facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 18, 2012, 11:36 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhakablues
it is the ABSOLUTELY MOST ridiculous city in the world with traffic jams, electricity+water+gas+chaos crisis that you would not see in India or Sri Lanka or Pakistan or Nepal or even Bhutan for that matter.
I think the threat of terrorism in countries like Pakistan and the possibility of being attacked by the LTTE while traveling to different cities in SL trumps the inconvenience of traffic jams. Tbh, from personal experience, the traffic in Mumbai and Kolkata during rush hour is not all that different from the traffic in Dhaka and the infrastructural problems of Pakistan (i.e. electricity, gas, water, etc.) is far worse than the ones we face. Additionally, in their upscale flat in Gulshan, I imagine they have generators and what not to alleviate the aforementioned inconveniences.

A diplomat or businessman would rarely be allowed to return to their home country just because their family found it tough to live in Bangladesh. I don't see why a well paid international coach should be. (I'm not only talking about Law's own contract, which apparently expires in the summer but any coach we hire)

Old April 18, 2012, 11:54 AM
Cricket Legend

It pains me to say so, but if I were a Westerner, I would live in Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chandigarh, Chennai or Colombo, no questions asked. Dhaka is a different ball of wax altogether. In India and Sri Lanka there's a life outside of the home. In Dhaka, not so much. Westerners want more out of life than going to dinner parties at the homes of rich socialites in Gulshan, Banani and Baridhara. They don't particularly like a thousand limbless street urchins banging on their car window asking for 10 taka, all while brandishing their physical deformities. And yes, there are traffic jams in the rest of the Subcontinent, but Dhaka takes the cake!
Old April 18, 2012, 12:01 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Is Dhaka that bad nowadays? Last time I visited, it wasn't as bad as people are describing now. Well, I mean there was the usual traffic jams and other probs. Kintu ekhon shobar kotha shune mone hoitase aro onek onek kharap hoye gese.

The article seems very harsh. And here I am thinking about moving to Dhaka somewhere in future.
Old April 18, 2012, 01:29 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubho
It pains me to say so, but if I were a Westerner, I would live in Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chandigarh, Chennai or Colombo, no questions asked. Dhaka is a different ball of wax altogether. In India and Sri Lanka there's a life outside of the home. In Dhaka, not so much. Westerners want more out of life than going to dinner parties at the homes of rich socialites in Gulshan, Banani and Baridhara. They don't particularly like a thousand limbless street urchins banging on their car window asking for 10 taka, all while brandishing their physical deformities. And yes, there are traffic jams in the rest of the Subcontinent, but Dhaka takes the cake!
have they fixed a rate already ...?? @ 10 Taka ??

Well, i think you are being unfair...except Mumbai and Delhi.... I don't think that any of the other cities that you mentioned can ,atch Dhaka in it's life style. Well... Apart from girls/discos/sex... Dhaka is one of the best in south Asia. Traffic Jams..? Its there more or less every where ...in Every big cities of south Asia in peak time.

There are many things in Dhaka that you may not know, as that's in the Dark. Only comes out on 'need to know' basis ..
Old April 18, 2012, 01:35 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
Is Dhaka that bad nowadays? Last time I visited, it wasn't as bad as people are describing now. Well, I mean there was the usual traffic jams and other probs. Kintu ekhon shobar kotha shune mone hoitase aro onek onek kharap hoye gese.

The article seems very harsh. And here I am thinking about moving to Dhaka somewhere in future.
*14-16 ghonta current thake 8-10 ghonta thakena
*10Km jabar jonne basa theke at least der ghonta age ber hote hoy
*Manuser chape pisto sohor e kothao santite dom felar jayga nai
*Ase paser sob gula nodi bisakto hoye gese
*joto na kajer manus tar theke vhikhuk besi r most of the time tara vikha chay na demand kore
Old April 18, 2012, 01:38 PM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:

I can add that living in Dhaka is an enriching experience. I never found it distressing or awful. It depends what end you come from this at. It is not easy to understand all the staring or get the mad traffic, but the people are warm and friendly.

People have great humour and it pays to smile a great deal and laugh. Dhaka is an assault on the senses; sights, sounds, smells and it is not what you would understand if you come from Europe.

I never felt at risk, unlike in some parts of the world and even the UK.

I feel Dhaka is what you make it. It's all about perspective...
Old April 18, 2012, 01:41 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
I can add that living in Dhaka is an enriching experience. I never found it distressing or awful. It depends what end you come from this at. It is not easy to understand all the staring or get the mad traffic, but the people are warm and friendly.

People have great humour and it pays to smile a great deal and laugh. Dhaka is an assault on the senses; sights, sounds, smells and it is not what you would understand if you come from Europe.

