facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 30, 2013, 01:18 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Anamul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
why would the pacers rest in Day 2 and 3? We can never bundle out any opposition within Day 1. Jodi bowing i na kore tahole pacer niye labh ki. Dressing room e boshe boshe dal bhat khawar jonno.
That was just an example but I know what you mean. My point was that 5 days of Test Cricket but our bowlers are most likely to rest for 2 of these days somewhere from days 1-5.

Old January 30, 2013, 01:22 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Anamul

Nazmul Hossain surprisingly has worked on his physique and has a strong upper bulky body but that shows that he's very smart and knows how to go about his bowling, diet etc. Shafiul Islam hasn't gained 1 pound and doesn't look like he's interested in gaining muscle weight which is the only thing about him that I find disappointing. Abul has a strong body but cannot bowl the basics and someone needs to help him out.

Us Bangladeshi's have this wrong mentality "eat more then become big and strong" - that phrase not only includes healthy food and good poultry but also junk food but can't blame them as the average person is clueless how different types of food can dramatically affect your body. Everytime our parents and grandparents teach this to our young Bangladeshi's in the UK community, they become very fat and unfit.

Last edited by Spiderman; January 30, 2013 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: Just to add.
Old January 30, 2013, 01:35 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Everyone needs protein and too much rice might increase the likelihood of getting diabetes later in life. Looks like our players' dietary habits are the same as the rest of the population. The need to eat a steak every day!
Old January 30, 2013, 01:37 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman
Nazmul Hossain surprisingly has worked on his physique and has a strong upper bulky body but that shows that he's very smart and knows how to go about his bowling, diet etc. Shafiul Islam hasn't gained 1 pound and doesn't look like he's interested in gaining muscle weight which is the only thing about him that I find disappointing. Abul has a strong body but cannot bowl the basics and someone needs to help him out.
Only if one player had all the traits!
Old January 30, 2013, 03:18 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
They need to eat a steak every day!
Are you serious?!

------

A many centuries ago, the Persian theologian, philosopher AND a physician named Fakhruddin Ar-Razi famously said, "you are what you eat". Unfortunately, not just the "masses" but a great many educated and "enlightened" elite members of the South Asian countries, today, have a very poor dietary knowledge, attitude or habit. It is quite a normal practice in most households to have dinner/supper very late at night and go to sleep with a FULL stomach -literally speaking. About rice -nothing wrong with it as long as its not so refined that there is almost no goodness/nutruition left in it. Most Bangladeshi or other south Asian peoples I know will only eat (refined) white rice. Less I talk about the curry, the degree of spiciness or the method of cooking the better. I hardly know any people who use sea salt (as opposed to the refined mass produced table salt) or raw brown sugar or wholemeal flour for their cooking or baking. These people are not exactly poor, either. Most of them are earning a good living. Could easily afford to eat 'organic' -if only awareness was there! (Rant over).

Thanks coach McInnes. You're a brave and a dedicated man, indeed. Otherwise, you woudn't have been back in BD for a second stint. Hope BCB pays attentions to your suggestions and not shun you. But BCB is BCB -like most of the other BD organisations or instituions. Ignorant/blind, incompetent, greedy and corrupt.

Wish you good luck. You will most definitely need it.
Old January 30, 2013, 03:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

It was really nice interview by Richard. It seem he wants to work,he wants to give us something but we dont have the ability to take from him.Thank you R Maccins for your brave interview.
Desperately need a professional BCB.
Old January 30, 2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer
haha, basically, training athletes need more protein, as they are constantly damaging and rebuilding muscle fibres. The muscle fibres require protein to regenerate and become stronger, without it they dont improve and dont recover as well, hence training intensity, quality and volume is reduced. Likewise with performance in matches, particularly Test matches, where you may be in the field for a day and half.

Lentils are 9% protein and rice contains 2% protein, where as a piece of chicken contains 31% protein. Obviously it costs more, yes, but if you are investing in players, coaches and gym equipment then you need to invest in the fuel. Hence my analogy about owning a ferrari or BMW and trying to put water in the tank, because its less expensive than petrol.
It's a shame that BCB can't or not willing to provide a proper meal/diet to our players! What they are doing with all those money being one of the richer cricket board amongst the elites?

If we can't control the corruptions in BCB (and in any other institutions/enterprises in Bangladesh), we won't be successful in world cricket or in anything.

