facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 22, 2006, 01:44 PM
Club Cricketer

Default Darrell Hair Saga: Bangladesh Pledges Support to Pakistan

BCB has pledged support to Pakistan. Here's the link to the BBC website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cric...nd/5275414.stm

Quote: "The Bangladesh Cricket Board, meanwhile, has pledged support to Pakistan while India officials say the ball-tampering issue "cannot be ignored". Indian board secretary Niranjan Shah told the BBC: "We will hold a meeting on it once we get adequate details from the International Cricket Council."

I am wondering whether BCB should have better off by following the 'wait and see' policy - we not only have to have a good relationship with Pakistan board but also with all other nations in terms of cricketing relationships. While I personally feel sympathetic to the Pakistani team in this case - but I thought the BCB should have been more cautious in making any statements right away before the matter is heard at the ICC hearings.

Notice how diplomatic the Indian Board have been? Did the BCB hold any meetings like the Indian cricket board? I am curious to know how the decision was made. Any body with information? Was the BCB president the sole decision maker? Were we forced to make a statment by any one? Sometimes we have to take sides - but could we not have waited till the storm was over? This may sound 'shuvidabadi' - but who doesn't love to get some 'shuvidas'??

Old August 22, 2006, 01:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Good point. Why take any sides? People love to give us hard time anyways. Its just better to be neutral since noone asked for our support. Gordov shala ra. Sob kichute kotha bolte hoy.
Old August 22, 2006, 01:51 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

It's better to back people in your neighborhood and make friends sans India, u see having good a relationship w/ PCB and SLC will establish more tours on all levels, Test, ODI, FC , List A, 20/20, 6 side, etc.

It doesent matter how nice you are to the BCCI, becuase unless your Australia you usally don't get much in return
Old August 22, 2006, 02:01 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

You may be right on getting the statement too early, however, on this ball tempering issue when there is no witness, no video evidence by now I am not sure he (hair) can backup his decision. Forfieting the match is a secondary issue (it is the after math of hair's action) and ball tempering is the main issue here.

I am sure SKYtv has already rerun thousand times to make sure if they can find any evidence. Especially Tresco and Fletcher must have requested a copy and trying to help Hair's case.

I like the fact BCB did not hesitate to issue the statement. I know what the outcome will be on the hearing already. Simple, Inzamam guilty for not bringing his troops after lunch thus gets ban. Pakistan appealing on this and the appeal date will be after the ODI is over. Now the ball tempering hearing I am not sure how can they charge Pakistan since there is no evidence. Thousands on the stand and millions on TV didn't see anything. I would love to see ICC banning Inzy for that. Then the real game would begin which would end up in court. and the ODI series would be cancelled then.

Umpire'er iccha holo ar bollo "tora chala cheat". change the ball. When Jones and co. started to do reverse swing as early as the 35th over in the ashes series. This ball was 54 overs old. Naturally it can reverse swing.
Old August 22, 2006, 02:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

I just think we shouldn't get involved in this mess so early when other test playing countries are taking wait and see approach. We can have our individual opinions but it is different when a board comes out with a statement. Anyways, I totally understand your point. I think Pakistan has done the right thing so far and umpire Hair has made a big mistake.
Old August 22, 2006, 02:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

I knew our board would do such a stupid thing of taking side.

We need to learn how to be silent and be diplomatic in what we say. ICC provides the bread and butter for upcoming cricketing nations like ours, we need to choose our words correctly before we make a friend into a foe. We also need to stop jumping on the band wagon whenever there is an issue between one of our neighbouring country and ICC. None of our neighbours would come in our rescue or even to support if we are to ever pick a fight against ICC.

People are way to emotional in Bangladesh and the Cricket Board is no exception.
Old August 22, 2006, 02:40 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaar

We need to learn how to be silent and be diplomatic in what we say. ICC provides the bread and butter for upcoming cricketing nations like ours, we need to choose our words correctly before we make a friend into a foe. We also need to stop jumping on the band wagon whenever there is an issue between one of our neighbouring country and ICC. None of our neighbours would come in our rescue or even to support if we are to ever pick a fight against ICC.

