facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 23, 2007, 01:36 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal
Default Normality From The Selectors

Normality From The Selectors

Daily star

It seems that the ability to innovate is beyond our national selectors as sticking to the tried and trusted remains their natural character.

It had been mentioned that the performance in the ongoing National Cricket League would be one of the major criteria in the selection of the team for the New Zealand tour but there was hardly anything encouraging from the Rafiqul Alam-led selection panel after completion of the fifth round.

Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) is planning to announce a 15-member one-day team first to pave way for the Test probables to play more four-day matches in the first-class tournament.

"We have a plan to announce the one-day team first to keep the selection open for the players who will join the team later in the two-match Test series. We will discuss the matter with our new coach (Jamie Siddons) who will arrive on Sunday," said Gazi Ashraf Hossain Lipu, chairman of BCB's cricket operations committee. He added that the board will decide on captain and vice-captain for the tour in the board meeting on Monday.

It is all but confirmed that the tenure of Mohammad Ashraful, who himself has failed to impress in the NCL, and Mashrafe Bin Mortaza will be extended as captain and vice-captain.

Most of the Tigers failed to show their true colours as well as has the lack of freshmen who can claim places with exceptional performances.

The fact has left the selectors to do a customary job.

It was learnt that the discussion will centre on Mohammad Rafique as the national selectors sit today to decide the one-day team.

The long-serving cricketer, who is just six wickets shy of hundred Test wickets, is doubtful for the tour not only because of the emergence of young left-arm spinner Mosharraf Hossain but also due to his sub-par performances and unprofessional attitude towards the domestic competition.

Rafique has taken only nine wickets in three four-day matches but the important thing was the way he kept away from playing two rounds in the competition.

The selectors are planning to shape the attack with three seamers, two spinners and a seaming all-rounder. Mashrafe and Syed Rasel are automatic choices to operate with the new ball while Abdur Razzak and Shakib Al Hasan are also proven spinners for the shorter-version game. Forhad Reza has a good chance to get the all-rounder's slot.

The third seamer's slot has yet to be finalised.

Left-handed opening batsman Shahriar Nafees, despite being awful in the tournament, has a chance to retain the place along with Tamim Iqbal and veteran Javed Omar.

On the other hand, veteran wicketkeeper Khaled Mashud's getting back among runs might not be enough for a one-day recall as the selectors still prefer the slippery gloves of Mushfiqur Rahim, who has put on disappointing shows behind and in front of the stumps.

There is also hardly any chance for former national skipper Habibul Bashar to regain his one-day spot. However, his experience will be counted for the Test series despite ordinary performance in the four-day meet.

Old November 23, 2007, 01:49 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Not picking Rafiq for the Test series will be a big blunder by the selectors.

They shouldn't start their career with such a howler, no need to make them look like nincompoop.
Old November 23, 2007, 01:53 PM
Banned

Well, its not as though this Star reporter knows everthing for sure.

I would have thought that taking 9 wics in 3 games was pretty good, especially considering that he was not too assertive.

But also, Rafique's form has dropped quite a bit in the internationals lately. Hopefully it was only due to his son's illness.
Old November 23, 2007, 02:05 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ash,Shakib,Dhiman

Selecting Javed instead of Zunaed in ODIs would also be a big blunder. I don't know what the selectors find in a player with a crappy tecnique who rarely makes a significant score.
Old November 23, 2007, 02:08 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrong `un
Selecting Javed instead of Zunaed in ODIs would also be a big blunder. I don't know what the selectors find in a player with a crappy tecnique who rarely makes a significant score.
wrong `un, by any chance, are you associated with ACC?

Sorry to digress.
Old November 23, 2007, 02:14 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
"We have a plan to announce the one-day team first to keep the selection open for the players who will join the team later in the two-match Test series. We will discuss the matter with our new coach (Jamie Siddons) who will arrive on Sunday," said Gazi Ashraf Hossain Lipu
I like the idea that BCB is keeping selection for the Test team open. Players such as Bashar. Mashud, Rafique, and SN should be left behind and told to prove their worth in next few rounds (incase of Mashud, reconfirm his worth).

There are other reports (Shamokal, Janakantha, Amardesh, New Age) that say Zunaed has a strong chance to get his ODI debut in New Zealand.
Old November 23, 2007, 02:18 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

This report cleverly said nothing the reader does not know.
Old November 23, 2007, 02:29 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakibul Hasan

Mosharraf Hossain Rubel performed quite well in the NCL but I am not sure if it is enough for him to get a test or ODI spot. He is a tall SLA bowler, which we have way too many at the moment.....I have never seen him play...can anybody shed some light on him?
Old November 23, 2007, 02:48 PM
Cricket Guru

From the New Age report - "Tigers’ bittersweet journey in NCL" , by Azad Majumder.