We need a passionate and visionary leader at BCB (and Bangladesh). I would be delighted if that happen before I die.
Old January 30, 2013, 04:22 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
It's a shame that BCB can't or not willing to provide a proper meal/diet to our players! What they are doing with all those money being one of the richer cricket board amongst the elites?
Sorry KP bhai, why should BCB provide meals for players. They are not staying in BCB head quarters, are they?
Old January 30, 2013, 05:43 PM
Administrator

It's the culture stupid. Sigh. Ack gamla bhaat na khele mon bigrae jae.
Old January 30, 2013, 05:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
Sorry KP bhai, why should BCB provide meals for players. They are not staying in BCB head quarters, are they?
I might be wrong, but the point of academy is also to provide meal and accommodation to cricketers in the Academy team....
Old January 30, 2013, 09:23 PM
Cricket Legend

lololol too much daal-bhaat. Can't get over that. How pathetic.
Old January 30, 2013, 09:44 PM
Richard McInnes
Manager / Head coach, National Cricket Academy
Former BD U19 Coach

Lets not get too caught up on the food issue, that was simply an example of something that is controllable, manageable and will impact on performance. It is not the cure for all, but one part of a large puzzle.

If i was to summarize the current situation it might go something like this.
We have a cricket assembly line from district and school cricket up to the National team, we have all the basic framework along the way, but we are using TATA components to build our cricketer and expecting a BMW or Ferrari to come out the other end. We are producing some good players, some good TATA vehicles which are a ver good, affordable car for a particular market, but we are expecting to race against and beat the BMW's, Mercedes, Toyotas and Nissans for example. Our resourcing and system does not match our expectations, and we get disappointed when our TATA does not win.

The upside is that we can change many of the components as they are controllable and it does not necessarily have to cost a lot. We need to invest in people and systems to capitalise on the many advantages BD has over many other cricket nations. Population base, passion for cricket, public support, unmatched access to players, generally good facilities if we can harness these and then invest in our staff we can really move forward.

I would be interested in your thoughts on my analogy and whether you think it reflects the situation.
Old January 30, 2013, 09:50 PM
Cricket Sage

Coach that Tata vs. BMW analogy is perfect. In your honest opinion do you think it's possible to see the kind of changes that you are describing? I guess what I'm asking is, the administration that can make these changes happen, do they actually have the same vision/goal as you/fans?
Old January 30, 2013, 09:51 PM
Cricket Savant

Hate to be blunt, but I do not buy the automobile analogy. At the end of the day analogies are exactly what they are. Metaphors. For instance, what is the point of having a Ferrari in Bangladesh if you can't even drive in the traffic?

So similarly, fast bowling is not our forte. But cutting head to cure headache is not the case. I am not sure about Shoaib Akhtar or Indian seamers' diets but if they can get by without drastic changes I do not think food is the meat of the problem.

Also, why not build up on variations, or new deliveries in spin department? Why not subscribe to someone like Warne's calibre to help learn flipper et al. If SLAs are our forte, I don't see why should we NOT be bashful about it and hone our skills further.

This is not to say fast bowling quartet won't do wonders for our team. But why force the issue? Take the path of least resistance...

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old January 30, 2013, 09:54 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan

So similarly, fast bowling is not our forte. But cutting head to cure headache is not the case. I am not sure about Shoaib Akhtar or Indian seamers' diets but if they can get by without drastic changes I do not think food is the meat of the problem.
But how do you the changes they made are not "Drastic"? Coach clarified he was just using food as an example. He touched on the bigger picture, which is pretty much our cricket culture (invest in people and systems). The reason Shoaib Akhtar or Indian seamers can get by is because they already had a system in place when these guys came into the picture, mean while we are still trying to figure out what that system is.
Old January 30, 2013, 09:56 PM
Cricket Savant

Wait observer is Richard McInnes? I did not criticise him! :P

Old January 30, 2013, 10:00 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Hate to be blunt, but I do not buy the automobile analogy. At the end of the day analogies are exactly what they are. Metaphors. For instance, what is the point of having a Ferrari in Bangladesh if you can't even drive in the traffic?
Fair enough. Then don't expect to race like Ferrari and be happy to be a 2nd tier team in world stage.
Old January 30, 2013, 10:32 PM
Richard McInnes
Former BD U19 Coach

Quote:

Also, why not build up on variations, or new deliveries in spin department? Why not subscribe to someone like Warne's calibre to help learn flipper et al. If SLAs are our forte, I don't see why should we NOT be bashful about it and hone our skills further.

