facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 9, 2009, 01:27 PM
Cricket Legend
ICC WT20 2016 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza
Default Shakib likely to replace Razzak in Bangalore Royal Challengers

IPL leeway for Shakib
The Daily Star, Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Bangladesh and world's top all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan may join the Bangalore Royal Challenge as a replacement for left-arm spinner Abdur Razzak in the high-profile Indian Premier League (IPL).

Although Shakib was not available to make any comment a sources close to the Bangladesh Cricket Board said that it's matter of time before the official announcement will come from the franchise.

The number one ranked all-rounder in ODIs will be the third Bangladeshi after captain Mohammad Ashraful and his deputy Mashrafe Bin Mortaza to join the IPL if it is officially confirmed.

Razzak played for the Bangalore Royal Challenge as the lone Bangladeshi player in the IPL last year. But the left-arm spinner is now going through a rehabilitation programme after being called for suspect action during the home series against New Zealand in November.

Shakib was one of the four Bangladeshi cricketers who were up in last Friday's IPL auction but much to the surprise of many in-form left-hander failed to entice a buyer along with dashing opener Tamim Iqbal.

Ashraful was purchased by Mumbai Indians at his base price of US$ 75,000 but it was Mashrafe who took the center-stage with a whopping cheque of 6,00,000 dollars.

Old February 9, 2009, 01:32 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Very good news indeed. Was expecting one of these to come.
So, does it mean he plays for Razzak's price???

Then the RBC got the best steal of the year.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old February 9, 2009, 01:33 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Not really a good news I am afraid. I would have liked if both Razzak and Shakib could have played. I think Razzak's action will be sorted out before the start of the IPL.
Old February 9, 2009, 01:36 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

booo!!! booo!!!
Old February 9, 2009, 01:38 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

oops I just opened another thread in IPL section......Sorry.

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...756#post828756

Mod Bhai era please merge or delete my thread.
Old February 9, 2009, 01:43 PM
Cricket Legend
ICC WT20 2016 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
Very good news indeed. Was expecting one of these to come.
So, does it mean he plays for Razzak's price???

Then the RBC got the best steal of the year.
I think he will be getting the same price as Razzak did, but if the amount stated on Royal Challengers' website is true (which is $120,000) than it won't be that bad. Although I don't want him to play for that stupid team, cause he will hardly be given the chance to play and even if they give it will be the same way they gave it to Razzak last year. Therefore it will be better if he is picked up as a replacement player for any other team, which will also at the same time allow Razzak to stay there if he can sort out his action before the IPL starts.
Old February 9, 2009, 01:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Not really a good news I am afraid. I would have liked if both Razzak and Shakib could have played. I think Razzak's action will be sorted out before the start of the IPL.
Agree, would love both of them to play. but if razzak can't play then it's better if shakib takes his place.
so in that sense it's a good news.
Old February 9, 2009, 01:46 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
oops I just opened another thread in IPL section......Sorry.

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...756#post828756

Mod Bhai era please merge or delete my thread.
Nothing to be sorry for. Actually you did the right thing.
+++
By the way, no player gets an automatic selection. They have to perform. At the nets first and then when the lights are on.
Old February 9, 2009, 01:51 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
booo!!! booo!!!
Why booo? I am sure Sakib won't be booing if the news is correct. He has a right to maximize his financial solvency. I won't boo you if you triple your salary! Come on T_E man !
Old February 9, 2009, 02:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

Quote:
booo!!! booo!!!
T_E vai, don't be so mad. T20 is now a part of cricket, think of it as a guilty pleasure, good for a while but never to be addicted to it. I'm sure Shakib of all people understands that. He could use the money and exposure. Rest can be just minor details.
Old February 9, 2009, 03:32 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
Why booo? I am sure Sakib won't be booing if the news is correct. He has a right to maximize his financial solvency. I won't boo you if you triple your salary! Come on T_E man !
triple my salary? something fishy/dodgy reason must be there. I am not worthy even with what I get now (not complaining though).
+++
I was happy when Shakib wasn't selected in first auction. Two reasons.
1) His would become more hungry.
2) He would look elsewhere such as county cricket. Getting a two year contract with any county team would be 10x better batsman than whatever $120,000 would teach him. ei shob IPL kheile ki Imran Khan'er cheye better player howa jai?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siraji
...I'm sure Shakib of all people understands that...
Siraji bhaia,
I hope Shakib understands that. If he truly does then I may be okay with him replacing Abdur Razzak (but he is just 21, so I doubt).
Old February 9, 2009, 03:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Shakib should reject this deal. He should not replace a fellow Bangladeshi. I'm sure he will find another club. England players will not be available for the last 3 weeks so I think he can replace Bopara or Collingwood.