I never felt at risk, unlike in some parts of the world and even the UK.

I feel Dhaka is what you make it. It's all about perspective...
Can I change my vote from 50:50 to "Yes". I want Mr Ian Pont as our Head Coach.
Old April 18, 2012, 01:55 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Thanks Ian for your perspective. Its good to know from a Westerner's point of view. Dhakaiyas such as me and others would have been biased.

@Nekre, all that you mentioned is nothing new except maybe the electricity. I remember 2-3 hours daily but I admit that 9-10 hours is too much. I never lived in posh areas such as Gulshan, Banani. Ami Mirpuer er chipa te boro hoisi. Bashar shamne chilo pocha doba, rater bela moshar utpat, bristi hoile sewerage break hoiya baje jinish ber hoye ashto. Roof had no grill and we won't go too near the edge. But for some reason, I still miss it. Maybe its the nostalgia.
Old April 18, 2012, 02:01 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Ashole Dhaka te beggers ekta severe problem. Ami Garir janala khola rakhte partam na ei begger/hawker der utpate jokhon last Dhakay gesilam..I also heard the beggers carry bag full of you know what with them and the beggers intimidate people to give money. Abar keu keu Chaabi diye gari te scratch mare vikkha na paile. So pathetic..

And the traffic is horrendous. It used to take me 2-3 hours to go to Dhanmondi from Basundhara. You can survive without electricity for few hours as most houses in Dhaka have generator nowadays..But like Banfan vai said you need to know "someone" to have good time in Dhaka.
Old April 18, 2012, 02:04 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
Can I change my vote from 50:50 to "Yes". I want Mr Ian Pont as our Head Coach.
Me too
Old April 18, 2012, 02:36 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Thanks Ian for your perspective. Its good to know from a Westerner's point of view. Dhakaiyas such as me and others would have been biased.

@Nekre, all that you mentioned is nothing new except maybe the electricity. I remember 2-3 hours daily but I admit that 9-10 hours is too much. I never lived in posh areas such as Gulshan, Banani. Ami Mirpuer er chipa te boro hoisi. Bashar shamne chilo pocha doba, rater bela moshar utpat, bristi hoile sewerage break hoiya baje jinish ber hoye ashto. Roof had no grill and we won't go too near the edge. But for some reason, I still miss it. Maybe its the nostalgia.
apni ja somosha dakhe giyechilen ta akhon 4 gun bere geche electricity problem er more

amar dik theke ami bolchi a sohortar traffic,current problem r matra otirikto manus er chape amar dom bondo hoye jache..proyojoner tulonay 4 gun besi manus bas kore ai sohore, er sathe to Bhasoman manus ache aro koto ke jane, ami jokhon college e portam tokhono ai obosta chilona..tokhono mirpur ta ontoto onek chim cham chilo...akhon mirpur o manuser chape pistho, ami dhakar baire akta valo job pele seta jekhanei hok dinajpur,rongpur,feni,x,y,z bindumatro chinta na kore dour dibo..i am totally fed up with dhaka...i have been to every other district city and every one of them are 1000 times better then dhaka
Old April 18, 2012, 02:44 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
apni ja somosha dakhe giyechilen ta akhon 4 gun bere geche electricity problem er more

amar dik theke ami bolchi a sohortar traffic,current problem r matra otirikto manus er chape amar dom bondo hoye jache..proyojoner tulonay 4 gun besi manus bas kore ai sohore, er sathe to Bhasoman manus ache aro koto ke jane, ami jokhon college e portam tokhono ai obosta chilona..tokhono mirpur ta ontoto onek chim cham chilo...akhon mirpur o manuser chape pistho, ami dhakar baire akta valo job pele seta jekhanei hok dinajpur,rongpur,feni,x,y,z bindumatro chinta na kore dour dibo..i am totally fed up with dhaka...i have been to every other district city and every one of them are 1000 times better then dhaka
Its not only you but all my friends and cousins back in Dhaka says the same thing. Its really unfortunate to see the gradual decline of an once great city. I visited other mofosshol cities of BD and they are indeed much much better than Dhaka. But on the other hand, a lot of my other relatives will grind in Dhaka and continue to struggle because of the so called better schooling for their children and hospitals for them. People do wanna move out but for some reasons are held back too.

If I were you, I would also get fed up and would want to move out. Maybe the salary and benefits would be less but it will surely make up for healthier and less stressful daily life. Anyway, all the best to your job search outside of the city
Old April 18, 2012, 02:48 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Its not only you but all my friends and cousins back in Dhaka says the same thing. Its really unfortunate to see the gradual decline of an once great city. I visited other mofosshol cities of BD and they are indeed much much better than Dhaka. But on the other hand, a lot of my other relatives will grind in Dhaka and continue to struggle because of the so called better schooling for their children and hospitals for them. People do wanna move out but for some reasons are held back too.