This is not to say fast bowling quartet won't do wonders for our team. But why force the issue? Take the path of least resistance...
Zeeshan, good feedback and i am certainly not beyond criticism so no offense taken. Your point is a good one, however my analogy is not aimed at driving a Ferrari around Dhaka, if we only wanted to drive around Dhaka, a TATA would be perfect and no need to make any changes, likewise with our cricket system. Unfortunately we want to be able drive and win races all over the world and the TATA just wont do it, if everyone else is driving far better vehicles. At times you will need different types of skills (pace, spin etc to win the race), different types of vehicles if you like, but they will still need to be good quality and able to withstand the rigors of elite competition.

The significant factor in Pakistan is there is much more meat in their diet and they drink a lot of milk from a young age, both high sources of protein and may explain why the Pakistan population tend to be bigger and stronger than other sub continent population. That information has come from Pakistan players when asked that same question. I am not 100% sure re India, but they do have a more mature first class cricket system, which is very professional in terms of preparation, staffing and analysis work. If we could model our system on theirs, it would be good starting point.

Our relatively young cricket age, means we have to catch up, and to catch up we need to improve faster than all other nations. If all the other teams were marking time and happy with what they are doing, we could and would have made more ground. Unfortunately, all other teams are constantly trying to improve, refining their systems, challenging their staff etc to get better. We need to do that better and faster if we are going to catch up and overtake some of them.

Your point re spin, was also accurate, and of course we are working on making our spinner world class. We had Saqalin here last year and will hopefully have him back again, as he was excellent, one of the best spin coaches i have worked with. he was committed and passionate about coaching and about spin bowling and offered wonderful expertise from a great players perspective.
Old January 30, 2013, 10:42 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Zeeshan.....[snip]..from a great players perspective.
Invaluable insight into Pakistani and Indian players diet. Thank you Coach. Btw, I do not necessarily disagree with all you said.

Once I was seeing the interview, I forget who, Jayardena and Sanga, I think, regardless it was two Sri Lankan players and both echoed that they enjoy rice and curry. Yummy!

So I extrapolated naively that if they can pull out milestones without much change to their diet, if the food factor is really that important.

But you are right. Much fuss about it. You were 100% right on incompetency of BCB though.

See you around the forum.

Old January 30, 2013, 11:11 PM
Richard McInnes
Former BD U19 Coach

Default Lara Interview

Quite timely, but some similar sentiments from Brian Lara in his interview.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=267199
Old January 30, 2013, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Invaluable insight into Pakistani and Indian players diet. Thank you Coach. Btw, I do not necessarily disagree with all you said.

Once I was seeing the interview, I forget who, Jayardena and Sanga, I think, regardless it was two Sri Lankan players and both echoed that they enjoy rice and curry. Yummy!

So I extrapolated naively that if they can pull out milestones without much change to their diet, if the food factor is really that important.

But you are right. Much fuss about it. You were 100% right on incompetency of BCB though.

See you around the forum.
Zee. You can have your rice and eat it too. It's not just about rice but it's about a balanced diet. A diet conducive towards creating great athletes and not lard butts like most of us. It's about balance. It's about proportion.
Old January 30, 2013, 11:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

yet another food thread in banglacricket. Blame the rice....

observer bhai, what's your favorite Bangladeshi dish? Man all these foreign coaches in this site talks only of cricket... I wanna know other aspect too...

I want every coach to tell me what their favorite Bangadeshi dish is.... Ian bhai also has to have some favorite... he looks like he enjoys food.
Old January 30, 2013, 11:49 PM
Richard McInnes
Former BD U19 Coach

I am a fan of the breakfast, roti, eggs and the potato and vegetable dish is quite nice.

Aside from that most of the other meals contain way too much oil for me. I do like the spicy foods and enjoy a good Thai curry, or Indian curry along with the chicken kebabs (Tandoori, Reshmi or the yoghurt based kebab)
Old January 30, 2013, 11:52 PM

Ha ha roti, egg and potato vagi is my fav breakfast too!
Old January 31, 2013, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Quite timely, but some similar sentiments from Brian Lara in his interview.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=267199
Interesting, Raojan is where my mom is originally from. They eat lots of fatty beef curry, aka mejban.