Quote:
‘We are not going to make drastic changes but obviously we will try to reward the players, who have performed in the National Cricket League,’ said Alam, adding that initially they will declare the one-day squad.

Though the chief selector did not name any players, it was understood that at least two players are about to get their first call up to the one-day squad. Unsurprisingly, one of them is Junaed Siddique, who made his international debut in the Twenty20 World Cup and since then has continued to impress.

Junaed scored 275 runs in five one-day matches averaging 55, which has prompted selectors to consider making him the opening partner of Tamim Iqbal in the one-day series. Khulna opener Imrul Kayes could also earn a place after scoring 295 runs in five matches.

All-rounder Mosharaf Hossain scored 231 runs averaging 57.75, which also gave the selectors food for thought. He will certainly get a nod, provided they ignore Mohammad Rafique in the one-day series.

Unlike the one-day series, there is hardly any chance for an outsider to enter in the Test squad, though wicketkeeper Khaled Mashud is all but sure to get a recall in the longer version.
Old November 23, 2007, 05:11 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

im not very pleased...

#OneTeam1Dream
Old November 23, 2007, 10:57 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafiz

Can't really make any comments... there are too many descrepencies in these reports themselves...
Old November 23, 2007, 11:49 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

i think rafiq should be still in the team, he is experienced, talented and hard worker. if javed, bashar is selected, he should be selected too. when shahriar nafess is under consideratio, there is no point to drop rafiq. he should play atleast test match, if selectors dont consider him good enough for ODI. he was our all time greatest BD player.

here is my all time greatest 10 BD player ( i know our time is only few years). we are still very young cricket nation.

1. Mohammad rafiq
2. Habibul bashar
3. mohammad Ashraful
4. Aminul islam Bulbul
5. Akram khan
6. Minhazul abedin
7. mashrafi Mortaza
8. Abdur razzaq
9.khaled masud
10.Shahriar nafes

so far i got this 10, i am sure in future some players will surpass this seniors with their ability, average,, charisma , like Sakib, aftab, shahadat, enamul etc.
Old November 24, 2007, 01:50 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

i want to see Khaled Mashud in ODI... let me demonstrate:

season 2006-2007

{ - DNB 0 0 1 + L ICC CT 1 v SL in Ind 2006/07 at Mohali (d/n) [2423]
8 - - - 2 +
22* - - - 1 + L ICC CT 4 v WI in Ind 2006/07 at Jaipur (d/n) [2426]
- DNB 0 0 2 +
DNB - - - 1 + W ICC CT 5 v Zim in Ind 2006/07 at Jaipur (d/n) [2427]
- DNB 0 1 2 +
- DNB 1 1 1 + W 1st ODI v Zim in BD 2006/07 at Khulna [2453]
DNB - - - 2 +
- DNB 2 1 1 + W 2nd ODI v Zim in BD 2006/07 at Bogra (d/n) [2457]
DNB - - - 2 +
11 - - - 1 + W 3rd ODI v Zim in BD 2006/07 at Bogra (d/n) [2459]
- DNB 1 0 2 +}

he rarely got a chance to bat...

season 2006
{ Mat Runs HS BatAv 100 50 W BB BowlAv 5w Ct St

unfiltered 126 1818 71* 21.90 0 7 - - - - 91 35
filtered 8 106 48* 35.33 0 0 - - - - 14 5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Runs W/R Ct St I *+ R Match

14* - - - 1 + L 1st ODI v Zim in Zim 2006 at Harare [2392]
- DNB 1 0 2 +
48* - - - 1 + W 2nd ODI v Zim in Zim 2006 at Harare [2393]
- DNB 3 1 2 +
11 - - - 1 *+ L 3rd ODI v Zim in Zim 2006 at Harare [2394]
- DNB 2 1 2 *+
20 - - - 1 *+ L 4th ODI v Zim in Zim 2006 at Harare [2395]
- DNB 1 0 2 *+
- DNB 2 0 1 *+ W 5th ODI v Zim in Zim 2006 at Harare [2398]
DNB - - - 2 *+
- DNB 3 2 1 *+ W 1st ODI v Ken in Ken 2006 at Nairobi (Gym) [2402]
DNB - - - 2 *+
- DNB 1 1 1 *+ W 2nd ODI v Ken in Ken 2006 at Nairobi (Gym) [2403]
13 - - - 2 *+
- DNB 1 0 1 *+ W 3rd ODI v Ken in Ken 2006 at Nairobi (Gym) [2404]
DNB}

not too shabby from someone who comes sown to bat at #7/8. Mushfique is only 18, it doesn't matter if he is not selected, but Mashud is close to retirement. let him be selected now... he is prime form, and let it not go to waste, we can have a glorious New Zealand tour or nothing...
Old November 24, 2007, 01:53 AM
Cricket Sage