People are way to emotional in Bangladesh and the Cricket Board is no exception.
i agree...even tho one should speak up when its right.

hopefully, we can get a test series with pakistan now

#OneTeam1Dream
Old August 22, 2006, 02:42 PM
ODI Cricketer

Hair raised our hair several times.. So, I think Hair is a pathetic excuse for a Cricket Umpire.. and YES [Edited]

Last edited by reverse_swing; August 22, 2006 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: mod.content
Old August 22, 2006, 03:01 PM
ODI Cricketer

I dont see anything wrong taking Paki side because we are not making anyone foe here except Hair. No single board is taking side with Hair. Hair is our foe anyway. We might get some more matches with Pakistan.
I have an easy way out if Inzy is banned. Pak should immediately schedule the same number of matches with BD as it will be handed to Inzy.
May Allah make my wish real. Amin.
Old August 22, 2006, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

the ball tampering issue is the PCB's (and ICC's) problem. i don't think we should've meddled with something that doesn't concern us. unfortunately, amader bangladeshider onner bepare naak na golale bikal 4tar shomoy chorbijukto gorur goshto diye daale bhejano thala bhorti kore khawa bhaat hojom hoy na

our cricket is at a stage where kotha kom bole kaj beshi korata oti joruri. unfortunately, amader playerra to beshi kotha koy e...ekhon abar boardero baar barse. kaamer belay shob patla paykhana.

anyways, ei bochor ki 3ta test asha kora jaay tahole? :p
Old August 22, 2006, 03:26 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

I read somewhere that the reason we are supporting Pakistan is because they have supported us in the past. What a logic! It was better to wait and then make a statement based on the facts of the issue. By walking out Pakistan definitely made a mistake. There is a better way to protest-always.
Old August 22, 2006, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zia
I read somewhere that the reason we are supporting Pakistan is because they have supported us in the past. What a logic! It was better to wait and then make a statement based on the facts of the issue. By walking out Pakistan definitely made a mistake. There is a better way to protest-always.
It is a right and bold decision by BCCB. We should stand by our fiends in needs(in terms of cricketing relationship). Mr. Devil Hair could not show/present any evidence of ball tempering but accused Pakistan to do so. He is very well-known as a Asian hater from 1992 and continued his form with consistancy(unlike Ashraful and Aftab!). In moral ground, supporting PCB is the right thing which we did.
Old August 22, 2006, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
You may be right on getting the statement too early, however, on this ball tempering issue when there is no witness, no video evidence by now I am not sure he (hair) can backup his decision. Forfieting the match is a secondary issue (it is the after math of hair's action) and ball tempering is the main issue here.

I am sure SKYtv has already rerun thousand times to make sure if they can find any evidence. Especially Tresco and Fletcher must have requested a copy and trying to help Hair's case.

I like the fact BCB did not hesitate to issue the statement. I know what the outcome will be on the hearing already. Simple, Inzamam guilty for not bringing his troops after lunch thus gets ban. Pakistan appealing on this and the appeal date will be after the ODI is over. Now the ball tempering hearing I am not sure how can they charge Pakistan since there is no evidence. Thousands on the stand and millions on TV didn't see anything. I would love to see ICC banning Inzy for that. Then the real game would begin which would end up in court. and the ODI series would be cancelled then.

Umpire'er iccha holo ar bollo "tora chala cheat". change the ball. When Jones and co. started to do reverse swing as early as the 35th over in the ashes series. This ball was 54 overs old. Naturally it can reverse swing.

Unlike many of us you stand high in moral ground. A good soul.
Old August 22, 2006, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaar

And you might be too practical my friend! Our neighbours supported us when we needed it most to get the Test Status. It is our moral duty to support our neighbours if they are right. ICC is run by Devil Hair and Co. and we will never get anything from them whether it is due or not. ICC is there to serves a specific group of countries anyway.

Last edited by kalpurush; August 22, 2006 at 05:51 PM..
Old August 22, 2006, 05:23 PM
Test Cricketer

Just hoping that Pakistan will cancel the ODI series against England and come back for a hastily arranged one-day series with us before the Champions Trophy.
Old August 22, 2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricman
It's better to back people in your neighborhood and make friends sans India, u see having good a relationship w/ PCB and SLC will establish more tours on all levels, Test, ODI, FC , List A, 20/20, 6 side, etc.