If I were you, I would also get fed up and would want to move out. Maybe the salary and benefits would be less but it will surely make up for healthier and less stressful daily life. Anyway, all the best to your job search outside of the city
thats the reason people wont move from dhaka and more and more are coming into dhaka from different parts of the country..how much more load can one city take?..Ami manus ke dos dei na, everybody wants the best for his kids and family and dhaka provides the best Schools,Colleges and Unis..
Old April 18, 2012, 02:57 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
thats the reason people wont move from dhaka and more and more are coming into dhaka from different parts of the country..how much more load can one city take?..Ami manus ke dos dei na, everybody wants the best for his kids and family and dhaka provides the best Schools,Colleges and Unis..
I blame the govt and lack of visionary politicians. Whenever a city becomes too big govt needs to decentralize it.
Old April 18, 2012, 03:10 PM
First Class Cricketer

that's why i hate Banglacricket sometimes too much. Too many so called probashi. Who loves to criticise like hell all the way. I really don't get it. Where you'll get so much happy faces in other part of the world. So many flyovers and roads are blocked nowadays cause of under construction. May be these couple of things are creating a little bit problems. But those who can't see the future is the blind. Brisbane is a better place no doubt but why Stuart law called us poor country? I really don't get it. I am happy that he did leave. Guy who has no respect for the country shouldn't be our head coach. And those so called probashi just remember it's the country you belong. Don't just criticise when you can brand your country.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old April 18, 2012, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun petr
that's why i hate Banglacricket sometimes too much. Too many so called probashi. Who loves to criticise like hell all the way. I really don't get it. Where you'll get so much happy faces in other part of the world. So many flyovers and roads are blocked nowadays cause of under construction. May be these couple of things are creating a little bit problems. But those who can't see the future is the blind. Brisbane is a better place no doubt but why Stuart law called us poor country? I really don't get it. I am happy that he did leave. Guy who has no respect for the country shouldn't be our head coach. And those so called probashi just remember it's the country you belong. Don't just criticise when you can brand your country.

Did he say so? Did I miss an article?
Old April 18, 2012, 06:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

Dude get a grip on yourself. He didn't mean it that way. He said "I have always heard that Bangladesh is a poor country. But, everyday, I saw people who are always smiling brightly and happy to go to work everyday." Now how is that disrespectful? I don't see it. I read that article too you know? Try to understand the REAL meaning of a sentence before flipping out about people.
Old April 18, 2012, 07:17 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman
Ashole Dhaka te beggers ekta severe problem. Ami Garir janala khola rakhte partam na ei begger/hawker der utpate jokhon last Dhakay gesilam..I also heard the beggers carry bag full of you know what with them and the beggers intimidate people to give money. Abar keu keu Chaabi diye gari te scratch mare vikkha na paile. So pathetic..

And the traffic is horrendous. It used to take me 2-3 hours to go to Dhanmondi from Basundhara. You can survive without electricity for few hours as most houses in Dhaka have generator nowadays..But like Banfan vai said you need to know "someone" to have good time in Dhaka.
You are to Mother Teresa what Lucifer is to God aren't ya? Good, good. Always good to have an opposing side.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old April 18, 2012, 07:21 PM
Cricket Savant

On topic: "Akhon amader ki hobe? " -bujhee kom

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old April 18, 2012, 08:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:

Beggars on the street. Obviously Bangladesh is a poor country. I dont know why you are all hyped up about.

Anyways if you are a foreigner and come to Bangladesh it is harder to adjust if you bring your whole family. Obviously Mrs Law wouldnt be fond of Bangladesh. She wouldnt be able to do a great amount of things.

Bangladesh is a crazy place. The poor people, the electricity cuts, the rubbish, the pollution etc. But at the same time it is abundant on culture, something most western countries lack.

I think if the government spent money in the right ways then Bangladesh would be able to solve many problems and it would also be able to be a rich country also. Bangladesh does have money. Lots of businesses are set up there. Its a small country with a huge population.

We can fix all these problems if we wanted to. The government just decides not to.
Old April 19, 2012, 07:43 AM
Street Cricketer

Dhaka is going through a transitional phase right now. Other divisional cities like Sylhet,Rajshahi,Khulna are getting developed. Some satellite cities are also being constructed in Gazipur,Purbachal etc. Government doesn't give permission to build factories in dhaka and the land price is making industrialists build factories elsewhere. I think within the next 5-6 years it will be a lot better
Old April 19, 2012, 07:46 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: An honest player; a trier
Default My rant

Quote:
that's why i hate Banglacricket sometimes too much. Too many so called probashi. ... why Stuart law called us poor country? ....
If you don't like Banglacricket and its thousands of Probashis, don't come here. We are an integral part of the forum. We often manage to give a more balanced perspective having had the understanding of two or more different cultures.