Stats for Rahim (recent)

Filter: in season 2007.
Sort order: chronological.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mat Runs HS BatAv 100 50 W BB BowlAv 5w Ct St

unfiltered 25 346 57 24.71 0 2 - - - - 18 6
filtered 5 64 35 16.00 0 0 - - - - 7 1

Runs W/R Ct St I *+ R Match

1* - - - 1 + L 1st ODI v Ind in BD 2007 at Dhaka (SBNS) [2582]
- DNB 0 0 2 +
- DNB 1 1 1 + L 2nd ODI v Ind in BD 2007 at Dhaka (SBNS) [2583]
35 - - - 2 +
- DNB 2 0 1 + L 1st ODI v SL in SL 2007 at Colombo (PSS) [2605]
28 - - - 2 +
0 - - - 1 + L 2nd ODI v SL in SL 2007 at Colombo (RPS) [2606]
- DNB 2 0 2 +
- DNB 2 0 1 + L 3rd ODI v SL in SL 2007 at Colombo (RPS) [2607]
0 - - - 2 +

all stats from www.cricinfo.com you decide: an off form Rahim or an on form Pilot??
Old November 24, 2007, 04:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

it seems different newspapers are speculating with the team selection... let's wait for the official declaration. I think Junaed deserves to be in the ODI team.
Old November 24, 2007, 08:10 AM
Cricket Legend

I would include Rafique in the one dayers as I still believe our use of 3 SLA's work. There is no point in using the "Universal" 3 seam attack as our "quality" is not the same as others. Other teams are not as experienced chasing against so many SLa's as was amply proved by the South Africans. A strong one day side had no clue what was going on against us as the ball was not coming on to the bat.

Test matches in New Zealand would be different as conditions are different. Here again I must emphasise that however suitable conditions are, no bowler should be chosen unless he is good enough. Bowlers should not be selected just because of a "formula".

The selection in England of Anwar Hossain Monir and Shahadat in front of Enam was the most shocking example of Dav's lack of reading of the game. This was when Enam had just taken 17 wickets in two tests. What a de-motivation ! Only in Bangladesh does Dav seems to have some following. Sri Lanka let him go after winning a World Cup. It shows what they thought of him. I am not surprised he is unemployed now.

In the 60s and 70s , India played with 4 spinners in England ! Because they had no medium pacers worth mentioning. So, they picked their best bowlers. And, indeed, in 1971 were rewarded with a series win !

No Rasel, no test !!
Old November 24, 2007, 08:12 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseshah
i think rafiq should be still in the team, he is experienced, talented and hard worker. if javed, bashar is selected, he should be selected too. when shahriar nafess is under consideratio, there is no point to drop rafiq. he should play atleast test match, if selectors dont consider him good enough for ODI. he was our all time greatest BD player.

here is my all time greatest 10 BD player ( i know our time is only few years). we are still very young cricket nation.

1. Mohammad rafiq
2. Habibul bashar
3. mohammad Ashraful
4. Aminul islam Bulbul
5. Akram khan
6. Minhazul abedin
7. mashrafi Mortaza
8. Abdur razzaq
9.khaled masud
10.Shahriar nafes

so far i got this 10, i am sure in future some players will surpass this seniors with their ability, average,, charisma , like Sakib, aftab, shahadat, enamul etc.
What has Abedin exactly done after we got test status ? Or, even before ? Some reputations get carried away. Or, even Akram Khan for that matter. How long shall we fry the KL fish ?
Old November 24, 2007, 03:31 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imtiazk

No Rasel, no test !!
best comment i have heard all week brother!
Old November 25, 2007, 02:07 AM
ODI Cricketer

come on people. selectors has not yet select the team and we start analyzing their selection by speculation of some reporter. A classic case of "Chil e Kan neya"
Old November 25, 2007, 08:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Mosharrof Hossain so far has taken 19 wickets & scored only 80 runs. But how come selectors express their view regarding Mosharrof's allround performance. I don't believe it. Pathetic, disgusting.......
Old November 25, 2007, 10:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Nasir/Taskin/Anamul/Sohag

Methinks, selectors are considering Mosharraf for ODIs - in place of Md. Rafique. In the test matches, Md. Rafique might be the automatic choice.
Old November 25, 2007, 10:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Nasir/Taskin/Anamul/Sohag

The term NORMALITY is a bit confusing. Should they go for the team as predicted then that could only happen because they are short of confidence. Otherwise the name of Shahriar Nafees, who is having a horrible time, should never have uttered for Kiwi tour.
Old November 28, 2007, 10:51 AM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: chacha

do you think BCB officals have any say over the selecting commitee ..? i donno why BCB wants to take stict action against Rafique..but i guess its time for the players to be more professional and take things more seriously..