facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 20, 2017, 05:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio
Default Proper name altering for our Players for broader consumption

Bangladesh names are just way too generic. I think prior to any TV debut they should polish up the names as not to confuse viewers and also not to create discomfort.

Way too many hasan and hossains....

this guy mahadi hasan.. i am getting confused with national team mehedy hasan.

Most of these players have nick name, middle name - I think before debut a polished name should be given not to confuse.. and not to interfere with other names in international cricket

also saddam hossain.. just ridiculous.. either the first name or last name.. preferabbly last should be altered...

and when u change i dont mean to give random names..u can go to your father, grandfather.. generatiobnt o come up with a polished name.

what yoou thikn? o

Old November 20, 2017, 05:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
Bangladesh names are just way too generic. I think prior to any TV debut they should polish up the names as not to confuse viewers and also not to create discomfort.

Way too many hasan and hossains....

this guy mahadi hasan.. i am getting confused with national team mehedy hasan.

Most of these players have nick name, middle name - I think before debut a polished name should be given not to confuse.. and not to interfere with other names in international cricket

also saddam hossain.. just ridiculous.. either the first name or last name.. preferabbly last should be altered...

and when u change i dont mean to give random names..u can go to your father, grandfather.. generatiobnt o come up with a polished name.

what yoou thikn? o
As long as we don't get a player by the name of Vishal Diksh1t I am happy.
Old November 20, 2017, 05:50 AM
Cricket Legend

BTW This is why all our names are so generic.

Quote:
The recent 2011 population census shows that 87% of all Bangladeshis share only nine surnames - Ali, Ahmed, Khan, Hassan, Hossain, Rahman, Islam, Uddin or Zaman. For the sake of telling them apart, you'd hope that they'd have different given names, right? Most Bangladeshis, sadly, are so lazy, they didn't bother innovating nicknames either - you can walk into any square and yell out Babu, Meem, Bijoy, Manik or Abdul and surely have a response. It is also a common trend to have random letters as first names - Md, Sk, ASM, AFMB, SM, and so on.

People with low social status will often have the word 'bin' as their middle name.
Some people saw this naming system as a problem. Their solution was to open an American TV guide and assign random words from it as names for their children. Names like Lincoln, Dollar, Caesar, Danny, James, Rebecca, Romeo and Juliet just prove my point. Communists saw this as a worrying proliferation of capitalism, and as a comeback, started naming their kids Stalin, Lenin or Putin.

Another example of Bangladeshi laziness is how they name their daughters. The rule is simple:
Take a boy's name.
Slap an "a" at the end.

So Hamid Sultan becomes Hamida Sultana, Khaled becomes Khaleda, Farhan become Farhana, Nasim becomes Nasima... you get the point. The other form of laziness is shortening the names; so Faisal becomes Fasu, Kalpan becomes Kopu, Ferdous fecome Ferdy, Sarfaraz becomes Sarfi, Shantanu become Shantu. Other names like Ahsan, Sajjad, Asif, Yaman, Shamim takes too long to categorize and left alone due to laziness.
Quoted from Uncyclopedia.
Old November 20, 2017, 05:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinRaat.
As long as we don't get a player by the name of Vishal Diksh1t I am happy.
How about Napoleon Einstein? Washington Sundar?

Two of the name of Indian cricketers.
Old November 20, 2017, 05:56 AM
Cricket Legend

people change their name all the time. President trump apparently his forfathers changed name when came to america.

Obama changed his name to go back his origianl one.. Name alterering is very important and signifant for you image and career and it is a very common practice..

I think administration should look into it before presenting some of these ppl for interanal consumption...

again when i say to change name, i don't mean to change it completely to lose identity ... but come up with a combination of name that is more relevant to family geneology, keeps your identity and at the same time do not create confusion, mockery , offense.