And why does Banglalore have to replace Razzak. He should be back by the time IPL starts.
Old February 9, 2009, 04:01 PM
Cricket Legend

It is not really a good news as raz wont get to play , but its nioce to see that people are interested in his abilities. IMHO he should decline this offer and see if a county cricket team offers him a contract. As long as I can remember , there was one county cricket team that offered him a contract but he declined it due to international duties, Northhampshire I think.
Old February 9, 2009, 04:10 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: iqbal,ishant,southee

what a good news
Old February 9, 2009, 05:07 PM
Cricket Savant

lmfao@ "rehabilation programme"

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old February 9, 2009, 05:20 PM
Street Cricketer

Shakib has been in great form in the recent past. Keeping that in mind, it was surprising that he was not originally chosen at the IPL auction. Now that he has been chosen to represent the Bangalore Royal Challengers, it would be interesting how his spell with the Challengers pans out. Before getting too ahead, the first question that one must ponder is whether he would be able to get in the playing XI considering some of the foreign players already in the team. Nevertheless, it is a step in the one direction; that is forward.
Old February 9, 2009, 06:01 PM
Cricket Sage

if he does join...who's his competittion kallis???
Old February 9, 2009, 06:40 PM
Cricket Legend

No, I don't think so. Kallis would be playing IPL mainly as a batsman. For T20, Kallis won't hold a candle to sakib in terms of quick scoring.
Old February 9, 2009, 06:53 PM
Cricket Sage

from what i understand these replacements are getting a contract for 1 year only ( do correct me if i'm wrong on this) so if sakib can prove his worth given that he plays a decent amount of match for bangalore..come next year he will be up for sale and who knows maybe even end up with a bigger deal than mashrafee
Old February 9, 2009, 10:31 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Razzak is unable to play due to his wrong actions. Even if he has corrected, RD won't be very keen to play him, given the performance of last year. If Shakib gets a chance I hope he will get to play a few matches & if he can perform well, he makes his ground in IPL for the next year's bidding.
Old February 10, 2009, 10:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
triple my salary? something fishy/dodgy reason must be there. I am not worthy even with what I get now (not complaining though).
+++
I was happy when Shakib wasn't selected in first auction. Two reasons.
1) His would become more hungry.
2) He would look elsewhere such as county cricket. Getting a two year contract with any county team would be 10x better batsman than whatever $120,000 would teach him. ei shob IPL kheile ki Imran Khan'er cheye better player howa jai?

I don't think IPL would teach Sakib anything. I hope it doesn't affect his mindset. To me, IPL is a business venture and Shakib just got a lot of money. Knowing him, he'll be fine. He was not too keen about that in the first place, apparently.

On the other hand, now a days a county contract is not as easy as it was during Inran Khan's days. Very few South Asians play in county and those that do are old veterans. With the dogma associated with Muslim And Bangladeshi, doubt Shakib can get a contract there. Though It'd be fantastic if he could.

So in the end, something is better than nothing.
Old February 11, 2009, 12:20 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

can't blame the IPL for wanting to replace razzak. if his action is fixed he should come back, but as of now, he's a liability.

i think sakib is smart enough to realize this is a backdoor into the IPL. he needs to bag the money, and prove his hunger for a real contract in the international arena.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 11, 2009, 07:51 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
can't blame the IPL for wanting to replace razzak. if his action is fixed he should come back, but as of now, he's a liability.

i think sakib is smart enough to realize this is a backdoor into the IPL. he needs to bag the money, and prove his hunger for a real contract in the international arena.
But Raz only got to play one match, most probably Sakib will get the same. After IPL Raz's form also started to go down I believe (sorry no stat available but all I know he started to go down in ranking)

Someone also mentioned about county, but who will arrange those for Sakib? I don't know how exactly county contracts are made.
Old February 11, 2009, 10:32 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

would be sad that Razzak is going out. But still Shakib gets a chance! Also theres talk of Shakib being a replacement player for Kolkata Knight Riders! Lets see where he turns out to be
Old February 11, 2009, 11:16 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS
But Raz only got to play one match, most probably Sakib will get the same. After IPL Raz's form also started to go down I believe (sorry no stat available but all I know he started to go down in ranking)

Someone also mentioned about county, but who will arrange those for Sakib? I don't know how exactly county contracts are made.
u wud have to be completely retarded to make the number 1 allrounder in the world play only one match...