. Trott shall also be a big threat, holding onto one end early and hurting us if he stays past the 25 over mark.

After the top 3 however, England have Pietersen, who is hit-and-miss, and he struggles against Razzak. Eoin Morgan is another player who on his day is great but is still finding his feet in international cricket. Collingwood and Prior are good players, and can hurt us late in the game. However, any all-rounder England throws at us is almost guaranteed to be mediocre in batting. They would choke against our spin bowling, and only Swann in the late order can hit against our spinners. One other thing is English batsmen even struggled against the decent but unspectacula Dave Hussey and Steve Smith, both about the same level as Riyad. Imagine how much they might struggle against Shakib and Razzak on the Bangladeshi wicket.

In bowling, their strength has always been their pace bowling. However, once outside England and away from favourable conditions, their bowlers can struggle. This was demonstraed in Bangaldesh last year. An interesting outcome of the Australia series also was the long list of injuries. There is real concern from the English camp that Bresnan will be out. Shahzad, Swann, Broad, Tremlett and Collingwood are all recovering from injuries. Swann will however be the most troublesome bowler for England; however, I assume the Bangladeshis have an idea of how to tackle him by now. One other thing is dew could come in handy for the English.

The 7-match one day series between England and Australia on back of a 5-match Ashes series is bound to affect the fatigue level of players. It is a pity that the games are not being played in summer, when the English players would have been suffering from heat cramps etc.

The Bangladeshi players will no doubt target this game, with opportunity to go to the next round if they win this game, having already played Ireland and Windies. Tamim Iqbal will be licking his lips having found his favourite bowling attack at his mercy on his home ground at Chittagong. The surface may be sluggish, and this will no doubt help our spinners and cause endless trouble to the English batsmen. I expect/hope Razzak, Shakib and Tamim to win us this game with help from Shafi, Rubel and Imrul.

Probability of a Bangladeshi win: 40%.

cook is not part of ODI squad.
Old February 6, 2011, 10:31 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shak,Tam,Soum,Musy,Mustaf

In our own day we are unbeatable......but i don't know how long we can keep going with our recent form.Storongly believe we can win the worldcup.
Old February 6, 2011, 10:52 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

"Target"ing days are long gone! Why think like minnows?
Every-bloody-team is a fair game...C'mon ye Tigers!
Old February 6, 2011, 11:20 AM
Club Cricketer

I think if we rate the probability of winning against the stronger teams then our chances should stand like this:
WI > SA > England > India.....
Old February 6, 2011, 12:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purbasha T
Plusss Morgan is injured I heard on BBC radio!!

Edit: Yes, BanglaGuy is quicker than me.
Thanks bhai, I'm as quick as allah lets me to be (btw he aggravated it in the two matches he played against aus, so YAY)
Old February 6, 2011, 12:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by psi
I think if we rate the probability of winning against the stronger teams then our chances should stand like this:
WI > SA > England > India.....
Firstly, we are now ranked higher than WI, so we are expected to beat them...
Old February 6, 2011, 12:54 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglaguy
Thanks bhai, I'm as quick as allah lets me to be (btw he aggravated it in the two matches he played against aus, so YAY)
that means when I will be watching BD batting live , I will hv to avoid refreshing the match thread as u will be the 1st one to post
Old February 6, 2011, 01:14 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglaguy
Firstly, we are now ranked higher than WI, so we are expected to beat them...
this is what scares me!
Old February 6, 2011, 01:17 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
this is what scares me!
you sissy!!!
Old February 6, 2011, 01:18 PM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

There is a chance Morgan is ruled out
That would be a huge blow for England

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old February 6, 2011, 01:19 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haru-party
you sissy!!!
haru vai ai sissy to puran hoia gelo..r kisu daken mia khati banglay!