Unique names are ok...

for example - dollar mahmud.. eventhough it maybe funny.. i am ok with these.. if he is actually known as dollar... and if u wanna change..you can put dollar as last name and use his nick as first.. or go to father/grandfather route for better combination.
Old November 20, 2017, 05:59 AM
Cricket Guru

Saddam Hossain's full name is Mohammad Noor Alam Saddam Hossain. All he needs to do is to ditch last two names.
Old November 20, 2017, 06:00 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

I like the idea of using Bangla nicknames - some of which are very distinctive - though it may be the case that all players find it to be to too personal for it to be on the back of their jerseys. It's usually the case that only family and (close) friends use nicknames. As in, it's OK for Mushfiq to call Shakib 'Moyna' because he's known him since they were school children but Shakib may not be comfortable being called that by random people. Others, like Anamul, do occasionally have their nickname on the back of their jersey.
Old November 20, 2017, 06:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
Saddam Hossain's full name is Mohammad Noor Alam Saddam Hossain. All he needs to do is to ditch last two names.
there you go. Noor. That's what he should be going for.

Saddam noor
Noor saddam
Mohammad Noor.
Mohammad Alam
Alam Noor

No confusion with other cricketers.. presentable.

just take one administrator to take control... such a simple thing to do.
Old November 20, 2017, 06:06 AM
Cricket Savant

For what it's worth in my confused days, I used to give Starbuck's my name: Sean as a shortened version of "Zeeshan".

Now I proudly use my real name. At the end of the day, these names are just given by others and our parents as part of the role we play, as part of the character, but onus really should be on others to learn the names and even address them by the ones they prefer no matter how generic it may be and even if it means the name being Hsi Hue Yuan Tchi or Przeznenztwoski.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old November 20, 2017, 06:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
I like the idea of using Bangla nicknames - some of which are very distinctive - though it may be the case that all players find it to be to too personal for it to be on the back of their jerseys. It's usually the case that only family and (close) friends use nicknames. As in, it's OK for Mushfiq to call Shakib 'Moyna' because he's known him since they were school children but Shakib may not be comfortable being called that by random people. Others, like Anamul, do occasionally have their nickname on the back of their jersey.
I agree.. Go with nick name. that's your identity. But as long as the player is comfortable. shakib is fine. there is only one...

somebody needs to take control over this.

this mehedi hasan is really confusing the hell out of me.. before they use to put a jr to distinguish. now they are at the same age.
Old November 20, 2017, 06:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
For what it's worth in my confused days, I used to give Starbuck's my name: Sean as a shortened version of "Zeeshan".

Now I proudly use my real name. At the end of the day, these names are just given by others and our parents as part of the role we play, as part of the character, but onus really should be on others to learn the names and even address them by the ones they prefer
I agree with you. Others should learn your proper name. But for someone to whom this is important (should be importnat to everyone) - a proper presentable name should also be their utmost concern.

I like Zeeshan better than sean.
Old November 20, 2017, 06:14 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
I agree with you. Others should learn your proper name. But for someone to whom this is important (should be importnat to everyone) - a proper presentable name should also be their utmost concern.

I like Zeeshan better than sean.
In my mind, I actually wondered how it'd play out if I said "Donald Trump" and they actually frikkin shouted out: "One Doppio Espresso for Donald Trump".

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old November 20, 2017, 10:02 AM
First Class Cricketer

The players' personalities should be enough to segregate themselves from each other.
Old November 20, 2017, 10:31 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

One way it can be done is using player's middle names as their last names for professional purposes. That is pretty much what Shahriar Nafees (Ahmed), Tamim Iqbal (Khan) and Shuvagata Hom (Chowdhury) do. But I don't support the use of nicknames as last names because it sounds ridiculous - Arafat Sunny, Mehedi Miraz etc.

I agree that it is getting ridiculous. Too many Enamul Haques, Mehedi Hasans and Nazmul Hossains. Poor Bijoy had to change his actual first name because of it. Bangladeshis are so lacking in creativity.
Old November 20, 2017, 11:06 AM
Cricket Legend

The answer is "communism", give our players numbers instead of names. That way some posters racial prejudice will be eliminated towards certain players