It doesent matter how nice you are to the BCCI, becuase unless your Australia you usally don't get much in return
You said it.
India took his stands as a betrayer as usal. No new surprize package!
Old August 22, 2006, 05:36 PM
Test Cricketer

Yes Pakistan, we're there with you.
Old August 22, 2006, 08:14 PM
Cricket Legend

There is no evidence that Pakistan did the ball tempering so why this mess? ICC has been very stupid over the years and now they are acting like a dead body. Idiots. They have no control over this game now a days.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old August 22, 2006, 08:49 PM

Quote:
"The Bangladesh Cricket Board, meanwhile, has pledged support to Pakistan while India officials say the ball-tampering issue "cannot be ignored". Indian board secretary Niranjan Shah told the BBC: "We will hold a meeting on it once we get adequate details from the International Cricket Council."
There is NOTHING except few words on BCB in that news, no mention 'who', 'when' even 'what' exactly was the 'statement', all he/she tried to state on BCCI. Neither I see any news on this matter on BD news paper. So I doubt a lot this BBC report on BCB.

But I don't like if they ( BCB ) made any 'statement' on this issue, even if they had to then they should have made it very specific, on which part they support Pakistan and which part they don't. In my opinion, 'ball tempering' and 'refusing to play' is out of question, but 'match officials' should have handled the situation better for 'greatest interest of cricket' and 'audience'. ( something like that )
Old August 23, 2006, 12:25 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

i think the BCB statement is a counter-reaction to that of the Indian one.
Everybody expected the Asian gang to rally behind Pakistand and India, being themselves, had to drop a bombshell, inspite being right on thier own capacity.

So, it became quite imminent on Bangladesh's part to take a stance. With SL and India already voicing thier opinion, we didnt wanna sound like a chicken hiding at the back. as our great leader G W says, "Either you r with ur, or against us".
Everybody knows BD would be behind Pak and its not a big surprise. But by coming out and supporting in public, BCB wants to show that they are by no means a scarred bunch and are decisive in their opinion.

Countries like SA, Aus or WI does NOT need to make an statement. they r already an established power in the game and every body knows who they would gang up, except WI, who needs to be on the Asian side for the future of their own game developement. ( eg, tri-nations in Malaysia is a promise made by India when they voted for us for the WC 2011. now gettin $1M per game.)

I think voicing our support was a good thing. We r one of the elite Ten and even though we dont count much, we need to show we r no backbencher.

It also reflects the widen gap between Bangladesh and Indian Cricket Board, which im happy to see cuz our admins r not spineless beggers to go and support India in every cause.

Who knows, may be BCB can cook something up with PCB in the future. Cuz its quite clear India is not interested at all.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old August 23, 2006, 12:32 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Pakistan had ball tempering issues when they visited England last time. This time when they were accused of the same doing, with no evidence, its okay for them to stand up and restore their pride a bit.

Inzamam is trusting all their players with full of heart but not all their players are trustworthy. I can remember in a recent series where Afridi caught on video tampering with the pitch and when he was caught, he said "he dont know why he did that!" to the enquiry commision.

Can you trust those players who dont know what they are doing...?
Old August 23, 2006, 12:35 AM
Test Cricketer

good decision by the BCB to support PCB. We need to strengthen our ties with Pak and SL and back them whenever they need any kind of backing. With all the flack BD gets about its test status and the two-tier system cropping up every now and then we need boards who will back us when we need it. and BCCI doesn't give a rat's *** about BD cricket, so no need to support them.

By the way, how many test/ODI's involving BD has Hair stood in? were there any controversial decisions against us?
Old August 23, 2006, 12:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Why BCB has to voice it out ? Everybody knows whose side we would be in time of voting. BCB should be more diplomatic. I did not read any SL board support on this issue though we all know where they would go. That should have been our approach.
Why we (ie Bangladesh, India) have to take a stand on every issue. Even ECB a party involve in the incident has not issued anything. So as ACB (Hair is representing ACB). Lobby should just shut up and do some lobbying for getting us some match. But if he did it for getting some match from Pakistan, I do not agree with it. We are making enemy which is not worth.
India talking about 'ball temparing' or 'rule of officials' a joke to me. did not Dravid and tendu got caught by camera for for temparing or did not India and SA played a test match without ICC approved match refererry.
If Hair is 'mini Hitler' then this Shah guy is a 'mini Bush'
Old August 23, 2006, 12:43 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebest
Why BCB has to voice it out ? Everybody knows whose side we would be in time of voting. BCB should be more diplomatic. I did not read any SL board support on this issue though we all know where they would go. That should have been our approach.
wrong. SL has already pledged their support to PCB.
Old August 23, 2006, 12:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by imran78
wrong. SL has already pledged their support to PCB.
Is it. Can you provide me the link. All I saw former SL players supporting Pak team decesion. Ranatunga voiced his opinion, but it was not from his official position, but more on personal note.