Stuart Law did not call us poor. He said others did, but he liked it.... I think if you consider how some struggle to adjust to Dhaka's conditions, maybe that's another good reason to choose Ian. He is adventurous and loves the good side of it.

As a side note, a newspaper from Calcutta cannot call Dhaka filthy. From what I heard from travellers there, Calcutta is pretty dirty itself. Full of slums. It is really a cultural shock for many foreigners.

Dhaka, and Bangladesh, have many problems. First thing is the traffic jam. When I had gone two years back, it is crazy sitting there in a traffic jam and watch your vehicle weave in and out. The drains from back when I was living in 2004 would always overflow during the rains, being open drains. This would mix with garbage from the road and make a filthy sewage cocktail. If one ever tried walking through that water, it itches. Imagine trying to go to the mosque. While we are on topic, noone can ever bother putting garbage in the garbage dump. Its always outside. Also have to laugh at how traffic lights are never followed, and how traffic controllers would try and beat the heck out of rickshawalas. No, I do not enjoy seeing the poor get beat up. I also hated how everyone is the subject of vicious gossip by every other Bangladeshi at every opportunity. Oh, and my neighbour once saw with his own eyes tonnes of blood being washed away from the street after someone got killed. Noone cared. Hundreds of flats in plain view...

But there are other sides to Dhaka. If one looks, one always finds the positives. I miss the interaction of the less complicated beings of Dhaka. I loved hearing the story of the rickshawala who was pulling a rickshaw for his younger brother, a brilliant sutdents doing his HSC. I love how an old cricket bat and a tennis ball can make so many millions of kids so happy every afternoon. I love the sense of pride Bangalishave towards their culture, the Rabidrasangeet, the Lalangithi, the awareness of the rest of the world. I love the fight in so many Bangladeshis. Things are tough there. But people always put an effort to make their friends and family smile.

I have never heard of sports unite people as much as cricket does to Bangladeshis. I know that everytime our cricket achieves something big, everyone feels happier for a day, or a week. Here in Aus, I don't see that. Winning World Cups doesn't make the nation happy for the next week, like it does every time we win one match. Here we write on papers to complain when someone sneezes on a bus, when someone's Ipod is too loud... People complain when the electricity prices go up 20% after 10 years, which means they cannot afford an extra overseas holiday every year....

Not to mention, Bangladesh has an amazing variety of delicious foods. If someone loves food, they should spend a month during Ramadan in Bangladesh and try the street food before they die.

Bangladesh, I guess, is not too bad when you consider its people and its culture

Not my cup of tea though just yet.. I can change more in the world from where I am right now

Last edited by nahaz; April 19, 2012 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: Food
Old April 19, 2012, 08:22 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

I wanted to add one other thing.

Jamie Siddons stayed 4 years and wanted to continue. He and his wife had made a home in Dhaka and their two kids, Stella and Toby were happy growing up there. Like I said, it is really what you can make of it. There are plenty of ex-pat westerners doing the same in Dhaka so having groups of new friends is not difficult.

Grant Luden, trainer, has just signed again for another year, so he will almost be at 4 years himself. If Dhaka was so dreadful I am certain he wouldn't stay.

As someone earlier said we have plenty of problems here in England: the weather, unions, strikes, fuel prices, a recession, house prices, food and living costs and a country that is pretty un-neighbourly. I am sure Bangladeshis find it equally as hard to come here and try to feel at home initially.

The common bond between us all though, is the wonderful game of cricket. We all share a passion for it and we all want to see it thrive. It is that game that brings us all side by side.
Old April 19, 2012, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahaz
As a side note, a newspaper from Calcutta cannot call Dhaka filthy. From what I heard from travellers there, Calcutta is pretty dirty itself. Full of slums. It is really a cultural shock for many foreigners.
From experience: For every foot of dirt that I have washed off my body on a typical day out in Dhaka, I've had to wash off five feet and some more in Kolkata. The latter is probably easily one of the dirtiest cities in the world and certainly the dirtiest that I've ever been in.
Old April 19, 2012, 09:42 AM
Test Cricketer

deshprem bhalo, kintu hamborami bhalo noi.
It's good to criticize our poverty, otherwise we clowns like to live in our complacent dream.
Quote:
Brisbane is a better place no doubt but why Stuart law called us poor country? I really don't get it. I am happy that he did leave. Guy who has no respect for the country shouldn't be our head coach. And those so called probashi just remember it's the country you belong. Don't just criticise when you can brand your country.